PDA

View Full Version : Leftwich may start for a hobbled Ben Sunday

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-05-2008, 09:50 AM
Leftwich may start for a hobbled Ben Sunday
By Mike Bires, Times Sports Staff
Published: Tuesday, November 4, 2008 11:35 PM EST

PITTSBURGH — The Steelers may not have a quarterback controversy, but they do have serious issues.

Ben Roethlisberger’s right shoulder, originally injured in the season opener, is affecting his performance. Coach Mike Tomlin admitted as much Tuesday at his weekly press conference.

And with Roethlisberger aggravating the injury in Monday’s 23-6 win over Washington, there’s now a question of who should play Sunday when the Steelers (6-2) play Indianapolis (4-4).

As always when asked about his quarterback’s health status, Tomlin was vague. He refused to speculate if Byron Leftwich will start against the Colts.

However, Tomlin did confirm that Roethlisberger’s recent performances have suffered due to a sprain or slight separation that won’t go away.

“I’m sure his shoulder has affected him,” Tomlin said. “How much it has affected him, I do not know. It really is kind of irrelevant, truth be known. We don’t look for or seek excuses. Bumps and bruises and injuries are part of this game. When we deem people healthy enough to play, their play speaks for itself.”

If Tomlin really means that, then he must acknowledge that Roethlisberger just suffered through one of the worst two-game stretches of his career.

Roethlisberger compiled a miserable 15.1 passer rating against the Redskins. In last week’s 21-14 loss to the Giants, his passer rating was 38.5.

In those two games, he completed just 18 of 46 passes (39.1 percent) with one touchdown and five interceptions.

Statistically, that’s the worst he played since his first two games of the 2006 season when he combined for no TD passes and five interceptions while compiling passer ratings of 38.7 and 30.7.

“No news in regards to Ben. He has a (noon) appointment (today) to get scanned,” Tomlin said. “We will have news at some point, just not as I sit here right now.”

Later, Tomlin reiterated that the Steelers would issue an update on Roethlisberger once results of his MRI were determined.

“I will if and when I get it,” he said.

Just as Tomlin finished his press conference, Roethlisberger had already finished his exam and was eating lunch in the cafeteria at team headquarters. His right arm wasn’t in a sling, but based on the way he carried his food tray with his left hand, it was obvious his shoulder is still sore.

“I’m all right,” he told a member of the organization.

Despite Tomlin’s promise that there would be an update on Roethlisberger’s condition, a team spokesman said otherwise.

So, with Roethlisberger’s health in question, there’s a very good chance that it will be Leftwich who starts against Indianapolis.

“I don’t want to speculate at this point,” Tomlin said. “We could speculate for the rest of today. I’d just (rather) wait until we get more vital information to see where he is”

Last year when he threw a team-record 32 TD passes, Roethlisberger posted a 104.1 passer rating, another team record. He was the NFL’s second-highest rated passer behind New England’s Tom Brady (117.2).

But now with a sore shoulder that’s affecting his play, Roethisberger ranks 21st in the league with a 79.6 passer rating.

“I always tell Ben, ‘When you’re really hurt, let me know,’ ” Leftwich said.

At halftime, it was Tomlin who told Leftwich that Roethlisberger wouldn’t be able to continue.

“Let’s go 4,” Tomlin said.

“What do you mean?” Leftwich answered.

“Get ready. You’re going in,” Tomlin said.

Leftwich, a former Jacksonville starter, was ready.

In his first meaningful appearance since the Steelers signed him in August, he led the offense to two touchdowns on their first three second-half possessions.

http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2008/11/05/sports/steelers/doc4911227184d8f006643223.txt

devilsdancefloor
11-05-2008, 10:06 AM
Well if the injury just isnt going away maybe he should take a few weeks off maybe comeback after the bungels game. the way our D is playing if we get a few FG or a td we are gonna win. :tt03:

klick81
11-05-2008, 11:09 AM
If this is the case, I can only hope that Leftwich can consistently play as well as he did no Monday. Rest up Ben!

Leftoverhard
11-05-2008, 11:30 AM
This injury has really affected Ben's throwing ability all season long. I've noticed it. They're gonna have to suck it up and fix it and if that means leaving it up to Leftwich for a couple weeks - so be it. Hopefully it isn't too late for the shoulder to heal properly during this season.

rbryan
11-05-2008, 11:48 AM
Probably not a bad idea, but I doubt Bens pride will allow him to sit down against Manning.

IMO he's putting way too much pressure on himself to live up to the new contract. We don't need a pro bowl/fantasy QB right now. With the way our D is playing we'll win 90% of the time as long as we don't have muliple turnovers.

TeeJay
11-05-2008, 01:48 PM
Just my personal opinion, and heck, I have been known to be wrong.....now and again :wink02:, so, don't flame me too bad, but.....if The Steelers are to make an impact in the play-offs, a 100% fit Ben is definitely the way to go. (Even this awesome D is going to need a little help once in a while).

So...he has to rest up for a while. No point in him struggling and possibly getting us the Divisonal Title, if he's going to be lame going into the Play-Offs. Give Byron a few games, (I think he'll surprise us all :tt03:) and let Ben get fit (no one can surely disagree we have all seen a drop off in his effectiveness lately). Despite what Ben wants to do, which is totally admirable, even he needs a break, to mend.

And any team, will fear Big Ben when he can play fully fit!

My personal fear is, if Ben continues playing right now, he won't be fit at all for the Play-Offs, (assuming we get there) and that's not really a good time to be wondering how good Bryon is........that's a bit too late!

SCSTILLER
11-05-2008, 02:00 PM
We need Ben 100% for the playoffs. Give him the time to heal up. I know he may not get to 100%, but get him close. Lefty did a good job in relief and beleive he can continue to be a good fill in for us for a couple of games. Would rather have Lefty playing now and get Ben healthy for the playoff run.

Like RBryan said, with our D playing the way it is, we will be OK!

MACH1
11-05-2008, 02:04 PM
Rest Ben for a couple of games. Get him healed up little for the playoff run.

SteelFist
11-05-2008, 02:15 PM
If he was hurting, he shouldn't have been playing...period. Did he hurt the team more than help vs the Giants??

Ben and Tomlin should share the blame on this one.

Edman
11-05-2008, 03:16 PM
Ben should sit. But if prior years are any indication, he won't.

Lefty is more than capable of leading against the Colts while he heals up.

Steelman16
11-05-2008, 04:18 PM
Leftwich should start against the Colts. If Lefty can just play a game-manager (yes, our favorite word. :chuckle: ) and get us in scoring position a few times, our D can hold the Colts easily.

We need Ben to be healthier than he's been. If it was me, I'd play Lefty for a few weeks. Parker is back, and that should help him carry the load while Ben rests.

lilyoder6
11-05-2008, 04:21 PM
bryon showed that he can play good for us.. there is no harm at staring bryon and having ben at number 2.. just in case bryon isn't do so well.. u can still bring ben in

TeeJay
11-05-2008, 04:50 PM
At least now The Colts have two seperate things to think about.......who's at QB.

(Which explain a lot!)

I got a feeling The Steelers won't be revealing who it is until later....a lot later :thumbsup:!

But's it's sure gonna f**k 'em up when Charlie comes out on the field! :wink02:

VTsteel
11-05-2008, 05:03 PM
I, for one, hope #7 gets a couple weeks of rest - and is in full-form come playoff time.

steelpride12
11-05-2008, 05:08 PM
We all saw this coming, Tomlin saying Ben never recovered from his shoulder yes it is time to rest a week or two and get Ben healthy for the end of the season and playoff push.

Lefty can def. give our offense that spark they have been looking for and against the Colts lack of run defense im sure Parker can loosen some holes and make his day alot better.

Steelerfreak58
11-05-2008, 05:10 PM
#7 is a long term investment you have to let that shoulder rest and recover if you expect to get any use out of him for December and January.

TeeJay
11-05-2008, 05:23 PM
Lefty can def. give our offense that spark they have been looking for and against the Colts lack of run defense im sure Parker can loosen some holes and make his day alot better.

And there's always Mewelde, to pound you when 'Fast Willie' needs a breather........Oh yeah, Steeler Football hasn't died, it was just luring everyone else into a false sense of security! :thumbsup::wink02:

...And they all fell for it.......Classic! :tt03::popcorn::applaudit::hatsoff:

Preacher
11-05-2008, 06:24 PM
Well...

I am flying across the country to watch Lefty play football!

Hmmm.

GO STEELERS!

Polamalu Princess
11-05-2008, 07:50 PM
We may need Ben later on in the season, so I think we should let Leftwich play QB, give Ben a rest and get the OFL in better protective mode.

stillers4me
11-05-2008, 08:00 PM
Well...

Hmmm.

GO STEELERS!

:hug:

I would be a bit disappointed not to see our franchise player at the helm of the ship, too. But..........hopefully seeing Woodley and Harrison biting off Peyton's head and spitting it out at the refs will ease the pain a bit. :wink02:

GeneralRobinson
11-05-2008, 08:01 PM
Ben rested the sholder for one week during the bye and it had no effect. Ben will not be 100% all season. We can't take the risk that he gets rusty after not playing and our offense gets out of sync. If he is medically cleared and he can tolerate the pain, he should be allowed to play. He gives us the best chance to win.

stillers4me
11-05-2008, 08:35 PM
Ben rested the sholder for one week during the bye and it had no effect. Ben will not be 100% all season. We can't take the risk that he gets rusty after not playing and our offense gets out of sync. If he is medically cleared and he can tolerate the pain, he should be allowed to play. He gives us the best chance to win.

He played like crap for the entire first half Monday night. One or two more intercepitions and we may have lost that game.

While I agree he will never be 100% all season, you can't put him out there like he is right now and risk putting him in IR if we have a reliable back up for a few games.

Unlike most of the other teams with injured QB's, it seem we do. We signed Lefty for just this scenario.

LVSteelersfan
11-05-2008, 08:45 PM

You don't think our offense is out of sync with him in there? Have you watched the pathetic offense the last few games. It did not move hardly at all except for a couple drives. Ben will not run any more because he is hurting which makes him less dangerous than he was last year when he would take off down the field. I think he needs to rest although I hate watching games without him in there. Leftwitch is not a long term answer to get us to the promised land. If Ben gets hurt and put on IR because we keep playing him hurt, then we are done.

CanadianSteel
11-05-2008, 08:57 PM
Well...

Hmmm.

GO STEELERS!

And I am driving up from Canada...... Oh well.... last game I was at where Ben didn't play worked out good .... 2004 vs Bills

GutterflowerSteel
11-05-2008, 09:18 PM
REST BEN!!

Lefty faced the Colts twice a year as a division rival - he can more than handle this upcoming game. Besides, I think he's rarin' to go - he's fresh ... and Ben isn't. There are other teams out there who just wish they had such a proven backup - we fortunately were able to snag him in the offseason. He's our contingency plan and THIS is the time to use him! :helmet:

43Hitman
11-05-2008, 09:24 PM
REST BEN!!

Lefty faced the Colts twice a year as a division rival - he can more than handle this upcoming game. Besides, I think he's rarin' to go - he's fresh ... and Ben isn't. There are other teams out there who just wish they had such a proven backup - we fortunately were able to snag him in the offseason. He's our contingency plan and THIS is the time to use him! :helmet:

Very good point. My thoughts exactly. It's all about who gives us the best chance to win now. This is a conference game, and is important no matter how badly the Colts are doing this year.

stillers4me
11-05-2008, 09:41 PM
REST BEN!!

Yeah......what she said!

Not only can he handle it.....our defense is more than capable to handle Peyton Manning on one of his good days, And he hasn't had too many of those this year.

klick81
11-06-2008, 12:01 AM
Has this been posted? :

Roethlisberger's MRI shows no damage, listed as "day to day"
Wednesday, November 05, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
The MRI taken on Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger showed no significant difference than it has all season and coach Mike Tomlin called him "day to day."

"His injury status is no different," Tomlin said after Roethlisberger did not practice today. "The MRI was very similar if not the same as it has been."

Roethlisberger's right shoulder was slightly separated in the season opener, but he has not missed a game since. He did not play in the second half of Monday night's 23-6 victory in Washington because the shoulder was re-injured when he scored a touchdown on a 1-yard quarterback sneak near the end of the first half.

Byron Leftwich finished the second half and took his place in practice this afternoon.

Roethlisberger said after practice that he wants to play against Indianapolis Sunday, but will have to see how his shoulder feels as the week goes along.

First published on November 5, 2008 at 3:27 pm

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08310/925609-66.stm

atlsteelers
11-06-2008, 09:54 AM
just please do not make it a game time decision. i had to pick up lefty on my fantasy team and i need to know who to start this sunday.

lilyoder6
11-06-2008, 10:33 AM
that int that ben threw was rly not his fault.. i think starks should of swatted it down.. but oh well.. as long as wein win sunday idc who is qb.. throw in dixon for all i care if we win

steelpride12
11-06-2008, 11:00 AM
Even with the negative MRII don't see Ben playing Sunday or even the next week all depending on how Lefty plays this week.

HometownGal
11-06-2008, 11:03 AM
I love Ben to pieces and believe a healthy Ben gives us our best shot at winning the AFCN and advancing, but opposing teams know by now that he has a shoulder problem and will capitalize on it, I'm sure. Why risk turning a temporary injury that will be on the mend (if Ben uses his noggin' here) into possibly a season-ending injury that could bode serious consequences in that shoulder down the road?

Ben - we're gonna need you when the goin' gets tough down the stretch. Don't be foolish here. Take a week or two off and mentor Lefty from the sidelines. Lefty knows his role on this team and I have the utmost confidence in him to get the job done in your absence.

Now rest that damned shoulder!!!

GeneralRobinson
11-06-2008, 11:57 AM
I agree that Ben did not play like a Pro Bowl QB against Washington. However, his shoulder should not be used as an excuse. His decision making and receivers dropping balls were the main reasons for the poor play. If the MRI shows no damage and the team gives him the green light, he should and will be out there. Any player can be injured even if they are 100% healthy. Ben is an accurate thrower. If he has a concern about getting hit, then the better alternative would be to use his accuracy to our advantage with quick passes to his receivers and allow them to run after the catch. Bruce Arians has said that this is Ben's offense. Hopefully he recognizes that changes in the gameplan are needed which will result in more effective QB play.

Steeldude
11-06-2008, 01:19 PM
problem to be wary of is if leftwich can stay healthy for more than 2 quarters. for a big guy he sure is fragile.

rbryan
11-06-2008, 01:35 PM
I'm torn on this one, but in my mind you rest him a couple weeks. If for no other reason its two less chances of him taking another hit that does knock him out for the rest of the season.

Heres my analogy. If your cars transmission is making funny noises and you think its about to go......maybe you drive the other car for a while to make sure both last as long as possible.....ie the playoffs.

Obviously all the games are important, but the ones in January are a lot more important.

43Hitman
11-06-2008, 05:30 PM
problem to be wary of is if leftwich can stay healthy for more than 2 quarters. for a big guy he sure is fragile.

Your right, if Lefty goes down then we see Dixon weather we want to or not. On the other hand, Lefty has dropped weight and looks a lot healthier this year than any other I can recall.

lilyoder6
11-06-2008, 05:59 PM
if u are gonna start bryon leftwich, i would put ben as the number 2 qb.. just incase

The Duke
11-06-2008, 06:38 PM
if u are gonna start bryon leftwich, i would put ben as the number 2 qb.. just incase

yeah, that seems like a smart move

According to ben he's ok to play, that's cool, but coach may decide to rest him and if leftwich goes down ( or stinks up his play) it would be wise to have ben there instead of an unproven rookie

I do want to see dixon playing some though, just not in a position where they can still win the game

MACH1
11-07-2008, 07:06 PM
Ben's listed as probable for Sunday even though he did not practice Friday. He also has a damaged ligament in his pinky on his throwing hand.

MasterOfPuppets
11-07-2008, 07:27 PM
I'm torn on this one, but in my mind you rest him a couple weeks. If for no other reason its two less chances of him taking another hit that does knock him out for the rest of the season.

Heres my analogy. If your cars transmission is making funny noises and you think its about to go......maybe you drive the other car for a while to make sure both last as long as possible.....ie the playoffs.

Obviously all the games are important, but the ones in January are a lot more important.what kinda car ? what year? automayic or manuel tranny ? :noidea:

GeneralRobinson
11-07-2008, 07:51 PM
Ben's listed as probable for Sunday even though he did not practice Friday. He also has a damaged ligament in his pinky on his throwing hand.

Ben practiced today. See below

Full Participation in Practice
Thursday S Tyrone Carter (ankle), DT Casey Hampton (toe), S Troy Polamalu (hand), RB Gary Russell (groin), CB Deshea Townsend (not injury related)
Friday S Tyrone Carter (ankle), DT Casey Hampton (toe), S Troy Polamalu (hand), QB Ben Roethlisberger (right shoulder), RB Gary Russell (groin), CB Deshea Townsend (not injury related), WR Hines Ward (shoulder)

http://news.steelers.com/article/98760/

MACH1
11-07-2008, 07:58 PM
Ben practiced today. See below

:doh:

Teaches me to listen to nfl network.

lilyoder6
11-07-2008, 08:04 PM
lol.. mach.. i have the same problem sometimes....

steelpride12
11-08-2008, 01:10 PM
Id prefer Ben to sit out this game, but he is making 102 million dollars so get out there and redeem yourself!

KeiselPower99
11-09-2008, 01:14 AM
I can see Ben toughing it out for the Colts and Chargers but Byron will be on stand by and against the Bengals I look for Byron to start.

TeeJay
11-09-2008, 02:17 PM
With Ben leading the O this weekend,

Unless either, a) The O line has become Herculean over week
or b) The Colts can't read.....(which is actually more likely :flap:)

You just know what their defensive remit for this game is gonna be.....Blitz, Blitz, then Blitz somemore! Put some pain on the QB.

And if that QB happens to be Ben, I doubt he can take much more, and be effective!!

Rest up!!! (Until The Bungles of course!! :blah::flap::thumbsup:)