PDA

View Full Version : Mewelde Moore Could Put Willie Parker Out of a Job

mesaSteeler
11-12-2008, 07:11 AM
Mewelde Moore Could Put Willie Parker Out of a Job
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/80325-mewelde-moore-could-put-willie-parker-out-of-a-job
by Eddie Rossell (Scribe)
November 11, 2008

"Fast" Willie Parker is exactly what his nickname states: fast. He has been to the Pro Bowl twice in his four-year career with the Pittsburgh Steelers and has the record for the longest run in Super Bowl history of 75 yards. He was the Steelers MVP in 2005 and helped lead his team to a Super Bowl victory in that same season.

But "Fast Willie" has not played in at least four games so far this year and has been a tremendous loss for a team that has been riddled with injuries, especially at the running back position.

First round pick Rashard Mendenhall was supposed to carry the load with Parker out, but an injury ended his season. This left Carey Davis, a fullback, to take the starting role, only until he too was injured.

Enter Mewelde Moore. He was once our fourth-string running back and is now a starter. He has not started over Willie Parker, just in place of him, but he has been a great boost for the offense.

Utilized more in the return and passing game rather than rushing, Moore was a little underappreciated when he was with the Vikings. He had potential, and Mike Tomlin saw it while coaching in Minnesota, which is probably why the Steelers picked him up. And he has a been one tremendous backup, out-rushing Parker after both have had four starts.

In Willie Parker's four starts, he has 333 yards on 87 attempts for a 3.8 yards per carry average and four touchdowns. But Willie did not catch any passes during that time.

In Moore's four starts this season, he has 377 yards on 93 attempts for a 4.1 yards per carry average and five touchdowns. Mewelde has also been bigger in the passer attack than Parker has. He has caught 22 passes for 171 yards and a score.

The numbers also cannot show how much better of a runner Mewelde seems to be than Parker. Willie tries to run up the middle when he should bounce it to the outside and try to get around the corner, where his speed can flourish.

Moore seems to know exactly what kind of runs he should make, quick cuts to both the inside and outside that result in nice gains for the offense. One will often see Mewelde Moore exploding through holes and picking up first downs.

He has a little bit of power, but not much, considering that goal line stand the Colts had against the Steelers when he ran it up the gut three straight times and was stuffed all three times.

Honestly, I have no qualms about letting Mewlede Moore be the premier back in Pittsburgh. If he is going to produce more than Parker and help the Steelers get to the Super Bowl, then I would not have a problem with him taking over the starting role.

I think that if Mewelde Moore continues to play great and even improves, he could have a future with the Steelers.

vasteeler
11-12-2008, 07:35 AM
yeah right now i kind of like Moore over parker myself

mesaSteeler
11-12-2008, 07:46 AM
Should we consider a trade next year of any of our RBs to get an O-Lineman?

fansince'76
11-12-2008, 07:48 AM
Moore seems to know exactly what kind of runs he should make, quick cuts to both the inside and outside that result in nice gains for the offense. One will often see Mewelde Moore exploding through holes and picking up first downs.

Yeah, he looked great getting stuffed by a defense that pretty much every other team that has faced it has been able to run hog wild against. I wouldn't push Parker down the depth chart just yet.

HometownGal
11-12-2008, 07:59 AM
I'm with Gary on this one. While I think MeMo has done a great job as the starting RB in FWP's absence, I'm not willing to throw Willie under the bus or even consider trading him at this point. I think both backs have a lot of talent and different styles that could benefit the Steelers running game so why not keep them both and utilize them each in different schemes?

stillers4me
11-12-2008, 08:23 AM
Very true, HTG. But What happens when Mendenhall is back next year. Can we keep all 3?

Glace
11-12-2008, 08:25 AM
Superbowl:
Lightning = Willie Parker
Thunder = Jerome Bettis

Now:
Lightning = Willie Parker / Mewelde Moore
Thunder = ??????????????

We gotta find the Thunder. Don't care what anybody says. We need to find a good "big back"

And for God's sake...get us a real Fullback!!! Never should have let Kreider go!

stlrtruck
11-12-2008, 08:44 AM
I don't know what Moore he was watching but there were plenty of plays this season, let alone the last game, that if Moore had cut it to the outside, we'd be sitting at 7-2.

Glace
11-12-2008, 09:07 AM
I don't know what Moore he was watching but there were plenty of plays this season, let alone the last game, that if Moore had cut it to the outside, we'd be sitting at 7-2.

If Bettis was still playing we'd be at 7-2 because he wouldn't have been stuffed at the goal line 3 times.

Dear Mike Tomlin - Get us a BIG BACK!

Edman
11-12-2008, 09:16 AM
Mewelde was guilty of many things people jump on Willie's back for against the Clots. Getting stuffed and lack of vision. By one of the league's worst run defenses no less.

Willie would've cut that run to the outside and dove into the endzone, where there was plenty of space.

I wouldn't throw Willie out just yet.

Michael Keller
11-12-2008, 09:38 AM

Absolutely;

Sincerely I love Willie Parker but my hope is that he will finish the season strong and FW will be very marketable and we go get an experienced quality offensive line man.

The Steelers need a power running back like Jacobs from the Giants and L. White from the Titans. I know we are not going to get either one of these players but what I am suggesting is lets look for a big back that can get the tough yardage and pound the defense on sustaining drives. I do not think we can build a power running game in one year but give it two years but lets commit to getting it done.

I haven"t forgotten about Mendenhall but I am not sure he is a POWER back . There is nothing wrong with having a NEW true power back and Mendenhall and Moore on the roster.

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
11-12-2008, 10:42 AM
If Bettis was still playing we'd be at 7-2 because he wouldn't have been stuffed at the goal line 3 times.

Here's an idea, fake to Moore, hand off to a REAL fullback = touchdown!:tt:

JEFF4i
11-12-2008, 10:46 AM
What about Mendenhall out for an O-Line, or a BIG BACK.

I like the guy, but if I had to choose two, its Parker and Moore. Parker is lightning fast, and smart. Moore has really good hands, and great for plays like the play-action pass.

Steeldude
11-12-2008, 11:00 AM
What about Mendenhall out for an O-Line, or a BIG BACK.

I like the guy, but if I had to choose two, its Parker and Moore. Parker is lightning fast, and smart. Moore has really good hands, and great for plays like the play-action pass.

trading mendenhall would be a very good idea. he serves no need and i believe there are plenty of gullible teams that would trade a late 1st round pick or a high 2nd rounder for him. i am all for trading parker too. the steelers need an O-line. they also need a decent O-line coach.

steelpride12
11-12-2008, 11:09 AM
Now against the Colts our run games was not their with Moore as our starting against a poor run D and Parker has pretty good games against them.
Parker is not going anywhere and next season i could see them being a one two punch, but as far as Mendy im not sure.

Dizzle43
11-12-2008, 11:18 AM
We weren't thinking about trading Parker when he was leading the league in rushing after 15 games last season. Moore is a recieving back and not a running back. He's not going to start over Willie. No way. No how.

steelreserve
11-12-2008, 11:21 AM
I've got to say I was less a lot less impressed with Moore after last week's effort. I absolutely cringed when I saw him get Parkered at the goal line twice in a row toward the end of the game.

Still think he's been a step up overall, if nothing else because he catches more passes. As far as I'm concerned, keep Moore and Mendenhall next year, and cut Parker from the team. Even though Moore did not have a good game game, Parker does that about a third of the time too -- and when he does, I have never seen the running game fail more miserably. His bad games are so bad that it screws up the entire offense. That's something that does not happen as much with other backs, and we cannot afford it, period.

Glace
11-12-2008, 11:21 AM
I don't want to see FWP get traded or cut...no way.

He just needs a compliment. Bettis was the perfect compliment to him. Beat the defense with a bruiser, then willie looks that much faster blowing past tired defenders.

After what I've seen this season, you will NEVER argue to me that we don't need a fullback the caliber of Dan Kreider.

tyler289
11-12-2008, 11:55 AM
Gotta love people saying we should trade our first round pick, who looked fine before a shoulder injury ended his season early.

JEFF4i
11-12-2008, 11:58 AM
That's my thing, Willie is a brilliant back. He is fast, he's had a rough year with injuries that stemmed from last year, but he'll get back in it.

Injuries have been our plague with it, and the reason we are still ranked #3 in the NFL by some publications is the ability to play through it, and not to let go of what the Steelers are.

Dino 6 Rings
11-12-2008, 12:27 PM

technically, he may have been. Or he could have fumbled. Cough Cough Colts Game.

A quick inside handoff to the Fullback would have worked, and had Ben not been nursing a sore shoulder, I imagine a QB sneak would have been called.

devilsdancefloor
11-12-2008, 12:34 PM
MeMo has been really really good filling in for willie. But that is what MeMo has been good at during his whole carreer. He is a few games here and there starter he cant carry the load for a whole year. And we are not going to trade anyone of our backs that is insane to think that. yes i would love to see another big back in our backfield, but the bus was very special and those types of backs are hard to find.

MACH1
11-12-2008, 12:34 PM
Lets put Big Snack in there to pound the ball on the goal line. :noidea:

Dino 6 Rings
11-12-2008, 12:35 PM

I think they tried that in practice and one of the linebackers smashed in his skull and he decided he wasn't a fan of doing that anymore.

ricksteelers55
11-12-2008, 12:43 PM
The guy that could be a good powerback and is available is Michael Bush from the Raiders.He hasnt been very productive since the DMac injury but he was putting good numbers in the beginning of the season.

he's healthy and would be a good fit in the black n gold + he's good at catching the ball so that would make Mewelde expendable.

and im sure that we could get him for almost nothing.

The Duke
11-12-2008, 02:58 PM
The guy that could be a good powerback and is available is Michael Bush from the Raiders.He hasnt been very productive since the DMac injury but he was putting good numbers in the beginning of the season.

he's healthy and would be a good fit in the black n gold + he's good at catching the ball so that would make Mewelde expendable.

and im sure that we could get him for almost nothing.

yeah, he'd sure look good in B&G for league minimum :chuckle:

lol, making moore expendable? Wow, one average game and you want to get rid of him already

And Willie is not going to lose his job any time soon. He's faced some injuries through this past 11 games, but he's been pretty healthy in his career.

Preacher
11-12-2008, 03:13 PM
Honestly, this whole thing is a joke.

What have we learned the last two years? 2 things.

1. Running backs are a necessity for winning a football game. Furthermore, it only takes a freak accident to be down 1 or 2 backs. So you keep all three. BTW, when MeMo stops being the starting back, he goes back to returning kicks, which we desperately need.

2. When the OL isn't working, it doesn't matter if you have jerome Bettis or Mickey Mouse in the backfield. You're not going anywhere.

LVSteelersfan
11-12-2008, 03:34 PM
I've got to say I was less a lot less impressed with Moore after last week's effort. I absolutely cringed when I saw him get Parkered at the goal line twice in a row toward the end of the game.

Still think he's been a step up overall, if nothing else because he catches more passes. As far as I'm concerned, keep Moore and Mendenhall next year, and cut Parker from the team. Even though Moore did not have a good game game, Parker does that about a third of the time too -- and when he does, I have never seen the running game fail more miserably. His bad games are so bad that it screws up the entire offense. That's something that does not happen as much with other backs, and we cannot afford it, period.

What the heck does Moore need to do to impress some people? HE HAD TWO TDs PEOPLE. Give me a freakin' break. That getting stuffed at the goal line was not Moore's fault. It was the Oline. Would you people get a freakin clue here?

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-12-2008, 03:35 PM
Parker is under contract for one more season next year. I bet he goes to free agency after that and it will then be Mendenhall, Moore and whoever in 2010.

The Mendenhall pick was just smart future succession planning. Unlike what has been done with the O-line in the past.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-12-2008, 03:40 PM
2. When the OL isn't working, it doesn't matter if you have jerome Bettis or Mickey Mouse in the backfield. You're not going anywhere.

:applaudit:

Well said Preach!! When the OL is working, it doesnt matter if you have Barry Foster, Erric Peagram, Bam Morris or Mewelde Moore back there.......you get yards!!

I'm an O line optimist, but Kemo has to make that block on the goal line, Darnell Stapleton gets no push in the run game and Freeney made Starks look silly in pass protection. I hope we win it all, but my educated guess is an early playoff exit and a lot of O-line attention in free agency and the draft.

Preacher
11-12-2008, 03:44 PM

Well said Preach!! When the OL is working, it doesnt matter if you have Barry Foster, Erric Peagram, Bam Morris or Mewelde Moore back there.......you get yards!!

I'm an O line optimist, but Kemo has to make that block on the goal line, Darnell Stapleton gets no push in the run game and Freeney made Starks look silly in pass protection. I hope we win it all, but my educated guess is an early playoff exit and a lot of O-line attention in free agency and the draft.

Yep.

My Steelers-homerism says we win it all... like we will every year!!!!

My down to earth assessment is that we are out in the first or second round.

I will continue to hope and scream for my homerism though!!

SCSTILLER
11-12-2008, 03:45 PM

Got to agree with you on this on Preach. It seemed like there was a Colt d-lineman in Moore's face before he even got the handoff. Our Oline was getting no push on that series, and it cost us.

I am one to say that we do need a true full back. If I remember right, didn't Parker say that he wanted Dan Kreider back because he liked running behind him.

Also, look at the amount of carries that Parker had last year and the year before. Heck, even a Corvette will break down with alot of miles on it. Keep Moore and Parker and Mendy, one heck of three headed snake that we will need in the future.

Steeldude
11-12-2008, 03:47 PM
i think people are forgetting that if there is no hole then the RB isn't going far. i don't see parker doing much better than moore did in the colts' game.

on the 4th goal when moore was stuffed, didn't kemo fall down? i can't remember exactly.

Steeldude
11-12-2008, 03:49 PM
Honestly, this whole thing is a joke.

oops, i posted too soon. i didn't realize someone already stated that fact :wave:

Preacher
11-12-2008, 03:59 PM
oops, i posted too soon. i didn't realize someone already stated that fact :wave:

:chuckle:

No prob. Great Minds Think Alike................... and so do ours. :thumbsup:

drizze99
11-12-2008, 04:23 PM
I think we to stop worrying about the RB's and get the O-line fixed. All of our backs are more than capable of being 1,000 yard backs IMO.

SteelersTilIDie
11-12-2008, 04:24 PM
Now:
Thunder = ??????????????

I wouldn't consider Mewelde lightning, more in the middle because he isn't that fast and is semi-powerful.

Preacher
11-12-2008, 05:44 PM
Seriously,

If we get that line fixed, I could see us having 2..hey, maybe even 3 backs with 1000 yard seasons.

WOW, could you imagine that? Talk about life imitating EA sports...

T.Richardson
11-12-2008, 05:53 PM
Moore isnt a great RB, he is good, but he never bounces to the outside, or can be elusive, Parker can run to the outside with his speed, and he usually never tries to bulldoze his way through the middle like Moore does. Parker will stay as a starter until he stops porducing yards. But they should keep moore, he is a great back up, and can return kicks.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-12-2008, 06:06 PM
Seriously,

If we get that line fixed, I could see us having 2..hey, maybe even 3 backs with 1000 yard seasons.

Getting 5 great O linemen will not drastically improve the running game. There will continue to be 8-man fronts to run against.

Until our QB, WR's and offensive coaches develop a way to make teams pay for putting 8 men in the box and blitzing........they will continue to see the same stuff.

Preacher
11-12-2008, 06:07 PM
Getting 5 great O linemen will not drastically improve the running game. There will continue to be 8-man fronts to run against.

Until our QB, WR's and offensive coaches develop a way to make teams pay for putting 8 men in the box and blitzing........they will continue to see the same stuff.

OH, I disagree. 8 man fronts opens up passing lanes.

It all starts with the line.

19ward86
11-12-2008, 06:27 PM
We do need the big bruiser back to make a powerful running game. We could utilize 3 guys in our run game instead of 1 or even 2.

skinart82
11-12-2008, 06:43 PM

FINALLY Somebody else that thinks like I do! Hell imagine putting Woodley in at goal line situations!

steelwall
11-12-2008, 07:07 PM
I don't want to see FWP get traded or cut...no way.

He just needs a compliment. Bettis was the perfect compliment to him. Beat the defense with a bruiser, then willie looks that much faster blowing past tired defenders.

After what I've seen this season, you will NEVER argue to me that we don't need a fullback the caliber of Dan Kreider.

Amen to that:thumbsup:

HometownGal
11-12-2008, 10:35 PM
Very true, HTG. But What happens when Mendenhall is back next year. Can we keep all 3?

Good point, stillers. I'm just not willing at this point to entertain the thought of trading FWP or sending him packing. He does seem to be injury-prone and that may be taken into consideration by the coaching staff in the off-season - who knows? :noidea:

Tankus_Maximus
11-13-2008, 12:05 AM
Superbowl:
Lightning = Willie Parker
Thunder = Jerome Bettis

Now:
Thunder = ??????????????

We gotta find the Thunder. Don't care what anybody says. We need to find a good "big back"

And for God's sake...get us a real Fullback!!! Never should have let Kreider go!

It doesn't matter who the Fullback is, if the O-Line aint fixed!!

I'm all for tradin either MeMo or FWP for an All-Pro-Bowl Hog!

jjpro11
11-13-2008, 01:30 AM
willie was awesome before he got hurt.. i think our run blocking has actually improved since parker has been out, so i wouldnt be surprised if parker played even better... especially now that he has a guy breathing down his neck ready to take touches away.

Steelman16
11-13-2008, 01:40 AM
willie was awesome before he got hurt.. i think our run blocking has actually improved since parker has been out, so i wouldnt be surprised if parker played even better... especially now that he has a guy breathing down his neck ready to take touches away.

Yeah, I agree. When Willie is healthy, there's no question he's the better back. The only reason we're even considering his job to be in jeopordy is because of the rash of injuries.

Then again, maybe if Parker doesn't get hurt, maybe we don't find the gem we have in Moore.

But, regardless, MeMo won't put Parker out of a job.

Galax Steeler
11-13-2008, 05:14 AM
I don't see Parker going anywhere else either they might let russell go but I think we keep Mendenhall,Parker and Moore.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
11-13-2008, 07:44 AM

I think we should consider a trade.. There is no reason to have Parker, Mendenhall, and Moore on the roster. (besides during this current state of injury prone steeler players:noidea:).

With that said, Parker produced for us, so this does not mean that parker is the one we will have to trade. We could trade Moore, we already have parker locked up for a long term deal and Moore will want the jackpot if he keeps producing..

Steelers-Shaun
11-13-2008, 08:29 AM
I think Moore has better field vision than parker, and doesnt seem to just bounce off defenders like roomba vac parker. Moore actually has SOME (nothing like the bus) penetration. I'm just glad we are using russell for returns instead of risking injury to Moore by him doing it like we had been. I thought that was very stupid and could have gone real bad.

stlrtruck
11-13-2008, 09:02 AM
I think Moore has better field vision than parker, and doesnt seem to just bounce off defenders like roomba vac parker. Moore actually has SOME (nothing like the bus) penetration. I'm just glad we are using russell for returns instead of risking injury to Moore by him doing it like we had been. I thought that was very stupid and could have gone real bad.

You mean like the penetration he had on 3 straight tries on the goal line against the colts? I like Moore but he doesn't see the field better than Parker. He had several plays against the colts (even the ones at the goal line) that had he seen the field he would have known to bounce it to the outside and he would have walked into the endzone.

tony hipchest
11-13-2008, 09:54 AM
You mean like the penetration he had on 3 straight tries on the goal line against the colts? I like Moore but he doesn't see the field better than Parker. He had several plays against the colts (even the ones at the goal line) that had he seen the field he would have known to bounce it to the outside and he would have walked into the endzone.1st and goal at the 5- moore 4 yd gain
2nd and goal at the 1- moore stuffed for no gain
3rd and goal at the 1- moore stuffed for no gain

he had 2 shots at the goaline and his prior 3 or 4 runs that even got them down into and through the red zone all gained more than 4 yards.

GBMelBlount
11-13-2008, 10:00 AM
It doesn't matter who the Fullback is, if the O-Line aint fixed!!

I'm all for tradin either MeMo or FWP for an All-Pro-Bowl Hog!

The main obstacle to a serious chance at the ring this year is simply our O-line imo.

DACEB
11-13-2008, 10:27 AM
Plain and simple, we need both these guys to go all the way.

1st string, 2nd string....1a, 1b....3rd down back. Who cares, as long as each is used to their strengths to help the team win.

STEELtownHAVOX
11-13-2008, 10:30 AM
Plain and simple, we need both these guys to go all the way.

1st string, 2nd string....1a, 1b....3rd down back. Who cares, as long as each is used to their strengths to help the team win.

I agree 100%, great post.

stlrtruck
11-13-2008, 10:31 AM
1st and goal at the 5- moore 4 yd gain
2nd and goal at the 1- moore stuffed for no gain
3rd and goal at the 1- moore stuffed for no gain

he had 2 shots at the goaline and his prior 3 or 4 runs that even got them down into and through the red zone all gained more than 4 yards.

I understand that but he still couldn't power his way past the LOS after those previous runs. He had an opportunity to power in to the endzone and failed not once but twice!!! He got jacked up by a player on his knees at that!

tony hipchest
11-13-2008, 10:36 AM
I understand that but he still couldn't power his way past the LOS after those previous runs. He had an opportunity to power in to the endzone and failed not once but twice!!! He got jacked up by a player on his knees at that!he didnt follow his lead block (mchugh to the left).

willie woulda bounced it. ive said several times, a healthy willie probably woulda had 200 yds rushing against the colts.

its probably cause it was against a smaller weaker defense, but this was one of the few games this year i saw a pocket being consistantly formed and especially in the 1st half the linemen getting about a 1 yard push off the line of scrimmage in the running game.

only problem was moore was running into the back of them instead of taking it around the edge.

revefsreleets
11-13-2008, 10:49 AM
IMO Parker was really following his blockers this year compared too last. He showed great patience and looked like a completely different back this year...

TackleMeBen
11-13-2008, 10:59 AM
i think parker is a good back, and in this league you definately need 2 backs. i dont think moore is the premier back like parker. when parker is healthy he is a beast.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-13-2008, 11:50 AM
OH, I disagree. 8 man fronts opens up passing lanes.

It all starts with the line.

I agree it does.....but why cant we pass against those 8 man fronts?? Its Ben, WR's and playcalling.

If teams show 8 and send 6 or 7(5 o-linemen cant block 6 guys)...like the Eagles, Giants, Ravens did, and Ben cant get the ball to WR's....then having 5 great O linemen is moot.

This is where I would love to see Arians goto his 4 WR set, spread it out and run the ball against a probable nickel defense like he talked about in the spring of 2007. Heck, throw in a screen pass or quick slant.....its how Matt Cassell is beating the blitz in NE.

T.Richardson
11-13-2008, 12:14 PM
i think parker is a good back, and in this league you definately need 2 backs. i dont think moore is the premier back like parker. when parker is healthy he is a beast.