PDA

View Full Version : Coordinator Bruce Arians fired

Steelers & I
11-16-2008, 01:41 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1696154

Updated: December 29, 2003, 6:51 PM ET
Email
Print
BEREA, Ohio -- Cleveland coach Butch Davis fired three of his offensive assistants on Monday, including coordinator Bruce Arians.

Arians, running backs coach Todd McNair and quarterbacks coach Carl Smith were let go by Davis, who hired all three in 2001 when he got the Browns' job.

The dismissals are the first moves in what is expected to be a busy offseason for Cleveland, which dropped to 5-11 after going to the playoffs last season.

Following Sunday's 22-14 win in the season finale at Cincinnati, Davis shouldered some blame for the Browns' dismal year, saying he had "let this team down a little bit."

On Monday, he spread some of that blame around, but insisted the firings were not a rash response to a bad season.

"This is not a knee-jerk reaction," Davis said. "This is a three-year broad spectrum look at the whole thing offensively, the growth and the development."

Davis, who has two years left on his contract and may get an extension this winter, is 21-27 in his three seasons.

This is the second straight year that he has fired one of his coordinators immediately after the season. Following the Browns' loss in the AFC playoffs at Pittsburgh in January, defensive coordinator Foge Fazio was fired and replaced by Dave Campo.

The dismissal of the 51-year-old Arians has been expected for weeks.

Cleveland's offense was supposed to be the team's strongest unit this season. However, injuries across the offensive line and inconsistency from quarterbacks Tim Couch and Kelly Holcomb led to the offense dropping in several key statistical categories.

The Browns fell from No. 23 to No. 26 in total yardage, went from No. 18 to No. 25 in passing and scored just 15.9 points per game after averaging 21.9 in 2002.

Copyright 2003 by The Associated Press

:rofl::chuckle: Oh believe it, a very similar story is on it's way.

Steelman16
11-16-2008, 01:52 AM
Dude, next time, add IN TWO-THOUSAND-THREE to the topic title...

:coffee:

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-16-2008, 01:59 AM
What does that really prove?? Here is another since you love Cleveland history.

Belichick fired by Modell

By David Ginsburg, Associated Press writer
BALTIMORE -- The search for a new nickname can wait. First, Art Modell needs to find a new coach.
Modell, owner of the Baltimore NFL franchise formerly known as the Cleveland Browns, fired coach Bill Belichick on Wednesday. He did not name a replacement, but former Baltimore Colts coach Ted Marchibroda is a possible choice for the job.
Modell may also consider Oakland Raiders assistant coach Joe Bugel or San Francisco 49ers defensive coordinator Pete Carroll to replace Belichick.
Don Shula, the winningest coach in NFL history, has removed himself from the list of candidates.
The Browns went 5-11 last season, losing seven of their final eight games after Modell announced his intention to take the franchise to Baltimore. It was Cleveland's fourth losing season in five years under Belichick.
"The move to Baltimore offers us a new beginning, a fresh start," Modell said in a statement, "and we want to do everything we can to get to a higher level of play as soon as we can.
"We've had some success with Bill, including an 11-5 playoff team in 1994. However, I believe to get to the next level, a change at head coach is necessary."http://archive.southcoasttoday.com/daily/02-96/02-15-96/7fired.htm

Come back in March and see if it happened. Otherwise, you have a great career ahead of you in journalism. I think the STAR is hiring.

Movin' on to the Chargers......movin' on.

Steelers & I
11-16-2008, 02:06 AM
What does that really prove?? Here is another since you love Cleveland history.

Belichick fired by Modell

By David Ginsburg, Associated Press writer
BALTIMORE -- The search for a new nickname can wait. First, Art Modell needs to find a new coach.
Modell, owner of the Baltimore NFL franchise formerly known as the Cleveland Browns, fired coach Bill Belichick on Wednesday. He did not name a replacement, but former Baltimore Colts coach Ted Marchibroda is a possible choice for the job.
Modell may also consider Oakland Raiders assistant coach Joe Bugel or San Francisco 49ers defensive coordinator Pete Carroll to replace Belichick.
Don Shula, the winningest coach in NFL history, has removed himself from the list of candidates.
The Browns went 5-11 last season, losing seven of their final eight games after Modell announced his intention to take the franchise to Baltimore. It was Cleveland's fourth losing season in five years under Belichick.
"The move to Baltimore offers us a new beginning, a fresh start," Modell said in a statement, "and we want to do everything we can to get to a higher level of play as soon as we can.
"We've had some success with Bill, including an 11-5 playoff team in 1994. However, I believe to get to the next level, a change at head coach is necessary."http://archive.southcoasttoday.com/daily/02-96/02-15-96/7fired.htm

Come back in March and see if it happened. Otherwise, you have a great career ahead of you in journalism. I think the STAR is hiring.

Movin' on to the Chargers......movin' on.

I'll be back in March, you be sure and do the same, ya hear me now? :wave:

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-16-2008, 02:10 AM
I'll be back in March, you be sure and do the same, ya hear me now? :wave:

I'll be here unless they ban me. :wink: I think Arians will be too (even though I dont like his offense).

Still, be careful what you wish for. I think if Arians goes, you will see Tomlin promote Randy Fichtner and his last offense was a spread at Memphis. :doh:

Steelers & I
11-16-2008, 02:17 AM
I'll be here unless they ban me. :wink: I think Arians will be too (even though I dont like his offense).

Still, be careful what you wish for. I think if Arians goes, you will see Tomlin promote Randy Fichtner and his last offense was a spread at Memphis. :doh:

I can't say that I know anything about Fichtner so I'll take your word for it. Heck at this point, I'm willing to gamble in my wishing. I actually believe that the Steelers will promote QB Coach, Ken Anderson. That's probably not the best move but I'll settle for just about anyone.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-16-2008, 02:27 AM
I can't say that I know anything about Fichtner so I'll take your word for it. Heck at this point, I'm willing to gamble in my wishing. I actually believe that the Steelers will promote QB Coach, Ken Anderson. That's probably not the best move but I'll settle for just about anyone.

I dont think Anderson has the desire to be an OC, or you would have heard of it by now. Kenny Anderson is a QB that would be in the hall of fame if he didnt have to play against the Steelers and Oilers 2 times a year.

Fichtner might be good as DeAngelo Williams had great seasons while he was there, but if the Steelers win the AFC North, I doubt they gamble on a young guy with Arians there already. I think Arians will be coaching for his job in 2009, but not this season.

wootawnee
11-16-2008, 03:14 AM
Charlie Batch.......He Can call the plays.....Let him be the coordinater.....At least stick him up in the booth and call some plays with B.A.........:rofl::rofl:

fansince'76
11-16-2008, 03:20 AM
Bruce Arians was fired in 2003 by the Browns? Never knew that. :rolleyes:

Thread closed due to redundancy of the topic.