PDA

View Full Version : Why the insidious hate on our Stillers?

WisconsinSteelerMan
11-04-2008, 04:40 PM
Hey there...

Rhetorical question for discussion on a beautiful Tuesday. Why is it that there is this insidious hate against the Steelers from seemingly everywhere BUT the Steelers' fans?

Even my daughter noticed it last night, and she is only 6. During pregame, she was playing in the same room as the pregame was on, and my wife and I were just watching the talking heads. All of a sudden, my daughter looked up and said, "Daddy... why don't the announcers like the Steelers?" I honestly didn't have an answer to her.

I mean, come on... the Cowboys have been dominant for about as long as the Steelers have, and they constantly get their knob slobbed regardless of how they are imploding this year. The Patriots CHEATED for crying out loud, and yet folks were standing in line to get a slob of some Patriot knob...

People always seem to say that the Steelers "aren't as good as their record shows" or some crazy crap like that. Why is it that they say that about us with our dominating defense and OK offense when they can do nothing but compliment an OBVIOUSLY Mediocre Titans team that could just as easily be 4-4 instead of 8-0 behind a stout defense...

Why, why, why?? Or fans are some of the most polite in the business (we rank right up there with the Packer-Backers, who are a very nice bunch of folks and travel well, too!) and the fan base is broad-based, too.

Is it just that because we have been so good for so long that too many sportscasters have been beaten by us too many times for them to be objective (John Madden!)... Are we destined to be perennially the team that everyone loves to hate?? Why, Why, Why???

Let's discuss...

Mike in La Crosse, WI

chenzzo
11-04-2008, 04:52 PM
I don't care why. the boys play better when they are hated, so hate on.

Dodt
11-04-2008, 05:06 PM
who needs media love , when all you need love from the nation.

Michael Keller
11-04-2008, 05:20 PM
The media loves bull shit and glamour . Neither descirbes the Steelers. I will tell you this the Pittsburgh Steelers are respected, admired and are extremely popular in Northern California where I live.

I love telling people in Sacramento I am a Steeler fan Strangers upon hearing me say this just lighten up and say "Oh yeah the Steelers, I really like them too. Happens all the time."

YOu tell your daughter all the good people love the Steelers & those people who do not, are not very smart.

LVSteelersfan
11-04-2008, 05:43 PM
It has been that way for as long as I remember. No Respect. But who cares. True Steelers fans know what a great organization we have that keeps the talent level where it is year after year. Look at all the injuries to major players this year on both sides of the ball and we haven't missed a beat. Screw the evil prognosticators and their hating ways. The look on Young's face was priceless after that game. They did not want to say how good the Steelers looked but were forced to. CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!

Dino 6 Rings
11-04-2008, 06:05 PM
Because when you are the most beautiful person in the room, people will be jealous and will want to hate you.

stillers4me
11-04-2008, 06:09 PM
Because by complimenting us would make them face how crappy their own teams are.

Edman
11-04-2008, 06:10 PM
Around the Horn gave the Steelers plenty of props today.

But yeah, it's jealousy. Go visit my "Can't beat em', Threaten 'em" thread in the Blast Furnace for an analysis of the utter bitterness of the AFC North axis of evil.

X-Terminator
11-04-2008, 06:24 PM
It's jealousy. Plain and simple.

PolamaluPower
11-04-2008, 06:55 PM
They hate us because we good. We're solid and they can't stand it.

steel striker
11-04-2008, 06:56 PM
I often wondered the same thing here. I think it is because, normally we do not have that drama of an unhappy player type of thing. Now after that big win last night the jerks at espn are kissing behinds. It does crack me up that they always doubt us and, we keep on playing that steeler football. The haters in the media have now been served notice that we are for real.

slippy
11-04-2008, 08:43 PM
the media is irrelevant to what we do.

they do not play or coach. they speak up after the fact. they do not put pressure on a GM to fire or hire a coach or bench a QB.

even a movie critic has some power, in that their reviews could, possibly, sometimes, influence a few people to consider seeing the film. not so for your average non-verbal ex player/coach who shows up, jokes around for an hour and collects a FAT paycheck.

(the game announcers get some props from me for working three hours LIVE and doing some film study. they even get the players names right most of the time).

F#*! the media, we are THE NATION!

stlrtruck
11-05-2008, 08:52 AM
They hate us because we are the cream of the crop and we didn't have to cheat to get there!

The Duke
11-05-2008, 09:23 AM
I love the hate on the steelers. makes it even more satisfying when they win :tt02:

drum1972
11-05-2008, 12:12 PM
This is coming from a Cowboys fan (a good friend of my wife and her family are and have been die-hard Steeler fans forever, so I keep a close tab on what's going on with them) and I can say that I don't see any hate.

Heck, most of the Cowboy fans I know are completely envious of your team. The Steelers have so many things right that the Cowboys have wrong. For starters, the organization has top-notch ownership (unlike the ego maniacal Jones) who have kept a steady (and long-term might I add) group of coaches intact for the most part over the course of the last 20 years. Assistants come and go but 2 head coaches in the last 16 years or so, says a lot.

Ownership has been patient and I think see the long term results of having a steady group of people on staff. I know Cowher didn't get to the super bowl but twice but hell, how many times did he get them to the playoffs? Our crappy Cowboys won't make the playoffs this year and deservedly so ; I've been waiting for a playoff win the past 12 years and will still be waiting after this year?!

One other point I would like to touch on is your defense. Good Lord, these guys are ridiculous! They hit (really hard), scheme, tackle, and above all prepare every week. Of the few games I've seen and the highlights I've watched, I think they are the best defense in the league. This is what I envisioned the Cowboys D eventually being but oh well.......

I'm a Longhorn Fan so I've kept tabs on Hampton (man he's gotten huge) and I'm also keeping tabs on Sweed, who I hope will turn into another great receiver for you guys

I think the Steelers will make it to the Superbowl (the Titans are not for real), their offense is a joke and their defense has really not been tested yet (well somewhat with the Ravens but they don't have an offense either). I see a rematch with the Giants, only this time the Steelers win.

:wave:

memphissteelergirl
11-05-2008, 12:54 PM
Great post drum1972! :applaudit: And welcome to the board!

P.S. I think Sweed will be a great receiver for us. We just need to get him some more PT

drum1972
11-05-2008, 01:03 PM
Thanks! I'll be here from time to time :thumbsup:

I think he will be too it's just going to take some time. Unless you're really an elite receiver in college, the transition usually takes a year or so to get adjusted to the style of play in the NFL as well as the speed.

When I'm not rooting for the Cowboys, I'm rooting for the Steelers!

Dino 6 Rings
11-05-2008, 01:04 PM
They hate us because we hit harder then they do.

DACEB
11-05-2008, 01:08 PM
Thanks! I'll be here from time to time :thumbsup:

When I'm not rooting for the Cowboys, I'm rooting for the Steelers!

Welcome, great post! Cum'on back y'all, anytime!!

TeeJay
11-05-2008, 01:26 PM
This is coming from a Cowboys fan (a good friend of my wife and her family are and have been die-hard Steeler fans forever, so I keep a close tab on what's going on with them) and I can say that I don't see any hate.

Heck, most of the Cowboy fans I know are completely envious of your team. The Steelers have so many things right that the Cowboys have wrong. For starters, the organization has top-notch ownership (unlike the ego maniacal Jones) who have kept a steady (and long-term might I add) group of coaches intact for the most part over the course of the last 20 years. Assistants come and go but 2 head coaches in the last 16 years or so, says a lot.

Ownership has been patient and I think see the long term results of having a steady group of people on staff. I know Cowher didn't get to the super bowl but twice but hell, how many times did he get them to the playoffs? Our crappy Cowboys won't make the playoffs this year and deservedly so ; I've been waiting for a playoff win the past 12 years and will still be waiting after this year?!

One other point I would like to touch on is your defense. Good Lord, these guys are ridiculous! They hit (really hard), scheme, tackle, and above all prepare every week. Of the few games I've seen and the highlights I've watched, I think they are the best defense in the league. This is what I envisioned the Cowboys D eventually being but oh well.......

I'm a Longhorn Fan so I've kept tabs on Hampton (man he's gotten huge) and I'm also keeping tabs on Sweed, who I hope will turn into another great receiver for you guys

I think the Steelers will make it to the Superbowl (the Titans are not for real), their offense is a joke and their defense has really not been tested yet (well somewhat with the Ravens but they don't have an offense either). I see a rematch with the Giants, only this time the Steelers win.

:wave:

That's one awesome post Drum :thumbsup: A real post, from a real fan, not some media venting drivel full of bile, jealousy and garbage, that quite frankly, Steeler Fans laugh at, and the Team relish.

Why do you think the D hits soo hard? Cause they have all that sh*t posted up in the locker room pre-game. And there's nothing that will spur on this Defense more, than having their team slated.......so keep on with the hate media....you're doing a great job. :applaudit: :tt03::helmet:

Oh and Drum......I really hope your last sentence comes true! :tt:

drum1972
11-05-2008, 01:31 PM
Oh, by the way your Steelers are going to kick the ever living crap out of the Cowboys; no joke! :laughing:.

For one, the game is in Pittsburgh and it during December (which should be cold weather but who knows) and even if the Cowboys were at full strength, our lovely coaching staff would find a way to f*** it up, they just can't help it:banging:

Steelerfreak58
11-05-2008, 05:07 PM
1. Steady work horse team with zero pre-maddonas to talk about.

2. We don't win big usually.

3. Sporadic spurts of offensive genius followed by 2 quarters of crap play calling making the offense look worse then it is.

4. Tons of injuries this year.

5. While we play tough against teams we haven't put away big games like we could have against the Giants or even Philly.

6. The Steelers like flying under the radar.

7. Western Penn attitude, show up work hard, don't expect accolades, earn the respect of your co-workers, community, neighbors, and family. The new players learn quickly that is what the community and organization wants and expects. Guys like T.O., Moss, Hall wouldn't get it and wouldn't ever fit on a team like the Steelers.

8. Haters love to try and knock a winning combination. For the last 18 years (I am not counting the 80's shudder) the Steelers have been a consistently good winning team making the play-offs year in and year out. Its an oddity when the team is not in the play-offs. How many other teams can say that?

9. Who can forget the dominance of the 70's? Some folks love to hate dynasties.

drum1972
11-05-2008, 05:35 PM
Steelerfreak58

All great points. Especially number 7. That's the problem with a lot of players today; it's all about me/me/me. That's one reason I still prefer college ball over pro but there are exceptions in the NFL and the Steelers are definitely one of them. It's great to see players put the organization/team concept at the forefront.

In the early 90's the Cowboys had several stars but Jimmy Johnson kept them in line and they knew what they could/could not get a away with and almost always performed on Sundays while putting the team concept first. Then came Barry Switzer and it went to hell after that......

SteelersMongol
11-05-2008, 08:43 PM
Now it's time 2 get 1 (6th SB) for the HATERS & DOUBTERS. :wink02: :tt02:

WisconsinSteelerMan
11-05-2008, 08:53 PM
Now it's time 2 get 1 (6th SB) for the HATERS & DOUBTERS. :wink02: :tt02:

YEEEHHHHAAAAAAWWWWWWWW!!! As they say up here in 'Scahnsin....

Yoooooo Betcha! Okey Dokey Denn... Go git emm, Steelers....

Mike in La Crosse, WI

Steelers & I
11-06-2008, 06:50 AM
In my opinion, Tom Jackson, ESPN, seems to be the worst of the Steelers haters.

mesaSteeler
11-06-2008, 07:10 AM

Gotta disagree with you on that one.

I think that senile fat fool Madden is the worst Steeler hater. He has never gotten over the Immaculate Reception. Consider all the crap we had to go through because of his comments during the Super Bowl about "ticky tac" calls when we all know the calls against the Seahags were justified.

stlrtruck
11-06-2008, 09:04 AM

I think that senile fat fool Madden is the worst Steeler hater. He has never gotten over the Immaculate Reception. Consider all the crap we had to go through because of his comments during the Super Bowl about "ticky tac" calls when we all know the calls against the Seahags were justified.

There are a few ahead of Jackson:
Madden (as you stated)
Collinsworth
Boomer Esiason

XxKnightxX
11-07-2008, 08:45 AM
There are a few ahead of Jackson:
Madden (as you stated)
Collinsworth
Boomer Esiason

Madden= Loser I agree always negating the steelers and still cries about the immaculate reception. Get it in your head man, you lost.
Collinsworth= Bunghole who made the best reception of his career by cathing the microphone they threw at him.
Esiason= Couldnt beat the steelers, couldnt beat the packers, couldnt beat the 49ers=Loser

The media loves to envy the quiet and successful teams like the Spurs in the NBA. Quiet team, works hard, and win no matter what with no pre madonnas. Also noting the fact that the ones who always bash the steelers are ex players who always got owned by them.

Bumr50
11-20-2008, 09:20 AM
I'd like to contribute by saying that Tom Jackson this morning on Mike & Mike that Miami has a better shot in the AFC than the Steelers.

TackleMeBen
11-20-2008, 09:41 AM
I'd like to contribute by saying that Tom Jackson this morning on Mike & Mike that Miami has a better shot in the AFC than the Steelers.
i missed that one. he has to be joking, while miami has played better this season, i still dont see them having a better shot in the AFC. the colts are the team i would be afraid of now. they are starting to play better and could be a big factor in the playoffs. i would put our defense up against the dolphins 'wildcat' offense anyday and i am sure we know which one would come out on top:tt02:

JEFF4i
11-20-2008, 10:48 AM
There's a lot of Steeler love out here in New Mexico. Don't know why, but there is!

That said, I think one of the big things is, as said, we don't have any attention hoggers. Holmes got benched for his possession, accepted it, and came back quiet, and started doing his job again. Could we say the same about TO? Moss? That horrid Chad Johnson?

fansince'76
11-20-2008, 11:24 AM

ESPN = JOKE. :yawn:

STEEL-MAN
11-20-2008, 03:29 PM
not from NY or a money town, it's not hate it is envy, jealous people don't have a sole. Media want stories, they don't want to hear how the Steelers are the most followed footfall team in the world or that they have the biggest fan base, or that they have home field advantage because of their fans anywhere in the NFL. Steelers are the ENVY of the NFL and the media can't stand it!

italiansteeler
11-20-2008, 03:34 PM
Hey there...

Rhetorical question for discussion on a beautiful Tuesday. Why is it that there is this insidious hate against the Steelers from seemingly everywhere BUT the Steelers' fans?

Even my daughter noticed it last night, and she is only 6. During pregame, she was playing in the same room as the pregame was on, and my wife and I were just watching the talking heads. All of a sudden, my daughter looked up and said, "Daddy... why don't the announcers like the Steelers?" I honestly didn't have an answer to her.

I mean, come on... the Cowboys have been dominant for about as long as the Steelers have, and they constantly get their knob slobbed regardless of how they are imploding this year. The Patriots CHEATED for crying out loud, and yet folks were standing in line to get a slob of some Patriot knob...

People always seem to say that the Steelers "aren't as good as their record shows" or some crazy crap like that. Why is it that they say that about us with our dominating defense and OK offense when they can do nothing but compliment an OBVIOUSLY Mediocre Titans team that could just as easily be 4-4 instead of 8-0 behind a stout defense...

Why, why, why?? Or fans are some of the most polite in the business (we rank right up there with the Packer-Backers, who are a very nice bunch of folks and travel well, too!) and the fan base is broad-based, too.

Is it just that because we have been so good for so long that too many sportscasters have been beaten by us too many times for them to be objective (John Madden!)... Are we destined to be perennially the team that everyone loves to hate?? Why, Why, Why???

Let's discuss...

Mike in La Crosse, WI

Very simple. Because we're:champs:

Steelers & I
11-20-2008, 03:45 PM

Imagine that, Tom Jackson hating on the Steelers today? Nooooooo.

I saw that segment on Mike and Mike this morning and I thoght about pulling up this thread. Jackson HATES the Steeler so much that he refused to even mention them as an AFC contender, absolutely REFUSED to say either Pittsburgh or Steelers.

Just like I said on 11-06-08, as quoted above, Tom Jackson is THE WORST of the Steelers haters, PERIOD!

It's not Madden, yeah, maybe 30 years ago but Madden hasn't truly hated on the Steelers for quite some time.

millwalldavey
11-20-2008, 03:53 PM
Rather be hated than ignored!

Preacher
11-20-2008, 04:45 PM

:chuckle:

But at least he has a legitimate reason. Old rivalries die hard. You gotta like that.

fansince'76
11-20-2008, 05:01 PM
I saw that segment on Mike and Mike this morning and I thoght about pulling up this thread. Jackson HATES the Steeler so much that he refused to even mention them as an AFC contender, absolutely REFUSED to say either Pittsburgh or Steelers.

:chuckle:

But at least he has a legitimate reason. Old rivalries die hard. You gotta like that.

I guess Tom Jackson doesn't live by the old adage "The enemy of my enemy is my friend," then....

(Tom) Jackson, one of the game's pre-eminent sack artists over his 14-year career with the Denver Broncos, did not lack for flair when he played. Nor, to his chagrin, can he say he never lost his tongue. But he'd also like to think there was some context, and humor, to his semi-historic taunt of John Madden on Oct. 16, 1977.

The Broncos hadn't won at Oakland in 15 years, losing 14 straight to the Raiders at one point and 20 of 24. Recovering a fumble near the Raiders sideline in the course of a 30-7 rout at Oakland, Jackson looked straight at the opposing head coach and yelled, "It's over, fat man!"

http://www.psychologyofsports.com/guest/20070129.htm

:toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

Preacher
11-20-2008, 05:09 PM
Its over, fat man!

http://www.psychologyofsports.com/guest/20070129.htm

:toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

That is hilarious!

:laughing:

TeeJay
11-20-2008, 07:06 PM
Guess since they can't write about their luuuuurve child Brady, they'd find someone else to fornicate over.

The Media hate The Steelers....I lose no sleep whatsoever over that.

I'd be worried if they started showing an interest in things Black and Gold (Cause that would mean they were actually paying attention, and actually doing their job! :wave::coffee:).......and you can't have the media doing things like that!!