PDA

View Full Version : Willie Colon- Cheapshot artist?

tony hipchest
11-10-2008, 01:30 PM
i havent reviewed it but bob papa and shannon sharpe were disgusted by a colon play they said had no place in football, and was a blatant attempt to seriously injure somebody.

i guess it was the final play of the game, robert mathis(?) was engaged, and willie purposefully went at his knee with intent to hurt him. (seen at the bottom of the tv screen). they said they thought he would be done for the year and that colon would definitely be fined.

anyone else notice this?

T.Richardson
11-10-2008, 01:39 PM
hmm, I didnt notice that, I was worried about the clock, and Ben. I dont think it was intentional, probably just making sure he didnt get to Ben on the play.

MACH1
11-10-2008, 02:05 PM
This is the first I've heard of it.

Hapa
11-10-2008, 02:27 PM
Wow that's crazy. I really hope not.

drizze99
11-10-2008, 02:40 PM
I too listen to Sirius NFL radio religiously (currently waiting for Movin the Chains) and Bob was pretty upset over play this morning.

Its probably a highlight that will be shown on ESPN today since it was a Hail Mary play. They said to pay attention to Mathis and you will see Willie dive at his knees.

If this is in fact true, and I was Tomlin, I would bench Colon. I played on the line and those antics are total BS!

drizze99
11-10-2008, 02:49 PM
I just went to NFL.com to watch the highlights and after watching it about 10x, I believe he launched himself at Mathis' knees...

FOOTEupyourarse
11-10-2008, 03:07 PM
he absolutely did NOT launch himself! you can clearly see that he was beat on the play and as he spun around he lost his footing and his weight carried him over

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
11-10-2008, 03:28 PM
I really hope not, I pride myself on us being a clean team and get IRATE when we get called/fined for "cheap shots" that never happened.

Leftoverhard
11-10-2008, 03:29 PM
Anyone have the link?

klick81
11-10-2008, 03:37 PM
Geez...I don't know. It certainly doesn't look good. Judge for yourself:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-jK2Q1hGw_8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-jK2Q1hGw_8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
11-10-2008, 03:41 PM
I can't tell from that far out if he got beat and fell trying to get back there, or if he really did try a cheap shot. I really hope not. We don't need to lose anyone off of our O-line, but if he did do it on purpose he needs to be made an example of.

fansince'76
11-10-2008, 03:55 PM
Hard to tell if he was intentionally trying to hurt Mathis, but I find it ironic that an ex-player who spent a decade+ (Sharpe) on a team that has been notorious for cut blocking by its O-linemen would be complaining about it. Glass houses and stones and all that. That being said, Colon should definitely get fined for it. Knees are always off limits.

tony hipchest
11-10-2008, 03:57 PM
if im correct, isnt this the 1st game colon HASNT been penalized?

if thats the case, maybe he just didnt want to see his streak come to an end.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-10-2008, 04:54 PM
he absolutely did NOT launch himself! you can clearly see that he was beat on the play and as he spun around he lost his footing and his weight carried him over

I agree, Colon was looking inside and must have thought somebody else had Mathis. When he tries recovers, he is trying to cut at his feet and somehow get in front so it isnt a block from behind......but he clumsily stumbles and falls.

I can think of several plays by Luis Castillo, Shawn Rogers, Ty Warren, Vince Wilfork, Albert Haynesworth that were similar, but look like intentional follow thru to QB's legs. The Max Jean-Gilles hit that ended Ryan Mundy's season was much more deliberate....and late.

MACH1
11-10-2008, 04:54 PM
It looks like he whiffed his block(whats new) and tried to spin around with him and lost his balance.

Preacher
11-10-2008, 04:58 PM
I watched his feet.

When a guy is getting ready to launch, he usually coils up a bit and gets his feet underneath him.

Watch Willie. He doesn't do any of that. He actually looks like a guy on ice that can't get his balance.

Funny thing, if anyone was going to do it intentionally on that line, I would say it was Willie.

VTsteel
11-10-2008, 05:51 PM
Willie got beat (confused maybe?) and tried to recover . . . the only thing he could do was jump at Mathis' legs. He should be held accountable for making a very bad error in judgement. Like others have said . . . knees are off limits.

PisnNapalm
11-10-2008, 06:09 PM
He got smoked around the corner and tried to get back. He got off balance and fell. Gravity is a bitch. She never stops pullin ya down.

It wasn't a cheap shot.

jjpro11
11-10-2008, 06:26 PM
i dont see it as a cheap shot.. he had all game to cheap shot mathis if he wanted.. he got beat, again, and tried in desperation to recover.

Havik
11-10-2008, 07:02 PM
Cheap shot or no, it's the perfect excuse to bench this bum. I'd like to see what Tony Hills can do, he can't be any worse than Colon.

Steelman16
11-10-2008, 07:06 PM
Cheap shot or no, it's the perfect excuse to bench this bum. I'd like to see what Tony Hills can do, he can't be any worse than Colon.

:doh:

Hills ain't ready to start.

We won't be benching Colon unless he's suspended.

steelergirl07
11-10-2008, 07:13 PM
Doens't look like a cheap shot to me. Seems like he just lost his balance.

MasterOfPuppets
11-10-2008, 07:13 PM
Cheap shot or no, it's the perfect excuse to bench this bum. I'd like to see what Tony Hills can do, he can't be any worse than Colon.here ! here!....i second that !! :thumbsup:

MasterOfPuppets
11-10-2008, 07:22 PM
:doh:

Hills ain't ready to start.

We won't be benching Colon unless he's suspended.

yeah...he'd probably make a bunch of dumb rookie mistakes, like penalties, and gettin beat like a drum on passing downs.....:coffee:

The Duke
11-10-2008, 07:23 PM
yeah...he'd probably make a bunch of dumb rookie mistakes, like penalties, and gettin beat like a drum on passing downs.....:coffee:

Hey, that sound like colon :chuckle:

Guttpuppy
11-10-2008, 07:23 PM
He clearly just stumbles... nothing more to see here.

Steeldude
11-10-2008, 08:16 PM
looked like he lost balance when trying to recover from his lack of recognition, skill and speed. i see nothing intentional.

Hapa
11-10-2008, 08:19 PM
Looks like a cheap shot to me.

VegasStlrFan
11-10-2008, 08:55 PM
I don't think it was intentional, looked like an unathletic attempt to recover as you are getting baddly beaten. Probably will cost some $ though.

Marble-mouth calling an oline block cheap is a joke. Kind of like him impersonating and announcer.

jjpro11
11-10-2008, 09:21 PM
to his credit, the play was bang bang with a lot of cunfusion.. there really was no time to figure out a blocking scheme. they snapped the ball with one second left on the game clock. amazingly, that was the best blocking the line did all game.

Steeldude
11-10-2008, 10:04 PM
Marble-mouth calling an oline block cheap is a joke. Kind of like him impersonating and announcer.

funny how sharpe never had a problem with the broncos' dirty blocking.

Hapa
11-10-2008, 10:23 PM
I said I thought it was a cheap shot, but I take that back.

I don't think he was trying to hurt him, but I do think he was doing something he knew he shouldn't be doing.

Preacher
11-10-2008, 10:33 PM
to his credit, the play was bang bang with a lot of cunfusion.. there really was no time to figure out a blocking scheme. they snapped the ball with one second left on the game clock. amazingly, that was the best blocking the line did all game.

Which makes me wonder... Is part of the problem the fact that our blocking schemes are too complicated? Should we just, "let em play" and see what happens. Sometimes, you can coach down talent as well.

devilsdancefloor
11-10-2008, 10:48 PM
maybe this is why the no huddle works so well it is less complicated and instead of ben calling the protection ina huddle and the oline getting set been points it out at the line and they all are on the same page. because it has always made me scratch my head why in the hell can they do no huddle. Maybe someone needs to email BA i say we let the next fire BA thread starter do that:noidea::noidea::thumbsup:

Preacher
11-10-2008, 11:00 PM
maybe this is why the no huddle works so well it is less complicated and instead of ben calling the protection ina huddle and the oline getting set been points it out at the line and they all are on the same page. because it has always made me scratch my head why in the hell can they do no huddle. Maybe someone needs to email BA i say we let the next fire BA thread starter do that:noidea::noidea::thumbsup:

You know, that makes a bit of sense.

Ben simply comes in, probably calls a simple block scheme, and lets them loose. Hmmm.

Leftoverhard
11-10-2008, 11:00 PM
Thanks for posting that vid - Colon tripped. Nothing to see here.

jjpro11
11-10-2008, 11:28 PM
here's a better video.. the one on sunday makes me sick.

X5KbknGJEWc

tony hipchest
11-11-2008, 12:15 AM
well after seeing the replay (finally) i can see where homer bob papa, is desperate to seek out reasons why the steelers pretty much manhandled the "dominant and superior" giants.

and of course shannon is just being shannon.

it definitely didnt seem as deliberate as advertized.

the bear on roller skates simply fell down and still tried to do his job.

while i expect a fine in todays current climate, i wouldnt be suprised if it doesnt even draw one.

drucifer
11-11-2008, 10:35 AM
Doesn't look intentional to me, but maybe that's by design. In my opinion, the probability differential is 50% intentional vs. 50% unintentional.

Dizzle43
11-11-2008, 10:45 AM
looked like he lost balance when trying to recover from his lack of recognition, skill and speed. i see nothing intentional.

That was great. :applaudit::sofunny:

Rhee Rhee
11-11-2008, 04:46 PM

as much as it may have looked like a cheap shot... thats exactly what i saw...

MDSteel15
11-12-2008, 01:49 AM
I said I thought it was a cheap shot, but I take that back.

I don't think he was trying to hurt him, but I do think he was doing something he knew he shouldn't be doing.

What was that? PLaying football? :rofl:

jdsdaguy
11-12-2008, 05:55 AM
it did not look like a cheap shot to me. if you thought that was a cheap shot, i bet you were up in arms over vonolhoffens hit on palmer in 05. that looked more like a cheap shot than this one.

WV-SteelerFan
11-12-2008, 07:59 AM
http://www.godspeed.dk/officerBarbrady.gif