PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Parker: It's me versus L.T.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-15-2008, 02:05 PM
Steelers' Parker: It's me versus L.T.
By Mike Bires, Times Sports Staff
Published: Saturday, November 15, 2008 7:22 AM EST

PITTSBURGH — Willie Parker is ready for the game within the game.

“It’s the Steelers versus the Chargers,” he said. “But at the same time, I’m always competing against the other running back. So it’s me versus L.T.”

On Sunday when the Steelers (6-3) host San Diego (4-5) in a game of huge importance, both teams will feature primary ball carriers with remarkable résumés.

LaDainian Tomlinson, or L.T. as he’s known, is a superstar. Over the past seven years, he’s rushed for more yards than any other NFL back. He’s been to four straight Pro Bowls and five in all.

Parker, who’s racked up three straight 1,000 yards season, was selected for the past two Pro Bowls.

But so far this year, injuries have prevented Parker from playing all-star caliber football. He’s only played in four games. A sprained knee kept him out of four games and a shoulder injury forced him to miss another.

That’s why he’s so excited about Sunday’s game.

Even though he has to wear a shoulder harness, he’ll be back in the starting lineup.

“I want to play. I love to play,” he said. “I’m a competitor, and not being able to play … you know, I don’t even want to talk about that. It was so frustrating. I’ll just say that the second half of the season will be a lot better.”

After rushing for 138 and 105 yards in wins over the Houston Texans and Cleveland Browns, Parker injured his knee in a 15-6 loss in Philadelphia. Against the Eagles, he gained only 20 yards on 13 carries and sprained his knee doing it.

Two weeks ago in a 23-6 win over the Washington Redskins, Parker rushed for 70 yards but hurt his shoulder.

After sitting out last week’s loss to the Indianapolis Colts, Parker is back albeit with a shoulder harness. He’s looking to spark a Steelers offense that’s been inconsistent.

“We did miss him,” quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said. “And that’s not taking anything away from what Mewelde (Moore) has done. ‘Mo’ has done a great job of filling in for Willie. But it’s great to have Willie back and have a good one-two punch.”

Moore, who’s started four games, leads the Steelers with 377 rushing yards.

With 333 yards, Parker must average 95.3 in each of the Steelers’ last seven games to surpass 1,000 again.

“I’m just ready to get back in there,” Parker said. “I missed way too many games this year. I know it, the team knows it. I just want to help the team out.”

He also wants to out-rush Tomlinson.

“I got to know L.T. from going to the Pro Bowl,” Parker said. “He’s a good guy. He’s taught me a few things, especially when it comes to training and conditioning. So I’m hoping to play well Sunday. Like I said, I always see myself competing against the other team’s running back.”
http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2008/11/15/sports/steelers/doc491e065319f93553932688.txt

steelreserve
11-15-2008, 03:25 PM
No, Willie. It's you against whoever gets a pinky on you. Most of the time, I've seen you lose that battle.

tony hipchest
11-15-2008, 03:34 PM
most of the time nobody gets a pinky on him.

willie is tough as steel, but still hasnt learned hes not invincible.

T.Richardson
11-15-2008, 04:57 PM
Parkers speed is his only advantage, and he can be elusive at times. I think he will do ok, but not great. But he cant just try and bulldoze his way through, cant risk it, he couild hurt himself even more.

chargerswin619
11-15-2008, 05:13 PM
Hmmm A healthy L.T. vs. a hurt Willie Parker. I like our chances!

T.Richardson
11-15-2008, 05:14 PM
L.T doesnt exactly play well against great defense.

fansince'76
11-15-2008, 05:14 PM
Hmmm A healthy L.T. vs. a hurt Willie Parker. I like our chances!

Yeah, maybe LT will actually crack 40 yards rushing against us this time around. Somehow I doubt it. :coffee:

19ward86
11-15-2008, 05:30 PM
I really want to see Parker have a huge game to stop all the talking about how moore is better than him, Moore is extremely versitile but Parker is a home run threat everytime he touches the ball. He opens up the pass and will make Ben look a lot better than what he has been looking like the last few weeks.

Steelman16
11-15-2008, 06:35 PM
I really want to see Parker have a huge game to stop all the talking about how moore is better than him, Moore is extremely versitile but Parker is a home run threat everytime he touches the ball. He opens up the pass and will make Ben look a lot better than what he has been looking like the last few weeks.

That's exactly why Willie wants to play so bad. Dang harness or not, he's gonna go out there and play. The perpetual chip on his shoulder is the size of Pennsylvania, and he's gotta lighten the load. (no, not Dookie style :chuckle: )

I suspect neither back will have a great game, but it'll be good fodder for the announcers to harp on all day.

LVSteelersfan
11-15-2008, 07:17 PM
That's exactly why Willie wants to play so bad. Dang harness or not, he's gonna go out there and play. The perpetual chip on his shoulder is the size of Pennsylvania, and he's gotta lighten the load. (no, not Dookie style :chuckle: )

I suspect neither back will have a great game, but it'll be good fodder for the announcers to harp on all day.

Does that mean it will be a happy fodder's day? :rofl::sofunny::rofl::sofunny:

TerribleSteelyMcBeam
11-15-2008, 08:50 PM
LT needs to stop doing so many commercials and get his head back in the game.

look for willie to rush way past 100yds this week

ben7
11-16-2008, 11:46 AM
Willie is back im so exited

The Duke
11-16-2008, 11:48 AM
Bolts may have a good run D, but if ben is able to torch their secondary it will open up things for willie

Willie for 100 yards again and definitely outrushes LT :tt:

The Duke
11-17-2008, 02:47 PM
Bolts may have a good run D, but if ben is able to torch their secondary it will open up things for willie

Willie for 100 yards again and definitely outrushes LT :tt:

I love to be right :tt02:

LT may have gotten the TD( they shouln't have been at the goal line anyway) and had a few good runs against this tough D, but willie got the tough yards throughout the whole game

T.Richardson
11-17-2008, 03:34 PM
Parker! :tt02:

tony hipchest
11-17-2008, 05:29 PM
parker has never been shy measuring himself against the best. last year he declared it was his goal to take the rushing title away from LT and he damn near did it.

he practically called his own shot in this game.

anyone have word on that poor #54 who parker absolutely BLASTED? i think parker broke his hand, but not sure.

Edman
11-17-2008, 05:38 PM
Parker won this battle, that's all I have to say.

Rhee Rhee
11-18-2008, 02:28 AM
Parker > LT

at least this time... played solid and i look for him and the o-line to play like they did against the chargers... mauling and destroying people... btw carey davis had some phenomenal blocks on the linebackers of the chargers... i was very impressed and he even brought back memories of good ole dan kreider...