PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Parker set for Chargers

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-11-2008, 01:36 PM
Steelers' Parker set for Chargers
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Running back Willie Parker is expected to play Sunday despite a shoulder injury that sidelined him for the Steelers' 24-20 loss to the Colts. Parker rushed for 70 yards and a touchdown two weeks ago against the Redskins, but he hurt his shoulder in that game.

Barring a setback this week, the two-time Pro Bowler plans to play against the visiting Chargers.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin will address Parker's injury today at his weekly news conference. Parker has rushed for 333 yards and four touchdowns in four games this season. He's missed five of the Steelers' past six games because of knee and shoulder problems.

• The Steelers have signed safety Ryan Mundy to their practice squad. The Woodland Hills graduate takes the place of outside linebacker Donovon Woods, who was promoted to the 53-man roster last Saturday. Mundy, a sixth-round pick in last April's NFL Draft, sustained a high ankle sprain in the Steelers' first exhibition game. The injury limited him the rest of preseason and ended any chance the former Michigan and West Virginia standout had of making the 53-man roster.

• Tight end Heath Miller appears to be making a speedy recovery from the high ankle sprain that kept him out of the Steelers' game against the Colts. The fourth-year veteran is no longer wearing a protective boot on his right foot.

• Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger moved into second place Sunday on the Steelers' all-time passing list with 13,359 career yards. He trails only Terry Bradshaw (27,989) in that category.

Digits

8 -- Defensive end Aaron Smith's rank on the Steelers' all-time sacks list.

40.5 -- Sacks Smith has totaled during his career.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_597826.html

Edman
11-11-2008, 02:38 PM
The Steelers will go on a run. Starting with this game. We will beat the Chargers and start a winning streak. Having Willie back takes all the pressure off Ben and Memo, and we won't have to throw the ball 30-40 times a game. Maybe it's time to go back to 2006/7.

I believe.

The_WARDen
11-11-2008, 03:20 PM
I'll believe Willie's back when he plays multiple games at 20+ touches.

Big D
11-11-2008, 03:23 PM
I just hope he doesnt break a nail between now and sunday

randy06
11-11-2008, 04:05 PM
As long as we get back to Steeler football we will be fine

stlrtruck
11-11-2008, 04:18 PM
I'd be happy to get back in the flow of things with a healthy team. These injuries have cost us a few things during a game. I won't blame them on our losses but it does have an affect on the continuity of the individual units (offense, defense, and special teams)

Preacher
11-11-2008, 04:35 PM
You know, we need to win this game, lose three, then go on a run for the SB...

Just like old times! :chuckle:

HOnestly, I want to see the bleeding stop. However, until we get a bit healthier, I just don't know if it will.

memphissteelergirl
11-11-2008, 04:41 PM
I'd be happy to get back in the flow of things with a healthy team. These injuries have cost us a few things during a game. I won't blame them on our losses but it does have an affect on the continuity of the individual units (offense, defense, and special teams)

I'm with ya there.

As long as we get back to Steeler football we will be fine

Amen to that! I want to see that toughness in the offense again. The defense has no problems in that area, tho'.

rich4eagle
11-11-2008, 04:49 PM
You know, we need to win this game, lose three, then go on a run for the SB...

Just like old times! :chuckle:

HOnestly, I want to see the bleeding stop. However, until we get a bit healthier, I just don't know if it will.

Steelers need to win this game and put one or two more up behind it............else things can be well ............NOT GOOD:tt:

T.Richardson
11-11-2008, 05:11 PM
Parker will probably get 15 touches, We cant expect Parker who has been out a while to get 20+ touches. Parker and Moore will share touches.

This can help take the pressure off Ben, I fully expect Ben to throw 20-25 times, if not more possibly if the defense cant hold the San Diego offense. Remember San Diego is not a bad passing offense.

MillerMania83
11-11-2008, 07:19 PM
I'll believe Willie's back when he plays multiple games at 20+ touches.

Gotta agree with that, we need Fast Willie to get back and STAY BACK, then hopefully that will help "right the ship".

Galax Steeler
11-12-2008, 04:43 AM
Good to see him back hopefully we can establish the run on the chargers and take some pressure off of Ben there is no reason why we can't do this agaisnt the chargers.

revefsreleets
11-12-2008, 09:49 AM
This makes our offense better, no doubt about it...

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-12-2008, 10:01 AM
Steelers notes: Parker might play Sunday
By Mike Bires, Times Sports Staff
Published: Wednesday, November 12, 2008 12:01 AM EST

PITTSBURGH — For the time being, Willie Parker’s football attire will include a shoulder harness.

After missing Sunday’s game with a “shoulder subluxation” injury, he’s expected to play this Sunday when the Steelers (6-3) host the San Diego Chargers (4-5).

Despite a report by the NFL Network that Parker had suffered a torn labrum in the Nov. 3 win over the Washington Redskins, the injury was actually a temporary partial dislocation.

So the Steelers’ running back won’t need off-season surgery, and it doesn’t appear he’ll be sidelined for an extended period of time as the NFL Network reported.

“The shoulder popped out briefly during the course of the Redskins game and it popped back into place,” Tomlin said, denying the NFL Network report. “Adrenaline or what have you didn't allow him to recognize it during the course of game.

“He came in (last) Tuesday, took a look at it and of course it was very painful. We weren’t able to let him (play) last week. It’s our intentions of letting him go in practice this week and play for us this weekend.”

Parker, a Pro Bowl all-star last year when he surpassed 1,000 rushing yards for the third straight season, has only played in four games so far. He also missed four games with a sprained knee.

“We’re fitting (Willie) with a shoulder harness similar to the one (free safety) Ryan Clark is wearing,” Tomlin said. “Essentially, what happened to him is the same thing that happened to Ryan Clark. Ryan Clark missed a week, came back and played for us and played pretty good football. We’re hopeful that Willie is capable of doing the same thing.”

As far as Parker’s knee?

“The knee is a non issue,” Tomlin said. “The knee is well.”

STEELERS SIGN CB

With two of their top cornerbacks out for Sunday’s game against the San Diego Chargers, the Steelers signed Fernando Bryant today.

Bryant, 31, is a 10th-year pro who spent five seasons with the Jacksonville Jaguars (1999-03) and four seasons with the Detroit Lions (2004-2007). He was in the New England Patriots’ training camp this summer, but didn’t survive the final cut.

Today at his weekly press conference, coach Mike Tomlin said that Deshea Townsend would miss Sunday’s game after suffering a hamstring injury in this past Sunday’s loss to the Indianapolis Colts.

Bryant McFadden is still out with a broken arm.

In all likelihood, second-year pro William Gay will replace Townsend in the starting lineup against the Chargers (4-5).

We worked Fernando out a couple of weeks ago, had a very good workout. We wanted to be prepared a couple of weeks ago to have a name to go to. It did happen. We were able to get him. He got here last night. He’s in here today trying to learn in a hurry. We feel optimistic about his ability to do that. He’s a sharp guy. He’s a veteran football player. He’ll spend some time with out staff big-time today and tomorrow and start the practice process and hopefully, he’ll be able to help us this weekend.

The Steelers (6-3) made room on their roster for Bryant by releasing rookie linebacker Donovan Woods.

Bryant will wear uniform No. 31.

MARVEL MAY RETURN

After missing four games with backs spasms, left tackle Marvel Smith could be back this week.

Smith showed significant progress Monday and Tuesday when working out with a team trainer and could be back to practice today.

“He’s missed some time. Not only in terms of health, but technically he’s got to be up to speed,” Tomlin said. “He’s got to knock the rust off quickly if he's going to play for us this weekend.”

Max Starks has started the past four games at left tackle.

In other injury news, linebacker LaMarr Woodley is expected back at practice after missing the Colts game with a calf injury.

But tight end Heath Miller will miss his second straight game with a sprained ankle.

TOMLIN DEFENDS ARIANS

Over the past two days, disgruntled fans have been critical of some of the play calls by offensive coordinator Bruce Arians in Sunday’s loss to the Colts.

In particular, Arians has been getting ripped for not calling a running play with 1:30 left in the first half on a third-and-2 call from the Steelers’ 16-yard line.

Instead, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger threw an interception that paved the way for Peyton Manning to throw a touchdown pass that cut the Steelers lead to 17-14.

“We were backed up inside (our own 20-yard line),” Tomlin said. “We had a new punter (in Paul Ernster). We were concerned about attempting to punt backed up in those circumstances. Even if we did execute a punt, we were giving Indy a short field.

“It was my goal and desire not to give them the football back. I didn’t want them to get any points. Had we punted that ball, you’re pretty much assured that Peyton Manning has a chance to get a field goal at the end of the half with a minute or so with some change and 50 to 55 yards of field. That was the intentions at that point.”

Tomlin also absolved Arians of any blame for calling the same running play on second-and-goal from the 1 and third-and-goal from the 1 in the fourth quarter.

Both times, running back Mewelde Moore was stopped for no gain. So on fourth down, the Steelers kicked a field goal to make it 20-17.

“If you’re going to be a good football team and have the personality that we strive for, in those instances you’ve got to be committed to and capable of running the football over people and running it into the end zone,” Tomlin said.

“They knew what we were going to do and we scored two sequences prior to that. And actually, on the second one Mewelde went in standing up. I see no reason why we were not capable of doing that again provided we had quality execution. We executed on the play in the earlier two instances and we didn’t on the later two instances.”

When asked if he had final say on those calls, Tomlin said, “I have final say on the plays that go in on all three phases.”

http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2008/11/12/sports/steelers/doc491a5bd538c13214660475.txt

italiansteeler
11-12-2008, 10:05 AM
Taking into consideration that Ben's just 26, his passing stats are at least impressive.

steelreserve
11-13-2008, 02:16 AM
Parker will probably get 15 touches, We cant expect Parker who has been out a while to get 20+ touches. Parker and Moore will share touches.

Are you kidding? Parker and Moore NEVER share touches. Parker never shares touches with anyone. Unless he's critically injured, our coaches insist that our running game is Parker-or-nothing. Expect Parker to get 20+ carries regardless of whether or not he's effective, and Moore to get 1 or 2.

lilyoder6
11-13-2008, 03:33 AM
i think that they will use moore more on the passing situations.. but rushing att will be low

gates_85
11-13-2008, 03:33 AM
I know LT has had a horrible year and the Chargers defense has been horrible but Rivera the new DC was the 2003-2006 Bears DC that took them to the superbowl. So what if the Chargers finally play at the high level that they were expected and who can match up with Malcolm Floyd? You lost to a colts team that the chargers beat with there back up qb last year. The chargers are the last team to beat the titans in the playoffs. If Ted Cotrell was the cancer and the chargers got rid of them are you so confident that your gonna win this game.

If the chargers lose this game they are not gonna win the afc the broncos will. To the chargers this is a playoff game. Dont count them out so fast, in the begining of the year almost all the experts picked them to win the superbowl.

tony hipchest
11-13-2008, 10:02 AM
yep. this game will have the playoff intensity like the steelers vs. colts, vs. the giants, and the steelers game vs. the jags in last years playoffs. all 3 games ben had atleast 3 int's and still had the ball in his hand to win it at the end of the game.

as long as ben doesnt have 3 int or 4 fumbles, we will win.

DACEB
11-13-2008, 10:23 AM
Are you kidding? Parker and Moore NEVER share touches. Parker never shares touches with anyone. Unless he's critically injured, our coaches insist that our running game is Parker-or-nothing. Expect Parker to get 20+ carries regardless of whether or not he's effective, and Moore to get 1 or 2.

This is what bothers the hell out of me. Why is it that the team works rotations in other areas but seamingly refuse to do so at RB. I thought for sure that, with the way MeMo was playing and with FWP returning from injury, they would have split more of the carries in the Wash. game. Nope, they basically ignored MeMo on offense and ran FWP 'til he got injured. I know injuries happen, but atleast give the guy a game back before you run him 20+ times. It's not like MeMo was hurting the offense when he was in there.

Not only that, but it seems we don't throw to FWP out of the backfield like we do with MeMo. And nothing against FWP, but MeMo has proven to be a much better 3rd down back than FWP. He has done a very good job blocking, chipping and his awareness on 3rd down is very good.

I'm extremely happy to have FWP back, but let's not lose sight of the fact that we need both these guys down the stretch. And the fact that each guy has their spot in certain situations.