PDA

View Full Version : Line prospects in LSU-Bama game

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-08-2008, 08:22 PM
Just finished going thru the LSU Alabama game and looking at some of the top line prospects.

Man I love Alabama LT Andre Smith's game. Big man who moves well and uses his arms with a good punch and leg drive to move defenders. Stays with rushers well and just locks down the pass rusher. Also executes a combo block well where he first hits the lineman, then scrapes to the 2nd level to get a LB. I would love if the Steelers got him.

Ciron Black the LT from LSU, seemed less impressive. Kind of an oaf that run blocks well, but doesnt have as good of feet. He seems to like cut blocking a lot when the play is away from him.....which I dont like. I mean, if you are not in the play, either block downfield on the playside or smack the guy in the face in front of you instead of diving at his feet.

Tyson Jackson the DE from LSU was disapointing to me. He stands up right off the snap and gives away leverage. He tries to slap and swim defenders, without initially jarring them with a shot to the chestplate. He looked to stand up and read-react more, than fire off the ball downhill into the OT and then shed him. Might have some measureables, but I dont like his lack of agressiveness and shying away from being physical. Would need some work and maybe an attitude adjustment to fit with the Steelers.

MasterOfPuppets
11-08-2008, 08:49 PM
now what kinda scouting report is that? get back on the coach with that remote, and get us something on......
herman johnson ....LSU G
AL Woods.................LSU NT
Antione caldwell......AL C
Terrance cody..........AL NT

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-08-2008, 11:00 PM
now what kinda scouting report is that? get back on the coach with that remote, and get us something on......
herman johnson ....LSU G
AL Woods.................LSU NT
Antione caldwell......AL C
Terrance cody..........AL NT

Sorry, I know it was shoddy coverage and really you could consider maybe 15+ players in that game today will be drafted in the next couple seasons..... but I only considered the guys that were either an OT or DE worth drafting.

I like Caldwell's play, but am still an Mack and Luigs pimp at center. Max Unger from Oregon doesnt fit with the Steelers. IMO.

Terrance Cody is a big presence, but reminds me of Finch from Wildcats. Cody makes Casey Hampton look fit and trim. I worry about guys that can eat their way out of playing the game.

MasterOfPuppets
11-08-2008, 11:49 PM
Sorry, I know it was shoddy coverage and really you could consider maybe 15+ players in that game today will be drafted in the next couple seasons..... but I only considered the guys that were either an OT or DE worth drafting.

I like Caldwell's play, but am still an Mack and Luigs pimp at center. Max Unger from Oregon doesnt fit with the Steelers. IMO.

Terrance Cody is a big presence, but reminds me of Finch from Wildcats. Cody makes Casey Hampton look fit and trim. I worry about guys that can eat their way out of playing the game.hamptons on the down side of his carrear, and seems to spend a lot of time injured the last few years, plus his contract will be up soon (2009 ?)
cody has been his size since high school. read this article, then start paying attention to him.....
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=3610296

here's a few quotes.....
"He's a beast," said Georgia coach Mark Richt, whose No. 3 Bulldogs host the No. 8 Crimson Tide at Sanford Stadium on Saturday night. "No one's blocked him. No one man has blocked him, and I haven't seen many double-teams block him, either. He's a problem, and probably the reason they are so outstanding against the rush. When you talk about guys who can push a pocket back in front of a quarterback, he can do it."

In Alabama's 34-10 win over Clemson in the Aug. 30 opener, Cody helped the Crimson Tide hold the Tigers to zero rushing yards. In last week's 49-14 victory at Arkansas, Cody repeatedly beat double-team blocks, many of which were led by Jonathan Luigs, the 2007 Rimington Award winner as college football's best center. so you like luigs, but wouldn't take a chance on a guy luigs couldn't block 1 on 1?

"I haven't seen anybody who's a match for this guy one-on-one," Richt said. "Nobody playing on Saturdays, or Sundays probably."

he had a 400-pound defensive lineman who could dunk a basketball.

Campbell was amazed by Cody's athleticism once he arrived in Perkinston, Miss., to begin junior college. During the Bulldogs' training camp before the 2006 season, Cody completed agility drills better than most of the team's linemen.

"We had to work with him, but he was in great shape for a 400-pounder," Campbell said. "The first time we did boxes and jumped rope, you could tell he was pretty special. Most 400-pound guys can't jump on those boxes, but he was doing it like a skill guy."

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-09-2008, 10:05 AM
MOP, I know its tough to judge him because of the leg injury he has. I dont know much about his medical history........have you heard anything?

When a big guy like that has a leg injury it scares me that he is physically carrying too much weight on him. The slow-mo scene they showed of him was disgusting as you could see his belly fat shifting from side to side. It looked like 100lbs of atapose around his waist....he looked like he should be a contestant on The Biggest Loser. Maybe he is the next Ted Wasington or Sam Adams? I havent seen enough of him play to make a judgement.

I think we need to look at OT, C, DE in the early rounds right now anyways. We can bank on Hampton for a few more seasons and Hoke's contract was extended. Somebody else will take Cody high.

revefsreleets
11-09-2008, 06:56 PM
For what it's worth, I think there were a good many true NFL quality lineman on both sides of the ball in that game. Alabama in particular.

Now, of course I don't have the super shiny resume of being a high school line coach or anything, but I have watched a lot of college ball, and it seems to me that Alabama hangs with more talented teams (and beats them this year) by dominating at the point of attack on both sides of the ball. I'd be interested in really learning more and breaking down 5 or 6 linemen of theirs on both sides of the ball. Time for that in the offseason, but as much as Alabama as a team has underwhelmed me, their OL and DL play has floored me when I've seen them play.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-09-2008, 11:08 PM
For what it's worth, I think there were a good many true NFL quality lineman on both sides of the ball in that game. Alabama in particular.

Now, of course I don't have the super shiny resume of being a high school line coach or anything, but I have watched a lot of college ball, and it seems to me that Alabama hangs with more talented teams (and beats them this year) by dominating at the point of attack on both sides of the ball. I'd be interested in really learning more and breaking down 5 or 6 linemen of theirs on both sides of the ball. Time for that in the offseason, but as much as Alabama as a team has underwhelmed me, their OL and DL play has floored me when I've seen them play.

You are right. This is only the 2nd time I have watched Alabama play this year and they seem to be solid in the trenches. They really control the LOS. Julio Jones is a real talent.......the way he stands out reminded me of the first time I saw Calvin Johnson.

I was disapointed in what I saw from Tyson Jackson. If he plays like that consistently he would only grade out as a 5th round pick (IMO). But what do I know.....I thought Javon Kearse was a tweener that would be a bust and he's probably in his 10th year in the league.

MasterOfPuppets
11-10-2008, 12:56 AM
MOP, I know its tough to judge him because of the leg injury he has. I dont know much about his medical history........have you heard anything.
sprained mcl .... back to practicing as of nov 4th

19ward86
11-10-2008, 07:53 PM
I say we let Marvel Smith and Starks go and trade someone??? for a high draft pick, 1st or 2nd and get 1 o lineman and 1 d lineman.

Texasteel
11-11-2008, 04:05 PM
You are right. This is only the 2nd time I have watched Alabama play this year and they seem to be solid in the trenches. They really control the LOS. Julio Jones is a real talent.......the way he stands out reminded me of the first time I saw Calvin Johnson.

I was disapointed in what I saw from Tyson Jackson. If he plays like that consistently he would only grade out as a 5th round pick (IMO). But what do I know.....I thought Javon Kearse was a tweener that would be a bust and he's probably in his 10th year in the league.

Don't be to hard on yourself there are people that get paid a lot of money that missed on that one.

I was very interested in you comments about Andre Smith, mainly because I love the kid as well and saw a lot of what you saw. If he comes out I think he could be the best OL let alone OT in the draft. I saw a lot of the same things early in Black, just with less talent, but I haven't seen him play the last 3 games. You are the second person that has said he hasn't looked good lately and that concerns me some.

Right now I am trying to look a OTs that I think will be available in the late 3rd or 4th rounds, I have 3 or 4 that I liked earlier. You have any suggestions?

MasterOfPuppets
11-11-2008, 09:23 PM
the merideth guy from south carolina.....not sure where he's projected. :noidea:

Fifth-year senior offensive lineman who is the incumbent at the left tackle position... has also played right tackle during his career and worked some at guard in the spring... one of the more intelligent as well as one of the strongest players on the team... earned the Harold White GPA Award for the offense in the spring... a veteran who has started 29 games over the past three seasons, second on the club to Kenny McKinley, including 28 consecutive starts heading into the 2008 campaign... has started each of the last 18 games at left tackle... will sit out the first two games of the 2008 campaign due to an NCAA eligibility ruling stemming from his freshman season.

2007: Started all 12 games at left tackle, extending his streak to 28 consecutive starts... named the Outstanding Offensive Lineman in the spring... was an ESPN The Magazine academic All-District selection.

2006: Started all 13 games... started the first seven games at right tackle, then moved to left tackle for the final six contests... given a game ball following the win at Vanderbilt when he switched from right tackle to left tackle after intermission... named the SEC Offensive Lineman of the Week for his efforts in helping Carolina knock off 24th-ranked Clemson... the USC offense gained nearly 500 yards of offense against a Tiger defense that had allowed an average of just 250 yards previously... the Gameprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterp rofanityfilters totaled over 400 yards of offense in each of the season's final four games... presented the Andrew Sorensen Scholar-Athlete Award for Football during the spring game.

Aussie_steeler
11-13-2008, 05:05 AM
Right now I am trying to look a OTs that I think will be available in the late 3rd or 4th rounds, I have 3 or 4 that I liked earlier. You have any suggestions?

Hey Texasteel. I have seen some lists updated lately and there have been some big changes in the projected rankings for O line prospects.

Check out these sites for some names.
http://walterfootball.com/draft2009OT.php

http://www.newerascouting.com/offensive-tackle-rankings/

I like you am confused again about the middle round prospects.

Texasteel
11-13-2008, 07:48 AM
Hey Texasteel. I have seen some lists updated lately and there have been some big changes in the projected rankings for O line prospects.

Check out these sites for some names.
http://walterfootball.com/draft2009OT.php

http://www.newerascouting.com/offensive-tackle-rankings/

I like you am confused again about the middle round prospects.

Thanks Aussie,

Subject to change of course, I already have Alex Mack penciled in as our 1st pick and Mark Parson as our 3rd, if we get an extra 3 rounder. I would like to see a OT, and a DE with the other 2 picks in between. Fenuki Tupou caught me eye, but need to see more of him. I still stay solid with Alex Boone, and am fasinated be Phil Loadholt size if nothing else.

As far as DE is conserned I am really getting to like Peria Jerry of Old Miss., but I still like Vance Walker of GT, and am starting to look at Evander Hood of Missu.

I think all of these guys may fall in our 2nd and 3rd round spots. Still a lot of work to do.

Aussie_steeler
11-14-2008, 12:39 AM
Thanks Aussie,

Subject to change of course, I already have Alex Mack penciled in as our 1st pick and Mark Parson as our 3rd, if we get an extra 3 rounder. I would like to see a OT, and a DE with the other 2 picks in between. Fenuki Tupou caught me eye, but need to see more of him. I still stay solid with Alex Boone, and am fasinated be Phil Loadholt size if nothing else.

As far as DE is conserned I am really getting to like Peria Jerry of Old Miss., but I still like Vance Walker of GT, and am starting to look at Evander Hood of Missu.

I think all of these guys may fall in our 2nd and 3rd round spots. Still a lot of work to do.

I am pretty much on the same wavelength as you. I would love Mack in the 1st. CB needs to be addressed in the 2nd or 3rd if possible.

I think it could be interesting to see who would be taken if Tyson Jackson or Fili Moala fall in the second. Both are fine physical specimens but are not performing to previous expectations this year.

Lots of people are starting to talk Hood up as a D line prospect. Has anyone seen him play this year?

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-14-2008, 03:16 PM
am fasinated be Phil Loadholt size if nothing else.

Loadholt to me looks more athletic than Jeff Otah did. He kind of reminds me of Jared Gathier, but doesnt show a good punch. Still needs some polish, but I think he can be a gem that some dont like. You never know.

Either way, I am liking the chances of us being able to find a solid OT this draft. I just hope Hills improves in this redshirt year on the bench.

Hapa
11-14-2008, 03:56 PM
Just finished going thru the LSU Alabama game and looking at some of the top line prospects.

Man I love Alabama LT Andre Smith's game. Big man who moves well and uses his arms with a good punch and leg drive to move defenders. Stays with rushers well and just locks down the pass rusher. Also executes a combo block well where he first hits the lineman, then scrapes to the 2nd level to get a LB. I would love if the Steelers got him.

Ciron Black the LT from LSU, seemed less impressive. Kind of an oaf that run blocks well, but doesnt have as good of feet. He seems to like cut blocking a lot when the play is away from him.....which I dont like. I mean, if you are not in the play, either block downfield on the playside or smack the guy in the face in front of you instead of diving at his feet.

Tyson Jackson the DE from LSU was disapointing to me. He stands up right off the snap and gives away leverage. He tries to slap and swim defenders, without initially jarring them with a shot to the chestplate. He looked to stand up and read-react more, than fire off the ball downhill into the OT and then shed him. Might have some measureables, but I dont like his lack of agressiveness and shying away from being physical. Would need some work and maybe an attitude adjustment to fit with the Steelers.

I hate when people cut on the backside of the play. It isn't necessary. Cutting is risky because you're either going to take him out of the play or he's going to jump over you and make the play from the backside- the worst feeling in football.

Have you played football before? You seem to know what you're talking about.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-14-2008, 05:46 PM
I hate when people cut on the backside of the play. It isn't necessary. Cutting is risky because you're either going to take him out of the play or he's going to jump over you and make the play from the backside- the worst feeling in football.

Have you played football before? You seem to know what you're talking about.

I just like it when players "man up"....especially the men in the trenches. The game is played on your feet, not rolling around. Yeah, I played before, coached before, etc. but it doesnt exactly mean I know what I'm talking about. Its just my opinion.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-16-2008, 01:28 PM
the merideth guy from south carolina.....not sure where he's projected. :noidea:

Fifth-year senior offensive lineman who is the incumbent at the left tackle position... has also played right tackle during his career and worked some at guard in the spring... one of the more intelligent as well as one of the strongest players on the team... earned the Harold White GPA Award for the offense in the spring... a veteran who has started 29 games over the past three seasons, second on the club to Kenny McKinley, including 28 consecutive starts heading into the 2008 campaign... has started each of the last 18 games at left tackle... will sit out the first two games of the 2008 campaign due to an NCAA eligibility ruling stemming from his freshman season.

Watched the S. Carolina game yesterday and they had Merideth Playing guard. He moves well and looks athletic, but didnt show a strong punch in pass protection. He was "catching" more than "delivering a punch" in pass blocking. That and they had him cut blocking a lot. Downfield run blocking is very nice....can get to LB's at 2nd level. Looks like a 3rd or 4th round guy. I like the fact he has a high GPA.....smart guys on the O line are great to have. :thumbsup:

Also watched Sam Young at Notre Dame. Looks like a solid RT, but not overly athletic to make me think he can play LT in the NFL, but you never know. If he comes out he might be anywhere from rounds 4-6, but I think he would be best served to stay in college one more year.

Aussie_steeler
11-17-2008, 12:11 AM
I saw the Alabama / Miss State game and Andre Smith looked like the real deal.

Who ever is lucky enough to get him will have a franchise left tackle for a long while.

Bama's Antoine Caldwell at center had a good game but he looks a little light on to play center in the NT massive division that is the AFC north

Texasteel
11-17-2008, 05:22 AM
I saw the Alabama / Miss State game and Andre Smith looked like the real deal.

Who ever is lucky enough to get him will have a franchise left tackle for a long while.

Bama's Antoine Caldwell at center had a good game but he looks a little light on to play center in the NT massive division that is the AFC north

You dead right about that Aussie, but Smith will be gone before we get our 1st beer poured.

Texasteel
11-17-2008, 05:46 AM
Loadholt to me looks more athletic than Jeff Otah did. He kind of reminds me of Jared Gathier, but doesnt show a good punch. Still needs some polish, but I think he can be a gem that some dont like. You never know.

Either way, I am liking the chances of us being able to find a solid OT this draft. I just hope Hills improves in this redshirt year on the bench.

I saw what you where talking about. You think maybe his lack of punch could be because of hesitation? He doesn't seem to get off the snap a quick as I would like, and seem to absorb more that he gives. If that is it, that could be coached out of him.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-17-2008, 05:30 PM
I saw what you where talking about. You think maybe his lack of punch could be because of hesitation? He doesn't seem to get off the snap a quick as I would like, and seem to absorb more that he gives. If that is it, that could be coached out of him.

I think a lot of guys dont have a great puch at the college level, because they are still young and its probably one of the last thing to get coached. Footwork and positioning are so more important. I like how Marvel Smith and Max Starks took some boxing instruction a few seasons ago to work on their punch in pass blocking.

Loadholt comes with a great JUCO resume, 2 years at OKLA and size. The interviews will tell his attitude and if he is ready to work as a pro.I think he has a lot more to learn, but has tremendous upside.

I also like the fact he was a state champ in Discus. That event is a great combination of technique, footwork, strength and explosiveness.......all elements that can help a lineman big time. Oher, Monroe, Smith are the class of the draft, but I like Loadholt's upside. Boone hasnt impressed this season, but tough to ignore his past few years at OSU too.