PDA

View Full Version : Colts game- after further review

tony hipchest
11-12-2008, 10:00 PM
having watched it again several things stand out.

bens injury- ben was pretty much sharp the whole game and the 9 drops and 3 int had nothing to do with his injury. he was playing pitch and catch with ward and spaeth in the middle of the field (quick release and pretty much putting the ball on point). had it not been for 2 fluke reggie wayne catches we are probably talking how ben went toe-to-toe with manning, completed about 72% of his passes, and was the man. his 2 real int's would be blamed on the wr.

moore's 2 runs on the goaline- he had 3-4 consecutive carries (all 4 yds +) that put us into position on the 1. he was the hot hand and it only made sense to keep feeding him. on the 3rd down, he shoulda cut it a bit outside behind mchugh and (kemo?) instead of taking it into the pile. willie wouldve easilly bounced this one. with the steelers defense, i would not have opposed going for it on 4th and 1. worst case is blitzing manning in the endzone and forcing them to drive 99 yds.

troy, james, and ike played almost flawless defense- 2 bad breaks for ike. troy was all over and killing people. he lost rhodes for a second on the wheel route, and it was amazing he almost recovered to bat down the ball.

t. carter may not be the best in run support but wr's definitely hear footsteps when he is playing deep, as they do with the rest of our secondary.

for being small, a. madison was looking pretty active the few times i noticed him. he doesnt seem timid about getting his nose in there on run support.

still, this doesnt change the facts. we cannot control what the ravens do, and with the way things are shaping up in the AFC we may not be able to afford 3 more losses in the 2nd half. the game in baltimore will be a "must win".

The Duke
11-12-2008, 10:14 PM
Tyrone carter was certainly impressive. He took a lot of heat for the jaguars game, but he is a solid safety. That hit on gonzalez was amazing

Totally agree with you about ben. Like I've said before, the man completing over 70% of his passes means his injury isn't affecting him that much . Decision making has to improve, that's it, but holmes takes a lot of the blame

Something interesting caught my eye though, they ran a stat across the screen saying the steelers are 2nd in the NFL in red zone efficiency. Maybe I'm wrong, but if true that says something about this 26th ranked offense

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
11-12-2008, 10:19 PM
I really dislike Holmes, he reminds me of how Buress was when he was with the Steelers. He never put in more than the minimum amount of effort to make the catch, and neither does Holmes. We need more tough receivers like my man Ward!:tt02:

XxKnightxX
11-12-2008, 10:36 PM
Nice finds, there wasnt really nothing negative about the game except those couple of crucial plays. Im over it though, and were sure the teams over it, play and win the next game and repeat the process

Edman
11-12-2008, 11:11 PM
Colts game- after further review...

They're a suck ass lucky team and we did everything we could to give them this game, and sure enough, we did, and they took it.

Moving on.

jjpro11
11-12-2008, 11:19 PM
we will destroy them if the come back to pittsburgh in january.

WWIIOwheelz
11-12-2008, 11:56 PM
Quite true. Lots of people I've heard were throwing Ben under the bus, and honestly, I've seen him play far, far worse. Santonio is disappointing me more than just about anyone else, completely aside from off-the-field exploits. The int Ben threw in his direction, had Santonio kept in motion, he'd have been hit in the numbers. I don't know the playbook, but whoever's fault that was, he & Ben weren't on the same page when picking up the blitz, which it looked like Santo did. No excuses from Ben, as usual.

Everything went wrong from the start, and the tipped passes....... just, wow. It felt futile at times, but the Steelers were still in it late. Not a division game, thankfully, because the Ravens are getting it together. That game in December is looking large.

chucoblack&gold
11-13-2008, 12:03 AM

They're a suck ass lucky team and we did everything we could to give them this game, and sure enough, we did, and they took it.

Moving on.

I agree with Edman, the colts did not impress me. The media gave Manning too much credit, as they say .... " thats the way the ball bounces" ....

onward to this week against SD:tt02:

tony hipchest
11-13-2008, 12:04 AM

Moving on.:wave:

but before you leave (or "move on" or whatever) the colts are a pretty good, and one hell of a coached team, whose back was against the ropes. this was almost a playoff game for them.... and we let em off the hook! they are who we thought they were (or atleast who many of us thought they were when the season began).

patriots, chargers, ravens, cowboys, titans = teams we cant afford to let off the hook.

The Duke
11-13-2008, 12:31 AM
we will destroy them if the come back to pittsburgh in january.

Beating the colts in the AFC championship and the giants in the super bowl would be sweet.

Nothing better than revenge :tt03:

Steelman16
11-13-2008, 12:43 AM
Beating the colts in the AFC championship and the giants in the super bowl would be sweet.

Nothing better than revenge :tt03:

Revenge is what the playoffs thrive on. Think about last year, Pats* killed the Giants, and they come back and smash them in the Super Bowl.

That would totally be sweet. I think I'd be riding on cloud nine for the rest of the year if that happened.

:tt03:

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
11-13-2008, 01:00 AM
Time to work on the other hand after all :tt03:

Sharkissle29
11-13-2008, 01:02 AM
I really dislike Holmes, he reminds me of how Buress was when he was with the Steelers. He never put in more than the minimum amount of effort to make the catch, and neither does Holmes. We need more tough receivers like my man Ward!:tt02:

what the hell are you talking about? holmes has made some unbelievable catches from last minute tips

jjpro11
11-13-2008, 01:26 AM
Revenge is what the playoffs thrive on. Think about last year, Pats* killed the Giants, and they come back and smash them in the Super Bowl.

That would totally be sweet. I think I'd be riding on cloud nine for the rest of the year if that happened.

:tt03:

well.. we already did it once to the colts back in 05, a second time wouldnt hurt.

Galax Steeler
11-13-2008, 05:03 AM
well.. we already did it once to the colts back in 05, a second time wouldnt hurt.

That was a sweet game I will never forget it we just went up there and layed it on them.

DACEB
11-13-2008, 08:56 AM
had it not been for 2 fluke reggie wayne catches we are probably talking how ben went toe-to-toe with manning, completed about 72% of his passes, and was the man. his 2 real int's would be blamed on the wr.

Your probably right Tony. I like Santo (alot), but more than once I've seen the DB out hustle, out muscle, or simply fight for and get the ball over Santo. The first INT, Santo changes his angle on the route once he got beyond the DB. Thus allowing the DB to get under the route.

I must say that Ben still looked off, many of his throws were high and behind. That could be a direct result of the lack of practice leading to timing problems.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-13-2008, 11:32 AM
bens injury- ben was pretty much sharp the whole game and the 9 drops and 3 int had nothing to do with his injury.

moore's 2 runs on the goaline- on the 3rd down, he shoulda cut it a bit outside behind mchugh and (kemo?) instead of taking it into the pile. "must win".

At the goaline, they ran the exact same play 3 times in a row. You are right that if Moore followed the blocking off tackle....he scores a TD. Maybe he ran inside the guard because that is where the hole opened on the previous 2 same running plays and he guessed where the hole would open instead of following his blocks.

As for Ben's injury, I agree that he looked good at times, but on some throws he looked to have an abbreviated throwing motion and even drop down a bit more 3/4 sidearm instead of coming over the top. I think the injury hurt him on some throws.

Missing Woodley was pretty big too.