PDA

View Full Version : The Bengals

StillerPaul
12-06-2005, 01:26 PM
I still say they have the absolute worst defense of any of the playoff teams. Their front 7 is very soft, despite some streaky play. What are you bengal fan's expectations for this year? Do you guys think you can outscore the Colts, Broncos, Chargers? Keep in mind thos teams all have better D's. Hell, i still think if the Steelers get in, no one will want to play us, we'll be dangerous. But i'm just curious as to how you Bengal fans feel about your teams chances.

boLT fan
12-06-2005, 01:30 PM
I wouldnt' call them the absolute worst. They do have a fairly good secondary (ex. Deltha O'Neal leading the league in interceptions). But still think they're better than the likes of the Patriots (Even with the Patriots Injuries). If the Patriots weren't so beat up, I don't know, they might be better than the Bengals D, but as they are Cinci's is better IMO.

StillerPaul
12-06-2005, 01:36 PM
Alright i'll give ya the Pats D. So that makes them the absolute worst of 5 other playoff teams then? lol

boLT fan
12-06-2005, 01:39 PM
That works. lol

The just rely on their offense to win shootouts ALL the time, which will bite them in the ass in the playoffs.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-06-2005, 02:10 PM
The bengals inability to stop the run will be there downfall... the playoffs are all about the best teams in the league, and if u cant stop the run ur not gonna go anywhere. Sure you can score alot of points, but if you cant stop the run, ur defense will be out there all day long and will inevitably give up more than you can score.

bengalsfan21
12-06-2005, 05:06 PM
I have said before unless we absolutely get it done with offense our run D will kill us.....But as for worst D remember the secondary has a lot of picks including 4 on Ben.

SteelCityMan786
12-06-2005, 05:45 PM
I have said before unless we absolutely get it done with offense our run D will kill us.....But as for worst D remember the secondary has a lot of picks including 4 on Ben.

Brain Child has a point. Carson had some of the same problems ben had on October 23rd.

clevestinks
12-06-2005, 06:38 PM
Their defense isnt really good, but I hate to be a hater. They just beat us.

CantStop85
12-06-2005, 08:01 PM
Our defense, believe it or not, is one of the reasons we are doing as well as we are right now. Bare with me here...our defense bends a whole lot (especially in the running game), but we force so many turnovers that it always bails us out.

We don't turn the ball over and we force a lot of turnovers (leading the league in turnover ratio by a mile)...I think if we can keep doing that we will have a chance, but no question the defensive line has to improve.

However, I think Cincinnati could beat any team except the Colts in a shoot-out. That's the type of game that the Bengals want to force the other team into, because they can light up the scoreboard without turning the ball over and they know that eventually the other team is going to make a mistake (i.e. turn the ball over) and the Bengals will be able to jump on it. A little unorthodox, but hey, it works.

Suitanim
12-06-2005, 08:06 PM
The Bengals just got into a shootout and would have lost if not for a few ball bounce's here and there, namely the fumbled punt that wasn't called, the Ward dropped TD and TJ's stolen TD pass. I'm even including the Steelers 4 fumbles and 3 INT's.

tony hipchest
12-06-2005, 08:23 PM
Our defense, believe it or not, is one of the reasons we are doing as well as we are right now. Bare with me here...our defense bends a whole lot (especially in the running game), but we force so many turnovers that it always bails us out.

We don't turn the ball over and we force a lot of turnovers (leading the league in turnover ratio by a mile)...I think if we can keep doing that we will have a chance, but no question the defensive line has to improve.

i definitely agree with that. all these turnovers give the bengals offense great field position and definitely put points on the board. until 3 weeks ago the steelers came up with a timely turnover either to prevent points or gain them every week leading to lots of wins. (disgusting to think they used to be 7-2) the flipside is the chiefs team that rode into youre house at 9-0. their defense was great that year (atleast they led my team, and fantasy league in scoring that year) but they went on to get dismantled by the colts in the playoffs. at that point t. green and t. gonzalez were amongst the league leaders and their rb was setting records. so while i appreciate the things the bengals defense has going for it im not gonna drink the cool-aid just yet.

SteelCityMan786
12-07-2005, 03:06 PM
Hey The Bengals even if they get into the playoffs. At This Point, NO ONE IS GONNA STOP THE COLTS! Unless You Trust us to do the job. And Even That is a major wish.

Livinginthe past
12-07-2005, 05:26 PM
I wouldnt' call them the absolute worst. They do have a fairly good secondary (ex. Deltha O'Neal leading the league in interceptions). But still think they're better than the likes of the Patriots (Even with the Patriots Injuries). If the Patriots weren't so beat up, I don't know, they might be better than the Bengals D, but as they are Cinci's is better IMO.

Let me start by saying that the Bolts and the Bengals are two teams that I actually like other than my beloved Patriots.

Let me finish by saying that you must be on the hard stuff if you think that the Patriots have one of the worst D's in the league if you factor out injuries - the Pats D always gets plenty of credit for our 3 SB wins - last couple of years we could do it all - stop the run and pressure the passer.

NM

clevestinks
12-07-2005, 07:05 PM
I think we actually match up well against the bengals even in a shootout.

bengalsfan21
12-07-2005, 08:10 PM
We just need New England to step up and spank thier son in the playoffs (the colts) if they make it that far....Then it will be smooth sailing for us.

tony hipchest
12-07-2005, 08:34 PM
Let me finish by saying that you must be on the hard stuff if you think that the Patriots have one of the worst D's in the league if you factor out injuries - the Pats D always gets plenty of credit for our 3 SB wins - last couple of years we could do it all - stop the run and pressure the passer.

NM

lmao! that remains to be seen. especially with the loss of crennell. they did real well against carolina before all the injuries didnt they? i think the diminished use of steroids in light of the bruschi tradgedy and the unconditionned, over complacent attitude has hurt them more than injuries. after all they still got brady and belichick dont they?.

tony hipchest
12-07-2005, 08:41 PM
We just need New England to step up and spank thier son in the playoffs (the colts) if they make it that far....Then it will be smooth sailing for us.

what you need to do is win atleast 2 games in the next 4 weeks and hope you take care of business the 1st playoff game and then start worrying about that shit. damn i hope your young inexperienced players are approaching this with the same attitude as the fans are.

StillerPaul
12-08-2005, 02:53 AM
I think we actually match up well against the bengals even in a shootout.

Me too! I think it will take their D 3 years to get to our level. And i'd be willing to bet that our D will go a long time without playing that crappy again.

fergusonat
12-08-2005, 08:20 AM
^Let's certainly hope the D doesn't play as crappy as it did last week...they can't afford anymore crappy games. We need to beat the Bears to salvage any kind of respect, IMO.

As for the Bengals, I think they got lucky last game. They caught the Steelers in what seems to be a streak of very low confidence and took advantage of it, in contrast to the first meeting this year when Pittsburgh had the momentum and basically wiped them out. And then Ben basically giftwrapped that victory for them with those dumb interceptions, so I wouldn't credit those picks to the Cincinnati defense. Ben made the mistake, and while I guess we have to forgive him, it was sort of his fault.

I still believe the Steelers are the team to beat in the AFC North. Ben just needs to get back into a rhythm to start playing like he used to, and luckily there are still 4 games left for him to get into that rhythm. The rest of the team needs to help him out though. I think we've been putting too much pressure on Ben to pull a win out of his ass.

KC_Steeler
12-08-2005, 01:51 PM
Don't forget the original team with the High powered offense and no defense...The Colts...They made the playoffs every year and could never get to a Super Bowl.

They have now fixed their Defense and now maybe thier year.

Offense wins games...Defense wins Championships

StillerPaul
12-08-2005, 02:22 PM
Let me start by saying that the Bolts and the Bengals are two teams that I actually like other than my beloved Patriots.

NM
Ya know, thats a good point ya made there, Pats fan. As much as i despise your team, i still gotta respect the hell out of your coaching staff. What guts it takes to blitz AND try to jam the WR's at the line as often as they do, with key starters injured. I often wish the Steelers would do that, believe it or not.

Sharkissle29
12-09-2005, 05:26 PM
The Bengals just got into a shootout and would have lost if not for a few ball bounce's here and there, namely the fumbled punt that wasn't called, the Ward dropped TD and TJ's stolen TD pass. I'm even including the Steelers 4 fumbles and 3 INT's.
point made. the steelers didnt play a very good game, whereas it seemed the bengals played their best. and the steelers were still in the game, and potentially could have tied it up if it werent for penalties.

SteelCityMan786
12-09-2005, 05:33 PM
Or If They Stop 2 Of The 1st Half Touchdowns

BOTH WOULD BE 8-4

clevestinks
12-09-2005, 06:39 PM
point made. the steelers didnt play a very good game, whereas it seemed the bengals played their best. and the steelers were still in the game, and potentially could have tied it up if it werent for penalties.

Biased yes! But we have a better team than the Bengals, I truly believe that. INJURIES is what is keeping us down, plain and simple. If Charlie wouldn`t have gotten hurt, we could have possibly pulled off the game against Balt. And we would be in a totally different scenario right now.