PDA

View Full Version : Starks, Stapleton, Hartwig's play.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-04-2008, 07:30 PM
I thought last night that Starks looked like his usual self. Not bad, but he lumbers around in pass protection and gets beat by speed rushers. He couldnt handle the fast guys in 2006 and still cant.

Stapleton again wasnt bad, but more often I saw him getting stood up and pushed backward into offensive backfield, rather than get some kind of forward push. I dont know that he is a long term answer to start over the next few years.

Hartwig seems to handle his business. He is no Webster or Dawson, but seems to be able to move his guy in the run game and move his feet decently in pass blocking.

Sadly, I dont want to rely on Starks or Stapleton to start next season, but have a feeling the Steelers will resign Max and if Simmons isnt back yet.....who else is gonna play RG?? Maybe Colon moves inside and Tony Hills can play RT by then.

devilsdancefloor
11-04-2008, 07:43 PM
the play that sticks out in my mind the most about the line last night was ben's INT. what the heck was starks thinking knock it down!!!!!!!! It was like he was play dodge ball and was thinking oh god oh ogd dont let it hit me ! I hope tony hill can start next year! i really think the middle of our line is doing a good job it is the edges. One of the reasons why heath miller isnt catching to many balls is beacuse he has to helpo out a tackle:banging:! But alas we are 6-2 i wil take it!:drink:

Preacher
11-04-2008, 08:18 PM
I think Stapleton is an upgrade over Simmons this year. I am fine with him holding the position for a year or two until we can fill it. We have bigger holes to fill right now.

jjpro11
11-04-2008, 08:36 PM
stapleton hasnt been bad.. we have been getting a lot of nice run plays on his side in particular.

Preacher
11-04-2008, 08:38 PM
stapleton hasnt been bad.. we have been getting a lot of nice run plays on his side in particular.

Yep. I think he can grow into the position no problem.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-04-2008, 09:24 PM
Yep. I think he can grow into the position no problem.

I hope so. But last night he was getting pushed into the backfield in the same manner that Mahan was last season and this past preseason. I'm just letting you guys know, so dont be surprised if he isnt pencilled in at RG next season.

I'm honestly hoping we either find a OT in RD#1 of the draft, or that C Alex Mack of Cal is still on the board when we pick. Mack might be able to step in a start and we then have guys that can play guard like Hartwig, Simmons, Stapleton, Colon (Kemo if extended).

Preacher
11-04-2008, 10:03 PM
I hope so. But last night he was getting pushed into the backfield in the same manner that Mahan was last season and this past preseason. I'm just letting you guys know, so dont be surprised if he isnt pencilled in at RG next season.

I'm honestly hoping we either find a OT in RD#1 of the draft, or that C Alex Mack of Cal is still on the board when we pick. Mack might be able to step in a start and we then have guys that can play guard like Hartwig, Simmons, Stapleton, Colon (Kemo if extended).

Here's the thing. I would rather like to have Center, and R/L Guard solid, and focus on the tackles this year. However, if we can pick up a good center in the middle rounds, I would be happy, provided we got a tackle in the high rounds and maybe a FA for a Tackle as well.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-04-2008, 11:04 PM
Here's the thing. I would rather like to have Center, and R/L Guard solid, and focus on the tackles this year. However, if we can pick up a good center in the middle rounds, I would be happy, provided we got a tackle in the high rounds and maybe a FA for a Tackle as well.

I think you will see the Steelers draft both an OT and interior lineman in the first 4 rounds this year. Say we are picking in the 28-32 spot. Most likely that top OT's like Oher, Monroe, Black will be gone unless the Steelers trade up.

They may be in the same situation of needing to take the best athlete available and it may be an interior lineman, or DE. I think any solid O lineman in the first would be a good move....even if its an OG or C. The OT's will likely be Colon and Hills fighting for the RT spot and a free agent LT and rookie pick as the other 2 tackles on the team.

SteelMember
11-05-2008, 10:26 AM
When the Steelers get the 32nd pick :wink02:, I don't think we will be in a position to get an "impact" tackle. As proven in past years drafts, we'd be in better position to get the best center/guard available than project a 5-6 value tackle. Drafts can be all about the hype of a player at the time. As an example, we drafted Heath in the late first round because of questions of his health, but he was the best TE available. So far, so good for us. The other side of that is a guy like Branden Albert in last years draft. An interior linemen speculated to transfer to tacle in the NFL, is a very tough transition imo. If he had stayed "under the rader" as an interior linemen, the Steelers may of had a chance to pick him up later in the round, much like Faneca.

SteelMember
11-05-2008, 10:32 AM
the play that sticks out in my mind the most about the line last night was ben's INT. what the heck was starks thinking knock it down!!!!!!!! It was like he was play dodge ball and was thinking oh god oh ogd dont let it hit me !

I don't know what was going through his head, but he looked like he was going to hit the ground because someone yelled "Look Out!". :noidea:

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-06-2008, 12:12 AM
When the Steelers get the 32nd pick :wink02:, I don't think we will be in a position to get an "impact" tackle. As proven in past years drafts, we'd be in better position to get the best center/guard available than project a 5-6 value tackle. Drafts can be all about the hype of a player at the time. As an example, we drafted Heath in the late first round because of questions of his health, but he was the best TE available. So far, so good for us. The other side of that is a guy like Branden Albert in last years draft. An interior linemen speculated to transfer to tacle in the NFL, is a very tough transition imo. If he had stayed "under the rader" as an interior linemen, the Steelers may of had a chance to pick him up later in the round, much like Faneca.

This is why I think Alex Mack might be a possibility. I cant think of any center taken in the first round since maybe Jeff Faine. If an impact OT isnt there, they might go interior line of D line.

SunshineMan21
11-06-2008, 12:37 AM
I agree--I would love to snag Alex Mack next year.

My best-case scenario would be us getting Eugene Monroe, but that's never gonna happen.

atlsteelers
11-06-2008, 09:44 AM
i think hartwig has played well. stapleton okay - but i have been disappointed by starks play - it seems he blocks the wrong guys on some the deffensive stunts and blitzes. but he is a strong run blocker not a finese pass blocker that these steeler coaches seem to want to transition to.

Steeldude
11-06-2008, 09:54 AM
Tony Hills can play RT by then

now that's scary.

IMO, hartwig has probably played the best out of everyone. or at least he has been more consistent.

lilyoder6
11-06-2008, 10:35 AM
i am happy with the way our interior lineman are playing.. they are all new starters for us and they are playing very well.. kemo doing a nice job replacing alan.. give him a new contract.. and stapleton is playing very well 4 simmons(and he is young) so give him a new contract... imo we have guards for the future... could draft a center to work with til hartwigs contract is up...

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-06-2008, 02:34 PM
now that's scary.

IMO, hartwig has probably played the best out of everyone. or at least he has been more consistent.

Funny how all the Mahan fans/Hartwig haters have all been calmed. I too think Hartwig has played well. Kemo is somewhat up and down, Starks just sets his feet in pass protection and doesnt have a kick to keep him with the speed rushers.

I know the Tony Hills RT thing looks far fetched right now, but give the kid a year and I think you will see improvement. He has good feet(better than Colon or Starks), run blocks well, but just didnt look strong enough to punch pass rushers effectively. A big guy that run blocks well, can stay with speed rushers, but needs a year in the weight room can be a great RT next season.