PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger facing practice standard

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-12-2008, 08:44 AM
Roethlisberger facing practice standard
By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Practice may or may not make perfect, but in Mike Tomlin's estimation, it beats the alternative.

The Steelers' coach is "hopeful" quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will be able to do more than just watch on the South Side this week as the Steelers prepare to play host to San Diego on Sunday.

Tomlin, in fact, will insist upon Roethlisberger being something other than a spectator this week if the sore-shouldered quarterback is to play against the Chargers.

"I do," Tomlin said, when asked if he has a minimum-practice requirement that must be met by his players prior to game day.

As for Roethlisberger's ability to satisfy that standard this week, "I'm going to remain hopeful and see where he is (this) morning," Tomlin said. "Hopefully, he practices for us (today)."

Roethlisberger practiced once, on Friday, prior to last Sunday's game against Indianapolis. He periodically has taken practice days off since sustaining a separated shoulder in the regular-season opener Sept. 7 against Houston.

The injury was aggravated during the Steelers' win Nov. 3 at Washington.

Despite sitting out the second half against the Redskins and most of the week's preparation for the Colts, Roethlisberger started against Indianapolis.

He was intercepted three times and finished with a 60.0 passer rating in a 24-20 loss at Heinz Field.

"He was able to play last week because, quite frankly, Indianapolis is a very simple team to be prepared for schematically," Tomlin said. "They don't try to trick you; what they do is what they do. And if there is a game you can go in and play on a limited number of (practice reps), it's (against) a team like that.

"This week is a new week. Some of the things that we've done in terms of getting him ready to play were short-term solutions. The reality is that as we go on, we recognize the value of practice and what the physical reps mean to us as an offense.

"We'll live day-to-day and go through that process this week."

Roethlisberger aggravated the injury while running a sneak for a touchdown late in the second quarter against the Redskins. He was replaced in the second half of that victory by backup Byron Leftwich.

Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians estimated that Roethlisberger was only "80 percent" against the Colts.

Tomlin said Roethlisberger's ability to throw the ball downfield wasn't affected as the game wore on against Indianapolis, but he acknowledged reluctance on Roethlisberger's part to get outside of the pocket and run.

"He's aware of his health and what his health means to us," Tomlin said. "I'm sure he's exercising a little more precaution maybe than he did in the past.

"Of course, the shoulder is what it is. It's something he has dealt with and will continue to deal with. We'll see where he is when he comes in here and gets looked at. We'll see what his availability is for practice after that."

Roethlisberger has said all of the missed practice hasn't affected his performance in games because of his ability to take "mental reps."

But Tomlin said those only take a player so far.

"I think it's important that you practice and get physical reps," Tomlin said. "One of the things we've been dealing with in regards to his situation is a little short-term misery. When people are dealing with injuries such as his, you miss practice time, but they're veteran players and you get them to the stadium and you play. But that's only a short-term solution.

"The longer that the process goes on, you see issues turn up in terms of timing and cohesion. That's really the spot that we're at, at this point."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_597945.html

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-12-2008, 08:50 AM
Roethlisberger's practice time key to a Sunday start against Chargers
Wednesday, November 12, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

If he does not practice more often than he did last week, Byron Leftwich will start.

That was the message coach Mike Tomlin delivered in so many words at his news conference yesterday. He said he has a cutoff day for when he will determine if Roethlisberger will play or not.

"I do, but I'm going to remain hopeful and see where he is in the morning," Tomlin said yesterday. "Hopefully, he practices for us tomorrow."

Roethlisberger, who has had a sore/separated right shoulder since it was first injured in the season opener, has on two occasions not practiced until Friday and then started the following game on Sunday. The first time occurred before the Steelers played at Jacksonville Oct. 5, and the second came last week after it was reinjured on a quarterback sneak for a touchdown that Monday night in Washington. He also did nothing but hand off during a Thursday practice before the second game at Cleveland.

The Steelers won two of those three games.

Roethlisberger has started all nine games. Leftwich relieved him to start the second half against Washington and performed well in a 23-6 victory.

Roethlisberger returned to start Sunday. But, after two interceptions led to Indianapolis touchdowns in a 24-20 loss, Tomlin acknowledged that this time it's different. He suggested that he will place more consideration on Roethlisberger's ability to practice this week.

"I think it's important that you practice and get physical reps," Tomlin said. "One of the things we've been dealing with because of his injury is short-term misery, if you will. When people are dealing with injuries such as his, you miss practice time. But they're veteran players, and you get them to the stadium and you play. But that's only a short-term solution."

In the long run, a quarterback who does not practice much loses his efficiency, Tomlin implied.

"The longer that goes on, you start to see issues come up with timing and cohesion," Tomlin said. "I think that's the spot that we're at at this point."

Tomlin also implied that if the Steelers had played Sunday against a defense that used a more complicated scheme, Roethlisberger might not have played because of his lack of practice.

"He was able to play last week because, quite frankly, Indianapolis is a very easy team to be prepared for schematically. They don't try to trick you. What they do is what they do. If there is a game that you can go in and play on a limited number of reps, it's a team like that. That was part of the process and decision-making that we went through last week."

San Diego's defense does not present a particularly tough challenge because it ranks 26th overall in the NFL this week, last against the pass. Deciphering it, however, might pose more of a problem because the Chargers will operate for only the second game under new coordinator Ron Rivera, who replaced Ted Cottrell, fired at midseason. Against Kansas City Sunday, Rivera had the Chargers playing more 4-3 alignments than Cottrell's favored 3-4.

"This week is a new week," Tomlin said. "Some of the things that we've done in terms of getting him ready to play were short-term answers and solutions. The reality is, as we go on, we recognize the value of practice and what the physical reps mean to us as an offense. We'll live day to day and go through that process this week."

The shoulder injury also may be a reason Roethlisberger has not been effective running with the ball this season. He has 16 runs for 30 yards, many of them trying to avoid a sack, of which he has 28. Last season, he ran 35 times for 204 yards, second among AFC quarterbacks to Vince Young.

"He's aware of his health and what he means to us," Tomlin said. "I'm sure he's exercising a little bit more caution than what he did in the past."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08317/927139-66.stm

TackleMeBen
11-12-2008, 08:53 AM
its good to see that coach tomlin isnt going to let him get by..lol.. :wink02:

you have to agree with tomlin that the more practice you get the better you play in the game.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-12-2008, 08:59 AM
Big Ben out of practice and it shows
By Mike Bires
Times Sports Staff
Published: Wednesday, November 12, 2008 12:01 AM EST

PITTSBURGH — For a guy who has yet to miss a start, Ben Roethlisberger sure misses a lot of practice. And that’s becoming a problem for him and the Steelers.

Combined with the pain in his injured right shoulder, Roethlisberger’s lack of practice time has had a negative effect on the way he plays quarterback.

So says coach Mike Tomlin.

“The longer that goes on, you start to see issues come up with timing and cohesion,” Tomlin said of the practice time missed by Roethlisberger in recent weeks. “It’s important that you get practice and physical reps.”

Typically, NFL teams practice Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. If they’re playing a Monday night game, they’ll also practice Saturday.

Roethlisberger has missed four Wednesday practices so far. Twice, he’s missed practices on Wednesday and Thursday. On several other instances, he’s been limited, meaning that backup Byron Leftwich takes all or most snaps with the first-team offense.

Last week when asked about missing so many practices, Roethlisberger said, “I don’t think it’s that big of a deal.”

Before the Steelers played in Jacksonville on Oct. 5, Roethlisberger missed practice Wednesday and Thursday and hardly practiced that Friday. Yet he went out and played his best game of the season with 309 passing yards, three touchdowns and a 100.6 passer rating.

But last week after missing practice Wednesday and Thursday and splitting time with Leftwich on Friday, Roethlisberger threw three interceptions and posted a lowly 60.0 passer rating in a 24-20 loss to the Indianapolis Colts on Sunday.

In his last three games, Roethlisberger has thrown eight interceptions and with an average passer rating of 37.9.

Last week, Tomlin conceded that Roethlisberger’s shoulder injury — originally suffered in the Sept. 7 season opener — is affecting his performance. Now, Tomlin admits that lack of practice time is hurting Roethlisberger and his chemistry with the receivers as well.

“The reality is … we recognize the value of practice and what the physical reps mean to us as an offense,” Tomlin said.

Through nine games, Roethlisberger has thrown only 10 touchdown passes. After nine games last year, he had thrown 22. He’s already thrown 11 interceptions, which matches his total of last year. A year ago, Roethlisberger set a team record when he ranked second in the NFL with a 104.1 passer rating. Right now, he’s 25th in the league at 76.1.

Tomlin said Tuesday at his weekly press conference that he hopes Roethlisberger can practice every day this week.

“It’s our intent right now that he’ll practice (today),” Tomlin said. “The shoulder is what it is. It’s something that he has dealt with and will continue to deal with.”

Despite Roethlisberger’s recent struggles, Tomlin has no plans of switching quarterbacks Sunday when the Steelers (6-3) host the San Diego Chargers (4-5).

http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2008/11/12/sports/steelers/doc491a5beddbeeb753950120.txt

steelpride12
11-12-2008, 10:12 AM
Yes it is Ben needs practice and its starting to show in his last three starts of the season. Injured or not if he can play a game that week he sure can practice.

The_WARDen
11-12-2008, 10:56 AM
We talkin practice! to quote AI.

fansince'76
11-12-2008, 11:10 AM
We talkin practice! to quote AI.

FUYjD7A75HQ

:chuckle:

Dizzle43
11-12-2008, 11:13 AM
It definately looks like he needs the practice. I agree with what Tomlin is doing here.

Dino 6 Rings
11-12-2008, 11:23 AM
Timing matters, Timing is gotten by many reps in practice. You can't just go half speed for a week, then go full speed on Sunday.

XxKnightxX
11-12-2008, 11:29 AM
Like I used to say when I was playing football
REMEMBER THE 5 P'S

PERFECT PRACTICE PREVENTS POOR PERFORMANCE

Obviously Ben is gonna have to do that and i applaud Tomlin for it. You wont practice, then you wont play.

Steelerfreak58
11-12-2008, 02:50 PM
Hopefully more practice will teach Santonio not to give up on routes so easily and fight for a ball.

Preacher
11-12-2008, 02:56 PM
Good for Tomlin.

I like the fact that he gives his guys enough cushion to be men and play, but then when it is evident it is hurting the team, he steps in and lays down the gauntlet.

The_WARDen
11-12-2008, 03:14 PM
Hopefully more practice will teach Santonio not to give up on routes so easily and fight for a ball.

I am really disappointed in him so far. I thought this would be the breakout year for him after all the promise shown last year.

:noidea:

Preacher
11-12-2008, 03:20 PM
I am really disappointed in him so far. I thought this would be the breakout year for him after all the promise shown last year.

it seems the communication between him and Ben is gone... but that is probably a result of what was said in the beginning of this thread.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-12-2008, 03:36 PM

Kind of shows how a WR's success is based on so many other players.

A O-line needs to block,
A RB needs to blitz pickup,
A QB needs to make a good read and throw and even better pass,
.......before the WR ever has a chance to make the catch.

BTW, the PG is reporting that Ben will start. According to Iverson he has had enough "practice".

T.Richardson
11-12-2008, 04:45 PM
Ben and Holmes need to practice some more routes, Holmes ran some horrible routes against the Colts.

revefsreleets
11-12-2008, 05:50 PM
If this is REALLY true, and Tomlin really sits Ben, it shows Tomlin has more balls then Cowher. Ben talked Bill into letting him start no matter what, and that was prior to the 102 mil deal.

I will have MONDO respect for Tomlin if he does the right thing here and rests Ben for a week or two.

Preacher
11-12-2008, 05:54 PM

A O-line needs to block,

BTW, the PG is reporting that Ben will start. According to Iverson he has had enough "practice".

If this is REALLY true, and Tomlin really sits Ben, it shows Tomlin has more balls then Cowher. Ben talked Bill into letting him start no matter what, and that was prior to the 102 mil deal.

I will have MONDO respect for Tomlin if he does the right thing here and rests Ben for a week or two.

Kinda sad actually, seeing as there has only been what, 1 practice? 2 at the most?

Rev... I was hoping for the same thing.

revefsreleets
11-12-2008, 06:01 PM
Now, bear in mind, if Byron Leftwich doesn't come in and throw for 800 yards, 12 TD's and 100% completions, we'll be ostracized for this call, and the fickle fans will want to run Tomlin (and Arians by proxy) out of town on a rail.

Steelman16
11-12-2008, 11:05 PM
Now, bear in mind, if Byron Leftwich doesn't come in and throw for 800 yards, 12 TD's and 100% completions, we'll be ostracized for this call, and the fickle fans will want to run Tomlin (and Arians by proxy) out of town on a rail.

But it will still be funny to see all the Ben-haters spill their hateraide toward Lefty, and how Ben should start because he doesn't suck as bad. :sofunny:

I'm a huge proponet of Ben resting the next two games. I believe Lefty would do just fine against the Chargers weak secondary, and we can just run the ball against Cinci. After those games Willie will be back in full swing (hopefully!!) which should help bolster Ben's return against the Pats* and the Cowboys, both teams that aren't powerhouses at the moment. After those games, Ben should be back to game speed, and ready to traverse the final stretch.

Then comes Ratbird Steak Day and the clash with the Titans. The Ratbirds game especially could be monumental in terms of winning the division and better seeding. Ben will need to brace himself for the beating he'll probably get from them.

Ben can rest against Cleveland, and then get ready for the playoffs.

:noidea: Makes sense to me. But I guess my name ain't Tomlin.

Galax Steeler
11-13-2008, 03:44 AM
I like the call Tomlin is making get ben on the field and let him practice and see where he is going to be at come sunday maybe him and his receivers can get on the same page.

TackleMeBen
11-13-2008, 09:36 AM
how about some extra practice between holmes and ben.. they seem to need it.

steelpride12
11-13-2008, 10:01 AM
Nice to see Ben has been practicing most of the week and he will have a game plan in mind and be prepared.

PalmerSteel
11-13-2008, 10:06 AM
the heat was gettin hot this week on practice and ben's health along with tomlin's decision. glad to see them both step it up. should make a difference this sunday.

The_WARDen
11-13-2008, 10:56 AM

A O-line needs to block,

While I agree with what you wrote...the same circumstances haven't hurt Ward's production.

TackleMeBen
11-13-2008, 11:01 AM
Nice to see Ben has been practicing most of the week and he will have a game plan in mind and be prepared.
you mean ben's mental reps werent cutting it at practice???? :chuckle:

T.Richardson
11-13-2008, 11:12 AM
Well, hopefully Ben practicing can help his decision making, and maybe throw 0 ints against the Chargers.

Dino 6 Rings
11-13-2008, 11:13 AM
Good, get the timing down with your receivers during the week, and on Sunday, it'll be all the smoother.

sportzfan
11-13-2008, 11:26 AM
http://cw-ellisthomas.blogspot.com/

As a child, I was always taught that “practice makes perfect”. It seems logical enough, right? Apparently not so much to Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. The fifth year quarterback has reportedly become a bit too comfortable, in coach Mike Tomlin’s opinion, with sitting most practices out until Friday before the game. Roethlisberger, who endured a separated shoulder at the beginning of the season often complains of the lingering injury. So much last week, in fact, that Byron Leftwich, a recent addition to the Steelers, took over for the ailing Ben against the Redskins. When asked about the situation Ben replied “We don't have a lot of new guys out there,". Apparently he doesn’t believe in “Use it or lose it” either. Honestly, pardon my French, but who in the hell does this guy think he is? He, more than most, should know how easy it is to lose your job in the NFL- he got his “big start” when he saved the day as he took over, permanently mind you, for a guy (Tommy Maddox) who was left unconscious on the field and he has the nerve to say this. I hate to say I told you so, but I always had a bad feeling about this guy (probably unjustifiable…until now). I don’t know, maybe it was just because he wore his cap backwards. Is it possible that we built this guy up too much and made him too "big"? I thought surely his near fatal motorcycle accident would, at least, partially bring him down from the clouds (smog clouds…we are talking about Pittsburgh here people). Steeler management had better reel their young quarterback in or they might end up having a sticky situation on their hands. Byron Leftwich isn’t going to continue to play “second fiddle” much longer to a quarterback who can’t even see fit to show up to practices. I cannot wait to see how this one pans out. It may be a bit premature, but I have a feeling that one day Big Ben will get up off of his Big couch and realize that he doesn’t have a Big job anymore. Afterwards he’ll probably down a couple of Ibuprofens and get back to his game of Madden. Barbara Ehrenreich once said: “Personally, I have nothing against work, particularly when performed, quietly and unobtrusively, by someone else. I just don't happen to think it's an appropriate subject for an ‘ethic.’”.

Ellis

TackleMeBen
11-13-2008, 11:38 AM
sounds like someone is jealous that they arent making 102 million dollars.

that is the funnest blog i have read in awhile..maybe this person needs to get up off their couch and do something more physical.

T.Richardson
11-13-2008, 11:39 AM

As a child, I was always taught that “practice makes perfect”. It seems logical enough, right? Apparently not so much to Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. The fifth year quarterback has reportedly become a bit too comfortable, in coach Mike Tomlin’s opinion, with sitting most practices out until Friday before the game. Roethlisberger, who endured a separated shoulder at the beginning of the season often complains of the lingering injury. So much last week, in fact, that Byron Leftwich, a recent addition to the Steelers, took over for the ailing Ben against the Redskins. When asked about the situation Ben replied “We don't have a lot of new guys out there,". Apparently he doesn’t believe in “Use it or lose it” either. Honestly, pardon my French, but who in the hell does this guy think he is? He, more than most, should know how easy it is to lose your job in the NFL- he got his “big start” when he saved the day as he took over, permanently mind you, for a guy (Tommy Maddox) who was left unconscious on the field and he has the nerve to say this. I hate to say I told you so, but I always had a bad feeling about this guy (probably unjustifiable…until now). I don’t know, maybe it was just because he wore his cap backwards. Is it possible that we built this guy up too much and made him too "big"? I thought surely his near fatal motorcycle accident would, at least, partially bring him down from the clouds (smog clouds…we are talking about Pittsburgh here people). Steeler management had better reel their young quarterback in or they might end up having a sticky situation on their hands. Byron Leftwich isn’t going to continue to play “second fiddle” much longer to a quarterback who can’t even see fit to show up to practices. I cannot wait to see how this one pans out. It may be a bit premature, but I have a feeling that one day Big Ben will get up off of his Big couch and realize that he doesn’t have a Big job anymore. Afterwards he’ll probably down a couple of Ibuprofens and get back to his game of Madden. Barbara Ehrenreich once said: “Personally, I have nothing against work, particularly when performed, quietly and unobtrusively, by someone else. I just don't happen to think it's an appropriate subject for an ‘ethic.’”.

Ellis

whoever typed this up is an idiot. :blah:

fansince'76
11-13-2008, 11:40 AM
whoever typed this up is an idiot. :blah:

Agreed. :coffee:

sportzfan
11-13-2008, 11:47 AM
whoever typed this up is an idiot.

Is in not factual?

tony hipchest
11-13-2008, 11:51 AM
not so much

fansince'76
11-13-2008, 11:54 AM
Is in not factual?

No, it's not, in several ways. For one thing, Ben has not been "complaining" about the shoulder. He was taken out of the Washington game because it was reinjured and he was taken to the locker room to have X-rays taken, and that is when Leftwich was put in. Leftwich has also fully accepted his role as a backup, and has said as much more than once in the media. Besides that, he is only on a one-year contract anyway due to a season-ending injury to Charlie Batch, and anybody with half a brain or who actually follows this team more than just on the periphery and actually knows what they're talking about knows he will more than likely be gone for another team where he will be given a better chance to start next season. He is auditioning to start somewhere else this year. Part of that is keeping his mouth shut and being a good little soldier in the meantime, seeing as he was out of the league entirely when this opportunity came a-knocking for him.

JEFF4i
11-13-2008, 01:36 PM
Big Ben, who is a total whiner. I mean, we all know whiners make promises to people to do their best to get them a Superbowl ring. They also take the blame for nearly every flaw they have. They also take all the credit for Superbowl victories.

C'mon now. He's got his flaws, he throws picks, but this guy is solid. I never think he ever does anything but the best he can. That said, as said, I think a week or two for healing wouldn't hurt at all.

Also, if they can speed up Lefty's delivery a bit for passes in that near zone, screens, etc. I think he'd be a strong force too, not saying he isn't.

The_WARDen
11-13-2008, 02:07 PM
What does wearing his cap backwards have to do with anything??

X-Terminator
11-13-2008, 02:14 PM
Oy :doh:

They will let anyone have an computer these days.

sportzfan
11-13-2008, 04:05 PM
What does wearing his cap backwards have to do with anything??

It means the writer gets a bad feeling about people that where their caps backwards. That's what little boys do, not real men.:wink02:

The_WARDen
11-13-2008, 04:08 PM
It means the writer gets a bad feeling about people that where their caps backwards. That's what little boys do, not real men.:wink02:

umm...yeah...okay.

sportzfan
11-13-2008, 04:10 PM
:rofl:You have your cap on backwards don't you warden. :doh::drink:

tony hipchest
11-13-2008, 04:23 PM
hines ward doesnt practice on wednesdays and he's not even injured.

not only does he wear a backwards cap sometimes, he also wears that stupid leather helmet thingy with the giant earflaps.

i cant wait for your article on him. :applaudit:

fansince'76
11-13-2008, 04:25 PM

Nothing like basing an opinion of the direction of pretty much the entire future of a QB on such a substantive personal trait as the direction he wears his ballcap. :rolleyes:

I also have a feeling the writer would wind up in an intensive care unit if he took 1/100th of the pounding Ben routinely plays through, so please take the "real men" garbage elsewhere. :coffee:

The_WARDen
11-13-2008, 04:29 PM
:rofl:You have your cap on backwards don't you warden. :doh::drink:

front...sideways...backwards...it has NO bearing on how I do my job.
:blah::blah:

Preacher
11-13-2008, 04:36 PM

Um...

I think sports was being sarcastic with that comment...

tresh123
11-13-2008, 04:40 PM
i agree. that is the only reason we lost last weekend. big ben doesn't throw the ints and we walk a way with this one!!!

Edman
11-13-2008, 07:04 PM
Welp, looking Ben got full participation in practice today.

sportzfan
11-13-2008, 08:14 PM
also have a feeling the writer would wind up in an intensive care unit if he took 1/100th of the pounding Ben routinely plays through, so please take the "real men" garbage elsewhere.

Being a real man has nothng to do with physical abilities. But hey, enough said.
:drink:

fansince'76
11-13-2008, 08:19 PM
Being a real man has nothng to do with physical abilities. But hey, enough said.
:drink:

Like I said, take it elsewhere. 'Nuff said.

cowboykilla
11-16-2008, 02:37 PM
Okay,it's obvious that Big Ben is not 100%,we have a backup qb who has proved that he can do the job that he was brought in to do. So can someone please tell me why Leftwich is not starting until Roethlisberger is healthy. I know that Roethlisberger is making a vast sum of money and he is our franchise player,but his play of lately is only hurting the team. Call me crazy but if i can see this why can't coach Tomlin? Just a thought. LET'S GO STEELERS!!!! :tt::tt:

SteelCityMan786
11-16-2008, 03:06 PM
Hopefully the full practice standard helps Ben this week.

Dino 6 Rings
11-16-2008, 06:43 PM
31/41 308 yards 0 Tds 0 ints

I'm all for Ben practicing every week!