PDA

View Full Version : Ralph Nader's Racist Comments

Preacher
11-05-2008, 12:51 AM
He just said "Will Obama be an uncle Sam for the people, or an uncle Tom for the corporations."

It was in his concession speech.

Sheperd Smith gave him a chance to correct himself... and he didn't. Smith then basically dismissed him

What a schmuck. On this day.

tony hipchest
11-05-2008, 01:47 AM
preach, starting this thread, at this time, looks terrible. i hope the mods bail you out of this one and quickly change the title to ANYTHING else.

is now the time to really take on an agenda against ralph freaking nader?

:tap: nobody cares about him

Preacher
11-05-2008, 01:52 AM
preach, starting this thread, at this time, looks terrible. i hope the mods bail you out of this one and quickly change the title to ANYTHING else.

is now the time to really take on an agenda against ralph freaking nader?

:tap: nobody cares about him

Um.. Tony.

I took what I saw on TV ... and put on on a thread, because in a historical moment, a man that has had quite an impact on elections in the past, and is to the left of most all of us, uttered some very ignorant racist remarks.

I don't want neither this thread nor the title to be changed... it needs to be put out in front that idiots from the left and right are still out there. This election changes NOTHING on that.

I do find it interesting though, that in the face of such racism, you choose to criticize me for posting it rather than criticize the man making the comments.

Borski
11-05-2008, 01:52 AM
He just said "Will Obama be an uncle Sam for the people, or an uncle Tom for the corporations."

It was in his concession speech.

Sheperd Smith gave him a chance to correct himself... and he didn't. Smith then basically dismissed him

What a schmuck. On this day.

....sorry, but I have to ask. Whats an Uncle Tom?

I should probably know this.

Preacher
11-05-2008, 01:59 AM
....sorry, but I have to ask. Whats an Uncle Tom?

I should probably know this.

From Wikipedia (yeah, not a good source, but it works here)

Uncle Tom is a pejorative (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pejorative) for a black person (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_people) who is perceived by others as behaving in a subservient manner to White American (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_American) authority figures, or as seeking ingratiation with them by way of unnecessary accommodation.

tony hipchest
11-05-2008, 02:02 AM
Um.. Tony.

I took what I saw on TV ... and put on on a thread, because in a historical moment, a man that has had quite an impact on elections in the past, and is to the left of most all of us, uttered some very ignorant racist remarks.

I don't want neither this thread nor the title to be changed... it needs to be put out in front that idiots from the left and right are still out there. This election changes NOTHING on that.

I do find it interesting though, that in the face of such racism, you choose to criticize me for posting it rather than criticize the man making the comments.

:thumbsup: ok. mods please disregard my plea for help.

i would suggest we set up a poll to see if we think if barack is an uncle tom, but on second thought i will just suggest we leave well enough alone and see where this thread goes.

borski, the better question is "who is ralph nader"?. :chuckle:

augustashark
11-05-2008, 02:06 AM
Obama is fair game now! No race card played now. He is our president and if he screws up then let him have it, just like everyother president in history. When that day comes, I will hope all people (including african americans) see it as justified and not racism because if they don't then they will only hurt themselves.

Preacher
11-05-2008, 02:10 AM
:thumbsup: ok. mods please disregard my plea for help.

i would suggest we set up a poll to see if we think if barack is an uncle tom, but on second thought i will just suggest we leave well enough alone and see where this thread goes.

borski, the better question is "who is ralph nader"?. :chuckle:

Tony... as I said before. You don't need to be an ass in every thread dealing with Obama.

Pardon me for shedding light on a racist statement... or are you just upset it came from a man on the left?

Either way, never mind. Some things Tony, should be beyond even your games.

tony hipchest
11-05-2008, 02:15 AM
Tony... as I said before. You don't need to be an ass in every thread dealing with Obama.

Pardon me for shedding light on a racist statement... or are you just upset it came from a man on the left?

Either way, never mind. Some things Tony, should be beyond even your games.youre on the left??? i thought you were voting for mccain?

(see how simple statements can be misconsrued?)

again... youre right.

this board is ripe for an "Uncle Tom" thread right about now.

my answer to your question is NO!.... barack is not an uncle tom, and i agree that nader is a schmuck for saying as much.

i hope we dont have threads for every insignificant schmoe who says as much because i can imagine there will be many.

Preacher
11-05-2008, 02:44 AM
youre on the left??? i thought you were voting for mccain?

(see how simple statements can be misconsrued?)

again... youre right.

this board is ripe for an "Uncle Tom" thread right about now.

my answer to your question is NO!.... barack is not an uncle tom, and i agree that nader is a schmuck for saying as much.

i hope we dont have threads for every insignificant schmoe who says as much because i can imagine there will be many.

Hmmm...

Nader may be insignificant now.. .but for a person that had as much influence in America as that man has.. I think it is quite telling that he said what he did... I guess you really don't know the history of the man.

And again... to correct you, this isn't an "uncle tom thread"

This is a thread about how a former shaper of the American scene and person taking on corporations, at one time actually forcing changes.. a person that affected the elections in 2000 and possibly 2004 to the point where he may have handed it to Bush... threw out a VERY racist comment on one of the most historical nights in the american history.

Why do you keep trying to turn it to something else?

EDIT: I just re-read the title of the thread... OK, I understand... I'll PM the mods to change it to... "Nader's Racist Comments" Fair enough?

tony hipchest
11-05-2008, 02:56 AM
you know what preach? in the past few weeks ive tried my best to abide by LLT's bogus and insincere plea for non partisanship in his "lets all be friends" thread and wasnt gonna even post this but since the floodgates of insignificant diatribe and sour grapes have been opened, lets just look into the mindset of some on the right-

theres no better thread to put in this type of spew.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2008-11-04/mccains-auntie-speaks-again/

A grueling and bitter campaign has taken its toll on family morale, John McCain's aunt, Rowena Willis, told The Daily Beast today in an exclusive interview.

According to the 96 year-old Willis, her twin sister, Roberta McCain, the candidate's mother, has become resigned to her son's electoral fate.

"She really doesn't care," Willis said of her 96-year old twin sister, who has campaigned for her son and recorded TV ads with him. “‘Let these bastards get in,’ she says, ‘I don't give a damn anymore. If these people want to buy votes and get their people in office, let them suffer for it in the way of high taxes.’”

"I'm hoping he wins, for the country's sake,” McCain’s aunt said. “I figure it will kill him, but he's going to die one day anyway, so he might as well do it there."

Willis has done her part for her nephew's campaign, donating the maximum $2,300 to the candidate in June. Today she joined two nieces at 6:30 a.m. to go vote at a precinct on Larchmont Blvd. in Los Angeles, California, where she said turnout was unusually high.

"I waited an hour at least," she said. "I've lived here 65 years and I've never seen lines like this."

She said she had little patience for voters who complained about long lines at early voting stations that were open throughout the week in various states.

"I sat in line more than an hour today and I'm nearly 100. We should have one day of voting and if these people are too weak to vote, too bad," she said.

In an interview earlier this month with The Daily Beast, Willis told me that McCain was losing. McCain's mother told supporters at the time to "pray for a miracle," and Willis said she was still praying for a victory for her beloved nephew, whom she described as "honest" and incorruptible.

"I'm hoping he wins, for the country's sake. I figure it will kill him, but he's going to die one day anyway, so he might as well do it there," she said, "But that man is honest—he has all the money in the world, he could do whatever he wants, even without his wife's money, which he does not have; they keep it separate. He has a good pension from the Navy and my father was very rich."

Sarah Palin also won high praise from Willis: "I think she's marvelous. I don't care how inexperienced she is or anything else—she's been through a lot. She did vote against her party and she has cancelled a lot of those pork barrel requests in Alaska."

As a mother of five, Willis said she was most concerned about how the election would impact the younger generations in her family.

"They will be broke with the Democrats in, with the number of people they will have to pay who have never paid a dollar of income tax in their life," she said. "Our children will suffer."

i know she's an old coot, but she seems to be on top of her game and still has the right to vote.

augustashark
11-05-2008, 03:09 AM
you know what preach? in the past few weeks ive tried my best to abide by LLT's bogus and insincere plea for non partisanship in his "lets all be friends" thread and wasnt gonna even post this but since the floodgates of insignificant diatribe and sour grapes have been opened, lets just look into the mindset of some on the right-

theres no better thread to put in this type of spew.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2008-11-04/mccains-auntie-speaks-again/

i know she's an old coot, but she seems to be on top of her game and still has the right to vote.

Come on bud, I'm sure there are alot of sour grapes out there to choose from. I don't know, to pull a quote from a 96 year old aunt of McCain is kinda silly. Nader however does have merit in this country, not by me but alot of others.

tony hipchest
11-05-2008, 03:23 AM
Why do you keep trying to turn it to something else?

EDIT: I just re-read the title of the thread... OK, I understand... I'll PM the mods to change it to... "Nader's Racist Comments" Fair enough?theres youre answer. not only is it fair enough... i would have absolutely no problem if this entire thread were erased.

i am not (or wasnt) trying to purposefully call you out. but this thread on this board just looks awful at this time.

we are embarking on a historical time for our young country (good or bad) and i really could care less about some verbal diahrea from nader or mccains aunt right about now (for all i know both of them both grew up on plantations and are WAY, WAY out of touch.

Steel Duck
11-05-2008, 03:41 AM
I can't believe anyone would take anything Nader says and deem it worthy to post here.........:doh:

Preacher
11-05-2008, 03:59 AM
theres youre answer. not only is it fair enough... i would have absolutely no problem if this entire thread were erased.

i am not (or wasnt) trying to purposefully call you out. but this thread on this board just looks awful at this time.

we are embarking on a historical time for our young country (good or bad) and i really could care less about some verbal diahrea from nader or mccains aunt right about now (for all i know both of them both grew up on plantations and are WAY, WAY out of touch.

I can't believe anyone would take anything Nader says and deem it worthy to post here.........:doh:

If it was just something that was said and I happened on it on a backwater website... I wouldn't have cared.

But he was on the top-rated Cable news network, and refused to backdown numerous times. Which means, MILLIONS of people heard it. That makes it quite appropriate to discuss, IMO.

Especially when it shows just how far we have to go in order to get complete equality in this nation.

Steel Duck
11-05-2008, 04:02 AM
If it was just something that was said and I happened on it on a backwater website... I wouldn't have cared.

But he was on the top-rated Cable news network, and refused to backdown numerous times. Which means, MILLIONS of people heard it. That makes it quite appropriate to discuss, IMO.

Especially when it shows just how far we have to go in order to get complete equality in this nation.

Funny but FAUX news was the only network who gave that buffoon an interview......What does that say?

Preacher
11-05-2008, 04:28 AM
Funny but FAUX news was the only network who gave that buffoon an interview......What does that say?

It says that Fox news cared enough to expose him completely.

"Faux" news. Come on, really? Is that how "division" is overcome, by attacking a news organization that has editorial programs on it which lean right?

Stopping division doesn't mean the other side goes away quitely. It means your side ramps DOWN its rhetoric as well.

Personally, I applaud Fox news for playing it and showing him to be the ignorant man he is. HIDING RACISM doesn't equate to NEGATING racism.

apathi0
11-05-2008, 05:52 AM
Referencing Obama's skin color using any adjective contrary to 'good' or 'historical' is certainly an unpopular move right now. However, doing so does not make one a racist (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/racist).

Nader wasn't allowed the courtesy of debate, rather he was bullied in to apology. Tactless as Nader may be, I would have liked to hear his reasonings for such a loud statement, considering the circumstances.

revefsreleets
11-05-2008, 08:45 AM
Obama's skin color has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that he has a razor thin resume, we still know very little about him, and he's now the most powerful man in the world.

His race has nothing to do with how effective or ineffective he'll be as a leader. Now that the US has elected a black man president, color is no longer a legitimate excuse for ANYTHING. There are no glass ceilings. There can be no more clinging to victimization. With hard work and dedication ANYbody can do ANYthing in this country.

The "race card" died last night. I NEVER want to see or hear it ever again from anyone. It's OVER.

Hines0wnz
11-05-2008, 07:06 PM
Obama's skin color has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that he has a razor thin resume, we still know very little about him, and he's now the most powerful man in the world.

His race has nothing to do with how effective or ineffective he'll be as a leader. Now that the US has elected a black man president, color is no longer a legitimate excuse for ANYTHING. There are no glass ceilings. There can be no more clinging to victimization. With hard work and dedication ANYbody can do ANYthing in this country.

The "race card" died last night. I NEVER want to see or hear it ever again from anyone. It's OVER.

Just to add to that.....Nebraska voted to end affirmative action last night.

http://omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2835&u_sid=10478162

Vis
11-06-2008, 07:58 AM

Black NFL owner?

xfl2001fan
11-06-2008, 08:02 AM
Black NFL owner?

Come up with one name that is rich and stupid enough to take on a franchise worth taking on.

With the rising costs of stadiums, players contracts and everything else...the only franchises worth purchasing are owned by guys who aren't selling.

Vis
11-06-2008, 08:03 AM
Come up with one name that is rich and stupid enough to take on a franchise worth taking on.

With the rising costs of stadiums, players contracts and everything else...the only franchises worth purchasing are owned by guys who aren't selling.

Black leader of the KKK?

xfl2001fan
11-06-2008, 08:08 AM
Black leader of the KKK?

When there's a white leader of the Black Panthers and/or NAACP.

Vis
11-06-2008, 08:11 AM
When there's a white leader of the Black Panthers and/or NAACP.

My point is that there will always be barriers to break down. People think in terms of "us" and "them. It's all in how you define the "us"

My belief is that if you use a plural pronoun for a group of people based on race, any thing you follow it with is subject to increased scrutiny. When you judge the individual by the group you are a pea wit.

xfl2001fan
11-06-2008, 08:13 AM
My point is that there will always be barriers to break down. People think in terms of "us" and "them. It's all in how you define the "us"

My belief is that if you use a plural pronoun for a group of people based on race, any thing you follow it with is subject to increased scrutiny. When you judge the individual by the group you are a pea wit.

I agree whole heartedly. When I speak of "us", it's either Military-based, faith-based or when I mean U.S.

It's rare that I step outside of those areas without a point to make.

revefsreleets
11-06-2008, 09:28 AM
I think you missed my point.

Barriers are one thing. But clinging to a victim mentality has been the downfall of the black race for 40 years. EVERY other culture has assimilated and pulled themselves up by their bootstraps BUT blacks.

That ended last night. In this country (and we are, believe it or not, not very racist as countries go) there are unique opportunities for anyone to do anything and the tired excuses no longer wash.

There are plenty of other "victims" for you far left co-dependent liberals to go fix...

stlrtruck
11-06-2008, 10:16 AM
People think in terms of "us" and "them. It's all in how you define the "us"

When it stops being about "us" and "them" and starts being about AMERICA and AMERICANS then you will see definitive "CHANGE" in this country!!!

Vis
11-06-2008, 12:20 PM
When it stops being about "us" and "them" and starts being about AMERICA and AMERICANS then you will see definitive "CHANGE" in this country!!!

Same thing

us them
white black
christian muslim
boy girl
American non-American
gay straight
republican democrat

HometownGal
11-06-2008, 01:22 PM
That ended last night. In this country (and we are, believe it or not, not very racist as countries go) there are unique opportunities for anyone to do anything and the tired excuses no longer wash.

:thumbsup::applaudit::applaudit:

Now let's see who takes advantage of those opportunities that are privileges and not rights.

HometownGal
11-06-2008, 01:24 PM
Same thing

us them
white black
christian muslim
boy girl
American non-American
gay straight
republican democrat

vampire bats lawyers

:laughing::wink02::flap:

xfl2001fan
11-06-2008, 01:25 PM
vampire bats lawyers

:laughing::wink02::flap:

That is way out of line. Vampire bats aren't near as vicious or blood sucking.