PDA

View Full Version : Woodley Fined

SCSTILLER
11-07-2008, 03:15 PM
http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2008/11/07/sports/doc491490882c69c911199316.txt

Looks like Woodley got fined for the sack on Campbell. Anyone really surprised?:mad:

fansince'76
11-07-2008, 03:16 PM
Not surprised in the least. Wonder how much Farrior will get tagged for. :coffee:

SCSTILLER
11-07-2008, 03:18 PM
Forgot about the Farrior hit, considering the way that clown of a commissioner fines players, I can bet it will probably be equal to if not more than Woodley's.

NJarhead
11-07-2008, 03:20 PM
This BS is getting waaaaaay out of hand. :mad: :banging:

Edman
11-07-2008, 03:22 PM
The sad part about this is that it doesn't surprise me anymore. And even when Woodley got a hold of Campbell, the whistle wasn't blown. So that "in the grasp" rule is more bullshit. Goodeal is a piece of shit. No fine or penalty for this, though.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=68&f=1897&t=3341368

I reiterate, Goodeal is a piece of shit. I hope the Steelers play even harder just to give big F U to the league office. Polamalu's and Mark Schlereth's fears are further proven to be correct. Flipping hypocritical pansies' league.

Pentheon
11-07-2008, 03:35 PM
the hell do they want him to do? seemed more like momentum as he was grabbin em n goin down..

he coulda done it alot harder than that if he wanted.

TP is right about the league now.

ChronoCross
11-07-2008, 03:47 PM
Looks like Goodell has a beef with the steelers this year.. What are they trying to do slow down are sack attack by making players think before they hit are sack.. this is crap.

memphissteelergirl
11-07-2008, 03:49 PM
Roger "Dumbass" Goddell strikes again....:mad:

JackHammer
11-07-2008, 03:57 PM
We need to start spamming the commishes email with our concerns that the NFL is turning into a flag football league.

KeiselPower99
11-07-2008, 03:59 PM
He fined Justin Tuck for his clean sack on the Cowboys too. This is really getting stupid. All the fundementals of football seem to be going out the windown once ya get the the show anymore. If this keeps up kids will be playing soccer to keep from being fined for everything.

steelreserve
11-07-2008, 04:31 PM
Shameful. That was a standard tackle.

Enough of these half-measures. Goodell needs to just go all the way and change the rules so that instead of actually tackling the quarterback, defenders are required to approach him slowly so as not to scare him, and ask if he would mind taking a knee or stepping out of bounds. And politely, or else you know that's a fine.

Dino 6 Rings
11-07-2008, 04:44 PM
Good...piss us off even more

I love it. Feed our Anger, Fuel our Rage!

What does not kill us, makes us stronger.

MACH1
11-07-2008, 04:48 PM
What a bunch of horse sh!t. Goodell has to go!

Dino 6 Rings
11-07-2008, 04:49 PM
sure does stink to be a Colt this weekend. Last time we got fined, some fool got his jaw broken the next game.

klick81
11-07-2008, 05:02 PM
No surprises here. When is this douche gonna be ousted?

GBMelBlount
11-07-2008, 05:03 PM
He fined Justin Tuck for his clean sack on the Cowboys too. This is really getting stupid. All the fundementals of football seem to be going out the windown once ya get the the show anymore. If this keeps up kids will be playing soccer to keep from being fined for everything.

Hey, easy now! As an all-county center forward in high school I can attest that soccer is physical too! I remember one time a defender stepped on my hangnail and I played right through the pain! :chuckle:

Hapa
11-07-2008, 05:09 PM
Wow it's frickin' football. You're supposed to tackle people!

I hate how QBs get special treatment. It's ridiculous to me. Some of the things I can understand, like purposely going for his knees, because that can knock someone out for the season. But throwing him down? That's what you're supposed to do and taught to do all your life!

RoethlisBURGHer
11-07-2008, 05:12 PM
A tackle is taking someone TO THE GROUND.

This is complete bullshit, when is Dan Rooney going to step up for his players and stop backing this asshat Roger Goodell?

The Duke
11-07-2008, 05:19 PM
Have any of the hits on our QB been fined?

I don't think so. this is a little suspicious....

Goodell has to go already. Dan rooney should definitely get behind this

PisnNapalm
11-07-2008, 05:19 PM
Ben can be drilled into the ground but when the Steelers hit another QB or Hines takes out a DB on a legal block they get fined. What BS.

Dino 6 Rings
11-07-2008, 05:22 PM
People...relax...

Let Them Fine Us.

We are just going to HIT THEM HARDER!

HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO!

jjpro11
11-07-2008, 05:40 PM
This if profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfiltering bullshit. they should fine the damn refs for missing that blatant fumble. officiating has become a downright disgrace and its ruining the game.

lilyoder6
11-07-2008, 05:44 PM
like the hit justin tuck had... this is getting out of control... roger needs to grow a pair and realize this is football

St33lersguy
11-07-2008, 05:57 PM
Get fined for what that?!?!?! :mad:

Yo Goodell, what you got to understand that this the NFL, not youth flag football played with girls as well as guys. People get hit and hit hard. He was just doing his job. That's like a carpenter getting fined for picking up a board of wood. :mad:
IT'S FOOTBALL!!!!!

vader29
11-07-2008, 06:28 PM
Maybe next year instead of having a couple of games where throwback jerseys are worn the commish will have the players wear dresses or skirts instead and play one handed tap instead of tackling and also play with a nerf football. :sissies:

What a freaking joke this is becoming every week. :banging:

RunWillieRun
11-07-2008, 06:34 PM
Goodell is such a douche bag....this league is gonna go to two hand touch under his watch.

steelreserve
11-07-2008, 06:34 PM
Maybe next year instead of having a couple of games where throwback jerseys are worn the commish will have the players wear dresses or skirts instead and play one handed tap instead of tackling and also play with a nerf football. :sissies:

What a freaking joke this is becoming every week. :banging:

Better yet, we could just make it like Cyberball 2072 and replace the players with robots. After all, they don't misbehave or tackle hard, so what could possibly be wrong with that?

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-07-2008, 06:35 PM
Hey, wasn't Ward hit hard by a Redskins DB I think it was Horton??? Where is his fine??

I need a Deacon Jones quote on the state of the NFL :smile:

Steelman16
11-07-2008, 06:37 PM
Doesn't surprise me. :coffee: Goodell is a freakin' joke.

stillers4me
11-07-2008, 06:55 PM
I read that next year, they are going to stop keeping score and they will pass out 32 Lombardi's so that nobody's feelings get hurt. :doh:

XxKnightxX
11-07-2008, 07:01 PM
This is getting out of hand ...speaking of woodley hey gusy where can i get a LaMarr Woodely Jersey?

RoethlisBURGHer
11-07-2008, 07:12 PM
They said he threw the QB down to the ground with intimidation!

Seriously, are they making this effen bullshit up on the spot?

I want the league's quarterbacks to be intimidated. Hell, I want them pissing their pants before every snap because our defense is going to bring heat.

slippy
11-07-2008, 07:25 PM
godell should fine himself for unnecessary softness. pansy!

yeah, let's extend the season by two games so more backup QBs can play because of increased injuries.

G.O.D.E.L.L. = grand old dame enjoys lickin' lollipops.

STEELAMANIA
11-07-2008, 07:30 PM
I am beginning to think that Goodell has mafia ties now because this has absolutely NOTHING to do with protecting players........it's all about the benjamins baby. cha ching!!!!!!

If the NBA had dirty refs, the NFL isn't excluded.....I smell a friggin rat.

tyler289
11-07-2008, 07:39 PM
fined for sacking the QB in an "intimdating manner"

dumbest thing ive ever heard, wow

lilyoder6
11-07-2008, 08:05 PM
it's like when the refs flagged justin tuck on his tackle.. i beleive the ref said that he used to much of his weight to tackle the qb

stillers4me
11-07-2008, 08:05 PM
Woodley's new nickname......

The Intimadator

:tt03:

steel striker
11-07-2008, 08:32 PM
Yep time to get the flags out and, then it will be two hand touch football. NFL + Goodell = not for long! So where did they find this Goodell? What a joke he is and, it does make me mad that there is never a flag for when they tackle and hit Ben late.

NV STEELERS 723
11-07-2008, 09:22 PM
Is the NFL in financial trouble? Sure seems like it? Why else would they fine players for hits like Woodley's and others? Jack Lambert and the other STEELER defensive greats could not play today's game!

NV STEELERS 723
11-07-2008, 09:24 PM
Yep time to get the flags out and, then it will be two hand touch football. NFL + Goodell = not for long! So where did they find this Goodell? What a joke he is and, it does make me mad that there is never a flag for when they tackle and hit Ben late.

LOL...Dan Rooney made this ass the Commish!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Rotorhead
11-08-2008, 01:35 AM
If you think about it, this will start hurting the league; think about those undrafted rookies that sign for min salaries. Say we sign a LB for around $260k salary and he turns out to be a monster and gets a sack everygame, well if godell fines him 10k each game, well that is over half his salary right there . . .
I understand that players should and mostly do love the sport, but they need to make money too because their careers will be short (well unless godell gets his wish for a pro flag football league). it is just BS

stillers4me
11-08-2008, 08:04 AM
Is the NFL in financial trouble? Sure seems like it? Why else would they fine players for hits like Woodley's and others? Jack Lambert and the other STEELER defensive greats could not play today's game!

I think I read that the fines go to charity and are actually tax deductable. Might be going to the retired players fund. But I'd rather be able to chose my own charity and amount of contribution. :noidea:

GBMelBlount
11-08-2008, 08:38 AM
If you think about it, this will start hurting the league; think about those undrafted rookies that sign for min salaries. Say we sign a LB for around $260k salary and he turns out to be a monster and gets a sack everygame, well if godell fines him 10k each game, well that is over half his salary right there . . .
I understand that players should and mostly do love the sport, but they need to make money too because their careers will be short (well unless godell gets his wish for a pro flag football league). it is just BS

Great point on "low income" players Rotor. :sofunny: But I honestly agree with you, plus these fines appear to be handed out so subjectively and inconsistently at times it is bothersome to say the least.

43Hitman
11-08-2008, 10:05 AM

The league rescinded the fine on Justin Tuck yesterday.

SteelersMongol
11-08-2008, 10:53 AM
This is just getting ridiculous.

Pittsky
11-08-2008, 11:15 AM
i can just see the nfl douchebags sitting in a room rewatching the entire game just looking for ANY reason to fine the steelers. makes me sick. they are trying to ruin football and change the way the steelers play but it isnt going to work. fine away profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfilterers!

Rotorhead
11-08-2008, 11:26 AM
I think the team should all start a "pay the fine" bucket, all the players put in a certain amount of money in a bucket and they can rewatch the fined plays, if they deem the fine was BS then the money comes out of a bucket lol, that would show a team answer to the BS fines.

SteelCityMan786
11-08-2008, 11:26 AM
More stuff from the

New
Fine
League

SteelerFan091472
11-08-2008, 12:05 PM
The wussification of the NFL continues.

touchdownward
11-08-2008, 12:12 PM
Not surprised, the NFL thinks QBs are china dolls (except for Ben, he gets thrown around like Raggedy Andy). :doh:

I heard Goodel went back and fined Lambert for a nasty tackle on Stabler. :wink02:

steelpride12
11-08-2008, 01:05 PM
Well we can all admit it now, the league and commissioner are all cracking down on hits and as the years progress they will get tougher and tougher on the rules and the league will become a pansy game.

Truly a poor choice from the NFLPA and something that will hurt the game dearly, but let them go out there and play football. It's a contact sport what do you expect!?

RoethlisBURGHer
11-08-2008, 05:13 PM
Well we can all admit it now, the league and commissioner are all cracking down on hits and as the years progress they will get tougher and tougher on the rules and the league will become a pansy game.

Truly a poor choice from the NFLPA and something that will hurt the game dearly, but let them go out there and play football. It's a contact sport what do you expect!?

I don't really see where this is the NFLPA's fault. If a player wants to appeal their fine, the NFLPA does so. Unfortunatly, the appeal goes right back to Roger Goodell. When the bargaining for a new CBA begins, the NFLPA needs to fight for all apeals to be held in front of an unbiased arbitrator and not the head of the league that issued the fine.

X-Terminator
11-08-2008, 07:08 PM
I hate to piss on a guy's memory, but Gene Upshaw really started all of this back in the mid 90s when...you guessed it...the Steelers' D was terrorizing the league by punishing QBs, and he worked with then-commish Tagliabue to start doing more to protect them through penalties and fines. Goodell has just taken things to the extreme, and now Woodley is being fined for "tackling the QB with intimidation" for simply making a football play and making sure the QB is taken down to the ground. It's a complete joke and is completely hypocritical. The league should be embarrassed.

kmsteelerwr15
11-08-2008, 07:25 PM
what a stupid fine but whats sad is, it doesnt surprise me one bit..but i do love that we are too rough for the league

and with Peyton coming to town it looks like the D will be playing for free

Dino 6 Rings
11-08-2008, 07:51 PM
I think this play was actually a fumble because it appeared the ball came out before Woodley Slammed that SOB into the turf.

Steelcitygal87
11-08-2008, 08:14 PM
I am not surprised. I kind of figured that was coming after I saw Tuck got fined for the hit against the Dallas qb last Sunday.

I remember , when I was watching the game and saw Woodley's hit, thinking CRAP he is going to get a penalty, but it was never called.

GO STEELERS!! :tt02:

Dawn

WWIIOwheelz
11-08-2008, 09:00 PM
I am not surprised. I kind of figured that was coming after I saw Tuck got fined for the hit against the Dallas qb last Sunday.

I remember , when I was watching the game and saw Woodley's hit, thinking CRAP he is going to get a penalty, but it was never called.

I thought the same, made at thread about it earlier this week. Such a shame, not even being able to enjoy a hard sack without knowing your player is going to be fined.

Interestingly, Tuck's fine got rescinded today.

NFL rescinds fine against Giants DE Justin Tuck

9 hours, 22 minutes ago

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP)—The NFL has rescinded a $7,500 fine against New York Giants defensive end Justin Tuck for a hit on Dallas Cowboys quarterback Brooks Bollinger last weekend.

Ray Anderson, the NFL’s vice president of operations, called Tuck on Friday night to inform him of the change, the Giants said in an e-mail on Saturday.

Tuck had insisted the hit was legal and Giants coach Tom Coughlin agreed with his player on Monday.

Tuck hit Bollinger in the midsection as the quarterback released a pass and his momentum carried both to the ground on the third-down play in the fourth quarter.

Tuck was penalized for roughing the passer. The league originally determined that Tuck had unnecessarily driven Bollinger to the ground and issued the fine on Friday.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-giants-tuck-finerescinded&prov=ap&type=lgns

Preacher
11-08-2008, 10:51 PM
I think Woodley should go for another fine this Sunday!!!

Steelman16
11-09-2008, 12:21 AM
I think Woodley should go for another fine this Sunday!!!

Dude, to see Peyton Manning get slammed by Woodley would be one of the most awesome plays of the year! :tt02:

C'mon Lamarr, yinz kin do it! :drink:

Preacher
11-09-2008, 12:52 AM
Dude, to see Peyton Manning get slammed by Woodley would be one of the most awesome plays of the year! :tt02:

C'mon Lamarr, yinz kin do it! :drink:

As long as it's legal... I got no problem with it!!!

steelreserve
11-09-2008, 01:18 AM
We just need to start putting clauses in our guys' contracts that say if they get a fine for hitting the quarterback, they get a bonus equal to double the amount of the fine.

conservativesteelers
11-09-2008, 01:35 PM
Jason Campbell actually fumbled the ball on that play, but the ref blew the whistle early.

I agree, and I have never liked Goddell from the very start. Pro Bowl in the middle of the season, 18 games, NFL going to Europe for regular season, letting the Patriots off the hook (basically lying to everyone), and this BS about protecting players when we all know it's all about the money, it always is.

The problem we have here is business men making football decisions.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
11-09-2008, 01:48 PM
Where does the money go when the players are fined ???

tyler289
11-09-2008, 03:30 PM
Where does the money go when the players are fined ???

Charity. I think the NFL has a big pool in which they put the money and give it out to charity at the end of the year or whatever.

It doens't go to Goodell or anything.

conservativesteelers
11-09-2008, 10:24 PM
Charity. I think the NFL has a big pool in which they put the money and give it out to charity at the end of the year or whatever.

It doens't go to Goodell or anything.

I would be careful about your assumptions. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if at least some of it went back into the hands of Goodell. Remember, this is the same guy who let the Patriots off the hook for cheating.

SteelCityMan786
11-09-2008, 10:49 PM
I would be careful about your assumptions. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if at least some of it went back into the hands of Goodell. Remember, this is the same guy who let the Patriots off the hook for cheating.

I think it does go to charity. But it wouldn't stun me if Goodell did that.

black_and_gold_4_ever
11-09-2008, 11:01 PM
The nfl is getting so uptight on stuff like this mean its not two hand touch if you don't wanna get hit then don't play!!!

chucoblack&gold
11-09-2008, 11:29 PM
I was at the game today and we really needed Woodley's presence. Manning didnt see as much pressure as I had anticipated.

tyler289
11-09-2008, 11:39 PM
Woodley was certainly missed. As was McFadden. Townsend took 2 costly holding penalties and almost gave up a huge TD to Harrison.

Steelman16
11-09-2008, 11:48 PM
I was at the game today and we really needed Woodley's presence. Manning didnt see as much pressure as I had anticipated.

Yeah, I think if Woodley had played we might've been able to get a little more pressure on Manning in the second half. Even when gameplanned for, Harrison is still a beast, but Wood was definitely missed.

I thought Fraizer did a pretty good job filling in though, not overly wowzers, but good enough.

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
11-10-2008, 12:00 AM
The Aussies already make fun of American Football for wearing pads and helmets, and now this? This is turning into the most wimpy professional sport. Everyone wants to protect the offense, but a chop block can easily blow out a defensive players legs.