PDA

View Full Version : A new start for you...

Polamalu Princess
11-06-2008, 09:19 PM
A fresh start!

As many of you know, I am really tired of all of the political threads here on SF and just want the board back to the way it was before this tumultuous election. So, leave the opinions out of this and tell us what “fresh start” you are going to do with your life this coming year. January will bring many changes to the government that we may not be able to control, but what can you control in your life the first of the year to make things better for you and give you a fresh start?

xfl2001fan
11-06-2008, 09:24 PM
I'm in the military...nothings changed for me...and it won't likely change anytime soon. LOL

All in all, I believe I've stated my piece and (for the most part) have been very respectful about it.

With all that being said, Great thread hun!

TheWarDen86
11-06-2008, 09:28 PM
I'd like to get back in shape/start running again. I just don't see me having the time (40 hrs work/10 hrs of commuting and class 3 days per week). I'll probabkly just continue trying to get my degree.

You?

X-Terminator
11-06-2008, 09:32 PM
Try to be a little less confrontational, both here and in RL. Due to personal goings-on in my life that I will not share, I've become a little bit more edgy and abrasive, and that just isn't my nature. It's carried over to the board, and I shouldn't let that happen. I'll always speak my mind - that will not change - but I'll try to temper my attitude a bit.

Polamalu Princess
11-06-2008, 10:12 PM
I'm in the military...nothings changed for me...and it won't likely change anytime soon. LOL

All in all, I believe I've stated my piece and (for the most part) have been very respectful about it.

With all that being said, Great thread hun!

You are a grand soul and thank you for your service. :hatsoff:

Polamalu Princess
11-06-2008, 10:23 PM
I'd like to get back in shape/start running again. I just don't see me having the time (40 hrs work/10 hrs of commuting and class 3 days per week). I'll probabkly just continue trying to get my degree.

You?

You can do it! Me too! A new start - okay?

I am with you about getting back into shape again. I have little time as well, as I seem to be doing everything, but that!! My DH has been great with working, his diet, his motivation with working out every single day and I need to get his motivation into my soul!!! I struggle just to keep up with him these days!

We can do it!:applaudit:

Polamalu Princess
11-06-2008, 10:45 PM
Try to be a little less confrontational, both here and in RL. Due to personal goings-on in my life that I will not share, I've become a little bit more edgy and abrasive, and that just isn't my nature. It's carried over to the board, and I shouldn't let that happen. I'll always speak my mind - that will not change - but I'll try to temper my attitude a bit.
Always speak your mind my friend! I will pray for you and your personal situation.:hug:

devilsdancefloor
11-06-2008, 10:53 PM
I am loking forward to relaxing winter time is usually our slow period at work no more 6 days 70+ hours a week. So this is the time i really get to hang out with my 4 kids. Im looking forward to a great 2nd half from my steelers & watching hockey with my boys. On a side note XFL i just want to thank you for your duty to our country! It means alot to me. I got to see the world (literally) during my years in the army from iraq,bosnia,somolia and a few other armpits erm i mean places in the world :chuckle:! so thank you :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :salute: :salute:

xfl2001fan
11-07-2008, 04:38 AM
On a side note XFL i just want to thank you for your duty to our country! It means alot to me. I got to see the world (literally) during my years in the army from iraq,bosnia,somolia and a few other armpits erm i mean places in the world :chuckle:! so thank you :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :salute: :salute:

It truly is an honor to serve this great nation. If you wanted to see good countries, you should have joined the Navy. Did 4 years there as an East Coaster...and have been to:

Spain, France, Italy, Puerto Rico, Croatia, Malta, Tunisia, Greece.

Then with the Army I managed: Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Scotland, Crete, Kuwait.

It's been a fairly decent ride so far.

For those of you wanting to get in shape..."round" is a shape! :applaudit:

Seriously though, I can give you a few tips/websites that will help you out...depending on what route you're wanting to go.

Vis
11-07-2008, 04:41 AM
A nice girl. Any candidates?

stillers4me
11-07-2008, 04:57 AM
I got a speeding ticket yesterday.

I guess I need to slow down! :noidea:

stlrtruck
11-07-2008, 07:24 AM
Building a better relationship with Jesus Christ, my wife, my children, and my co-workers

SCSTILLER
11-07-2008, 08:08 AM
Looking forward to taking the "next step" with my girlfriend. Still planning the way I want to give her the ring. Any ideas?

Plus, want to run a triathalon in the spring! Yeah, we will see how that goes.

SCSTILLER
11-07-2008, 08:10 AM
I'm in the military...nothings changed for me...and it won't likely change anytime soon. LOL !

Good Lord I know the feeling XFL! It is always groundhog day in the good old USAF!

stlrtruck
11-07-2008, 12:11 PM
Looking forward to taking the "next step" with my girlfriend. Still planning the way I want to give her the ring. Any ideas?

I took my wife to the beach and put rose petals in the sand, leading her the way to where I was kneeling in the sand with ring in hand.

SCSTILLER
11-07-2008, 12:28 PM
I took my wife to the beach and put rose petals in the sand, leading her the way to where I was kneeling in the sand with ring in hand.

That's good! I am close to the beach! My luck she would bring the dog and he would ruin it as he barrells into me in his "theres dad" excitement. Might have to think about this one.

Polamalu Princess
11-07-2008, 09:41 PM
I am trying to learn to cook for the first time in my life. This year one of my goals is to make healthy meals – any recipes you would like to share would be great!

What can we all do here on SF to help you reach YOUR goals?

Polamalu Princess
11-07-2008, 09:46 PM
Building a better relationship with Jesus Christ, my wife, my children, and my co-workers

AMEN!! You nailed it my friend - I agree tenfold. What a great plan for you and for me!:hatsoff:

GutterflowerSteel
11-07-2008, 09:54 PM
I am trying to learn to cook for the first time in my life. This year one of my goals is to make healthy meals – any recipes you would like to share would be great!

What can we all do here on SF to help you reach YOUR goals?

Let the crockpot be your friend :thumbsup:

http://www.crockpotrecipes.com/

Polamalu Princess
11-07-2008, 09:58 PM
Let the crockpot be your friend :thumbsup:

http://www.crockpotrecipes.com/

Thank you!!!

tony hipchest
11-07-2008, 10:19 PM
great advice. i made two crock pot meals this week. (though not healthy)

pinto beans-

1 bag o beans
half a pkg of bacon (or full- i like mine meaty)
one med onion (or large- makes it sweeter)
2-3 sections of garlic
2-3 bay leaves
pepper ( i got a few jalapeno plants so i just use 1 of those instead).
salt

also good with salt pork, leftover ham on the bone, a hamsteak etc...)

roast beef dinner-

beef
potatoes cut up
carrots
pepper
1 cup of kik o man (or more)
3-4 (or more) bay leaves
garlic (to taste)
little bit of onion never hurts

quick, good, easy, cheap, and done when you get home from work :danceshout:

SteelCityMan786
11-07-2008, 10:50 PM
A fresh start!

As many of you know, I am really tired of all of the political threads here on SF and just want the board back to the way it was before this tumultuous election. So, leave the opinions out of this and tell us what “fresh start” you are going to do with your life this coming year. January will bring many changes to the government that we may not be able to control, but what can you control in your life the first of the year to make things better for you and give you a fresh start?

Be willing to carry on the responsibility of driving myself around since I will be 18 next year by getting in the practice and getting my license. Not to mention register to vote.

steelergirl07
11-08-2008, 12:38 AM
Of course get into shape. I want to get a bike and start riding around. I can't seem to keep up with just working out at a gym. I guess I need new scenery every once and a while.

I also want to start college. 21 isn't too late, right? LOL.

stillers4me
11-08-2008, 07:09 AM
Alot of people are talking about getting into shape. Bravo!

I worked really hard this year and made good progress. My goal is to make it through the holidays without gaining it back......and still fit into those jeans I bought last weekend come January 1.

GBMelBlount
11-08-2008, 07:20 AM

Good luck SC! Keep us posted, OK?

SCSTILLER

I'm actually thinking about running a 10k this spring. I never did track or anything but did a 36:36 in the one 10k I ran in with my friend in high school. I wonder what a good time would be for an old, fat, hobbled man. Perhaps I should set my goal at simply finishing. lol

GBMelBlount
11-08-2008, 07:23 AM
Alot of people are talking about getting into shape. Bravo!

I worked really hard this year and made good progress. My goal is to make it through the holidays without gaining it back......and still fit into those jeans I bought last weekend come January 1.
Me too! Not the jeans part, the working out part. lol. I lost about 25 pounds of fat and put on about 10-15 pounds of muscle this year and hope to lose the last 10 or so by spring.....

Obama being elected should help with the weight loss as due to the tax increase we won't be able to afford food anymore, unless we stop working of course. :chuckle:

GutterflowerSteel
11-08-2008, 07:41 AM
great advice

roast beef dinner-

beef
potatoes cut up
carrots
pepper
3-4 (or more) bay leaves
garlic (to taste)

I've never added kik o man - I make rice to go with it instead. To the above I also like to add a can of cream of mushroom soup and maybe an envelope of Lipton's onion soup mix - sometimes a drained can of mushrooms if I'm in the mood :thumbsup:

If you use a lean cut of beef like top or bottom round roast, it's lower in fat and the crockpot makes it really tender. I like coming home and having dinner all ready, too. Whoever invented the crockpot deserves to have their face on a coin ... along with whoever invented air conditioning! lol

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-08-2008, 09:24 AM

Do you have any minor league teams around you?....baseball?...hockey?...etc.

If so...contact their P.R. department.....see about "setting her up"....where her seat "wins" the opportunity to go out on the field..rink...etc.

As she is out there doing some stunt...you run down to the tunnel and wait.... when they tell her that she has won a prize....you then step out ....with her parents (your parents/significant friends/relatives) behind you...and take a knee in front of the crowd as you present the ring.

Polamalu Princess
11-08-2008, 10:24 AM
great advice. i made two crock pot meals this week. (though not healthy)

pinto beans-

1 bag o beans
half a pkg of bacon (or full- i like mine meaty)
one med onion (or large- makes it sweeter)
2-3 sections of garlic
2-3 bay leaves
pepper ( i got a few jalapeno plants so i just use 1 of those instead).
salt

also good with salt pork, leftover ham on the bone, a hamsteak etc...)

roast beef dinner-

beef
potatoes cut up
carrots
pepper
3-4 (or more) bay leaves
garlic (to taste)

That sounds great - especially with ALL the bacon - thank you!

Leftoverhard
11-08-2008, 11:51 AM
Well, after reading this thread, I guess I need on of those crock pot thingies. You just turn it on and and it makes it for you? I like to eat pretty healthy so I don't eat microwave junk but I work late and want something hot and homey. I think this thing was invented for people like me.

Oh, to the guy who wants to propose to his girlfriend - I did this thing once for Valentines day for my girl, made a huge (like 4 feet around) heart shaped pinata, painted it high gloss pink with white and red hearts all over it and stuffed it with a bunch of little packages with lingerie, those little plastic things you get out of 50 cent machines filled with little love notes and jewelry and a bunch of good chocolates. I made sure everything was either pink or red or at least wrapped in pink and then I got a bottle of pink champagne, a bunch of pink and red flowers and surprised her when she came over, it was all so pink it was totally disgusting but so over the top it was perfect. I'll just say it was a huge success - probably the most succesful romantic ideas i've ever had. This would be a perfect opportunity to put the ring in one of those little plastic things. Making a pinata is really easy by the way. And I don't know about your girlfriend but mine would never talk to me again if I proposed to her at a sports game (no offense LLT, it's a fine idea for the right girl).

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-08-2008, 11:59 AM
Well, after reading this thread, I guess I need on of those crock pot thingies. You just turn it on and and it makes it for you? I like to eat pretty healthy so I don't eat microwave junk but I work late and want something hot and homey. I think this thing was invented for people like me.

Oh, to the guy who wants to propose to his girlfriend - I did this thing once for Valentines day for my girl, made a huge (like 4 feet around) heart shaped pinata, painted it high gloss pink with white and red hearts all over it and stuffed it with a bunch of little packages with lingerie, those little plastic things you get out of 50 cent machines filled with little love notes and jewelry and a bunch of good chocolates. I made sure everything was either pink or red or at least wrapped in pink and then I got a bottle of pink champagne, a bunch of pink and red flowers and surprised her when she came over, it was all so pink it was totally disgusting but so over the top it was perfect. I'll just say it was a huge success - probably the most succesful romantic ideas i've ever had. This would be a perfect opportunity to put the ring in one of those little plastic things. Making a pinata is really easy by the way. And I don't know about your girlfriend but mine would never talk to me again if I proposed to her at a sports game (no offense LLT, it's a fine idea for the right girl).

No offense taken....your right, if she hates sports....getting her there would be bad enough anyway.

Leftoverhard
11-08-2008, 12:12 PM
No offense taken....your right, if she hates sports....getting her there would be bad enough anyway.

Dude, you have no idea, my girl is the opposite of a sports fan - she has good reasons. Her dad was a Browns fan and watched every Sunday and she wasn't allowed to make any noise at all on Sundays (religious reasons) but somehow it was ok for him to watch the games...lame. Lol, the fact that she tolerates me is plenty - I'll take it.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-08-2008, 12:14 PM
Found this one also..and loved it....

Make an excuse for a barbecue or get together with family and friends and have random people each wear a letter of the sentence "Will you marry me?" She will be asking around why they are wearing these shirts and play it off until all the "letters" have arrived. Then ask them for a group picture and have her take it. She will see them all line up to spell out the words "Will you marry me?"
:thumbsup:

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-08-2008, 12:16 PM
Dude, you have no idea, my girl is the opposite of a sports fan - she has good reasons. Her dad was a Browns fan and watched every Sunday and she wasn't allowed to make any noise at all on Sundays (religious reasons) but somehow it was ok for him to watch the games...lame. Lol, the fact that she tolerates me is plenty - I'll take it.

That sucks....If the family couldnt make noise....how did he watch the game? Very cool that she tolerates your Steelers games though....she gets a thumbs up for overcoming a painful experience.

GutterflowerSteel
11-08-2008, 12:58 PM

I love using my crockpot. You can even make chocolate cake in it - I need to dig that recipe out. Yep, all you do is throw the ingredients in the night before and turn it on in the morning and let it cook all day. You can buy a crockpot at WalMart for around $30.

MasterOfPuppets
11-08-2008, 03:28 PM
Oh, to the guy who wants to propose to his girlfriend - I did this thing once for Valentines day for my girl, made a huge (like 4 feet around) heart shaped pinata, painted it high gloss pink with white and red hearts all over it and stuffed it with a bunch of little packages with lingerie, those little plastic things you get out of 50 cent machines filled with little love notes and jewelry and a bunch of good chocolates.. they're not plastic !!! they're made out of latex. and they're 75 cents now ....:popcorn:

MACH1
11-08-2008, 03:58 PM
they're not plastic !!! they're made out of latex. and they're 75 cents now ....:popcorn:

:toofunny:

Polamalu Princess
11-08-2008, 04:05 PM
You could make dinner for her and make a desert and put the ring in there. Candles...ambient lighting...Now that would be very special and very romantic!!!

MasterOfPuppets
11-08-2008, 05:46 PM
tape the ring to your nuts....if it takes her more then the time between showers to find it....get your money back !!! :chuckle:

beSteelmyheart
11-08-2008, 05:49 PM
Even though we are looking to buy a house which will no doubt be a fixer upper in the future, I need to get back into my art. It can be time consuming & sometimes hard to work into my daily life of errands & house cleaning & stuff, but it's been ages since I've put pencil to paper & I miss it.

Polamalu Princess
11-08-2008, 05:54 PM
Of course get into shape. I want to get a bike and start riding around. I can't seem to keep up with just working out at a gym. I guess I need new scenery every once and a while.

I also want to start college. 21 isn't too late, right? LOL.

Nope 21 is not too late - good for you!:hatsoff: