PDA

View Full Version : Steelers sign Fernando Bryant

SteelersTilIDie
11-11-2008, 04:20 PM
The Steelers signed CB Fernando Bryant, who was a first round pick in '99, played with the Jags, Lions, and Pats. Solid corner who could play nickel this week as Deshea is out.

tony hipchest
11-11-2008, 04:25 PM
yeah, good move. the jets beat us by signing ty law.

we needed to do something.

T.Richardson
11-11-2008, 04:28 PM
Bryant is a good vetern CB who can fill in for anyone on this roster. I think this was a good move, next to Law, I think he was the best free agent corner.

Rhee Rhee
11-11-2008, 05:30 PM
how good can someone really be when he got cut from the patriots and their sorry DB squad...

tony hipchest
11-11-2008, 05:34 PM
how good can someone really be when he got cut from the patriots and their sorry DB squad...suggestions or alternatives are welcome.

paw-n-maul-u
11-11-2008, 05:47 PM
whatever, pats secondary has been fine the last couple years ... samuel, harrison, now merriweather, and gay always seemed to make a play here or their. Bryant is fine for a third corner that is a fourth corner or cut when deshea returns

I still don't think mike tomlin has "his guy" at corner. sometime in the near future he is going to spend a big pick on a guy he falls in love with at DB, being a secondary coach and all, i just feel it.

Rhee Rhee
11-11-2008, 05:50 PM
suggestions or alternatives are welcome.

1. duane starks
2. andre woolfork

Rhee Rhee
11-11-2008, 05:52 PM
I still don't think mike tomlin has "his guy" at corner. sometime in the near future he is going to spend a big pick on a guy he falls in love with at DB, being a secondary coach and all, i just feel it.

i thought from day one tomlin declared Ike "his guy" but w/e

i was convinced that guy was darelle revis.. there are some good corners this year and this FS class is DEEEP

revefsreleets
11-11-2008, 06:46 PM
There was a time when this would have been a HUGE signing.

This is not that time.

Dudes just a guy they bring in who can play a little assignment DB: Stay in position and don't get smoked.

steelpride12
11-11-2008, 06:49 PM
Solid pick up and someone who should be able to play the nickel package well while Townsend heals up.

The Duke
11-11-2008, 06:57 PM
Gay and Ike should be fine, and this guy is a 10 year veteran so hopefully he can understand the defense fast

Gonna have to blitz Rivers a lot this sunday

TheWarDen86
11-11-2008, 07:07 PM
suggestions or alternatives are welcome.

I just heard the Jets released Justin Miller. I wonder if it's worth taking a look at him?

kmsteelerwr15
11-11-2008, 07:37 PM
I just heard the Jets released Justin Miller. I wonder if it's worth taking a look at him?

ya and i think he can return kicks but i like the signing it jus adds more depth to our great Defense

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-11-2008, 07:37 PM

Justin Miller is the guy I wanted instead of Heath Miller (good thing I am not a GM) back in the 05 draft. I think his off field issues are the real problem....otherwise he is a great return man and good cover corner.

I'm OK with Bryant while Townsend is injured. I really dont know if William Gay should be the starter, but he might be able to handle Jackson.

ShutDown24
11-11-2008, 08:00 PM
I love the move.

ricksteelers55
11-11-2008, 10:28 PM
Im even happier now that ive heard that we signed Ryan Mundy to our practice squad
:) i have faith in that kid

randy06
11-12-2008, 01:45 AM
Eh, it adds depth and experience which is nice, we shall see how he plays.

Galax Steeler
11-12-2008, 03:34 AM
Bryant should be ok we didn't have many options so he will have to do hopefully he can learn our deffense in a hurry and be ready for sunday.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-12-2008, 08:42 AM
Steelers ink cornerback Bryant
By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The Steelers signed cornerback Fernando Bryant after ruling Bryant McFadden (hand) and Deshea Townsend (hamstring) out of Sunday's game against San Diego. The 5-foot-10, 174-pound Bryant is a former first-round pick (1999) of the Jacksonville Jaguars and spent the past two seasons in Detroit, where he started 16 games in 2007.

"We worked Fernando out a couple of weeks ago," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said. "He got in here last night. He's in the building trying to learn in a hurry. He's a sharp guy, a veteran football player. Hopefully, he'll be able to help us this weekend."

Linebacker Donovan Woods was released to make room for Bryant on the 53-man roster. Tomlin said Woods would be re-signed to the practice squad if he clears waivers.

Running back Willie Parker (shoulder) is scheduled to practice today. Tomlin described Parker's injury as a shoulder subluxation.

"The shoulder popped out briefly during the course of the Redskins game (on Nov. 3) and popped back into place," Tomlin said. "We're fitting him with a shoulder harness similar to the one (safety) Ryan Clark is wearing. Essentially, what happened to (Parker) is the same thing that happened to Ryan Clark. Ryan Clark missed a week, came back and played pretty good football. We're hopeful Willie's capable of doing the same thing."

Offensive tackle Marvel Smith (back) will "potentially" practice this week, Tomlin said. Tight end Heath Miller (ankle) is "questionable at best" for San Diego. Linebacker LaMarr Woodley (calf) "at the latest" will be on the practice field Thursday. Smith has missed four consecutive starts and won't be rubber-stamped back into the starting lineup.

"He has to show us quite a bit, he's missed some time," Tomlin said. "Not only in terms of health, but technically, he has to be up to speed. He has to knock the rust off quickly if he's going to play for us this weekend."

The Steelers have fallen to No. 26 overall in total offense after ranking 25th for three consecutive weeks. They remain No. 1 in total defense for the fourth consecutive week. The 95.8 passer rating posted by Colts quarterback Peyton Manning in Sunday's 24-20 victory was the highest against the team this season. Manning's three touchdown passes also were a season-high against the Steelers, who had allowed six scoring passes in their previous eight games.

Digits

2 -- Consecutive games against the Steelers in which Chargers tight end Antonio Gates has caught a touchdown pass.

4 -- Consecutive games in which Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers has thrown for at least two touchdowns.

106.3 -- Passer rating for Rivers, leading the AFC.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_597937.html

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-12-2008, 12:05 PM
Im even happier now that ive heard that we signed Ryan Mundy to our practice squad
:) i have faith in that kid

Me Too. I'll also like when B-Mac is back, Bryant released and Donovan Woods is re-signed.

Really liking the ST coverage that Bailey, Woods, Madison bring.

T.Richardson
11-12-2008, 05:00 PM
Steelers need Mcfadden back, I believe he is the Steelers best Corner.

Preacher
11-12-2008, 05:05 PM
He is brought in to add depth, nothing else.

No real reason to get excited about him, no real reason to be upset by us getting him.

Steelman16
11-12-2008, 11:14 PM
This is kind of a "whatever" move, but I'm glad we addresses it regardless.

Hopefully he just goes out and plays similar to how Deshea plays, and doesn't get smoked. It won't be fun watching Rivers get all yappy because he threw a 70 yard TD pass against the Steelers.

And speaking of "Yap" Rivers, I hope James and Lamarr slap that punk into the dirt more than a few times come Sunday. I can't stand his arrogant little self!

The Duke
11-12-2008, 11:33 PM
And speaking of "Yap" Rivers, I hope James and Lamarr slap that punk into the dirt more than a few times come Sunday. I can't stand his arrogant little self!

Oh yeah Rivers, had forgotten about him

He better stay quiet for his own good :helmet:

I have a mental picture of all four linebackers slamming him into the ground. Hope it happens, lol :tt:

lilyoder6
11-13-2008, 02:35 AM
with 2 cbs out we did need some depth.. b/c behind gay was ??? idk if madison is still on the team but..

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-13-2008, 10:42 AM
I still hope the Steelers look into Justin Miller later. Young guy, pro bowl returner, good cover guy that was hampered by injury and that one assault charge from a night club incident.

Just saying that if McFadden cant be resigned, Ike, Townsend, Miller and a rookie CB next season might be a good situation.

The Duke
11-13-2008, 01:33 PM
I still hope the Steelers look into Justin Miller later. Young guy, pro bowl returner, good cover guy that was hampered by injury and that one assault charge from a night club incident.

Just saying that if McFadden cant be resigned, Ike, Townsend, Miller and a rookie CB next season might be a good situation.

Miller was signed by the raiders I believe

And what I hear from jets fans is he sucked at CB and isn't that good at returns as he was before

Hey, and you forgot to mention Gay. What you don't like him? ( no pun intended :chuckle:)

STEELtownHAVOX
11-13-2008, 02:42 PM
we should have signed D. Hall...haha jk, i'm content with F. Bryant

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-14-2008, 03:09 PM
Miller was signed by the raiders I believe

And what I hear from jets fans is he sucked at CB and isn't that good at returns as he was before

Hey, and you forgot to mention Gay. What you don't like him? ( no pun intended :chuckle:)

Miller was having a good preseason until he got injured. He is still a young kid and I think could be a reclamation project in the right place. He has speed and shown great man cover skills, which is why the Raiders probably took him. They should ruin his career over there.

I like Gay as a nickel corner and a guy that plays good positional CB. He doesnt have the flat out speed to stay with WR's which was evident when 36 year old Marvin Harrison beat him on sunday, but Clark dislodged the ball in the end zone. Gay can probably stay with Vincent Jackson, but I think Chambers and Floyd can flat outrun him.

MJ5150
11-14-2008, 07:42 PM
i was convinced that guy was darelle revis..

I thought the same thing.

I don't have the list of free agent CB's in front of me, it's just embarassing to me when we sign someone elses trash. I always feel this way when another player gets cut, and then people start saying how we should go sign them.

-Mike