PDA

View Full Version : Forward Pass Thread ONLY

Steeldude
11-16-2008, 06:35 PM
where was the illegal forward pass? they are saying the first lateral was illegal. :noidea:

what was the spread?

RoethlisBURGHer
11-16-2008, 06:36 PM
There was no forward pass, that was such bullcrap taking that TD from Troy!

steelpride12
11-16-2008, 06:37 PM
Who Cares? We Won.

Dino 6 Rings
11-16-2008, 06:38 PM
I kind of care, I have Troy on my fantasy team and that was a fumble recovery for a TD I'm out. Plus, Troy needs some TDs in his pocket this year.

I didn't see a forward pass.

bozz723
11-16-2008, 06:40 PM
Obviously there were no forward passes. They blatantly were cheating for the spread, and it was apparent through the entire game.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
11-16-2008, 06:43 PM
Look at it this way..... we got to see the first 11-10 game in NFL history!

Steeldude
11-16-2008, 06:43 PM
Who Cares? We Won.

i do. i think it is an interesting topic to discuss. it appears others feel the same way.

Godfather
11-16-2008, 06:45 PM
Just googled the point spread. It was 4.5 but Berman just said that you can't advance the ball if you recover a backward pass.

The zebras didn't seem to know what they were doing at the end, though.

TerribleSteelyMcBeam
11-16-2008, 06:47 PM
yeah the whole thing was sketchy. i bet new england had something to do with it.

Edman
11-16-2008, 06:47 PM
That was obviously a backwards lateral, but came up with this bullshit forward pass crap.

The officiating was absolutely godawful atrocious today.

Godfather
11-16-2008, 06:49 PM
And the ref initially said we declined the penalty and the TD was good...he didn't even know the rule.

They should have just let it go--game was over either way and it was a letdown for the fans to sit there wondering what was happening after an exciting ending like that.

slippy
11-16-2008, 06:50 PM
why no booth review? that is a reviewable play!!!

LVSteelersfan
11-16-2008, 06:51 PM
All I can say is if we lost that game, the refs gave it to them. Period. That PI call was absolute bs and gave them a TD they never would have gotten with our D. The last call probably was not a TD but I wish it had been because I was ahead of my opponent in FF on that play because I have the Steelers D. I hate the zebras worse than I hate the Patsies and Belicheat. BTW, it may have been ugly but we are 7-3 and in sole posession of first place which is the same as a two game lead since we beat the Ravens already.

VTsteel
11-16-2008, 06:57 PM
There was no illegal forward pass. That was an awesome defensive effort by Troy and he (we) got robbed.

:rulez: "if a backward pass hits the ground or an official, play continues. Like a fumble, a backward pass that has hit the ground may be recovered and advanced by either team."

We got robbed.

The refs completely sucked today.

PisnNapalm
11-16-2008, 06:58 PM
I did not see an illegal forward pass on that last play. The refs are smoking crack.

ben7
11-16-2008, 07:09 PM
Sproles clearly didnt throw it forward

MillerMania83
11-16-2008, 07:12 PM
I totally agree, what a BULL CRAP call, Troy defintely got ripped off a TD, all of the people who have him in their fantasy leagues got ripped, and everyone who placed a wager on the Black and Gold to cover the spread GOT RIPPED OFF....It's so cut and dry, there was NO forward illegal pass, it was a fumble/live ball, and Troy took it to the "house" and got RIPPED OFF.

TheWarDen86
11-16-2008, 07:15 PM
Who Cares? We Won.

I care Bro. Only because eventually these idiots are going to cost us big. Plus, IMO Troys TD (which was taken away) was justice for all the BS/Ticky-Tack calls that went against us.

Normally I preach that these games are played too close and that the refs in fact DO have the power to change the course of the game. Thank the Lord above that our Steelers remained focused because not many teams could've gotten past these unforseen obstacles.

On another note: NO OTHER PLAYER in the NFL makes that play/catch aside from Troy Polamalu in the first QTR. Way to go Troy! :drink: Sorry that gipped you on the TD in the end.

steel striker
11-16-2008, 07:17 PM
If they called that a foward pass then a few years ago the play known as the music miracle play should have never counted. The playoff game titians vs bills. It seemed to me that this game was a game that the refs tried to take it away from us.

bozz723
11-16-2008, 07:18 PM
I did not see an illegal forward pass on that last play. The refs are smoking crack.

The refs eren'tt smoking crack - they were blatantly cheating, and I mean it was blatant, throughout the whole game to cover the spread.

The Patriot
11-16-2008, 07:22 PM
Obviously there were no forward passes. They blatantly were cheating for the spread, and it was apparent through the entire game.

I'm really wondering now if that was the case.

TheWarDen86
11-16-2008, 07:25 PM
I'm really wondering now if that was the case.

Well, surely you video taped it. Whattya think? get back to us. D**k. :chuckle:

kmsteelerwr15
11-16-2008, 07:25 PM
anyone else expecting ANOTHER apology letter?

Steelman16
11-16-2008, 07:27 PM
These refs all gotta be Chargers fans...seriously, I've never seen so many botched calls when they play games.

Troy got jipped, but whatever. He did nab that beautiful INT. :drink:

stillers4me
11-16-2008, 07:29 PM
anyone else expecting ANOTHER apology letter?

That's what I was thinking........another "Wow, we screwed Troy again but thankfully you won anyway, barely. Whew!" letter. Dickheads.:mad:

The Patriot
11-16-2008, 07:31 PM
Well, surely you video taped it. Whattya think? get back to us. D**k. :chuckle:

The refs are always screwing Troy out of interceptions. :sofunny:

TheWarDen86
11-16-2008, 07:32 PM
The refs are always screwing Troy out of interceptions. :sofunny:

This is true. Damn, you're smart! :chuckle:

Preacher
11-16-2008, 07:35 PM
Oh goodness people.

You're making us sound like Seahawk fans. And WE WON the game.

Sure, there were a couple bad calls.

BUt do ANY of you, after stepping back and really THINKING about it, want to logically argue that the refs were trying to throw the game for the Chargers?

Come on.

millwalldavey
11-16-2008, 07:39 PM
I think they were referring to Tomlinsons pitch after he made the initial reception on that one... instead of calling it a forward lateral they called it a pass.

It looked kinda forward to me.

jjpro11
11-16-2008, 07:39 PM
Oh goodness people.

BUt do ANY of you, after stepping back and really THINKING about it, want to logically argue that the refs were trying to throw the game for the Chargers?

Come on.

13-2 penalties.. with one of the two costing us a touchdown is insane. the only reason we won that game is because our defense is one of the best of the decade. i dont know if any other team in the nfl would have been able to overcome such one sided calls other than us.

Dino 6 Rings
11-16-2008, 08:05 PM
I think they were referring to Tomlinsons pitch after he made the initial reception on that one... instead of calling it a forward lateral they called it a pass.

It looked kinda forward to me.

I just watched the highlights on the NFL network and agree, the "forward pass" was the play Tomlinson made with the ball, it was very close to being foward if not, it was exactly sideways, which I believe is called "forward"

anyway...the Steelers had better check themselves into a Penalty Rehab this week. 14 mother kidding (trying not to cuss) penalties. That is atrocious. Disgusting, Down right Bengals like.

jjpro11
11-16-2008, 09:15 PM
turns out the call was right, but they still completely blew the call. unbelievable.

REFEREE ADMITS ERROR AT END OF CHARGERS-STEELERS GAME
Posted by Mike Florio on November 16, 2008, 10:01 p.m.

We’re going to defer the full-blown explanation of the events of the final play of the Chargers-Steelers game and the provisions of the rule book that apply to the situation to the SportingNews.com Ten-Pack on which we’re currently laboring. (Writing words is hard work; please pity me.)

For now, though, the news is that referee Scott Green admitted after the game that the Steelers should have been given credit for the touchdown that safety Troy Polamalu scored as time expired.

Via a lengthy replay review and conference, Green givethed a touchdown to the Steelers, and then takethed it away, claiming that an illegal forward pass that happened during the play requiring the officials to kill the play then and there.

“The rule was misinterpreted,” Green said. “We should have let the play go through in the end, yes. It was misinterpreted that instead of killing the play we should have let the play go through.”

Bottom line? Anyone who took the Chargers and the points is very happy. And anyone who took the Steelers and gave the points is peee-issed.

T&B fan
posted this in another thread but NBC half time show said Troy should have a TD . no forward pass . but the NFL will not change it ..

steelpride12
I care Bro. Only because eventually these idiots are going to cost us big. Plus, IMO Troys TD (which was taken away) was justice for all the BS/Ticky-Tack calls that went against us.

Normally I preach that these games are played too close and that the refs in fact DO have the power to change the course of the game. Thank the Lord above that our Steelers remained focused because not many teams could've gotten past these unforseen obstacles.

On another note: NO OTHER PLAYER in the NFL makes that play/catch aside from Troy Polamalu in the first QTR. Way to go Troy! :drink: Sorry that gipped you on the TD in the end.

Pretty funny how on the half time report of the Skins Dallas game everyone is wondering how the refs made such a ridiculous call about the backward pass when it was clear as day a legal lateral. :banging:

fansince'76
11-16-2008, 09:18 PM
Pretty funny how on the half time report of the Skins Dallas game everyone is wondering how the refs made such a ridiculous call about the backward pass when it was clear as day a legal lateral. :banging:

Probably has something to do with the difference between covering the spread and not covering the spread for the Chargers. 17-10 in my book.

stillers4me
11-16-2008, 09:19 PM
Who care about the point spread? If not for that safety, that little mistake would have cost us the game. And Troy should have the stat.....AGAIN. :banging::banging::banging::banging:

I'm sick of the refs changing the games and then saying.....oops, sorry. When are they going to be fined for screwing up? :mad:

T&B fan
11-16-2008, 09:23 PM
? say it is a TD then in that we had won any way would we have kicked a extra point still with no time left , anyone know the rule for sure ???

Sharkissle29
11-16-2008, 09:25 PM
turns out the call was right, but they still completely blew the call. unbelievable.

REFEREE ADMITS ERROR AT END OF CHARGERS-STEELERS GAME
Posted by Mike Florio on November 16, 2008, 10:01 p.m.

We’re going to defer the full-blown explanation of the events of the final play of the Chargers-Steelers game and the provisions of the rule book that apply to the situation to the SportingNews.com Ten-Pack on which we’re currently laboring. (Writing words is hard work; please pity me.)

For now, though, the news is that referee Scott Green admitted after the game that the Steelers should have been given credit for the touchdown that safety Troy Polamalu scored as time expired.

Via a lengthy replay review and conference, Green givethed a touchdown to the Steelers, and then takethed it away, claiming that an illegal forward pass that happened during the play requiring the officials to kill the play then and there.

“The rule was misinterpreted,” Green said. “We should have let the play go through in the end, yes. It was misinterpreted that instead of killing the play we should have let the play go through.”

Bottom line? Anyone who took the Chargers and the points is very happy. And anyone who took the Steelers and gave the points is peee-issed.

so the ref is apologizing that they had to make the call to cover the 4.5 point spread. the game was fixed, no doubt about it

stillers4me
11-16-2008, 09:27 PM
So will this finally get the Commish's attention?:coffee:

stillers4me
11-16-2008, 09:32 PM
Referee says officials errantly voided Steelers TD

By ALAN ROBINSON – 34 minutes ago

PITTSBURGH (AP) — The first 11-10 game in NFL history shouldn't have ended that way, referee Scott Green said after a last-minute touchdown was errantly taken away from the Pittsburgh Steelers on Sunday.

The officiating mistake didn't affect the outcome since the Steelers still would have won, but the touchdown would have changed the score to 17-10 — or, more likely, 18-10, since the teams were lined up for an extra-point try that was never attempted.

On first-and-10 from San Diego's 21 with 5 seconds remaining, Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers threw a short pass to LaDainian Tomlinson over the middle for 3 yards. Tomlinson turned and made a handoff-type lateral to wide receiver Chris Chambers, who attempted to pitch the ball to a teammate only to have safety Troy Polamalu scoop it up and score from the 12.

Both teams left the field on what looked to be a game-ending play, but were called back by the officials for the extra-point attempt. At that point, the replay official called for a review.

After watching the play, Green initially announced the ruling on the field was upheld and the touchdown counted. But the officiating crew huddled again before the extra-point attempt and changed the call, deciding that an illegal forward pass by Rivers should've ended the play.

Green, in a postgame interview with a pool reporter, said that call was errant — even though his explanation for the confusion was almost as confusing as the play itself.

"We should have let the play go through in the end, yes," Green said. "It was misinterpreted that instead of killing the play, we should have let the play go through."

Green said the confusion occurred because there was a misunderstanding about whether Rivers' pass or Tomlinson's lateral was in question.

"The first pass was the one that was illegal, but it only kills the play if it hits the ground," Green said. "That was incorrect to have killed it at that point. The ruling should have let the play go on. That's just the way that it played out. We believe the second pass (by Tomlinson) was legal."

Green was asked why, since the first pass by Rivers did not hit the ground, the officials decided after huddling that the play should have ended there.

"We didn't kill it on the field," Green said. "After (the) discussion we decided ... there was some confusion over which pass we were talking about and it was decided that it was the second pass that was illegal that did hit the ground and therefore we killed the play there."

However, the officials realized afterward they erred.

"I know," Green said. "The rule was misinterpreted."

Asked about the officiating — the Steelers drew 115 yards in penalties to the Chargers' 5 — Pittsburgh coach Mike Tomlin declined to comment.

"No, I have never seen a game ended with 13-to-1 in penalties, but I am not answering questions about the officiating," Tomlin said.

The call affected betting on the game since the Steelers were 5-point favorites and would have covered if the touchdown counted.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5i1GZ1rpRU_OWSdhg8OHJz3-QEEpwD94GDRUG0

tony hipchest
11-16-2008, 09:46 PM
Oh goodness people.

Come on.you know what? screw the freaking seahawk fans.

i dont know who placed this "holier than thou" crown ontop of steelerfans heads, but sometimes i get a bit sick of wearing it especially if it negates our right to rip the refs when they completely rob our players of great plays.

i will always despise the call against polamalu in 05 vs. the colts, and i will always despise the refs robbing him of a td today. if a few think that makes me less of a "fan" or the equivalent of a seahawk fan then so be it.

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

fansince'76
11-16-2008, 09:51 PM
"No, I have never seen a game ended with 13-to-1 in penalties....," Tomlin said.

Be prepared, Mike - you will again. 2 Weeks from now in Foxboro.

Think we got jobbed today, folks? Just you wait. Don't be surprised when our radio system "malfunctions" either.

X-Terminator
11-16-2008, 10:01 PM
you know what? screw the freaking seahawk fans.

i dont know who placed this "holier than thou" crown ontop of steelerfans heads, but sometimes i get a bit sick of wearing it especially if it negates our right to rip the refs when they completely rob our players of great plays.

i will always despise the call against polamalu in 05 vs. the colts, and i will always despise the refs robbing him of a td today. if a few think that makes me less of a "fan" or the equivalent of a seahawk fan then so be it.

Nobody really did, but Steelers fans got all over Shehawks fans for all of the whining they did about the officiating after XL, and we don't want to be compared to them. It's kind of tough to not bitch when the bad call was pretty blatant, as it was today with Troy's TD.

BozMan
11-16-2008, 10:06 PM
"I know," Green said. "The rule was misinterpreted."

It's disgusting that the refs don't understand how to apply the rules.

bozz723
11-16-2008, 10:07 PM
Oh goodness people.

Come on.

Yes,

I never complain about officiating, ever. This isn't complaining, this is the first time ever where everyone saw blatant cheating, and game fixing. They were caught, and can't even explain themselves afterwards.

The refs throughout the entire game were blatantly calling the game one sided, it is just the way it was, and the nail in the coffin was the end of the game which cemented the fact that they were probably paid to have the Chargers cover the spread.

It was the biggest joke in history. They reviewed the play at the end, then UPHELD the TD, then they huddled and decided it 3wasn't a touchdown!

Are you serious?! That has never happened before in history, and it was laughable how bad they wanted to Chargers to cover.

An investigation needs to be thrown down NOW.

Steelman16
11-16-2008, 10:45 PM
Yes,

I never complain about officiating, ever. This isn't complaining, this is the first time ever where everyone saw blatant cheating, and game fixing. They were caught, and can't even explain themselves afterwards.

The refs throughout the entire game were blatantly calling the game one sided, it is just the way it was, and the nail in the coffin was the end of the game which cemented the fact that they were probably paid to have the Chargers cover the spread.

It was the biggest joke in history. They reviewed the play at the end, then UPHELD the TD, then they huddled and decided it 3wasn't a touchdown!

Are you serious?! That has never happened before in history, and it was laughable how bad they wanted to Chargers to cover.

An investigation needs to be thrown down NOW.

That right there is what ticks me off. Even if it had been the Chargers who were jipped, it only leads me to believe that there is a lot going on behind the scenes that the average fans don't know about.

That makes me mad. :mad:

TheWarDen86
11-16-2008, 10:51 PM
Be prepared, Mike - you will again. 2 Weeks from now in Foxboro.

Think we got jobbed today, folks? Just you wait. Don't be surprised when our radio system "malfunctions" either.

That's only funny right up until I realize that it's the truth.:doh:

jjpro11
11-16-2008, 10:52 PM

i have to agree here.. seahags played like shit all game and lost because of it. if they want to pout and spew about the refs then let them.. if i see a bad call, im going to complain. today we saw a one-sided officiated game with plenty of bad calls and an outright incorrect call.

iloveben7
11-16-2008, 10:55 PM
I'm not complaining at all. I just hate how the refs realize stuff AFTER the game-I think it's done on purpose.

Preacher
11-16-2008, 11:07 PM

All the same fans who told the Seahawk fans to shut up about the reffing, that you play through it, that they were just dreaming about all the bad calls.

I have no problems calling out the refs on a bad play. But to actually think that the entire NFL reffing union and the NFL FO has it in for us. . . why? That's where I draw the line. It is utterly crazy.

I saw two calls against us that should NOT have been called...actually three.

I also saw about 3 calls that SHOULD have been called against the Chargers and weren't.

So? DOes that REALLY mean the fix is in? To me, it means that we need to clean up the 9 or so penalties THAT WERE RIGHTLY CALLED ON US.

However, I AM constantly amazed at how Troy gets screwed out of calls... :noidea:

klick81
11-16-2008, 11:36 PM
All the same fans who told the Seahawk fans to shut up about the reffing, that you play through it, that they were just dreaming about all the bad calls.

I have no problems calling out the refs on a bad play. But to actually think that the entire NFL reffing union and the NFL FO has it in for us. . . why? That's where I draw the line. It is utterly crazy.

I saw two calls against us that should NOT have been called...actually three.

I also saw about 3 calls that SHOULD have been called against the Chargers and weren't.

So? DOes that REALLY mean the fix is in? To me, it means that we need to clean up the 9 or so penalties THAT WERE RIGHTLY CALLED ON US.

However, I AM constantly amazed at how Troy gets screwed out of calls... :noidea:

So using your math...SIX calls/non-calls that worked against one team (not evenly distributed against both teams on the field), is not something to gripe about? Come on man...something's def. going on here.

Preacher
11-17-2008, 12:39 AM
So using your math...SIX calls/non-calls that worked against one team (not evenly distributed against both teams on the field), is not something to gripe about? Come on man...something's def. going on here.

Yep.

Reffing MISTAKES

I have not problem calling them mistakes.

I have a problem when conspiracy theories, thinking the refs or the league is in the bag for the other team, or that our team is singled out, is promulgated as the reason for all the penalties.

9, maybe 10 of our penalties today was because OUR GUYS COMMITTED THEM.

Sure, they missed a 3 or 4 against the Chargers... but that MISTAKES.

jjpro11
11-17-2008, 01:17 AM
they werent trying to fix this game.. but there are some major idiots with officiating positions that seriously need their jobs re-evaluated.

T&B fan
11-17-2008, 08:01 AM
they werent trying to fix this game.. but there are some major idiots with officiating positions that seriously need their jobs re-evaluated.

full time year round refs . maybe then they can read the rule book and know them