PDA

View Full Version : John Clayton on Arians getting fired.

mesaSteeler
11-06-2008, 07:13 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?id=3684325
John Clayton's mailbag

Q: Given the problems that the Steelers offense has had versus an all-out blitz (Philly, the fourth quarter against the Giants), does [offensive coordinator] Bruce Arians get replaced at the end of this season? Despite the O-line issues and Ben holding the ball too long, the play calling has been sporadic at best; a lack of commitment to the run, receivers running deep routes against the blitz, and a dearth of screen plays have all hurt the offense this year when opponents' defenses get aggressive. The offense has regressed year over year, and the problems seem to go beyond the players.

From Tom in Pittsburgh

A: Tom, I honestly do think the offensive scheme will be under review after the season, but I don't see a coordinator change. The Steelers have had a monstrous schedule. Some of the play calling has been spotty, but I think Ben Roethlisberger believes in Bruce Arians and, because of that, I don't see a change. You knew going into the season that the Steelers were going to struggle at times playing a .598 schedule, one of the toughest in 25 years. They've done it with their weakest offensive line in more than six or seven years. The changes will be more along the offensive line than the play calling.

Hapa
11-06-2008, 07:57 AM
You got me excited! I thought he actually got fired!

DACEB
11-06-2008, 07:59 AM
Then get him upstairs in the booth. I brought this up at the beginning of the year. Arians needs to see the field and the entire defense from up top, maybe then he can adjust better to what the D is doing.

SCSTILLER
11-06-2008, 08:08 AM
Arians needs to do something! Our play calling is spotty at best.

stillers4me
11-06-2008, 08:32 AM
Then get him upstairs in the booth. I brought this up at the beginning of the year. Arians needs to see the field and the entire defense from up top, maybe then he can adjust better to what the D is doing.

I think that's a great idea and at least worth a shot. If no coaching change is going to made......something else needs to change. Our schedule looks much easier next year, but what's the excuse going to be when we still have the same problem and Ben is still getting knocked around and we can't move the ball? :noidea:

If Ben is going to end up sitting a game or two, what about putting him up there for at least part of the game so he can see the field from that angle? Let him have the chance to analyze the whole situation without the pressure of actually playing the game.

Better yet, put them both up there for the Colts game and let them brainstorm together. They can use his downtime to actually make him a better player and the Steelers offense better as a whole.

We have nothing to lose and everthing to gain by at least tweaking our current system. :drink:

Steelers & I
11-06-2008, 09:20 AM
I don't know??? John Clayton's information is typically pretty reliable although this is merely his opinion, not fact based. I would like to see Arians released myself but it's not my decision to make. Either or, offensive changes are definitely on the way next off-season.

Galax Steeler
11-06-2008, 03:46 PM
Something definetly needs to be done if our offense keeps playing like this then it will come back and bite us in the playoffs.

Steelman16
11-06-2008, 04:01 PM
I only saw two words of the topic title. Arians, fired. :chuckle:

Darn.

I agree with you Stillers, both Arians and Ben disecting the offense while Lefty's running it would probably give both of them a much stronger grasp on how to better run the O on a consistent basis.

STEELtownHAVOX
11-06-2008, 04:04 PM

getting him upstairs is a good idea. I'd like to see that and see how he likes it.

SaskSteeler
11-06-2008, 04:38 PM
maybe we should just bring back russ grimm instead

devilsdancefloor
11-06-2008, 05:16 PM
i doubt russ grimm would ever come back he has a chip on his shoulder i would imagine. yes yes get BA in a booth that might help alot! :tt02::tt02:

ShutDown24
11-06-2008, 05:22 PM

Me too, I was literally like flipping out lol. I'm on the phone with my girlfriend and we're talking about something then I see the topic title and I'm like... "ARIANS GOT FIRED!!!!??? YES!!!!"

Then I saw what it really was about :(

vader29
11-06-2008, 06:20 PM
Me too, I was literally like flipping out lol. I'm on the phone with my girlfriend and we're talking about something then I see the topic title and I'm like... "ARIANS GOT FIRED!!!!??? YES!!!!"

Then I saw what it really was about :(

LOL, Got me too! I check the postgazette web site headlines when I get home from work and come here to read up on Steeler news and saw this misleading thread. :sofunny:

randy06
11-06-2008, 06:23 PM
Damn, i was happy for a second literally

MDSteel15
11-06-2008, 08:03 PM
This thread had a lot of people excited, if only for a milli-second.... Kind of like the Clowns fans every year!!! :rofl:

mesaSteeler
11-06-2008, 08:13 PM
Sorry folks

I did not mean to get everyone all excited.

Preacher
11-06-2008, 09:04 PM

Why, the mess on the O line is Russ Grimm's mess.

pittsburghp8baller
11-06-2008, 09:05 PM

Same thing i thought when i saw it, i even brought up the Steelers website to see if it was true, but i read the post before the page got loaded

RoethlisBURGHer
11-06-2008, 10:02 PM

Why? The line started playing like shit with him here. He won't make bad players play better.

Also, there's no bringing him back if he could make this line play better. He asked for his release because neither him nor Whisenhut got the Steelers job.

As for the topic, there's a chance he'll get fired at the end of the season. But it's not Arian's fault that the offensive line sucks and that Ben holds onto the ball to long. Ben threw a career high in TD's under Arian's offense and a career low in INT's under the same offense last season.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-06-2008, 11:48 PM
Why, the mess on the O line is Russ Grimm's mess.

Not entirely true.

Grimm had Smith, Faneca, Hartings, Simmons, Starks back in 2006 when they gave up 49 sacks. We only have 3 of those 5 on the roster currently. :wink:

MasterOfPuppets
11-07-2008, 12:08 AM
Was grimm in charge of making player personel descisions ? ever heard the old saying, "your only as good as the tools you have to work with" ?

SteelFist
11-07-2008, 12:25 AM
There were many times when I felt that we should have ran the ball. If this continues, it wont be just Arians fault. Tomlin will have to take some of the blame for not doing something about it.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-07-2008, 01:41 AM
Was grimm in charge of making player personel descisions ? ever heard the old saying, "your only as good as the tools you have to work with" ?

Ever hear about Paul "Bear" Bryant? Bum Philips said " He could take his guys and beat yours.......then take yours and beat his". Its why OLD SAYINGS are pointless in settling a debate.

IMO, Grimm gets too much praise for being the coach of an O line that consisted of 3 first round picks (Faneca, Hartings, Simmons) a high 2nd round pick (Smith) and a 3rd rounder in Starks. Grimm is a hall of famer and a good coach, but his lack of attention to detail limited him to where there are at least 10-15 coaches who are probably better than him.

As for Arians, I have said it before. I dont like his system, but think he is a good coach......just not a guy that fits in Pittsburgh. I mean, on a 3rd and 2 he goes shotgun, fake end around to Washinton and throw to Moore in the flat for a loss??? McHugh and Parker in the I and RUN IT.......Man's game.

OneForTheToe
11-07-2008, 02:22 AM
What's Ray Sherman doing now?:tomato:

Preacher
11-07-2008, 02:30 AM
Not entirely true.

Grimm had Smith, Faneca, Hartings, Simmons, Starks back in 2006 when they gave up 49 sacks. We only have 3 of those 5 on the roster currently. :wink:

True... however, Hartings was a known issue with his knees, and the backup couldn't hack it. So actually, Grimm had done a bad job preparing someone.

i can't say the same about Faneca. I think Kemo will be VERY solid in that position.