PDA

View Full Version : Randle El named Steelers Man of the year

BlitzburghRockCity
12-07-2005, 07:54 PM
http://media3.steelers.com/article/60058/

PITTSBURGH ? Steelers wide receiver Antwaan Randle El has received numerous accolades for his on-field contributions this year, in his first season as a full-time starter. Now Randle El is being recognized for his off-the-field contributions to the community by being named the Steelers? 2005 Walter Payton Man of the Year.

Randle El, a three-year veteran was drafted by the Steelers in the second round of the 2002 NFL Draft, has excelled both on and off the field. As the Steelers? representative to the United Way, Randle El regularly meets with Pittsburgh-area companies and other organizations to help increase charitable contributions throughout the region.

Randle El also enjoys lending a helping hand to children by making numerous charitable appearances throughout the year from participating in the team programs.

In November, Randle El served as the co-captain for the Steelers Style 2005 Fashion Show, which raised money for the Thomas E. Starzl Transplantation Institute at UPMC and the Cancer Caring Center. In addition, Randle El participates in the Steelers? Project Bundle-Up program, in which players take underprivileged children shopping for winter outerwear.

Several years ago, Randle El began working with The Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank to help organize local food drives and distribute free turkeys during the Thanksgiving holiday. He also donates much of his free time visiting schools and youth football groups to speak about the synergy between academics and sports.

Randle El will be one of 32 NFL team Man of the Year winners who qualifies for the league?s national 2005 Walter Payton Man of the Year award. The overall winner will be announced during Super Bowl week in Detroit.

clevestinks
12-07-2005, 07:56 PM
Props to El! Well deserved.

Prosdo
12-07-2005, 08:29 PM
Way to go Randle El. Congrats!

SteelCityMan786
12-07-2005, 08:37 PM
Congrats Antwaan. We'd Like You To Step it up here. That way we can get to the Playoffs.

BB2W
12-08-2005, 12:10 AM
Congrats to him... El is one of the good guys in the NFL. I liked the article earlier this year about the kid that won a contest and got to take Antwaan to school with him. Man, that would have been awesome as a little kid.

Why didn't the Bengals do anything like that where I live when I was a kid... Not that it would have been cool to be seen anywhere with a Bengal in the mid 90's. I would have had to stand him up. :redface:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-08-2005, 12:41 AM
El is always the perfect fans kinda player..will sign autographs all day, personable w/ kids and adults.. just a great guy. :tt:

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
12-08-2005, 01:16 AM
good job i always liked el
even when he helped the pats win this year

SteelR1
12-08-2005, 04:46 PM
Congratulations El!!!! Keep up the great work.

melroseplace
12-10-2005, 05:09 PM
El seems like such a great guy...seems like he has such a great personality and sense of humor. I'd love to meet him