PDA

View Full Version : COLTS WEEK!

Dino 6 Rings
11-05-2008, 12:24 PM
First, this a MUST win game for the Colts. They are not going to come into our house and simply lie down. They are also an AFC team which makes a win over them a top priority. Especially since they did in fact, just beat NE. A potential Tie Breaker for playoff spots is on the line for them. They need to beat the Steelers to have hopes of a playoff run.

Colts have the 22nd ranked offense
8th passing offense. Averaging 243.2 yrds per game. Have allowed only 9 sacks all year.
They are the last ranked in rushing.

Their defense is ranked 15th in the NFL. Average allowing 22.1, that's right where we need to get to in order to maintain our wins by keeping the opponent under 20. They have 11 sacks on the year. Ranked 25 against the run and THIRD against the pass. They have gotten 6 ints on the season.

This won't be an easy game. We must focus and hit them in the mouth hard and fast out of the gates.

TailgateMel
11-05-2008, 12:45 PM
Have allowed only 9 sacks all year.

how many sacks had the Redskins allowed prior to us playing them? (honest question)

during the last game, the commentators were saying that Steelers defense like it when things are "known".. in that, at the end of the game, they "knew" that the Redskins had to pass to try to make a comeback... so the Steelers came hard after the QB... with the Colts dismal running game, I'd like to hear some opinions as to if folks think the Steelers will be figuring the same (in that bringing the blitz HARD right off the get-go)

-Mel

TailgateMel
11-05-2008, 01:20 PM
I went & found the answer to my own question...

The Redskins had allowed 16 sacks in the 8 games prior to ours (avg. 2 per game)

The Colt 9 sacks allowed had occurred in the first 5 games... impressively, they allowed no sacks in the last 3 games vs. Green Bay, Tennessee and NE...

STEELtownHAVOX
11-05-2008, 01:26 PM
let's beat them up like we did in 05'

The Duke
11-05-2008, 01:29 PM
The Colt 9 sacks allowed had occurred in the first 5 games... impressively, they allowed no sacks in the last 3 games vs. Green Bay, Tennessee and NE...

Impressive

Green bay and tenessee are both good at rushing the passer, BUT they use their defensive lines to create pressure

Let's see how the colts handle actual blitzes. last time they couldn't handle it IIRC

RoethlisBURGHer
11-05-2008, 01:29 PM
They're gonna get their asses kicked. That offensive line can't block our pass rush.

Once again, they are gonna have "protection problems".

xlchamps
11-05-2008, 01:44 PM
yea if i remember correctly colts o-line had trouble when we cam to their home and sack Manning five time, and then later on won the superbowl.

TailgateMel
11-05-2008, 01:49 PM
yea if i remember correctly colts o-line had trouble when we cam to their home and sack Manning five time, and then later on won the superbowl.

While I appreciate that, and am proud of it...... that was 3 years ago.

Edman
11-05-2008, 01:50 PM
No, this game will not be easy. And it's the first in the string of three pivotal AFC games. All at home after playing only three home games the first half of the season. If the Steelers come out of this home stand 2-1 or at best 3-0, they'll have a edge in the playoff race. The Steelers have yet to lose a conference game this year.

The Colts are a well-coached team and they are desperate. They're nowhere near as strong as they were in previous years, but they've shown flashes of old form. They demolished Baltimore who we always have trouble with, and they played the unbeaten "physical" Titans tougher than they imagined.

The Steelers cannot sleepwalk on this team, but here's an encouraging thought: Manning has historically been frustrated by 3-4 defenses. The Chargers, Steelers, and Pats (All 3-4 D teams) have given him fits. The Mad Scientist will have some schemes ready for him.

SCSTILLER
11-05-2008, 01:54 PM
Impressive

Green bay and tenessee are both good at rushing the passer, BUT they use their defensive lines to create pressure

Let's see how the colts handle actual blitzes. last time they couldn't handle it IIRC

This is true, I beleive GB and TN run a 4-3 defense. And yes, I do beleive you remember correctly, we confused Manning with the Blitz and beat him up pretty good in the playoffs. IMO we will make them a one dimensional team pretty quick and our LB's will be able to "pin their ears back" and go after Manning!

RoethlisBURGHer
11-05-2008, 01:54 PM
Edman, I don't think we're going to sleepwalk on the Colts.

However, I don't think the Colts will be able to handle our pass rush. This isn't the same Colts team from previous years.

They demolished Baltimore, I thought okay the Colts are back, but they haven't had a game like that since.

They beat a Patriots team who's defense isn't very good and offense is average at best.

That 2005 offensive line was much better than this year's version, and our pass rush in 2008 is much better than our pass rush in 2005.

I don't see the Colts doing much on offense, I think they're gonna get their ass kicked.

hizmi
11-05-2008, 03:17 PM
Like always, our defense will be fine. The issue going into every game from here on out will be the offense.

Unfortunately, the Colts have the same blueprint that has given us trouble so far this year--a front four that can rush the passer.

lilyoder6
11-05-2008, 03:22 PM
i think that evry game from here on our for the colts is a must win... with the titans being 8-0 hurts them a lot.....alrdy 4 games out and wildcard as of right now not looking good for indy... but i like our pass rush on a less than usual stellar off from indy

steelpride12
11-05-2008, 04:13 PM
Im really excited for this game to see how we adjust to not having Ben and Heath around as our top play makers.
Spaeth has to step up not only to make good routes, but to block well and of course Lefty has the largest responsibility of the night.

I look for Lefty to hand off alot in the game and let FWP and Moore tear up the limping Colts defense in which i can see a long day for. Lefty at points will need to spread out that tough Colts secondary and find the open receivers and stay cool in the pocket.

The defense well not expecting 7 sacks, but any pressure if you remember from '05 causes Manning to make the errant pass which cause turnovers in our way, so pressure, pressure, pressure.

Finally ST needs to come out and just make plays, give us good field position and the Steelers can stare down 7-2.

The_WARDen
11-05-2008, 04:16 PM
A Steelers win will put a huge hurtin on the Dolts wild card positioning. Could you imagine a playoff season with no Manning or Brady? Who would ESPN slobber over?

stlrtruck
11-05-2008, 04:32 PM
A Steelers win will put a huge hurtin on the Dolts wild card positioning. Could you imagine a playoff season with no Manning or Brady? Who would ESPN slobber over?

Favre and Romo!

xlchamps
11-06-2008, 06:37 AM
Favre and Romo!

I dont think the cowboys r going to make it to the playoffs, but da brets will.

While I appreciate that, and am proud of it...... that was 3 years ago.

Yea but dat was da last time we played them right???

Steelers Since '75
11-06-2008, 07:47 AM
I see the Steelers doing really well in this game actually. The advantage we have that no one is talking about is that the Colts have no film of Lefty to study except for one half of play against the Skins. I bet we would have a much harder time with Ben in there as the Colts D would have studied film all week and just pressured the line all day. Lefty will be the wildcard for us and I think it will be a fun game to watch. Look for Moore to spread the D with a lot of screens and then Willie will run it down their throats... my guess is at least 100 yards rushing from FWP and another 100 all-purpose yards from Moore... 2-3 TD's from the pair. Lefty should be able to throw one as well but with the Colts pass D I think you will see a 75% run / 25% pass scheme... if Arians can figure it out :chuckle:

Steelers: 27
Colts: 16

Dino 6 Rings
11-06-2008, 08:40 AM
Colts have played against Lefty 2 times a year for quite a few years. He kept losing to them when he was a Jaguar.

I imagine that the Colts will use their quick short passing game, screens and draws to get our blitzes called off early on in the game. They'll try to use our own agressiveness against us and then try to score early and take away our running game.

It'll be a tough fight, especially against a team that is absolutely desperate for a win.

Steeldude
11-06-2008, 08:56 AM
this could be a very tough game for the steelers' defense. if the colts are smart they will use a short passing game. historically, the steelers' D has been eaten up by the short passing game.

memphissteelergirl
11-06-2008, 09:11 AM
Peyton and the Colts may be having a down year, but Manning still concerns me in the sense that IMHO he can read a defense like no other QB in the league. I'm pretty sure that LeBeau has a trump card or two he has not used yet this season. :wink02:

And like most have said here, for the Colts this is a must win and could kick-start a run for them. The Steelers can't take afford to look over them, even if their record is below average. Peyton is still Peyton....

HometownGal
11-06-2008, 09:24 AM
I don't think the Colts will lay down, even in enemy territory. While these aren't the same Colts we're used to seeing in recent years, they've still got enough fire power to smack you in the mouth if you take your eyes off of them for a split second.

I have all of the respect in the world for Peytoon, but as well as the Steelers D has been playing, I actually feel sorry for him this weekend, as I think our D is going to bring it big time. :tt02: They're going to be ready to lay a beatin' on Manning and the Colts O, though the Colts have some serious weaponry in Wayne, Harrison, Gonzalez and Clark.

Not only does the team have to be ready for a battle, Tomlin and his coaches have to be on their toes in this game as they are going to be up against a damned good coach in Dungy with a host of good coordinators and coaches.

P.S. If anyone who is lucky enough to go to the game can get me a good pic of Vinatieri, you will be handsomely rewarded. :wink02::thumbsup:

stillers4me
11-06-2008, 09:26 AM
P.S. If anyone who is lucky enough to go to the game can get me a good pic of Vinatieri, you will be handsomely rewarded. :wink02::thumbsup:

I see you have a "fantasy football team", too. :wink02:

Hines4ever
11-06-2008, 09:53 AM
I don't know what to think about this game.....my gut feeling is anxious and nervous!:noidea:

Dino 6 Rings
11-06-2008, 11:43 AM
They are the same Colts, they've just started off slower than normal. But I'm pretty sure a bunch of the guys on this Colts team have a SB ring from 2 years ago. So they are still dangerous and have their backs against the all in a game no one thinks they can win.

I almost rather that we'd start Lefty just so the team realizes they need to focus that much more and work that much harder.

steel striker
11-06-2008, 01:28 PM
This game does worry me as well and, like it was said above post the colts are a desperate team that needs to win. I still think we should start Lefty and, see what happens. Our defense is playing pretty well and, hopefully we can get enough pressure on Manning to keep him off balance. Also I think we should try to run the ball a little more. We need to this game too because, the rats are still just one game behind us.

TailgateMel
11-06-2008, 01:47 PM
I feel much better about this game than I did the Giants game, for sure!

Less distractions, I think the team still feels like they have something to prove (esp. Ben).

I am EXPECTING a win... the Giants game.. I was HOPING we could get one..

I don't think the Steelers are taking anything for granted, honestly. That is just my gut feelings. :tt:

Mel

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-06-2008, 02:13 PM
Yeah, Peyton is always dangerous, but Wayne is his #1 WR now, Harrison has lost a step, but Gonzales and Clark can do some damage in the middle.

They no longer have a decent run game and O line isnt great. I'm sure Lebeau will blitz early and often, while having DB's jump some routes to make Manning hold the ball longer.

Defensively, the Colts are no longer stopping the run well and they are always 1 Bob Sanders injury away from being terrible. I think this is a game that Leftwich can start and win at home.

memphissteelergirl
11-06-2008, 02:26 PM

Adam Vinatieri.....Yuuum, yum! :lust:

GeneralRobinson
11-07-2008, 01:41 PM
Injuries for Friday:

Pittsburgh:

Probable - S Tyrone Carter (ankle), DT Casey Hampton (toe), S Troy Polamalu (hand), QB Ben Roethlisberger (right shoulder), RB Gary Russell (groin), CB Deshea Townsend (not injury related), WR Hines Ward (shoulder)

Questionable - RB Najeh Davenport (hamstring), LB LaMarr Woodley (calf)

Doubtful - RB Willie Parker (shoulder)

Out - CB Bryant McFadden (forearm), TE Heath Miller (ankle), T Marvel Smith (back)

Indianapolis:

Probable - T Ryan Diem (ankle), TE Tom Santi (shoulder), QB Jim Sorgi (right hand)

Questionable - WR Roy Hall (knee), CB Kelvin Hayden (hamstring), DT Daniel Muir (hamstring)

http://news.steelers.com/article/98760/

GutterflowerSteel
11-07-2008, 09:02 PM
FYI the NFL Network is re-airing our 1/15/06 playoff game vs. the Colts right now - and will show it again at 2:30 a.m. Eastern :thumbsup:

*sniff* I miss Peezy :helmet: I don't care who he plays for - he'll always be a Steeler, to me.

lol do you all remember this:

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/1503/steelercoltssoftedge011lp8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

PisnNapalm
11-07-2008, 10:13 PM
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2006/01/15/sports/colts2.large.jpg

SteelCityMan786
11-07-2008, 10:56 PM
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2006/01/15/sports/colts2.large.jpg

That looks familiar. Oh that's right, it's the 05-06 playoff game. :toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

ben7
11-08-2008, 11:02 AM
When was the last time a Colts defense was ranked higher than ther offense.

steelpride12
11-08-2008, 12:07 PM
I feel good about this game. We are going to run the ball down there throats Parker gone even still, and i feel since Ben is probable he will redeem himself by having an excellent game.

Of course the defense needs to step up again and the secondary needs to pick Manning apart. Pressure is the key to force Peyton out of the pocket and throwing the ball to the players in black an gold.

Dino 6 Rings
11-08-2008, 06:25 PM
FYI the NFL Network is re-airing our 1/15/06 playoff game vs. the Colts right now - and will show it again at 2:30 a.m. Eastern :thumbsup:

*sniff* I miss Peezy :helmet: I don't care who he plays for - he'll always be a Steeler, to me.

lol do you all remember this:

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/1503/steelercoltssoftedge011lp8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

been watching the game on the NFL Network, was on last night and again today. Freaking awesome to watch this time know that Ben is going to make "The Tackle"

Cost me 8 years off my life the first time I watched that game live. Bus nearly killed me with that fumble. The wife had to stick my finger into a light socket to restart my heart!