PDA

View Full Version : 119 drop backs?

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
11-09-2008, 06:38 PM
This is the main problem with the steelers...

Payton Manning was sacked tonight for the first time in 119 drop backs..(could you imagine if Big Ben had that same stat)
Until we can protect Ben we will have trouble winning big games. When teams can rush 3 or 4 players and get pressure this leaves 7- 8 playes defending receivers and dropping into zones... Our offensive line is horrible and that is where our trouble begins.
Not making excuses for Ben, but do you ever see him have time to drop back, look down field at one or two of his receivers, plant his back foot and throw? NO.

MACH1
11-09-2008, 06:44 PM
This has been done to death.

thebus36idf
11-09-2008, 06:45 PM
I saw Ben on that last drive run out of the pocket with no pressure right into the line of a defensive player I see way too many sacks Ben gives up with his desire to run out of the pocket. I thought the offensive line was improved today!!

Edman
11-09-2008, 06:47 PM
This has been done to death, but there's nothing we can do.

The hits and sacks have taken a toll on Ben. He's reverted back to his bad 2006 form. He no longer trusts the offensive line and gets happy feet in the pocket. Quite frankly, I don't blame him.

meelanova
11-09-2008, 06:47 PM
yeah the o-line is bad but there's blame to go around. i thought he actually had some time today, granted not much.

Hapa
11-09-2008, 06:48 PM
I think they gotta bench Ben, give him a break, let all the little knicks and bruises heal up, play LEFTY! and then play Ben in a few weeks.

X-Terminator
11-09-2008, 06:49 PM
This is the main problem with the steelers...

Payton Manning was sacked tonight for the first time in 119 drop backs..(could you imagine if Big Ben had that same stat)
Until we can protect Ben we will have trouble winning big games. When teams can rush 3 or 4 players and get pressure this leaves 7- 8 playes defending receivers and dropping into zones... Our offensive line is horrible and that is where our trouble begins.
Not making excuses for Ben, but do you ever see him have time to drop back, look down field at one or two of his receivers, plant his back foot and throw? NO.

He did that several times today, actually. The problems came when he was under any kind of pressure - he just does not have the patience he needs within the pocket to make plays, and is looking to scramble when there's really no one around him. I think that comes from not having much protection most of the season, and he doesn't completely trust his OL. And as bad as they've been, who could blame him?

eafratitpm3
11-09-2008, 06:54 PM
How about this, sit his @ss down until Byron doesn't produce. Ben should have never played that second half. Well, I'm glad Tomlin sent a message to Ben before this game, lol. Maybe the wrong message was sent. I don't care if he is being paid $200 million a year, if he isn't producing sit his ass on the bench!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stillers4ever
11-09-2008, 07:17 PM
No excuses. This is without a doubt 100% Bens fault. I want him outa here. Id rather have fragile dennis dixon throwin between his legs than have ben right now. gimme a freakin break, are you kidding me?

eafratitpm3
11-09-2008, 07:28 PM
The Steelers will never sit Ben because of the money they paid him. His contract should have had a bunch of incentives, the first being depends on how many wins he produces.

X-Terminator
11-09-2008, 07:28 PM
No excuses. This is without a doubt 100% Bens fault. I want him outa here. Id rather have fragile dennis dixon throwin between his legs than have ben right now. gimme a freakin break, are you kidding me?

And as if like magic, another Steelers "fan" shows up out of nowhere to prove me right once again about their fickle nature. Good job! :coffee:

SteelCityMan786
11-09-2008, 07:33 PM

Wow, you obviously don't know that this team lost it AS A TEAM! They didn't make the key plays when they had to, and what happened? They lost. They're 6-3 for a reason. Why? They took care of business in 6 games and didn't in the others.

Makaveli
11-09-2008, 07:43 PM
He did that several times today, actually. The problems came when he was under any kind of pressure - he just does not have the patience he needs within the pocket to make plays, and is looking to scramble when there's really no one around him. I think that comes from not having much protection most of the season, and he doesn't completely trust his OL. And as bad as they've been, who could blame him?

Whats so difficult to understand about,...... a leader's "accountability". ?

MACH1
11-09-2008, 07:45 PM
And as if like magic, another Steelers "fan" shows up out of nowhere to prove me right once again about their fickle nature. Good job! :coffee:

Ta-Daaa. :chuckle:

Florida_Steelers_Fan
11-09-2008, 07:46 PM
this is all pretty sad...ben is the least of the steelers problems.

this team has backups all over the field and we're still tied for first in our division...the sky hasn't fell just yet...

X-Terminator
11-09-2008, 07:47 PM
Whats so difficult to understand about,...... a leader's "accountability". ?

He has held himself accountable for his poor play. On multiple occasions including tonight. So what, exactly, is your point?

devilsdancefloor
11-09-2008, 07:47 PM
How about this, sit his @ss down until Byron doesn't produce. Ben should have never played that second half. Well, I'm glad Tomlin sent a message to Ben before this game, lol. Maybe the wrong message was sent. I don't care if he is being paid $200 million a year, if he isn't producing sit his ass on the bench!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ya ben never should have played the second half al he did was lead us to 17 1st half points :huh: :huh: i know havent been on the forums long, but i think i am getting it when we lose steelers fans like you show up :troll:
why not show up and talk about a win? oh ya :troll:
You have to take the bad with the good! next you wil be spouting fire coach bah this sickens me!If you do not have anything postitive to say about this team crawl back to the hole you came out of! :banging: :banging: :banging:

stillers4me
11-09-2008, 07:48 PM

this team has backups all over the field and we're still tied for first in our division...the sky hasn't fell just yet...

ding ding ding! The voice of reason! Stop making sense! You'll frustrate all the boobirds that flock here after a loss! (which happens to be only the third one in a season thats half over).

X-Terminator
11-09-2008, 07:50 PM

That's true, which is why I'm still optimistic that things will get turned around. Ben didn't play well and deserves plenty of blame, sure, but I'm not going to throw him under the bus or call for him to be "outa here". That's just ridiculous. You think teams like the Lions and Shehawks wouldn't like to have Ben as their QB right now?

Florida_Steelers_Fan
11-09-2008, 07:52 PM
ding ding ding! The voice of reason! Stop making sense! You'll frustrate all the boobirds that flock here after a loss! (which happens to be only the third one in a season thats half over).

i haven't posted much here because of all the nonsense i read...but i visit occasionally and i've come to expect some of the stuff i read here because we fans can be fickle indeed.

i think people need to realize that probably one of the top 10 greatest qb's of ALL-TIME beat us today because he's that good. peyton scares the hell out of me. and we nearly pulled one off as we've got a pretty good qb of our own. ben's beat up physically and people here don't seem to understand or respect his competitive drive.

stillers4me
11-09-2008, 07:57 PM
i haven't posted much here because of all the nonsense i read...but i visit occasionally and i've come to expect some of the stuff i read here because we fans can be fickle indeed.

i think people need to realize that probably one of the top 10 greatest qb's of ALL-TIME beat us today because he's that good. peyton scares the hell out of me. and we nearly pulled one off as we've got a pretty good qb of our own. ben's beat up physically and people here don't seem to understand or respect his competitive drive.

You're right. Ben himself admits he is extremely competitive.

I did enjoy seeing Peyton eat some real dirt, though. :flap:

GBMelBlount
11-09-2008, 08:09 PM
Sorry guys, please don't pile on but I really think Ben is shell shocked and needs a break. I would rather they had not started him today. I just think he is beat up and needs to heal. That's all.

Prok
11-09-2008, 09:00 PM
Sorry guys, please don't pile on but I really think Ben is shell shocked and needs a break. I would rather they had not started him today. I just think he is beat up and needs to heal. That's all.

I think we need to just put him in his comfort zone. The NO-HUDDLE!

eafratitpm3
11-09-2008, 09:30 PM
I think his Comfort Zone right now would be the BENCH!!!!

thebus36idf
11-10-2008, 10:10 PM
I don't care what anyone says about our o-line. Ben Threw an int with a ten point lead on our side of the feild right before halftime. A rookie mistake not a multi million dollar player. NOOOO EXCUSES!!!!!! You just can't do that!!!!!

T.Richardson
11-10-2008, 10:18 PM
That int before the half, people keep bringing this up. Heres what I think.

On that Play Holmes had the Corner beat down the sideline, and I believe Ben tried to throw it deep but didnt have enough power in the throw and it was underthrown. I may be wrong about that, but that is what it seems like what happened on that play.

jjpro11
11-10-2008, 10:36 PM
im just glad he made those throws in a regular season game.. if this was a postseason game, i really dont know what i or anyone on here would do. he played like crap in the first half of last year's wild card game, but that was a game many of us admittedly expected to lose with all the injuries. this was a game we were supposed to win and should have won if not for 2 terrible passes.

R2sojr
11-11-2008, 06:50 AM
Sure Ben threw 2 int's but only one of them was his fault. The second one Santonio quit on his route because he felt the hit coming. Ike talor tiped 2 balls for big plays. Troys drop really wasnt his fault because Clark put his hand where the ball was and actually hit off clarks hand. THE DEFENCE YOU CANNONT BLAME. Without there play this season we would be 1-8. Offence of line is skeptical. They actually didnt play that bad but couldnt hold up when we needed.

I would take a 75% Ben over LEFTY and DIXON any day. Lefty couldnt beat out Harrington in Atlanta. Sure Ben may be hurt but i do andmire his endurance to keep on playing. Sure lefty did great against Washington but thats his job. You pull your franchise QB and you've basically wasted 100 million. Ppl love Ben when he's playing great but want him out when he has bad games. I dont get it?:banging:

stlrtruck
11-11-2008, 08:13 AM
Ppl love Ben when he's playing great but want him out when he has bad games. I dont get it?:banging:

Because this is Pittsburgh. They were awstruck with Terry Bradshaw and even got on him when he cost the team games. Now the Steelers finally have a QB to help us forget the 80's and 90's and as awstruck as they are with his abilities, they hold him to a different standard - I'll call it the TB Standard! It's not fair but when you're pulling down 100 million - you better perform better than 2 INTs inside your own 30!

stlrtruck
11-11-2008, 08:18 AM
Ppl love Ben when he's playing great but want him out when he has bad games. I dont get it?:banging:

DUPLICATE POST - MODS PLEASE DELETE

MillerMania83
11-11-2008, 06:30 PM
"Troys drop really wasnt his fault because Clark put his hand where the ball was and actually hit off clarks hand"....

I hear what your saying there, but man, Troy HAS to make that play....The All Pro, All World, All Everything player that he is, he has to FIND A WAY TO MAKE THAT PLAY, JMO.

revefsreleets
11-11-2008, 06:44 PM
A) Colts and Pats OL's hold. They have to, because Brady and Manning are about as mobile as my 87 year old grandmother, and they are also superstars in this league.
B) Colts scheme for protection because they have to. And they also know exactly where Manning will be (right in the pocket at 1, 3, 5 or 7 steps) because he's too slow to go anywhere else.
C) Have I said this yet? Apples and Oranges
D) This is stupid

eafratitpm3
11-11-2008, 07:01 PM
The one that was his fault changed the whole complexion of the game. As a veteran QB you should know that protection of the ball in that situation before the half was critical, no if, ands, or buts!!!!!!!

Sure Ben threw 2 int's but only one of them was his fault. The second one Santonio quit on his route because he felt the hit coming. Ike talor tiped 2 balls for big plays. Troys drop really wasnt his fault because Clark put his hand where the ball was and actually hit off clarks hand. THE DEFENCE YOU CANNONT BLAME. Without there play this season we would be 1-8. Offence of line is skeptical. They actually didnt play that bad but couldnt hold up when we needed.

I would take a 75% Ben over LEFTY and DIXON any day. Lefty couldnt beat out Harrington in Atlanta. Sure Ben may be hurt but i do andmire his endurance to keep on playing. Sure lefty did great against Washington but thats his job. You pull your franchise QB and you've basically wasted 100 million. Ppl love Ben when he's playing great but want him out when he has bad games. I dont get it?:banging:

HughC
11-12-2008, 10:04 AM
For many it's the nature of being a fan. It's as if knee jerk reactions prove how big a fan they are. Same in every other city and even every other sport. There's a certain percentage that start talking championship after every win, and 'fire the coach, get rid of the QB' after every loss - or incomplete pass. And for years the most popular player on just about every team is the backup QB. Unfortunately fans don't have the same accountability for their comments that players and coaches have for their decisions.

revefsreleets
11-12-2008, 11:48 AM
How condescending...
This is about injuries first, not "knee jerk fan reactions". This would be an entirely different matter if Ben was practicing with the team and playing this way, but he's not. He's injured. He's barely practicing. The injuries have CLEARLY affected his performance. I don't think anyone here actually thinks Ben is a bad QB, but I'm sure we can all reach some kind of concensus that his injuries are having a big impact on his performance.
If playing at 80% does not help this team win, and also risks that his health could worsen, meaning he might be playing at 60% in December, it's time to sit him for a week or two.

Steely McSmash
11-12-2008, 11:59 AM
Sure Ben threw 2 int's but only one of them was his fault. The second one Santonio quit on his route because he felt the hit coming.

I believe Ben said this was on him post-game. Disagreement on what the route was. Tone was looking to cut downfield

My 2 cents on this is that I would have started Lefty and kept Ben in reserve to heal up. If Leftwich struggles put in Ben. Having started Ben, there was no point in the game where there was an opportunity to pull Ben that really made sense to me. Considering how the defence is playing I think a game manager would do ok. I think Ben's lack of arm strength allowed the Indy D to cover shorter passes somewhat better with FS playing up closer.

I put no stock in the need to play ben due to salary. This is up to Tomlin. Best chance to win. Ben gets paid start or no start. There's no difference in cost. We paid starks big cash early this season to ride the pine.

You have to expect Ben to want to play as a competitor. It's up to Tomlin to make the call. I think Coach learned some things from this.

JackHammer
11-14-2008, 06:12 PM
"Troys drop really wasnt his fault because Clark put his hand where the ball was and actually hit off clarks hand"....

I hear what your saying there, but man, Troy HAS to make that play....The All Pro, All World, All Everything player that he is, he has to FIND A WAY TO MAKE THAT PLAY, JMO.

Sooner or later you'll have to come to terms with the fact that he's All Human too. Just like people bitching about Ike not intercepting a pass that he barely got his fingertips on. These guys are human and thus, imperfect. Get used to it.

TerribleSteelyMcBeam
11-15-2008, 07:58 PM
I think they gotta bench Ben, give him a break, let all the little knicks and bruises heal up, play LEFTY! and then play Ben in a few weeks.

thats a good way to treat the FRANCHISE player

-1 to that post