PDA

View Full Version : Steelers fans in Fed Ex Field

stillers4me
11-04-2008, 05:26 AM
Steelers Nation.....you are awesome! :hatsoff:

I was amazed ( and I shouldn't be) when I saw how many Terrible Towels were flying last night! We were everywhere! I could could hear them chanting "Here we go Steelers, here we go!" :tt03:

Nice job! You done me proud! :drink:

steelpride12
11-04-2008, 06:08 AM
It was a sight to see, they said almost 30,000 Steelers fans there which is amazing, seeing all the towels made me feel all warm inside.

Stlrs4Life
11-04-2008, 07:09 AM
The Steeler Nation was out in force in DC last night. We've seen it many times before but lastnight was more and louder than most.

By Les Carpenter
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, November 4, 2008; Page A01

Two hundred seventy-one consecutive times, Washington Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell heaved a football across NFL fields, never once to have it land in the arms of an opposing player. It was an unprecedented feat in Washington Redskins history, a record built through careful decision-making, precision and a little luck.

Then, in the third quarter of the Redskins' showcase game this year, Campbell's first interception came. It arrived on a soft pass tossed high to running back Clinton Portis in which the ball bounced off Portis's hand, then landed in the arms of a Pittsburgh Steelers player named Deshea Townsend.

And when it happened, a great roar filled FedEx Field, and three levels of stands rising to the sky were filled with the twirling golden rags called Terrible Towels that have become a talisman to Pittsburgh Steelers fans.

It would be that kind of a night for the Redskins in their 23-6 loss to the Steelers: Their quarterback's prodigious streak had come to an inglorious end and their home stadium had ceased to be exclusively their home.

"Man, was that weird or what? All I saw were terrible towels in the stands," said Redskins defensive end Demetric Evans. "Even when we were on offense and it's supposed to be quiet, all you could hear was the Steelers fans cheering."

The interception and the defeat were both bound to happen. Campbell had had enough passes that were nearly intercepted that it was only a matter of time before one was. And the Redskins had struggled to survive so many games against inferior teams this fall, it would make sense that they would fall hard to a team that is considered among the toughest on their schedule.

But the migration of thousands of Steelers fans to the stadium in Landover was something of a shock.

As was the player who came to beat the Redskins on Monday night.

Fifteen years ago, Steelers backup quarterback Byron Leftwich was another kid growing up in a red brick home at East Capitol Street and 56th Place in Southeast Washington, dreaming of someday playing for his hometown football team. On the streets every day, he and his friends played a rudimentary game of football they called "Contact."

And then, in his sixth season in the NFL, his career in tatters after the Jacksonville Jaguars and the rest of the NFL had decided he couldn't play anymore, Leftwich replaced Pittsburgh's injured star quarterback, Ben Roethlisberger, at halftime and sent the Steelers on two marches through the night that delivered Pittsburgh's victory.

The play that probably broke Washington the most was a 50-yard pass that Leftwich tossed high into the air and that was caught by receiver Nate Washington deep in Redskins territory. That led to a touchdown that put Pittsburgh up 16-6 in the third quarter, and from then on the game seemed out of reach.

After that play, the Redskins seemed unable to do anything. Even a Campbell touchdown in the fourth quarter that cut the lead to 23-12 was called back when replays determined that Campbell had actually been tackled on the 1-yard line. The next play, a fourth-down pass to the end zone, was knocked down. The Redskins would never come close again.

Then again, it never felt like their night. Hours before the game, as the stadium glowed a pearly white in the inky sky, mobs of Steelers fans descended upon FedEx Field, first in the hundreds, then the thousands. One woman walking to the stadium from the Metro chirped into her cellphone, "I'm on the way to the Steelers game!"

"We heard them tonight," said Steelers linebacker James Farrior.

Redskins players expressed shock at the number of Pittsburgh fans who seemed to have taken over their stadium. "They had good seats too," running back Shaun Alexander said, his eyes wide with wonder. HaHaHa...does he think we're cheap bastards?

"It was especially surprising given what it meant," Alexander continued. "It was 'Monday Night Football.' If we had won we'd be 7-2. Do you realize that? Seven and two. Not many people in this room have been 7-2 before."

Washington even came onto the field in special all burgundy uniforms. But instead of the surprised rumble from the crowd that such a move usually produces, the Redskins players' arrival on their home field was met with boos from the Steelers fans who had poured in as soon as the gates opened. You gotta love that!

By the end the game, it really felt like a Pittsburgh home game. The Redskins fans had retreated to the parking lot, leaving only those in the Steelers black and gold jerseys who taunted the departing Washington contingent, waggling their terrible towels into the mild November night.

So pitiful were the last minutes of this night that it's hard to remember that the Redskins actually led this game. In fact, they appeared to control it for the first quarter as two Steelers mistakes -- a botched onside kickoff and an interception -- gave Washington the ball deep inside Pittsburgh territory. But even with those gifts, the Redskins were unable to fully capitalize. Twice they kicked field goals to build a 6-0 lead.

Nevertheless, it felt like a tentative lead, especially as the Pittsburgh roar echoed through the stands. And when Roethlisberger dove into the end zone for a touchdown just before halftime to give the Steelers a 10-6 lead, there was a sense the night had fallen away from Washington. When the second half started, Roethlisberger was on the bench, his right shoulder reportedly injured. Leftwich appeared and soon everything was over for the Redskins.

Then, when the game was finished, the chants of the Steelers fans reverberated over the empty stadium.

"Here we go Steelers, here we go!"

Into the night.

Stlrs4Life
11-04-2008, 07:10 AM
Also read there message board:

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthre...=268919&page=9

Hines4ever
11-04-2008, 08:21 AM
My son and a friend of his were at the game last night. (He's a die hard Steeler fan and his friend, a Redskin Fan). He was surprised at the seats they got....45 yard line, Steeler side....EYE LEVEL with the field at a very reasonable price ($100.00). I talked to him via cell numerous times throughout the game.....even at an early point, his friend yelled into the phone "I feel like a minority in my own house!" Gotta love it....gave me chills....Way to go Steeler Nation....You Rock!!!!!
:tt02::tt::applaudit:

the_king_from_leon
11-04-2008, 08:56 AM
I was blown away I was waving my terrible towel in London and couldnt believe the noise that was being made on 3rd and 4th downs for our D, the terrible towels was great!

Steeler Nation was looking good!

GutterflowerSteel
11-04-2008, 10:14 AM
I was very happy to be a part of that Terrible Towel waving crowd of Steelers fans :thumbsup: It was like an annex of Heinz Field, and I was proud to be there helping to represent :applaudit:

Now I'm going to put on my Steelers colors and go rock the vote:helmet:

Statik
11-04-2008, 12:02 PM
Everyone,

Just want to say that last night, I was lucky enough to go to the Steelers/Skins game, and let me say, that it was almost 50/50 for the fan showing.

All of the skins fans were going, WTF, WHY ARE THERE SO MANY STEELERS FANS HERE?!?!?!?.

Also, I'm so tired of everyone saying "Steelers Fans travel well".....well kinda.....cause the black and gold fanbase is worldwide!!!

:tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:

SteelFan4Life
11-04-2008, 12:16 PM
I was at the game too. I live 90 minutes from Fedex Field. I talked to a few of the season ticket holders of the Redskins who've been going to games for 30+ years and they all said...they've NEVER seen an opponents fans show up for a game like the Steelers did last night. It was DEFINITELY 50/50 and more like 70/30 by the end of the game. Go B&G!

Hines4ever
11-04-2008, 12:19 PM
My son and a friend of his were at the game last night. (He's a die hard Steeler fan and his friend, a Redskin Fan). He was surprised at the seats they got....45 yard line, Steeler side....EYE LEVEL with the field at a very reasonable price ($100.00). I talked to him via cell numerous times throughout the game.....even at an early point, his friend yelled into the phone "I feel like a minority in my own house!" Gotta love it....gave me chills despite the overwhelming jealousy I was feeling....Way to go Steeler Nation....You Rock!!!!!:tt02::applaudit:

Hines0wnz
11-04-2008, 12:23 PM
:tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

SportsBog
11-04-2008, 12:29 PM
I'm a reporter from the Washington Post trying to find some Steelers fans who were at the game for a story. My name is Dan Steinberg. If anyone is interested in discussing this, could you email me at steinbergd@washpost.com or call 202-253-6494?

Thanks a lot.

shovelnose
11-04-2008, 05:00 PM
Also this

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/NFL/2008/11/04/7303576-ap.html

I love this part.

When the red-eyed Redskins, operating on a few hours sleep, weren't dissecting the plays that went wrong in Monday night's 23-6 loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers, they were shaking their heads over the horde of visiting fans whose Terrible Towels and disruptive cheers turned the largest stadium in the NFL into Heinz Field South.

"It was definitely a strange environment," centre Casey Rabach said. "We had to go silent count in third-down situations and shotgun situations. Having to do that at home, that's unbelievable. It's the first time we've had to go silent count in our home stadium."

pittsburghp8baller
11-04-2008, 05:10 PM
i was there too, and it was amazing how many steeler fans there were. i was in section 452 and that was jus bout filled with Steeler fans.

and the Redskins post game show was hilariuos blaming the fans for not showing up and letting Steeler fans take the tickets.

one redskin fan went as far to blame Obama for all the Steeler fans for being in the seats.

Great showing tonight from the Steeler fans, it was my first monday night game and first regular season game in 8 or 9 years and its something i wont forget

devilsdancefloor
11-04-2008, 06:37 PM
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2008/11/steelers_fans_forced_skins_int.html

So about those terrible towels. Lots of 'em, right? Loud, right?

"We actually went silent count one or two times out there," Chris Samuels said. "I mean, Jason called it so we had to basically obey it."

(Much, much more on this issue here, with better quotes and Casey Rabach explaining why they turned to the silent count.)

Wait, that was the home team? Using a silent count? Because of the noise from fans rallying behind their defense?

"Uh huh," said Pete Kendall, who said that had happened to him elsewhere but admitted he was a tad surprised last night. "I mean, that's not the reputation or the expectation I had of the fans here," he said, "but who am I to begrudge somebody from making a profit by selling their tickets? I'm playing for money, and they're watching, and it's their right to do what they want with their tickets."

How many Steelers fans were there last night? Unclear. A lot. Enough that, after walking from the parking lot to the press box, everyone was talking about it, hours before kickoff. Enough that when Antwaan Randle El ran out before the game, the boos were obvious. Enough that, in the final minutes, when Pittsburgh got an interception, a writer who couldn't see the play guessed that something bad must have happened to Washington, judging by the roar of the crowd.

My original guess was 15 percent, but I was mocked for going too low. Was it 20 percent? Was it 25 percent? Some writers guessed as high as 30, and the Washington Times went with 33 percent, although I still say that's way too high. Your guess on the percentage?

And as long as I'm asking questions, why does this happen? Why does it happen with Penguins games? Do Pittsburgh fans have more money? More passion? Fewer outside interests? Fewer job responsibilities? If a Redskins fan isn't going to hold on to his tickets when his team is 6-2 and playing a home Monday Night Football game for the first time in six or seven years, exactly when is he going to hold onto his tickets? Or is this just an inevitable part of playing Pittsburgh? Here's what Cincy columnist Paul Daugherty wrote after a Bengals game this year:

Nobody wearing a POLAMALU jersey had to worry about getting his face smashed in. The black-and-gold-clad visiting home crowd twirled its Terrible Towels for three hours, shooting a figurative middle finger at the Bengals fans, as they have the last eight times their team has played at Paul Brown Stadium, all Pittsburgh wins. It's disgusting, really, but what else is new?
So, is this exaggerated? Was it a middle finger? Were you embarrassed? Proud?

"You know, I'll be honest with you, it was kind of surprising there were a lot of Steelers fans in the crowd," Jim Zorn said. "It reminded me of the Super Bowl in '05 when they were giving out those yellow towels and stuff like that. I don't think it affected us any, but it was unusual to see so many yellow towels."

"Hey, I watched those little yellow towels up there," Samuels said. "They had a lot of people here. But they're right down the highway. I didn't expect that, but they had a lot of people show up."

"I was surprised to see as many Pittsburgh Steelers fans in our stadium tonight," Jason Campbell said. "You know, there was a LOT of them and I was definitely surprised to see that many of them in our home stadium. But our fans was loud when our defense was out there, they gave us a lot of opportunities, [they were] behind us. And if we could have just kept them in the game so they could feed off it it really could have went in another direction."

:tt::tt::tt::tt::tt::tt::tt::tt::tt:

GutterflowerSteel
11-04-2008, 06:50 PM
Last night ROCKED!!

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2008/11/redskins_on_the_fan_turnout_di.html

"SOMEBODY let 'em in there ..."
By the end of this morning's open locker room, every Redskins player was being asked about the Pittsburgh fan invasion. You know, the one that prompted Michael Wilbon to write this:

The Steelers left town with a victory, with Roethlisberger also smiling and not seriously hurt, and with the Redskins licking their wounds after what felt like a loss on the road. From the racket made and "Terrible Towels" being waved, Leftwich might have thought he was playing in Pittsburgh, since between 15,000 to 20,000 Steelers fans snapped up tickets and promptly took over FedEx Field in their black road jerseys. It really gets a little tiresome hearing how great Redskins fans are, only to see fans of the Cowboys or Steelers or Eagles commandeer FedEx Field. Really, they're a very average lot, at best.

Ouch. By the way, nothing like watching Redskins fans from the stands turn their backs to the field so they can take cell phone pictures of Wilbon in the press box.

Anyhow, my original estimate of 15 percent Yinzers? Way, way, way off, according to the team.

"50-50," H.B. Blades guessed.

"it sounded like 50-50 from the noise they were making, but maybe 60-40," Fred Smoot said.

"it might have been half, I don't know, it might have been 40-60," Randy Thomas said.

"40?" guessed Casey Rabach. "When I looked at the stands after the game, there wasn't many red, there was a lot of black though."
"I have no clue, but there was a lot of black," Mike Sellers said. "A lot of it."

Rabach said he asked for the silent count in the second quarter, and that he and Jason Campbell used it about a half-dozen times. Why?

"I couldn't [bleepin'] hear him," Rabach said.

And the locker room's opinions on the matter? Well, the players weren't too pleased amused, although none pointed fingers at the Redskins' fan base or anyone else. They seemed more confused than anything.

"Never, never," said Smoot, when asked if he'd ever seen FedEx like that. "We don't do that. I guess maybe the recession, people selling their tickets to Pittsburgh fans? I don't know."

"I'm like are those yellow towels for us or for them?" Santana Moss said. "I really scratched my head about it, because I've never seen it done, especially at FedEx, to have someone come into our home and almost have more fans than we did. You know, you never know what reason. I didn't know if those guys was all from here, but I'm gonna go look for them. I'm going to find every Steelers fan I can find in the D.C. area."

"You expect to have your fans in the stands, not the opponents', right?" Rabach said, when asked whether he was surprised.

"I was just shocked there were so many Steelers fans there," Sellers said.

"It was one of the pointers of the game, like, 'Damn, are we giving away free towels tonight or something?' " Thomas said. "It was something we discussed on the sidelines....For a [rival] team like that to be able to get a hold of tickets? I mean, how can you do that?"
[b]
"I'm disappointed," Smoot said. "FedEx has never had that many other teams' fans. I don't know, it kind of shocked me when I seen all those terrible towels. I know Pittsburgh ain't but a couple miles away from here, but we've got to keep them out of our place. I'm not disappointed on the fans, but somebody let 'em in there. It wasn't me and I know it wasn't Dan, so SOMEBODY let 'em in there."

"Pittsburgh brings their fans, and that's good for them, but it was just strange for me seeing it at FedEx," Moss said. "I've never seen anything like it....That's what pissed me off about it, because I'm sitting there saying like, 'We're not away, why are we doing some of the things we're doing?' But you know, that's why we play this game, you know what I'm saying? You've got to be ready for whatever. And they showed us last night that they brung their whole Pittsburgh over here just to help them win that game."

HereWeGoSteelers219
11-04-2008, 07:14 PM
"And they showed us last night that they brung their whole Pittsburgh over here just to help them win that game."

Does that quote piss anyone else off? He makes it seem like we had to have homefield advantage to whip up on em.

STEELER NATION

xfl2001fan
11-04-2008, 07:15 PM
"And they showed us last night that they brung their whole Pittsburgh over here just to help them win that game."

Does that quote piss anyone else off? He makes it seem like we had to have homefield advantage to whip up on em.

STEELER NATION
Probably upsets a lot of Redskins players more than anything else.

TheWarDen86
11-04-2008, 07:19 PM
Last night ROCKED!!

Well? Go ahead and brag a little. Tell us how it was.

SteelersMongol
11-04-2008, 07:52 PM
Great read. Thanks.

Though, when it comes 2 comparison between the our fans & theirs was like 1:4 on TV. But boy, our fans DO ROCK!!!

SmashMouthSteelerFan
11-04-2008, 09:34 PM
I don't usually jump on a soapbox..:blah: BUT.....:mad:

I am really tired of people not noticing our fan base!!!! The Steelers are the greatest team in the NFL and it stands to reason that they have the greatest fan base! I have been a Steelers fan since 1978 at the age of 7 years old, and I have seen a lot of Steelers football games! So I have seen what I seen last night year after year after year!

Anybody remember years ago in San Fran when we dominated the 49ers and in the 4th all that was left was about 40,000 terrible towels?? OR how how about an exhibition game in Mexico that looked like the inside of Three Rivers due to all the Steelers Fans?? Or how about a little more recent when we were up at the Clowns stadium and we were up 45-3, the clowns were in the redzone trying to score and there was Joey Porter pumping up the crowd noise?? (and did anybody catch Harrison doing that last night as well?? I LOVE THAT!!)

So get it through your heads :banging: media, other nfl players, etc. The Pittsburgh Steelers have fans in Pittsburgh:wave::wave::wave:, in Washington:wave:, in Cincy:wave::wave:, Cleveland:wave:, San Fran:wave:, Indy:wave:,ALL OVER THE WORLD!!!!!:tt02::tt02::tt02:

:sign01::sign04::sign04::sign01:

Okay, I'll step off my soapbox now! :hatsoff:

Galax Steeler
11-05-2008, 03:48 AM
It kind of reminds you of the superbowl in detroit the place was rocking with terrible towles our fan base is everywhere.

stillers4me
11-05-2008, 05:27 AM
What ticked me off in the article is when it was insinuated we are a bunch uf unemployed losers........."no job responsibilities". It was freakin' Sunday! And I don't know too many unemployed people spending hundreds of dollars for hotel, gas and game tickets. How about being grateful for the ecomomic boost those invaders brought to your your city, jagoffs!

TeeJay
11-05-2008, 01:12 PM
Steelers Nation.....you are awesome! :hatsoff:

I was amazed ( and I shouldn't be) when I saw how many Terrible Towels were flying last night! We were everywhere! I could could hear them chanting "Here we go Steelers, here we go!" :tt03:

Nice job! You done me proud! :drink:

Coming to a Football Field near you.............

Here we go
Here we go
Here we go
Steelers, Here we go
Pittsburgh's going to the Super Bowl
Here we go

:tt::tt03::tt::tt03::tt::tt03::tt02::tt::tt03::tt0 2::tt:

And as the Football (soccer) chant goes over here....'You're supposed to be at home'

"You're supposed to, you're supposed to,
You're supposed to be at home.....
You're... supposed..to...be...at home..."

...sorry...I had to do it...the voices made me :tt03::tt03::tt02::tt02::tt::tt::tt03:

Just that I've been on either end. It's the best feeling in the world when you're away from home, and you outsing the 'homefans'. That journey home, takes half as long. But....when the boots on the other foot, so to speak, and it happens to you at home, (as it does alot here....supporting Gillingham:( ), then you leave like a Redskin fan on a Monday night!!! - bahhhhh!!!

GutterflowerSteel
11-05-2008, 05:32 PM
Well? Go ahead and brag a little. Tell us how it was.

This was my first game ever :thumbsup: It totally met all expectations - it was basically a home game :tt02:

Cuz I'm feeling lazy:

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=28597&page=146

TheWarDen86
11-05-2008, 05:54 PM
This was my first game ever :thumbsup: It totally met all expectations - it was basically a home game :tt02:

Cuz I'm feeling lazy:

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=28597&page=146

WOW! Well, I'm glad it was a good one! You definitely need to get to a game at Heinz Field. I try to make the trek out there at least once per year, but....

GutterflowerSteel
11-05-2008, 08:48 PM
The out-of-town Steelers fans should pick a home game and all go next season, and meet up with the 'Burgh board members, too :drink: Maybe HTG will invite us all over for dindin :wink02:

TeeJay
11-09-2008, 11:35 PM
Well, I'm booking my flight now! :wink02:

Hubba hubba..........:wave: