PDA

View Full Version : For discussion purposes only...

Sharkissle29
11-11-2008, 12:01 PM
So, like last week, is there a qb controversy this week??

Do we give byron a shot and let ben heal?

Do we let big ben go out there and try and prove himself again?

I have to admit, there were times throughout big bens career where i would just say bench him. And then the week after, he would go out and impress the hell out of me. So this time has it just been a 3 game skid before his big bounce back??

Dizzle43
11-11-2008, 01:26 PM
As long as Ben can physically play, he will play. I like Byron. I think he is a good player and a great backup QB. Ben is getting paid more money than any other player in the NFL this year. We cannot afford to let him sit the bench. I don't think one or two weeks will heal his shoulder, so it would be pointless to let him sit. We will win or lose with Ben and that's just how it is going to be. Ben is a great QB. One of the best in the NFL. Put together the horrid O-line play, the injury, the fact we're not running the ball, and low confidence; Ben is just not playing good football right now. All in all we have to stick with him. He will turn it around.

Makaveli
11-11-2008, 04:38 PM

I have to admit, there were times throughout big bens career where i would just say bench him. And then the week after, he would go out and impress the hell out of me. So this time has it just been a 3 game skid before his big bounce back??

Well,..in my opinion Tomlin's hands are tied in light of Ben's aforementioned absurd contract. It's highly unlikely that the front office would allow him (Tomlin) to sit Roethlisberger. Even if it were to spare the team a 10-6 or 9-7 season.

But,... perhaps the "phantom" shoulder injury,..(much like the broken toes he once had that neither coach Cowher or the staff knew anything about),..could provide the F/O the smokescreen it needs to allow Tomlin to do what is best for the team as a whole ?

Preacher
11-11-2008, 04:42 PM
Well,..in my opinion Tomlin's hands are tied in light of Ben's aforementioned absurd contract. It's highly unlikely that the front office would allow him (Tomlin) to sit Roethlisberger. Even if it were to spare the team a 10-6 or 9-7 season.

But,... perhaps the "phantom" shoulder injury,..(much like the broken toes he once had that neither coach Cowher or the staff knew anything about),..could provide the F/O the smokescreen it needs to allow Tomlin to do what is best for the team as a whole ?

"Phantom"

really?

:pity:

The_WARDen
11-11-2008, 04:47 PM
Honestly, Ben sitting a week might do more for clearing his head than anything physical. I know his shoulder won't heal fully with a week off but it couldn't hurt, and he could use that time to step back and reboot mentally.

:hatsoff:

Makaveli
11-11-2008, 04:50 PM
"Phantom"

really?

:pity:

Close enough Padre,..as it only seems to bother him against stiffer competition than teams like the Clowns, Bungals or the Texans. :chuckle:

NJarhead
11-11-2008, 04:54 PM

I don't think this organization has ever subscribed to that belief, especially when it concerns an injury.

Preacher
11-11-2008, 05:04 PM
Honestly, Ben sitting a week might do more for clearing his head than anything physical. I know his shoulder won't heal fully with a week off but it couldn't hurt, and he could use that time to step back and reboot mentally.

:hatsoff:

I understand what your saying, but I don't think that rebooting mentally will happen until we get some other on the line. I think Ben is just too shell-shocked right now.

The only way that may NOT be true, is if Lefty is able to come in and play a good game without having to escape much. Even then, I think it would take a couple games.

Then again, with that shoulder, that's about what it should be anyway.

T.Richardson
11-11-2008, 05:16 PM
That shoulder injury probably wont heal until the offseason, im thinking it will need surgery.

Dino 6 Rings
11-11-2008, 05:38 PM
I'm not sure that I really understand the question. His health had ZERO to do with the 2 key interceptions he through this weekend. They weren't "my arm hurt" throws that he missed, they were "wtf is the defense doing" throws and "why the ef are we passing on 3rd and two" throws.

Lefty is good, and maybe he should have played more this weekend. But that wouldn't have meant a win, and honestly, he's a good back-up, when there is no pressure, come in at half time and play kind of guy, but there must be a reason NO ONE in the NFL signed the guy to be their starter.

The Duke
11-11-2008, 06:14 PM
I'm not sure that I really understand the question. His health had ZERO to do with the 2 key interceptions he through this weekend. They weren't "my arm hurt" throws that he missed, they were "wtf is the defense doing" throws and "why the ef are we passing on 3rd and two" throws.

Totally agree. I just cannot blame the injury for it

He did complete a lot of passes that were beautifully thrown, he just screwed up at the worst time

Now I'm not saying he's healthy and that injury is BS, but Ben has to improve his decision making regardless of the injury

MillerMania83
11-11-2008, 06:50 PM
Totally agree. I just cannot blame the injury for it

He did complete a lot of passes that were beautifully thrown, he just screwed up at the worst time

Now I'm not saying he's healthy and that injury is BS, but Ben has to improve his decision making regardless of the injury

I have to kinda agree here with these thoughts....Ben did make some great passes last week, but the INT's were just BAD decisions....Now I think there are a few reasons for these "decisions", just the way the entire season has been going from the first game, he gets injured, then ya have him running for his life back there most weeks because of a suspect OL, then ya have your running game basically gone because Fast Willie gets hurt....He's the 100 million $$$ dollar man, he's the leader, he feels he has to make 'it" happen....Add all of that up, and it is what it is, and these are the results we are getting with #7 right now....I love Big Ben, I think he's one of the best in the league, but maybe it is time for him to take a seat for a week or two, not to really heal up, cuz that probably isn't going to happen till the off season, but just to "clear his head" as it was put, let BL run the show for a game or two and maybe this will help #7 settle down a bit and get his game back together, IF the injury really isn't the BIG problem.

iloveben7
11-11-2008, 07:09 PM
There's no controversy, have Ben start

Sharkissle29
11-11-2008, 07:45 PM
There's no controversy, have Ben start

...you may be a bit too bias (with that name and sig)

revefsreleets
11-11-2008, 07:52 PM
The real question? Who runs this team?

Anyone with a brain can see that Ben is off his game, almost certainly due to repeatedly being hit and getting dinged up. If I'm the coach, and I'm in charge (notice I qualified the two separately?), I sit him for a week or two. But Ben has a HUGE say...Hell, he convinced Cowher to let him play when he wasn't healthy enough to do so.

If Ben starts, he's in charge. If Byron starts Tomlin is the coach and in charge.

My money is on Ben starting. What will probably happen is rather than have a semi-healthy Ben come playoff time, he'll be on the IR and we'll be forced to start Leftwich for the playoffs. That's backwards, of course, and it will have been easily avoidable, but, Hell, what do I know?

SteelMember
11-12-2008, 07:51 AM
It appears Tomlin is attempting to draw a line in the sand using practice time as the decision maker for who will start.

The Steelers should know earlier this week if Ben Roethlisberger will start at quarterback Sunday against San Diego. If he does not practice more often than he did last week, Byron Leftwich will start.

That was the message coach Mike Tomlin delivered in so many words at his news conference yesterday. He said he has a cutoff day for when he will determine if Roethlisberger will play or not.

"I do, but I'm going to remain hopeful and see where he is in the morning," Tomlin said yesterday. "Hopefully, he practices for us tomorrow."

"I think it's important that you practice and get physical reps," Tomlin said. "One of the things we've been dealing with because of his injury is short-term misery, if you will. When people are dealing with injuries such as his, you miss practice time. But they're veteran players, and you get them to the stadium and you play. But that's only a short-term solution."

In the long run, a quarterback who does not practice much loses his efficiency, Tomlin implied.

"The longer that goes on, you start to see issues come up with timing and cohesion," Tomlin said. "I think that's the spot that we're at at this point."

"This week is a new week," Tomlin said. "Some of the things that we've done in terms of getting him ready to play were short-term answers and solutions. The reality is, as we go on, we recognize the value of practice and what the physical reps mean to us as an offense. We'll live day to day and go through that process this week."

The shoulder injury also may be a reason Roethlisberger has not been effective running with the ball this season. He has 16 runs for 30 yards, many of them trying to avoid a sack, of which he has 28. Last season, he ran 35 times for 204 yards, second among AFC quarterbacks to Vince Young.

"He's aware of his health and what he means to us," Tomlin said. "I'm sure he's exercising a little bit more caution than what he did in the past."

I'm thinking Ben will need to particpate in practice today (Wed).

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08317/927139-66.stm

Rotorhead
11-12-2008, 08:06 AM
For the record, I think Ben only made one bad interception, it looked to me like Santo should have kept going on his interception, if he would have it would have been his ball. Obviously the last one was not Ben's fault. Having said that, I think he needs the reps, the timing and continuity with the receivers is lacking right now. He does need to get rid of it faster for sure and Arians needs to call a better game. The Oline could obviously do a better job, so basically it is the entire Offense that is an issue right now.

stlrtruck
11-12-2008, 08:42 AM

No there is no QB controversy.

If Ben can play he plays, Byron gets a shot if Ben becomes unable to play

Ben continues to play

Look Ben is our starting QB and we've got to take the good with the bad. Earlier this season it was all good and there was nothing but love for him. Now the past 3 games have shown a bad side and we're ready to bench him?

And this week when he goes for a perfect passer rating, or when his last minute heroics win the game, what will it be then?

You don't bench a QB like Ben who has been consistent more times than not just because he's had a rough stretch of road - we're not some 2nd tier team (ala browns) that are looking for a spark in their offense because they suck!

TackleMeBen
11-12-2008, 09:21 AM
we're not some 2nd tier team (ala browns) that are looking for a spark in their offense because they suck!

nor does our F/O really listen to the fans when they call for benching one qb for another..:chuckle:

i think its more mental with ben now. he knows that he isnt 100% and is trying to make up for it. maybe sitting him isnt a bad things, but i wouldnt want to be in tomlin's shoes having to make that decision.

Cape Cod Steel Head
11-12-2008, 09:33 AM
If Ben Is not 100% BENCH HIM until he heals.

TackleMeBen
11-12-2008, 09:36 AM
If Ben Is not 100% BENCH HIM until he heals.
so you want to bench him for the rest of the season? because that is probably what its going to take to get him healthy again. i dont think we can really afford that. i do believe now its more mental than physical with him. he knows how to play thru pain.