PDA

View Full Version : Found Money

Leftoverhard
11-09-2008, 11:43 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081108/ap_on_re_us/house_hidden_money

CLEVELAND A contractor who found $182,000 in Depression-era currency hidden in a bathroom wall has ended up with only a few thousand dollars, but he feels some vindication.

The windfall discovery amounted to little more than grief for contractor Bob Kitts, who couldn't agree on how to split the money with homeowner Amanda Reece.

It didn't help Reece much, either. She testified in a deposition that she was considering bankruptcy and that a bank recently foreclosed on one of her properties.

And 21 descendants of Patrick Dunne the wealthy businessman who stashed the money that was minted in a time of bank collapses and joblessness will each get a mere fraction of the find.

"If these two individuals had sat down and resolved their disputes and divided the money, the heirs would have had no knowledge of it," said attorney Gid Marcinkevicius, who represents the Dunne estate. "Because they were not able to sit down and divide it in a rational way, they both lost."
Kitts was tearing the bathroom walls out of an 83-year-old home near Lake Erie in 2006 when he discovered two green metal lockboxes suspended inside a wall below the medicine chest, hanging from a wire. Inside were white envelopes with the return address for "P. Dunne News Agency."

Um, I guess this is a good and rare example of - finders keepers. If I would have found this money, I would have kept it. At the most, I would have told the homeowner but why on earth couldn't they figure out how to split it without involving lawyers and ending up with barely anything in the end? And the moral of this story is......................I bet they're Browns fans.
Have you ever found some $$$ in a wierd place? I found $1000 stashed inside an old home organ I got from the thrift store. I did not have DNA collected so I could find the original owner or their heirs.
What would you do?

MACH1
11-09-2008, 11:52 AM
This happened a while ago. I think the contractor wanted to keep it all, since he was the one that found it. The owners wanted it all because they owned the house and there for it should be theirs. The contractor got greedy, hence the lawsuit.

As far as what I would do, would depend on the situation. In someones house I'd probly tell the owners, to much like stealing if you didn't. Something I bought that had money stashed, finders keepers.

Steel Duck
11-09-2008, 12:24 PM
I don't see why the contractor thought he was entitled to anything. This was in the homewoners house and therefor is the homeowners.

Preacher
11-09-2008, 12:35 PM
I don't see why the contractor thought he was entitled to anything. This was in the homewoners house and therefor is the homeowners.

Exactly.

I would have no problem giving the contractor a 10 pecent finders fee.

BUt it is the homeowners house. When he or she bought the house, they also bought all things in the house, INCLUDING the money.

Steel Duck
11-09-2008, 12:45 PM
Exactly.

I would have no problem giving the contractor a 10 pecent finders fee.

BUt it is the homeowners house. When he or she bought the house, they also bought all things in the house, INCLUDING the money.

Absolutley correct! I thought it was more than fair to offer the contractor 10%....I wouldn't have.

Hines0wnz
11-09-2008, 02:03 PM
Ah, greedy Americans. :blah:

SteelCityMan786
11-09-2008, 02:06 PM
Ah, greedy Americans. :blah:

Money can bring out the worst in people sometimes.

Hines0wnz
11-09-2008, 02:21 PM
Money can bring out the worst in people sometimes.

Our current economic issues are certainly evident of that.

Galax Steeler
11-10-2008, 03:47 AM
Why did the contractor say anything he could have kept the boxes and no one would have known about it but in all fairness it should have been the home owners.