PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin sending a message?

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
11-06-2008, 01:48 AM
Hmmm wonder what transpired here. :noidea:

http://postgazette.com/pg/08311/925823-66.stm

Steelers: Big Ben promises he'll do better

Ben Roethlisberger emerged from a meeting with Steelers coach Mike Tomlin yesterday and promised everyone will see an improved quarterback and offense when he is able to resume playing.

Tomlin would not say what transpired between him and Roethlisberger at their morning meeting, but it appeared to have an effect on his quarterback.

"You know what? I have played sub-par football to date," Roethlisberger said. "It's time for that to change and it will change. I think as my performance changes, I think you'll see some changes in the offense because we'll be clicking more, we'll be making more completions and things will happen nice."

Roethlisberger may have to wait to put his new approach into action because it is possible he will not play Sunday. He did not practice yesterday and Tomlin said he will be evaluated daily.

An MRI Tuesday showed that his right shoulder, slightly separated in the season opener and re-injured Monday in Washington, essentially remained in the same condition as it has been.

"I think what happened, it was getting a lot better and then we went back to square one," Roethlisberger said about the hit he took when he sneaked 1 yard for a touchdown late in the first half of the Steelers' 23-6 victory against the Redskins. "I played through it before, and we'll do it again."

He also acknowledged that the brace on his left thumb is for support because a ligament was torn in the Steelers' Oct. 26 loss to the New York Giants.

"The doctor told me I'll probably wear this brace for eight weeks, practically till the end of the season. It feels better, but you have to keep it on to keep your thumb from bending all the way back."

Byron Leftwich replaced Roethlisberger to start the second half Monday night and completed 7 of 10 passes for 129 yards, one touchdown and a 145.8 passer rating. Roethlisberger was asked yesterday if it would not be wise to sit out this week, including the game against Indianapolis, to give his sore right shoulder a rest.

"You all want me to take a week off, don't you?" he said. "It seems like everyone's saying that to me. We took a week off for the bye week, and it still didn't get to 100 percent, so I don't think it would help. It's that time of year, we're halfway, it's the stretch for me, and it's time to start playing better for me."

Roethlisberger has followed his best statistical season with one that cannot match it through the first half. He has 10 touchdown passes, eight interceptions, a record pace of 26 sacks, the lowest completion percent at 57.6 of his career and a 79.6 passer rating. He set the Steelers' record last season when he posted a 104.1 rating.

Tomlin said if Roethlisberger promised to play better in the second half of the season, he's all for it.

"Ben has his opinion, and, if it is about helping us win and be better, then I concur," Tomlin said.

Roethlisberger's sore right shoulder could have something to do with his performance in the first half of the season. It was injured when Houston's Mario Williams stripped him of the ball in the opener. While he has not missed a game, he did not practice all week leading to the Steelers' 26-21 victory in Jacksonville Oct. 5, and Tomlin said a similar scenario could develop this week.

"Ideally, you do not like to do that, but we have done that this year," Tomlin said. "We may be in that situation again, but we will cross that bridge when we come to it. Right now, I am just interested and excited to see what he potentially looks like in the morning, and then go from there. I am always going to be optimistic."

Leftwich won two of his five starts against Indianapolis during his time as Jacksonville's starting quarterback. He threw seven touchdowns and one interception in his six appearances against the Colts and posted a 98.69 passer rating.

The two quarterbacks have decidedly different styles, and receiver Santonio Holmes outlined them:

"One throws a lot harder [Leftwich] than the other. One [Roethlisberger] wants to be more precise, one puts the ball on the line."

Holmes said it took a little time to adjust to Leftwich's fastball because he does not work with him much in practice.

"You want to be able to catch those kinds of balls," said Holmes, who caught one in Washington for a touchdown. "It gives you a better opportunity to make plays after the catch."

randy06
11-06-2008, 02:20 AM
Interesting, i hope Toml;in did send a message although Ben is hurt he needs a wake up call.

Galax Steeler
11-06-2008, 04:48 AM
Hopefully this will get Ben back to playing some good football he is not the same Ben we are used to seeing but it sounds like he is ready to get back to his old ways.

DACEB
11-06-2008, 06:39 AM
I'm sure Tomlin pointed out that Ben just needs to trust his instincts, trust his WRs and hit the darn checkdown before everything goes to hell.

MasterOfPuppets
11-06-2008, 07:44 AM
An MRI Tuesday showed that his right shoulder, slightly separated in the season opener and re-injured Monday in Washington, essentially remained in the same condition as it has been. ok ......correct me if i'm wrong......but didn't Ben play some pretty damn good football in the weeks FOLLOWING the initial injury ???. so unless resting it during the bye week, was a set back, i don't see how the shoulder can have much to do with his play. the actual THROWING of the ball isn't the problem i see, its the NOT throwing the ball, and bad descisions or lack of being able to make a quick descision , is the problem. lefty came in with the same Oline, against the same D, and found success. why??? because he threw the freakin ball to the guy that was open, instead of waiting for the guy 50 yds down the field to get open .

MasterOfPuppets
11-06-2008, 07:47 AM
I'm sure Tomlin pointed out that Ben just needs to trust his instincts, trust his WRs and hit the darn checkdown before everything goes to hell.
oh , you mean the things leftwich did ??? and the things ben WAS doing before the bye week ???

DACEB
11-06-2008, 07:56 AM
oh , you mean the things leftwich did ??? and the things ben WAS doing before the bye week ???

It seems like he's always had a problem with the checkdown.

SCSTILLER
11-06-2008, 08:06 AM

I've noticed that also. In the Redskins game there were times I saw Parker or Moore slip out into the flats, never saw a LB go cover them, and Ben never even looked over there. He would look downfield the whole time, for a little too long, and then get sacked, rushed, hit, force a pass, etc. Take what is there!

MasterOfPuppets
11-06-2008, 08:08 AM
then the qb coach isn't doing his job !!! maybe try hipnosis.....hit the checkdown....hit the checkdown.....hit the.....:laughing:

rbryan
11-06-2008, 08:21 AM
Thats Bens secret weapon this year. He's going to wait for the playoff run to start hitting the checkdown.

Teams are going to be so surprised they're not going to know what hit them.....lol

MACH1
11-06-2008, 08:43 AM
then the qb coach isn't doing his job !!! maybe try hipnosis.....hit the checkdown....hit the checkdown.....hit the.....:laughing:

Could also try the Jedi Mind trick. :sofunny:

stillers4me
11-06-2008, 08:49 AM
I think watching Byron take "his" team and making it click was a humbling experience for Ben. He knows he's "the guy", but "the guy" needs to focus. And yes, he's played some damn good football this year, even with the injured shoulder. But, Ben, there's only so much it can take and it's showed the last two games.

I think he hears the media calling him a baby when he dared to talk about injuries in the past and now he feels like he has to suck it up and play through all the pain. YOu know what he's like.....he feels like he has to do it all.

Give it a rest, son. I love your spirit but you are only human.

TailgateMel
11-06-2008, 09:18 AM
Leftwich won two of his five starts against Indianapolis during his time as Jacksonville's starting quarterback. He threw seven touchdowns and one interception in his six appearances against the Colts and posted a 98.69 passer rating.

I like this stat.. even if it isn't a winning %... that is a good showing vs. the Colts.

stillers4me
11-06-2008, 09:22 AM
I like this stat.. even if it isn't a winning %... that is a good showing vs. the Colts.

He has a better team around him this time. I think he'd do fine. I always would rather see Ben out there, but we signed one the best backup we could find for just this situation. Use him and let Ben rest.

I can't wait to see our D manhandle Manning. (again :chuckle:)

HometownGal
11-06-2008, 09:39 AM
I've noticed that also. In the Redskins game there were times I saw Parker or Moore slip out into the flats, never saw a LB go cover them, and Ben never even looked over there. He would look downfield the whole time, for a little too long, and then get sacked, rushed, hit, force a pass, etc. Take what is there!

AMEN! :thumbsup:

If Ben isn't close to being at least being 90%, he needs to step back a little and allow Lefty the chance to get the job done while he gets himself more closely up to par. No doubt his shoulder and thumb injuries have played a part in his less than stellar play as of late, but sometimes I think he allows his ego and his desire to win get in the way of common sense.

Ben seems to have a great rapport with Tomlin, Arians and Kenny Anderson and nothing but good can come out of those positive relationships. If it takes Tomlin sitting him down and putting all of the cards on the table, I believe it can and will ultimately make a huge difference.

atlsteelers
11-06-2008, 09:48 AM
Maybe after watching byron play a good second half - ben did a little reflecting on his play - its a very natural thing to do and after seeing it done - he probaly was like why in the heck i am not playing like that. big ben will be fine - he is a great qb.

Steeldude
11-06-2008, 09:49 AM
maybe they have told BR he is not allowed to call anymore plays. perhaps they are going to simplify the offense to help him. in other words, back to the basics.

memphissteelergirl
11-06-2008, 09:56 AM
I think watching Byron take "his" team and making it click was a humbling experience for Ben. He knows he's "the guy", but "the guy" needs to focus. And yes, he's played some damn good football this year, even with the injured shoulder. But, Ben, there's only so much it can take and it's showed the last two games.

I think he hears the media calling him a baby when he dared to talk about injuries in the past and now he feels like he has to suck it up and play through all the pain. YOu know what he's like.....he feels like he has to do it all.

Give it a rest, son. I love your spirit but you are only human.

:thumbsup: :iagree:

It's not a sign of weakness to say "I'm not 100%...I gotta step back until I can be at 100%." If anything, that's wisdom. I love Ben like crazy, but there are times when being wise seems to elude him.
I say let him sit out against Indy until he's at full strength. JMHO.

X-Terminator
11-06-2008, 10:27 AM
maybe they have told BR he is not allowed to call anymore plays. perhaps they are going to simplify the offense to help him. in other words, back to the basics.

Ben calls all of the plays in the no-huddle offense, which happens to be when he has been at his most effective this season. So its not like he's clueless out there when it comes to calling plays.

stillers4me
11-06-2008, 10:28 AM
Ben calls all of the plays in the no-huddle offense, which happens to be when he has been at his most effective this season. So its not like he's clueless out there when it comes to calling plays.

Exactly.

Ben didn't have the advantage of watching a vetern QB for a year or two before he made his debut.

Now is his chance.

lilyoder6
11-06-2008, 10:30 AM
maybe thats what tomlin talked to him about.. his check-downs.. it's not like u have to hit the home-run evry-time... hopefully ben takes this meeting to heart like he said and playes terrific the 2nd half of the season

scsteeler
11-06-2008, 12:55 PM

Well said!!!!!!!!

Dino 6 Rings
11-06-2008, 01:17 PM
yeah, and probably a few "Ben, its 3rd and 2 and there are 12 yards between you and the nearest linebacker, don't hesitate, run and slide for the 1st down instead of holding onto the ball and taking a sack.

TailgateMel
11-06-2008, 02:11 PM
FYI.. this was all over the local 12:00 noon news today...

Mel

Steelman16
11-06-2008, 03:53 PM
Hopefully Tomlin screwed his head on a little straighter. Nothing against Ben, but he did seem like he was losing focus the past 2 weeks or so. Nothing like watching the backup QB go at it and do a heck of a lot better than you.

Maybe this is the turning point in the offense. I've been waiting for it all year.

DACEB
11-07-2008, 08:08 AM
Maybe this is the turning point in the offense. I've been waiting for it all year.

Good point. Bens struggles, the injuries might be a blessing in disguise if all can get healthy (mentally & physically) late and start playing their best ball late in the season.