PDA

View Full Version : Whats Up With Ben?

SteelMusic
11-03-2008, 10:54 PM
Can we have a serious discussion about why Lefty came in and our Offense looked 100% better. This is not a trade Ben or a Bench Ben thread, but seriously.

Don't get it twisted, I am a huge Big Ben fan. But you would have to have blinders on to not see or admit there was a HUGE DIFFERENCE.

Part of me thinks that the Oline woke up after they seen there Million dollar QB go down and the other half knows that Lefty was simply making better reads and getting the ball out.

I just hope that while Ben is out he takes the time to get it right. Lets go Steelers. :tt02:

fansince'76
11-03-2008, 10:55 PM
I think Ben's shoulder has been bothering him more than anybody's let on. He's been off for weeks now.

SteelMusic
11-03-2008, 10:57 PM
Could be. That would make sense.

The Duke
11-03-2008, 11:00 PM
Shoulder is my theory

sackss have been taking a toll on him

xXTheSteelKingsXx
11-03-2008, 11:02 PM
I think that maybe it has something to do with the Skins gameplanning for Ben and not Lefty. Not really sure why though.

Edman
11-03-2008, 11:04 PM
Several recievers dropped easy passes tonight. But it's obvious Ben's shoulder is hampering his play.

iloveben7
11-03-2008, 11:06 PM
Well Ben's been beat up a lot and I think it finally had an effect on him as you can see, he didn't play in the 2nd half at all. Also the receivers dropped a lot of passes early in the game. And also the Redskins game planned to control Ben, not Leftwich.

steelergirl07
11-03-2008, 11:12 PM
I think it's because he has been taking an ass lickin.

X-Terminator
11-03-2008, 11:14 PM
I think the shoulder and the general beating he's taken this season has started to affect him. I said during the 1st half of the Ravens game that he looked tentative and gunshy because of all of the punishment he'd taken, and it still holds true today.

(cue the "quit making excuses for Ben" and "start Leftwich over Ben" posts in 3...2...1...)

tony hipchest
11-03-2008, 11:15 PM
Several recievers dropped easy passes tonight. But it's obvious Ben's shoulder is hampering his play.
"easy"? have you made those types of receptions? wr's dropped passes where they were getting held or blasted.

iloveben7
11-03-2008, 11:17 PM
^yeah but they've been making those kinds of plays in the past and it is the NFL

SteelMusic
11-03-2008, 11:22 PM
I think the shoulder and the general beating he's taken this season has started to affect him. I said during the 1st half of the Ravens game that he looked tentative and gunshy because of all of the punishment he'd taken, and it still holds true today.

True. Ben has happy feet because of that OLine. I hope that our pathetic OL hasn't shook Bens confidence to bad. That's how you screw up a QB's head. Hope that doesn't have any lasting effects.

nojobny
11-03-2008, 11:24 PM
I think Ben's shoulder has been bothering him more than anybody's let on. He's been off for weeks now.

ITA and I think they were just afraid to admit it b/c the schedule is so rough.

Keep in mind that the Skins prepped all week for Ben. When Leftwich came in, it threw all their plans out of sorts.

It didn't hurt that our D was kicking butt again (thankfully!)

I guarantee the Colts will be watching the film of this game with a special focus on Byron.

X-Terminator
11-03-2008, 11:27 PM
True. Ben has happy feet because of that OLine. I hope that our pathetic OL hasn't shook Bens confidence to bad. That's how you screw up a QB's head. Hope that doesn't have any lasting effects.

A horrible OL ruined the careers of Tim Couch and David Carr (especially Carr - being sacked 75 times in one season is enough to kill any QB's confidence). As good and as tough as Ben is, it can happen to him too. So the Steelers need to quit ignoring the line and bring some quality talent in to protect the franchise and keep him productive.

Edman
11-03-2008, 11:29 PM
Ben was healthy the majority of last year despite the pounding he got. This year, he obviously isn't in the best of health. Just like in 2006 when he was playing at 75-80 percent over the course of the season, ironically, the O-Line sucked ass that year too.

His shoulder is posing a problem. Doesn't help when you have an O-Line that sucks and WR's who decide not to catch.

The guy needs a break.

shevdog
11-03-2008, 11:33 PM
I am not at all a Lefty fan. (but kudos on the second half). I do think Ben should sit out the next couple weeks and heal up. He's been playing somewhat hurt most of the season. No need to get banged up more since we are a couple wins away from the post season. In other news, watch out for Steelers fans and their favorite pasttime... QB bashing. I'm sure before I was born they were saying bench Bradshaw. LOL!

SteelMusic
11-03-2008, 11:33 PM
The guy needs a break.

So do we give it to him, or keep on starting him even if he is only about 70% because of the money?

I say let him get healthy if Byron can hold us down for a few weeks.:tt03:

fansince'76
11-03-2008, 11:36 PM
So do we give it to him, or keep on starting him even if he is only about 70% because of the money?

I say let him get healthy if Byron can hold us down for a few weeks.:tt03:

Absolutely. I suggested a few weeks ago before the bye that we should maybe think about sitting Ben for the Jax game and give him an extra week of rest as our bye was the following week. Ironically, the Jax game was the last game he looked really sharp in.

iloveben7
11-03-2008, 11:39 PM
I've only become a huge fan of the Steelers, since Ben came into the league, so I haven't experienced all the past QB bashing, but i know how much the Steeler Nation gets on Ben and it annoys the crap out of me. My mom's told me stories of the Bradshaw bashing and such.

steelreserve
11-04-2008, 12:19 AM
All I saw tonight was that Leftwich came in and looked methodical and precise. Ben has been playing QB like a guy chasing a bus. The difference couldn't have been more obvious, and tonight one style worked and the other didn't.

Bottom line is, Ben is capable of playing a lot better than this. Have all the sacks put him into panic mode? Is he taking too many bad chances because he's trying too hard to carry the team? Is he just in a slump? I don't know. But maybe he should take a lesson from tonight and work a little bit of calm-the-hell-down back into his game. I don't want to see him try to be a methodical pocket passer all the time, but Jesus Christ, every pass attempt doesn't need to be a three-ring circus either.

RoethlisBURGHer
11-04-2008, 12:33 AM
I think it's a combination of Ben's injuries and I think he had lost faith in the current offensive line.

I say we should make Ben the #2 QB for the Colts game and start Lefty. if Lefty does well then Ben gets some much needed rest and healing. If Lefty plays like crap, he's quickly pulled and Ben is inserted.

I also think the play calling changed a lil bit when Lefty came in. We ran the ball more so we could use the Play-Action and we threw more quick outs and slants.

I don't understand why we cannot do that with Ben in, why everything has to be 15 yards downfield.

ricksteelers55
11-04-2008, 01:10 AM
Ben is injured to the bones.Come on how many deep pass did he underthrow this year compare to past years ?

He is a warrior.He's not playing his best football right now but he will bounce back.

There's a lot of teams that would still take him at his 50% instead of their starting QB so let's be proud of the depth we have at the most important position in football.

Man,our 4th QB is even better than the Lions Starter(Kitna)

Go Steelers

ChronoCross
11-04-2008, 01:54 AM
why not first look at the WRs and ask hey why can you not catch the balls that were dropped that ben threw to them..

Steel Duck
11-04-2008, 01:55 AM
Poor Ben is beat up...Kinda scary since the season is only half over!
That being said, I thought Lefty was great tonight!!!!! It ended up being a kick ass win!!!:applaudit::tt02::tt::tt03::thumbsup:

steelpride12
11-04-2008, 06:11 AM
Shoulder injury, but minor. On ESPN this morning Tomlin quoted that Ben could have come back in, but with how well Lefty was playing they just kept him out.

Michael Keller
11-04-2008, 06:30 AM
All that is happening to Ben was enevitable . All the post here to fore have said it all. Careers can be ruined as it was previouslly pointed out.

I just have to believe the Steeler coaches see the underlying problem > I never thought I would be quoting Keyshawn Johnson when he stated that he is concerned about a shortened career
if Ben keeps taking the hits he is taking.

Great victory . This defense is as solid as I have seen since the 1970's. Solid performance in every phase , including coaching.

Edman
11-04-2008, 06:52 AM
All I saw tonight was that Leftwich came in and looked methodical and precise. Ben has been playing QB like a guy chasing a bus. The difference couldn't have been more obvious, and tonight one style worked and the other didn't.

Bottom line is, Ben is capable of playing a lot better than this. Have all the sacks put him into panic mode? Is he taking too many bad chances because he's trying too hard to carry the team? Is he just in a slump? I don't know. But maybe he should take a lesson from tonight and work a little bit of calm-the-hell-down back into his game. I don't want to see him try to be a methodical pocket passer all the time, but Jesus Christ, every pass attempt doesn't need to be a three-ring circus either.

Yeah, he is. He is much better than what he played. We all know that.

But is it his fault the offensive line sucks and the WR's decided not to catch? How many dropped passes did you count last night? It also seems that playcalling as well as the execution got a little bit better with Leftwich in the game, even then, Leftwich was still knocked around and harassed a bit.

Edman
11-04-2008, 07:00 AM
I also think the play calling changed a lil bit when Lefty came in. We ran the ball more so we could use the Play-Action and we threw more quick outs and slants.

I don't understand why we cannot do that with Ben in, why everything has to be 15 yards downfield.

Because Arians is a fool. The Steelers are supremely talented, but in all honesty, we're not and can't be the Coryell Chargers. This Offensive Line will not allow it. Last night was a case of Ben doing too much and not working. 17 passes? Talk about jumping the gun, don't you think? Again, doesn't help when WR's were dropping passes left and right.

Notice how we never used the no-huddle or called any short passes for the game. Once again.

Ben will return next week, and he will be good.

Steeldude
11-04-2008, 07:23 AM
BR needs to learn how to consistently make plays while in the pocket, not running around. schoolyard plays only last for so long. ask vick.

this is not to say it's all BR's fault. the O-line is ugh!, arians playcalling is sometimes ugh! and the WRs drop passes they should catch. holmes dropped at least 2 to 3 passes last night.

what has ken anderson done for BR? has BR improved/grown much since his rookie season?

Stlrs4Life
11-04-2008, 07:38 AM

I agree. And Leftwich did get rid of the ball alot sooner. Also, when he had to, he threw it away. Ben hasn't done that in awhile.

Dino 6 Rings
11-04-2008, 07:40 AM
I would like to see Ben try and run a little more. Last night there was a 3rd and short that he stepped up into the pocket for, felt the pressure, he should have just took off and ran straight ahead for the 1st down, instead he studder stepped, pump faked and gave the DE time to uncover from his block and make the "sack" tackle.

For some reason, Ben doesn't seem to want to scramble for yardage like he did when he was a Rookie or even in the SB year.

Tagg67
11-04-2008, 07:49 AM
The offense did play a lot better with Leftwich, and Holmes starting catching passes. Maybe it is me, but the balls seemed to have more zip on them with Leftwich, and the receivers still were catching almost all of them. I do believe Ben is hurt to the bones, and needs time to get healed and get his rhythm back.

I would like to point out the Great Job the Defense did keeping Washington to only 3 points :applaudit::applaudit::applaudit::applaudit::appla udit::tt02::tt:

GREAT JOB DEFENSE!!!!!

SteelMember
11-04-2008, 07:49 AM
Big Ben says all the right things about his line after a game, but they haven't afforded him any comfort zone. He realizes the clock is ticking and is obviously gunshy. The injuries he has sustained is a direct result from his lack of protection and lack of confidence in the pocket.

Byron had a very productive game, but he is healthy. If he takes seven weeks of getting banged around, his play would decline also and he probably wouldn't even remain in the lineup.

Also, I don't think the play calling was altered as much as some would believe. The staff had a gameplan, and the team all prepared the same way. Byron had some better success on his checkdowns and those high velocity passes to the sidelines, but I believe both QB's took their shots downfield.

jsteelers51191
11-04-2008, 07:57 AM
When Ben is behind center, he likes to shift around in the pocket. Let's just take a LT for example. When LT knows a 5-step drop is called, he's blocking with the intentions of blocking for a 5 step drop. But the difference is when ben is in, he scrambles and shifts all throughout the pocket and when he does, The rushers don't need to go straight through the o-lineman and can take a flatter angle and you'll see this where Ben will sometimes run himself into sacks and defenders because the rushers are just naturally more agile and quicker than the o-lineman and the o-lineman can't react to Ben being all over the pocket. They have no idea where he is gonna be from play to play and I believe that it signifigantly deteriorates the o-linemans play, and you saw that when lefty came in and was signifigantly more productive and decisive.

Glace
11-04-2008, 08:09 AM
There was one major difference between Ben and Lefty last night....Poise.

Lefty had it. Ben has lost it.

I just don't think Ben has any faith in the line, the receivers, and mainly himself anymore.

I think the best cure for Ben right now is a big win, multiple TD passes, etc. He needs to relax and have fun again. He's not having any fun on his back.

If Lefty can come off the bench and all of a sudden our offense is firing on all cylinders, Ben is the issue. It will be scary when Ben gets right in his head and we're firing on all cylinders with him.

steel striker
11-04-2008, 08:13 AM
I say rest Ben for a week and, then see how he feels. Lefty played real well last night. Now who knows why thr wr dropped three or four passes from Ben one should have been a td with Holmes. Also was I seeing things or did they protect Lefty better than Ben? I know lefty did get rid off the ball a pinch sooner than Ben.

We all know how beat up Ben is and, this is why you have a very capable number 2 qb on your team. Still I think for the colt game play lefty and, let Ben rest. Everyone knows I'm a big Big Ben fan and supporter. Having said that Ben needs to heal up and, we will need for the playoff push.

Glace
11-04-2008, 08:28 AM
They said Ben could have come back in after halftime last night, so if worse came to worse and something happened to Lefty, Ben could step in.

Glace
11-04-2008, 08:28 AM
The only other thought I had last night....

Ben says he calls a lot of his own plays....I guarantee Lefty didn't. Was Lefty following Arians' playcalling and it was working while Ben calls his own crap and it fails?

RJC
11-04-2008, 08:29 AM
Many people have theories as to what it is that's wrong with BR. I have mine as well, it goes like this. There's a major difference in this years offense from last years. It's mostly circumstantial, but it's different just the same. Last season our run game was dominating. It allowed Ben to feast off of play action and be the play maker he can be. This year with Parker & Mendenhall being down, defenses are keying solely on him. They've basically ignored Mewelde Moore, and focused soley of Ben. He is not the kind of QB you want throwing the ball 35-40 times a game. He's just not. It's not a knock on him, it's simply fact. Arians offenses since he was at Temple appear to be more about stats than winning games. We need to bring back the FB in this offense, and I'm not talking Carey Davis. We need another hammer ala Dan Kreider. We need to get back to our "SmashMouth" roots and start dictating tempo in games. This O-Line is not built to pass block. It's not what they do well. They're at their best when they're firing off the ball and being the aggressor. Ben is always looking for the homerun. It's why he holds the ball so long. Waiting, waiting, waiting, for someone to get open down the field. He doesn't got through his progressions, and almost refuses to take his check downs. In a run first offense, with a lot of play action it allows Ben to go for the long ball more, but you have to have a dominant run game. As of right now, we don't, and until we get back to that approach Ben will continue to suffer....

memphissteelergirl
11-04-2008, 08:58 AM

I think there is some truth to that. Ben hates to be out of the game if he can help it, and I think it just finally caught up to him last night.

Both Nate and Santonio had a bad case of butterfingers last night. I hope they pull their heads out of their butts before Sunday.

xfl2001fan
11-04-2008, 09:07 AM
So Lefty comes in and plays well. It's the "backup" syndrome. Teams tee off on Ben knowing that he can beat them. They game plan for him above and beyond anybody else on that Steelers offense.

Who's game planning for Lefty? That would be nobody. He's only good as a backup...because the instant he becomes a starter, teams pull Jaguars film and plan (during the week) on how to stop him.

Washington wasn't ready for Lefty. He wasn't expected to play. I'm guessing your next opponent will devote a little bit of film study to Lefty knowing that Ben is hurting.

Steely McSmash
11-04-2008, 11:20 AM
.... Just like in 2006 when he was playing at 75-80 percent over the course of the season, ironically, the O-Line sucked ass that year too. ...

How is that ironic?

steelreserve
11-04-2008, 11:20 AM
There was one major difference between Ben and Lefty last night....Poise.

Lefty had it. Ben has lost it.

I just don't think Ben has any faith in the line, the receivers, and mainly himself anymore.

I think the best cure for Ben right now is a big win, multiple TD passes, etc. He needs to relax and have fun again. He's not having any fun on his back.

If Lefty can come off the bench and all of a sudden our offense is firing on all cylinders, Ben is the issue. It will be scary when Ben gets right in his head and we're firing on all cylinders with him.

Exactly. They were coming at both QBs all night, but Leftwich handled it like a veteran -- by USING HIS HEAD. He read the defense and made safer, opportunistic throws. Hell, he even changed some plays at the line and they worked. When's the last time you saw Ben do that?

Ben is definitely capable of playing better, and we've got all the tools for a great offense, but it just looks like something's messing with his head. Maybe he's trying too hard to carry the team, or maybe all the ass-kickings have finally gotten to him. But reverting to sandlot football isn't working. If Ben finally settles down and gets his shit together, we ought to be scoring 30 points a game.

sweeeed
11-04-2008, 11:35 AM

Very good point. Though Holmes should've caught some of Ben's earlier passes, he just wasn't making good throws. This continous barrage of sacks, hurrys, pressures, and hits are starting to show.

Steely McSmash
11-04-2008, 11:38 AM
I think Ben's head is not quite right. I think this is a result of being shell shocked by all the sacks, coaching and the injury.

He's not moving like he used to. He used to roll outside of the pocket and make great throws from the flat. He was incredibly accurate out of the pocket.

I can't recall many plays this year where he has scrambled and threw from the flat. This year he senses some pressure, takes one or two steps of scrambling and then stops. The problem with this is that one or two steps in the pocket puts him pretty much next to some DL player who typically releases his block and gets the sack.

He should either continue and pick up some yards or move laterally just behind the line of scrimage to get the underneath coverage to pull in vs the run and make a throw to an open receiver.

I'm not sure if he's being coached into being a pocket passer instead of the roll-outs or not. It's clearly not working. Guys that are a natural at staying in the pocket tend to hop around back there like a parrakeet. One step forward and one step back etc. Ben kind of half takes off and then stops.

atlsteelers
11-04-2008, 03:08 PM
He is beat up - taking way too many hits and his OC seems oblivious. lets go into the head of bruce arians - its first down with a half yard for a TD. My qb has been taking a beating all season so lets give the ball to him so he can take another hit on that soar shoulder.

wiseloveshissteelers
11-04-2008, 03:27 PM
i think that leftwich did a great job a stepping up after ben got hurt ... leftwich is a great QB look at the time he played for marshal with a broken shin and the oline was caring him down the field and he one the game ... but i dont think that the steelers could do with out good old ben i think he is more mobile then leftwich ... :tt:

St33lersguy
11-04-2008, 03:34 PM
probably health issues considering he was out of this world vs. Jacksonville

Preacher
11-04-2008, 04:07 PM
As I said before..

SIT BEN FOR NOVEMBER.

Just let him heal.

Then bring him in December to prep for the playoffs.

DACEB
11-04-2008, 04:40 PM
I think Ben sitting might be a good idea for a game. I don't want to see Lefty out there too long, defenses will catch up to him.

It might do Ben some good to rest and see the game from the sidelines. I agree that the shoulder is sore, Ben hasn't had the same zip. But there seems to be a mental issue as well. He needs to trust his instincts and let go of the ball. And darnit he needs to start hitting the checkdown, he is not even looking his way.

Take a rest Ben, slow it down and then come back. Take what the defense gives you, you don't need to try and win the game on every play.

I really think if Ben could just slow down and execute he wouldn't be on his back as much. Get the ball out of your hands. Let it fly over the top when they have no safety help because of the blitz. Hit the checkdown, he's nearly always open for a gain. If your going to fake the WR screen and then hand off, try actually throwing it sometimes so that the fake works. If you execute the simple things you might see the defense back off a little.

steelpride12
11-04-2008, 04:44 PM
KDKA just gave us bad news on the TV that Ben probably dislocated his shoulder and him and Miller are status as doubtful against the Colts. So lets just give Left and Spaeth our hearts and wish them luck!

DACEB
11-04-2008, 04:54 PM
That's tough news, but Spaeth can use the work and experience. And Ben needs the rest after all.

BTW, Spaeth needs to learn to stay on his feet and deliver a blow to the tackler, not jump in the air and spin so the ball comes out. Just sayin...

Makaveli
11-04-2008, 05:20 PM
Can we have a serious discussion about why Lefty came in and our Offense looked 100% better. This is not a trade Ben or a Bench Ben thread, but seriously.

Don't get it twisted, I am a huge Big Ben fan. But you would have to have blinders on to not see or admit there was a HUGE DIFFERENCE.

Part of me thinks that the Oline woke up after they seen there Million dollar QB go down and the other half knows that Lefty was simply making better reads and getting the ball out.

I just hope that while Ben is out he takes the time to get it right. Lets go Steelers. :tt02:

To be honest,..and this is not me "hating" on Roethlisberger. But i have said it from day one. (his rookie year) He has the physical stature and athletic ability, but he is not a cerebral player. Henceforth the reason he attempts to hold the ball for 5-10 seconds. (Also been saying this for years)

This lack of mental dexterity is why he is at his best when plays breakdown and go "schoolyard". Because he cannot function as a true x's and o's Qb in terms of making the proper throws after the proper reads with any degree of speed or decisiveness.

This is why he is not evolving as a QB. Evolving into the elite QB that he and many Steeler faithful would like for him to be.

Perhaps if the organization, his peers, his coaches his friends and family would stop coddling and or catering to him and help him to understand the value of film and offseason preparation he could grow ?

This will most likely be deemed "heresy" by many here,.....but this is the reason why when Byron entered the game,...suddenly,.....the O-line can block,.....suddenly we actually have an offense that can put up points.

This is not to say Byron is an overly exceptionally QB,.....but he is a QUARTERBACK. And he does what is required of him,.....his job,.....no more, no less.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-04-2008, 05:23 PM
. Take what the defense gives you, you don't need to try and win the game on every play.

Probably the most concise bit of analysis and advice, that Steeler fans (especially hardcore Ben fans) dont want to hear.

He's signed for the next 10 seasons anyways, so I think as he matures, that will become a bigger part of his game.

Edman
11-04-2008, 05:45 PM
Perhaps if the organization, his peers, his coaches his friends and family would stop coddling and or catering to him and help him to understand the value of film and offseason preparation he could grow ?

This will most likely be deemed "heresy" by many here,.....but this is the reason why when Byron entered the game,...suddenly,.....the O-line can block,.....suddenly we actually have an offense that can put up points.

Byron was knocked around quite a bit and had a few more sacks put on him. The O-Line didn't improve for jack. Is it Ben's fault recievers are sleepwalking for him? How many dropped passes did you count? Yeah, there was a big difference. The recievers decided to play, and the offense was reeled in to make Byron comfortable. I have not seen one instance thus year where there was playcalling to help Ben establish a rhythm. It seems with Arians, he wants Ben to go deep and intermediate 80% of the time. Slants and short passes are rarely called, and the no-huddle is never used. Arians tries getting cute with Ben and it doesn't work. We went SHOTGUN on 3rd and 2! You conveniently forgot to mention the NEGATIVE yard drive under Byron. You also conveniently forgot to mention Ben's TD drive that gave the Steelers the lead.

If Ben is such a detriment to the Steelers Offense, why were they so efficient in Jacksonville, Cincy, Second Half Baltimore, and Houston this year? And threw for 32 TD's last year, all while playing "schoolyard"? Time and time again people like you demonstrate why you cannot be taken seriously. A called back TD pass against the Giants changed the entire complexity of that game, and we probably wouldn't be talking about this right now if it wasn't.

The Offensive Line is Garbage, and the playcalling has been far from helpful. And Ben has paid the price. He is not healthy. I'd like to see you come back here when Ben has a good game and tell us how much he sucks or is an irresponsible dumbass. But seeing as how you haven't showed up until after the Giants game with your "Big Pick Oafishberger" post, I doubt.

PolamaluPower
11-04-2008, 05:49 PM
Ben is injured and the sacks and hits are taking their toll. He's tough and I'm not sure if there's another QB in the NFL that could take the beating that Ben has.

Thank you for your post and wording it so nicely. After reading the message board on pittsburghsteelers.com I am sick. Some of the fans over there horrify me.

PolamaluPower
11-04-2008, 05:51 PM
I also wanted to add Leftwich isn't our QB. There's a reason he was let go from Jacksonville and if he started we'd all see that reason again. I personally don't like him as a Steeler. I am perfectly satisfied with Charlie Batch being our backup.

stillers4me
11-04-2008, 05:53 PM
It's kind of a relief knowing that Ben will sit and give his body a break. Our backups have stepped up this season and this will be no different. Tomin will accept no excuses.

That's what makes us so different this year over last year. I think we are seeing the blueprint for Mike Tomlin's Steelers of the future. We are going to be a physical football team (Steelers fans rejoice!) But you must have depth, because being physical has it's downside. Last year our lack of depth killed us and I think that seems to be one of Tomlin's priorities for the future of this team.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-04-2008, 06:02 PM
If Ben is such a detriment to the Steelers Offense, why were they so efficient in Jacksonville, Cincy, and Houston this year?

The Offensive Line is Garbage, and the playcalling has been far from helpful. And Ben has paid the price. He is not healthy.

You are kidding right?? JAX, CIN, HOU are a combined 7-18 this season and at least 2 games under .500. I can answer that one.....we were efficient against them because they are not good teams.

I love the notion that the Offensive line is garbage. Would you rather have the Super Bowl line of Smith, Faneca, Hartings, Simmons and Starks?? Maybe coached by Russ Grimm instead of Zeirline?

I agree with what Makiveli is saying. Ben several times this season has ignored the guy underneath, while looking for the big play to open. I think it was against the Browns he threw a deep ball to Parker in the endzone, while Holmes was open for 15 yards and a first down. He had another in the first half last night when he went deep to the right, while Holmes came open underneath.

Ben is a big play QB, who admittedly never liked film session and sometimes makes big plays when he gambles. He will eventually learn to take what the defense gives him instead of trying to take what he wants.

I'm not a hater, I got my son a Ben jersey before he ever threw a pass in the NFL and we are still Big Ben fans.....I just try to be objective and see weaknesses and strengths.

SteelersJW
11-04-2008, 06:05 PM
He really didn't look good before he went out at the end of the first half. Except for the touchdown drive he was having trouble making good throws. I don't want to sound like one of those sonsabitches who act like Ben sucks, but mabye we should start Leftwich next week if Ben isn't feeling close to 100%?