PDA

View Full Version : ???Charles Rogers???

BB2W
12-06-2005, 01:44 PM
Would anyone like to see the Steelers consider bringing in this guy??? His days are numbered in Detroit. He will probabaly be somewhere else next year. He has been injured for most of his time in the NFL, but he was an amazing talent in college. He has also had some off the field issues so I doubt the Steelers would give him a chance, but the could get a player with a lot of talent for cheap. Would anyone want to touch this guy?

I also noticed Peerless Price was released again... he may be done forever. We kinda already have one of these type of guys in Quincy Morgan. I would like to see a bigger faster WR opposite Ward... either draft one, bring in a FA, or give Quincy a chance.

Charles Rogers was healthy and ready to play after what he thought was a good week of practice.

Before the Detroit Lions lost to Minnesota yesterday, interim coach Dick Jauron chose to deactivate Rogers.

Jauron said the move was made because other players were needed to play special teams.

"I was a little shocked," Rogers said.

Rogers, the second pick overall in 2003, refused to speculate on his future with the Lions.

Clearly, it doesn't look good.

Rogers was suspended for four games earlier this year for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy. He was eligible to return against Minnesota Nov. 6, but former coach Steve Mariucci left him home after a lackluster week of practice.

The Lions have filed a grievance against Rogers, seeking a return of $10.1 million of his $14.4 million signing bonus because when he was suspended for four games he was in default, according to his contract.

"Between the Dallas game and this game a lot of things have changed," said Rogers, referring to the Nov. 20 game when the grievance against him became public.

Rogers has 11 catches for 126 yards in six games this season and has not scored since his rookie year.

link-----> http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05339/617395.stm

BB2W
12-06-2005, 02:02 PM
Here are some of the notable 2006 free agents at WR...

Andre' Davis UFA Patriots
Antonio Bryant UFA Browns
Antwaan Randle El UFA Steelers
Arnaz Battle RFA 49ers
Az-Zahir Hakim UFA Saints
Brandon Lloyd RFA 49ers
Corey Bradford UFA Texans
David Boston UFA Dolphins
David Givens UFA Patriots
David Tyree RFA Giants
Ike Hilliard UFA Buccaneers
Jabar Gaffney UFA Texans
Joe Jurevicius UFA Seahawks
Keenan McCardell UFA Chargers
Kelley Washington RFA Bengals
Kevin Johnson UFA Lions
Koren Robinson UFA Vikings
Nate Burleson RFA Vikings
Peerless Price UFA Cowboys
Peter Warrick UFA Seahawks
Quincy Morgan UFA Steelers
Reche Caldwell UFA Chargers
Reggie Wayne UFA Colts
Troy Brown UFA Patriots

TasmanianTroy271
12-06-2005, 04:39 PM
I wanna see us draft Clinton Solomon out of Iowa... He already looks good in Black and Gold, and he's 6'3"

BlitzburghRockCity
12-06-2005, 05:19 PM
Wouldnt mind us taking a shot at burleson and taking him away from the vikings.... Rogers was a huge talent but his injuries would worry me some.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
12-06-2005, 05:28 PM
I would love to see charles rogers in black and gold. but his price tag will be higher then the steelers are willing to go......

Iron City Hangover
12-06-2005, 05:49 PM
I would love to see charles rogers in black and gold. but his price tag will be higher then the steelers are willing to go......
His price tag will be high because of the amount of dope he buys on a weekly basis. Without drugs, Rogers would be playing. The injuries are BS. Steelers need quality and "character" people. Not two-bit thugs, stone hands (Quincy Morgan) or dope addicts.

Koopa
12-06-2005, 05:58 PM
why do ppl call morgan stone hands??????? i ain't seen him drop a lot, even though he doesn't get a chance but when he does he has been very productive with the ball

SalukiSteelers
12-06-2005, 06:20 PM
No C-Rodge, please.

The guy has been a bust in Detroit, IMO. He has been "injured" and suspended for drugs and it's obvious the Lions have given up the guy. How bad do you have to be to have that franchise give up on you?

I'm not saying they're geniuses in D-town, obvioulsy, but even MeatHead Millen sees that they made a mistake with this dude. Pittsburgh isn't the team where you go to rebuild your rep, unless you're the Bus, so I don't really see Rogers as a good fit.

I do like Brandon Lloyd, aka "Tha Playa," but at six-feet I don't think he fills the need for a big reciever. While it could be argued that big receivers aren't all that necessary -- take Indy's combo of Harrison and Wayne -- right now nobody would confuse Ben's accuracy w/Ol' Peyton's so the taller a guy is, the better.

So who does that leave? Well, I thought Cedric Wilson was supposed to be the answer but maybe that's not the case. I love ARE's versatility but I'm not sure how valuable he is to the passing game. I mean, if he left how much would he be missed?

One guy that intrigues me, though, is Joe J. Sure he's not really all that young but he seems to find the endzone. -- 7 TD. His 12 YPC is a little troubling, though. Especially since Miller seems to be the main red zone receiver. I don't think that a team could really have too many, RZ threats unless it affects speed, so maybe Jurevicius isn't the answer.

Who does that leave that seems like they could really make a difference. I know of one guy out there but he's like the evil who's name I dare not speak. He's probably good for a one-year deal but boy, what a risk. Unless it works.

LondonSteeler
12-06-2005, 06:30 PM
just say no to rogers

this name jumps out at me

------>David Givens UFA Patriots <-------------

SteelCityMan786
12-06-2005, 06:33 PM
I want Troy Brown. Not Charles. I don't want someone who will just play benchwarmer all season.

Ambridge
12-06-2005, 06:51 PM
Quincy Morgan should get a thorough look at.
IMO I would give him considerably more time these last four games and make him the #3 receiver ahead of Cedric Wilson.

tony hipchest
12-06-2005, 07:03 PM
Here are some of the notable 2006 free agents at WR...

Andre' Davis UFA Patriots
Antonio Bryant UFA Browns
Antwaan Randle El UFA Steelers
Arnaz Battle RFA 49ers
Az-Zahir Hakim UFA Saints
Brandon Lloyd RFA 49ers
Corey Bradford UFA Texans
David Boston UFA Dolphins
David Givens UFA Patriots
David Tyree RFA Giants
Ike Hilliard UFA Buccaneers
Jabar Gaffney UFA Texans
Joe Jurevicius UFA Seahawks
Keenan McCardell UFA Chargers
Kelley Washington RFA Bengals
Kevin Johnson UFA Lions
Koren Robinson UFA Vikings
Nate Burleson RFA Vikings
Peerless Price UFA Cowboys
Peter Warrick UFA Seahawks
Quincy Morgan UFA Steelers
Reche Caldwell UFA Chargers
Reggie Wayne UFA Colts
Troy Brown UFA Patriotsso its one of these guys or a rookie wr who barely does crap their 1st year in the nfl? this will not meet much fanfare but we better atleast consider t.o. if we can land him for about 4 mil/ year.

imagine a well behaved t.o. and rickey williams for the same price as jerome, duce, and wilson. like him or not. t.o.'s skills would be the perfect compliment to ward and ben. also remember 17 teams passed on r. moss in the draft. the vikings reaped the rewards.

clevestinks
12-06-2005, 07:34 PM
Rogers? No! Not in my book anyway. Injuries cant get over them.

I like Joe Jerivcius, I saw him play in high school here many times, he is not a number one or two but a damn good three. He might be a better blocker than Hines Ward, Maybe not but a close second. None of these names are the big strong, consistent, non injured, non pain in the ass, that I would be looking for

Suitanim
12-06-2005, 07:48 PM
No way on TO or Rogers. TO should be banned from the NFL for life, and whatever low class organization that picks him up should be cursed like the Browns to never again reach the Super Bowl.

I have a feeling the Steelers might let ARE go, and stick with Wilson. Cedric did sign a 4 year deal with us. Then again, there may not be much interest in ARE since his numbers aren't anything special.

I like Reggie Wayne from this list. He's a burner and can catch. Here's a guy who is a proven NFL commodity, and has the capabilities of being a solid #2 to Ward and catch 60-80 balls a year.

Koopa
12-06-2005, 07:51 PM
i wouldn't mind getting wayne but he's gonna have a lot of intrest from teams that he can actually get a lot of stats

Motley Nate
12-06-2005, 11:24 PM
why do ppl call morgan stone hands??????? i ain't seen him drop a lot, even though he doesn't get a chance but when he does he has been very productive with the ball
Morgan picked up that nickname in Cleveland. Dropping crucial passes. He'd be wide open and drop a pass. He was like Featherstone in "Unnecessary Roughness".

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
12-06-2005, 11:34 PM
Nate Burleson would be a great addition

tony hipchest
12-06-2005, 11:48 PM
Nate Burleson would be a great addition
he lost his #1 wr job to koren robinson. their #1 wr pick t. williamson couldnt hold off koren either. koren had some baggage but the vikings took a chance. they did so with moss. the pats took a chance with k. dillon. eagles did with t.o. last year. shouldnt the rooneys take a chance and try to make a splash? tampa bay did it and brought in keyshawn and gruden for a sb run. rams did it and acquired m. faulk.

i still say the best wr would be t.o. with some very strict guidelines. keep morgan as an insurance policy.

otherwise i liked what the steelers did last year with getting an s.f. wr. we just shouldve gotten b. lloyd instead.

TexaSteeler
12-07-2005, 12:17 AM
Rogers is a bust. Suspended for four games on strike three? Rooney wouldn't let it happen. Know when he got his first strike? At the combine before the draft!! And the Lions still were stupid enough to draft him.

TexaSteeler
12-07-2005, 12:18 AM
Keenan McCardell

BigCat
12-07-2005, 12:28 PM
I'm glad that you guys are realizing that WR is a position that needs to be addressed in the off season. Especially given that your top two WR are actaully quarterbacks in Ward and Randal El. You need a burner on the outside that open the field up. I don't care what you may think, you don't have that guy on your roster right now.

Steel - X
12-07-2005, 12:37 PM
I agree BigCat.

Hell no on Rogers why risk something like him with a big price tag. TO wow would that be nice but this is not fantasy football there is no way he comes here.

I would like to see K.Rob here but he does not have the greatest hands in the world either look at his #'s in SEA of dropped balls.

I just want a WR that can scare defense's some one that can take it to the house on a deep one. Doesnt have to be a big name. Someone like Dante Hall but with a little bit more size.

Livinginthe past
12-07-2005, 03:17 PM
I find it utterly amazing that anyone could want T.O. on their team - every year we see teams get suckered into taking a guy that they think they can 'reform' - and like a girl takes on the bad-boy - they find out quickly that they have taken on more than they can handle.

Has it totally passed above these peoples heads how the Eagles organisation has fallen apart at the seams since T.O. started acting up - the Steelers are (or were) the AFC's Eagles - an excellent team who cant quite make the final leap to win it all - taking T.O. is a ridiculous risk.

Before anyone draws parallels with Corey Dillon - you cant - he was stuck on a ridiculously poor team that showed absolutely no ambition in removing the 'laughing stock' label from themselves - the Lions could do with more of this type of character.

Calling out your own QB because your team refuses to back down to your 'hostage demands' is a long way from even being similar.

NM

SalukiSteelers
12-07-2005, 03:46 PM
Yeah, T.O. is a sh**head but if the Steelers could get him for one year....Naw, I can't see Cowher or the Rooney's or anybody else in the organization taking that risk. Especially with the way some fans are calling for the coach's head. T.O. seems like the kind of guy that could blow the team apart. But damn he's talented. Too bad he's such a garbage teammate who'll never be happy with any QB who tries to get him the ball.

Prosdo
12-07-2005, 05:07 PM
Even if we would take him I wouldn't see him wanting to come to a run heavy offense. I know he won't have a lot of choices, but still.

SteelCityMan786
12-07-2005, 05:10 PM
McCardell And Or Troy Brown. Those I see Are The Best 2 On The List.

Livinginthe past
12-07-2005, 06:30 PM
Troy Brown is having another good year for us in the No.3 slot - however by far the best value for money would be had by getting David Givens who is a genuine big play threat.

The problem being that if he wont sign of the sort of money the Pats offer him - I cant see him wanting to come to a run oriented offense for a similar amount - Im presuming of course that the Steelers still refuse to overpay for FA's.

Cheers

NM

Randle el#82
12-07-2005, 06:45 PM
Cut Wilson and resign ARE and bring in Brandon Lloyd =]

clevestinks
12-07-2005, 07:55 PM
Keenan McCardell

You know, that name interest me also, but how old is he, and how much does he have in the tank! Overall the list of free agent WR isnt that great. No number ones , well the retard TO

Steel Fury
12-08-2005, 05:26 PM
I see nobody on this list that can fill a need for us. I like Joe J but he doesn't fit our needs. I think we need to look for the draft.

clevestinks
12-08-2005, 05:32 PM
I'm glad that you guys are realizing that WR is a position that needs to be addressed in the off season. Especially given that your top two WR are actaully quarterbacks in Ward and Randal El. You need a burner on the outside that open the field up. I don't care what you may think, you don't have that guy on your roster right now.

I agree??? With Big Cat?????? Oh NO!

But I think we have all agreed, that we need a big strong deep threat! Thanks for noticing!

BigDude66687
12-09-2005, 02:55 AM
Robenson is an intriging player if he can keep his off the field issues under control he'll be fine

Ur list is missing the biggest name of all Terrel Owens, he will be released by the Eagles or avalible via trade how about Maddox for Terrel Owens trade, solves two problems with one stone, just gotta get a big roll of duct tape and a steel cage, duct tape his mouth shut during games and then during the week lock him in the steel cage in the basement at hines field

steeler47
12-09-2005, 08:29 AM
I also noticed Peerless Price was released again... he may be done forever. We kinda already have one of these type of guys in Quincy Morgan. I would like to see a bigger faster WR opposite Ward... either draft one, bring in a FA, or give Quincy a chance.

Peerless Price is out because he's not physical enough and hasnt the skill's for the NFL.

Ouincy Morgan HAS the talent and skill's.
He just made a personnel decision that cost him.It has nothing to do with his talent as a player.
So I disagree with your point on that.:cool:

I think Quincy MAY BE the other wideout...He's made plays all over the field and on special teams,he's gonna break one for a TD 1 of these games.

SalukiSteelers
12-09-2005, 01:19 PM
You know what kind of jumps out at me? All through this thread I've seen guys writing that so-and-so wouldn't want to come to Pittsburgh because they're a "run heavy" team. Heck, I find myself doing it, too.

One thing I wonder, though, is if next season the team will be quite so run heavy. Does Willie Parker really seem like a run heavy back? Who knows what next season brings but I can't imagine that Cowher would decide to push the run for three straight seasons. Especially with the way it has blown up in his face this season.

Ben's performance against the Bengals, despite some turnovers that may have resulted from his injured thumb, seemed to indicate that yes, the Steelers can pass. While he did make some bad reads, especially on the Thurman INT, he hadn't played in three weeks and the team had never really called on him to pass in such large numbers. Chalk up his mistakes to a little inexperience, rust, and injury.

Given the fact that the line should come back next season with more experience for some players, less injuries to others, and the motivation for a couple guys to prove that they are still part of the foundation of this team, and I think that play should improve in that area. Plus, the last two sacks of the game seemed to indicate that Ben can avoid pressure for only so long and his receivers must find a way to get open and give him targets.

So given all this, doesn't it make sense that the Steelers will come out with a more balanced attack and use that as a selling point for potential signees? Given the skill set of the team's young QB, a line that should play above this season's level, and an offense that must pass more to be effective in a division where the defending champions will come in to the new season as a team that will force opponents to open up the playbook, why not take a chance and sign with the team?

The Steelers are known as a quality, if somewhat cheap, franchise around the league and any player that would sign with them would have to think that they come in to the season with a legitimate chance to compete for a ring.

Lyn
12-09-2005, 04:31 PM
The whole Charlie Rogers thing is nothing but sad. It is too bad an amazing athlete who was magic to watch while at Michigan State and who, at one point, even was in competition for the Heisman has sunk so low.

I would like to see him in the blackngold but I don't want another Bam Morris incident either.

I think he would play well for us, there is a future he could possibly win something here. he is too good of an athlete to be cast aside.

Just my .02 Cents Worth,
Lyn:)

SteelCityMan786
12-09-2005, 04:34 PM
Charles If He Stays Of The Injured List Then He'll be fine.

Lyn
12-09-2005, 04:36 PM
He does seem to be somewhat fragile, doesn't he.

clevestinks
12-09-2005, 04:37 PM
Peerless Price is out because he's not physical enough and hasnt the skill's for the NFL.

Ouincy Morgan HAS the talent and skill's.
He just made a personnel decision that cost him.It has nothing to do with his talent as a player.
So I disagree with your point on that.:cool:

I think Quincy MAY BE the other wideout...He's made plays all over the field and on special teams,he's gonna break one for a TD 1 of these games.

I agree that Quincy may be our best return man. He has the full speed ahead approach. And I like that!
As a WR I`m not as pleased. He does come up with some big catches, he has good speed and alright hands, I also like his size. He does at times lose concentration, and misses the easy balls. Like right before halftime against NE. Right between the 1`s on his jersey, in stride, he had a chance for a momentum gaining catch!

SteelCityMan786
12-09-2005, 04:38 PM
He does seem to be somewhat fragile, doesn't he.

Say That To Fatt Fillen

clevestinks
12-09-2005, 04:39 PM
Say That To Fatt Fillen
I`m laughing! Fat Fillen, rep points for you!:busted:

SteelCityMan786
12-09-2005, 05:04 PM
I`m laughing! Fat Fillen, rep points for you!:busted:

Reps Points To You To.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-09-2005, 05:57 PM
I suddenly got a flash back from american pie :rofl:

slashsteel
12-09-2005, 08:12 PM
Wayne or Jurvicious would upgrade our corps IMO.....

Friday133
12-10-2005, 01:45 PM

i seem to remember you didn't like burress in a previous post. well then you would hate charles rogers. he has a substance abuse problem, a horrible work ethic, and he's injury prone. hell we would have been better off keeping burress in that case.

Friday133
12-10-2005, 01:47 PM
Wayne or Jurvicious would upgrade our corps IMO.....

jurivicious? are you kidding me? the guy is too old, and more of a possession reciever. and wayne would never come here, again why would he want to go to a team that runs the ball 60% of the time, with another pro bowl reciever? make no sense to me.

Friday133
12-10-2005, 01:49 PM
Cut Wilson and resign ARE and bring in Brandon Lloyd =]

randel el is a joke. we screwed up and didn't draft bryant when we should have. another cowher mistake.