PDA

View Full Version : injuries are no excuse BUT...

tony hipchest
11-10-2008, 04:22 PM
they have definitely contributed to us having less than stellar showings in our losses.

i am convinced having woodley and mcfadden woulda trimmed colts 24 points down to 14. im almost sure having parker, mendenhall, and miller wouldve given us an additional 14 points. if healthy we wouldve blown out the colts by atleast 20. yet we still had a chance to win it on the final play.

you know why you never hear other teams fans saying they wish they could play the steelers at full strength? because they know we would kick the shit out of them.

im a bit disappointed we didnt have the struggling patriots, chargers, colts, cowboys, etc early in the season so we could kick them while they are down.

all these teams are coming into their own and healing up (well maybe not the pats) and they get us with a beat up roster.

when we beat the patriots, you will not hear me say "i wish we coulda beat them with brady". i dont care if we beat them with brady, testaverde, doug flutie or mckenzie.

nobody apologizes for our misfortune. they simply relish the win.

heres to our health and our opponents demise (especially the ratbirds). :tt03:

stillers4me
11-10-2008, 05:22 PM
McFadden should be back in a few weeks, right? Broken arm about 4-5 weeks?

jjpro11
11-10-2008, 05:27 PM
deshea definitely had an off game.. and now he may be injured for who knows how long.. go figure. the sad thing is with all these injuries, we could have still beat the giants and the colts if it werent for ben.. its just plain and simple.

slippy
11-10-2008, 05:56 PM
well, if manning hadn't had surgery and missed the preseason and if the colts could keep the offensive line from getting hurt en masse, then they might have blown us out.

all but a few teams are totally banged up.

fansince'76
11-10-2008, 05:59 PM
well, if manning hadn't had surgery and missed the preseason and if the colts could keep the offensive line from getting hurt en masse, then they might have blown us out.

And we were a near-miss pick-six by Troy and a fluke tip to Reggie Wayne from pretty much blowing them out ourselves....

Steelman16
11-10-2008, 06:02 PM
And we were a near-miss pick-six by Troy and a fluke tip to Reggie Wayne from pretty much blowing them out ourselves....

Or even just a play-action fake into the endzone on their goal line stand instead of 3 identical runs.

It was a close game.

fansince'76
11-10-2008, 06:05 PM
Or even just a play-action fake into the endzone on their goal line stand instead of 3 identical runs.

It was a close game.

We've had a number of crummy bounces go against us this year. IMO, the only game we truly have been beaten in was the Philly game - we gave the other two away.

stillers4me
11-10-2008, 06:14 PM
We've had a number of crummy bounces go against us this year. IMO, the only game we truly have been beaten in was the Philly game - we gave the other two away.

yep......both the Giants and the Colts were very winnable games.

NJarhead
11-10-2008, 06:14 PM

Amen to that. Hopefully that'll do a 180 by playoff time.

tony hipchest
11-10-2008, 06:15 PM
and heres the point....

im willing to bet if you visit a colts board you wont see ANY colts fan saying they wish they couldve played the steelers at full strength with willie, mendenhall, miller, their starting LG and RG plus lamar woodley, mcfadden, PLUS a healthy qb.

alot of steelerfans almost bemoaned the fact that brady was out wishting to beat them "at their best".

at this point, i wouldve gladly taken a gimpy manning and a defense w/o bob sanders.

no sense in apologizing for other teams injuries when we play them.

PalmerSteel
11-10-2008, 06:17 PM

all but a few teams are totally banged up.

true everyone is banged up and its far from an excuse, but injuries has or will catch up if it doesnt improve. its just a matter of common logic.
name me one other team that has had as many starters injured like we have, including their top 2 RB's ?

Edman
11-10-2008, 06:19 PM
We had the Defending Super Bowl Champion Giants beat until called back TD pass. Changed the entire complexity of the game, and Ben's moxy. We had the Colts beat until that Ben INT before the half. That pretty much deflated the team. It was all downhill after that.

We've literally handed wins on a silver platter to two teams we should've beat at home, and it disgusts me. It's 2006 all over again...almost.

Steelman16
11-10-2008, 06:20 PM

I agree, though even in the Philly game I think if Ben had been healthier and Tomlin had scrapped the gameplan, we might've been able to pull it out. The D was playing lights out, and it was also a very close game.

People see 3 losses, Ben's injuries and horrible stats, all the rest of the injuries and think we're a bad team. As you said, we've beaten ourselves (plus a few unlucky breaks).

If the entirety of this team catches fire toward the end of the season, we could be looking at a serious Super Bowl run. The o-line has quietly been putting together better games as the season progresses, and if or when Ben breaks out of the funk, we'd be very hard to beat.

MACH1
11-10-2008, 06:22 PM
when we beat the patriots, you will not hear me say "i wish we coulda beat them with brady".

The only thing you'll hear me scream is "run up the score". :chuckle:

We've given two games away this year so far.

PalmerSteel
11-10-2008, 06:23 PM
way too many IFS. a loss is a loss. a win is a win. every team in the nfl has games every year that they can say "IF" on.

beSteelmyheart
11-10-2008, 07:06 PM
Yep, Indy wasn't "all that" yesterday, they just capitalized on 2 major mistakes & that' as they say, is that. take away those 14 points in turnovers & they would have been beaten.

19ward86
11-10-2008, 07:47 PM
I think O-line chemistry is our biggest problem, when lineman are missing chemistry isnt there. Giving up 24 to the Colts isnt that bad, we needed to put up 25. I think we lost the game, not the other way around.

Preacher
11-10-2008, 08:44 PM
I do think it is a testament to our team and coaches that we are 5-3 with this many people out.

Galax Steeler
11-11-2008, 03:35 AM
I just hope we start getting all our players back for this run down the stretch we need to start playing some hard nose football.

Steelers & I
11-11-2008, 04:26 AM
The Steelers definitely gave away both the Giants and Colts games. As far as the Eagles game went, I've never seen the Steelers offense play any worse than they did in that game and yet the Steelers were still in it for more than 3 quarters.

This season reminds me a lot of 2005 season. After the Bengals defeated the Steelers in their 2nd matchup, I told a few Bungles fans that they did not want to see us again. I feel the same about the Colts and the Giants this season, I'll bet you that they don't want to see the Steelers again but I sure wouldn't mind meeting either or both of them in the post season. I like the Steelers chances against either of them.

Boomerang
11-11-2008, 05:31 AM
Frustrating to watch because we had the game their for the taking and just did not shut down the Colts and finish them off.Still think with injuries hopefully clearing a little we can still make some big noise.