PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin and Arians Got the Win.

Preacher
11-16-2008, 06:50 PM
I know I know, they don't play the game.

But let's look at what they DID do.

Tomlin: Called Ben out. Either he practices, or he sits. So what happens? Ben comes out and throws over 300 yards with no INTS.

Arians: Started calling short passes. They worked. He didn't go away from what was working, until there was enough room to open up the run.

I was down on Arians agaisnt the Skins.

But I gotta give credit where it is due. These two coaches are VERY responsible for this win today.

steelpride12
11-16-2008, 06:53 PM
I have always like Arians, but there alot of Arians haters out there and im sure we will hear it the rest of the season.

He knew Ben was playing bad and set him up for short passes all game and you get this: Ben 31-41 with 308 and no INT's!

The Duke
11-16-2008, 06:55 PM
Fire Ar....

oh, not that kind of thread. ok

No complains about coaches today. O line on the other hand had its bad moments, but overall solid

Tomlin: Called Ben out. Either he practices, or he sits. So what happens? Ben comes out and throws over 300 yards with no INTS.

Ben has to practice every week now....

slippy
11-16-2008, 06:55 PM
i'm on the fence with arians. why did it take him so long to figure out that russell behind a fullback is a great way to pick up a 3rd and one?

NV STEELERS 723
11-16-2008, 06:57 PM
Arians needs a FB though...I keep saying that!

LVSteelersfan
11-16-2008, 06:58 PM
Should be Russell on third and one at the goal line from now on. But Arians is freakin stubborn so who knows what he will do in that situation.

bozz723
11-16-2008, 06:59 PM
The 4th and inches on the goal line was inexcusable. Arians would be the worst offensive coordinator in the league if the offense wasn't so talented.

PisnNapalm
11-16-2008, 07:01 PM
The 4th and inches on the goal line was inexcusable. Arians would be the worst offensive coordinator in the league if the offense wasn't so talented.

I agree. QB sneak it for that half a yard for a touchdown. I was yelling at the TV like you couldn't believe.

moedap
11-16-2008, 07:03 PM
Taking the short passes in football is like shooting the jumper in basketball. A defender will give you the jumper until you prove you can hit it. Especially if you are good enough to drive it down the lane and take a layup(which is a lot harder to accomplish with a half court defense). Big Ben knows how to drive it up the lane(passes that net more than 10 yards). The defenses are successfully taking that away from Big Ben and challenging him to make the jumpers. As soon as Big Ben starts attempting the jumpers with more frequency the lanes are going to open up again for the layups.

MillerMania83
11-16-2008, 07:06 PM
I will give credit where credit is due, and Tomlin making Ben practice sure looked like it had an effect on #7 as he was SUPER SHARP to day....And BA seemed to call a very good game today for the most part, as the O was pretty successful most of the day, even though we had NO TD's....The refs were horrible, but I'm sure some of the calls were legit, ya just can't have that many penalties called on your team.

I do have a gripe though, WTH was that first drive call by sending Reed out to try a 51yd field goal in those conditions....There is basically NO WAY he's going to make that kick, ya either have to go for it, or punt it, if ya miss it like they did, you are setting up SD in GREAT field position, which resulted in a TD, even though it was a bullcrap interfierence call that really set it up, JMO, BAD CALL to try and kick the field goal there....Also, it was nice to see Fast Willie back, he sure makes a difference, too bad they didn't give it to him at the goal line when they got stuffed again and had to settle for 3 by Reed....But a win is a win, and I'm sure every Steeler fan out there WILL TAKE IT.

VTsteel
11-16-2008, 07:09 PM
I agree. QB sneak it for that half a yard for a touchdown. I was yelling at the TV like you couldn't believe.

I agree I was yelling for the sneak as well.

ben7
11-16-2008, 07:11 PM
On the 4th and 1, Arians should of called a sneak. We got a 6'5 QB who can easly get a half yard on a sneak. I dont trust Carey Davis.

Steelers & I
11-16-2008, 07:13 PM
Although todays game was far from perfect, it was a step in the right direction for the Steelers offense. I believe that most Arians haters will get off of his back if he continues with SOME of the things that he did today.

It's funny that all of the haters HAVE BEEN calling for Arians to run an offense similar to that of today, i.e..shorter pass routes, I-Formation running plays, running behind a fullback, running on 3rd and short rather than passing from a 4 wide set, etc. Well I guess us Arians haters were right because you saw a lot of it today.

During the game, I liked one comment in particular by Phil Simms; after Russell runs for a 1st down, behind a FB, Jim Nance says, "It looks like the Steelers have found a short yardage back". Phil Simms replies, "Or a short yardage CALL" Right on Phil!

It's a win and I'm happy with it. I'll even lay off of Arians this week and hope that he continues with, and adds on to, some of the things that I saw today.

Preacher
11-16-2008, 07:14 PM

With a bad shoulder? Naa. I wouldn't have wanted to see that.

Fact is, Tomlin and Arians pulled this game out of their rear-ends.

I think they deserve a hand for winning this.

Sharkissle29
11-16-2008, 07:14 PM
I wouldnt give arains credit just yet. what it took him 3 weeks to finally figure out to call short pass plays?

bozz723
11-16-2008, 07:16 PM

You're insane then. If Ben can't get inches on a sneak because of his bad shoulder he shouldn't be playing the game.

Preacher
11-16-2008, 07:26 PM
You're insane then. If Ben can't get inches on a sneak because of his bad shoulder he shouldn't be playing the game.

Excuse me.

I am not worried about getting a few inches. I am worried about him getting hit after he gets the inches and hurt again, like happened in Washington.

Amazing how we forget about things like that.

Steelman16
11-16-2008, 07:31 PM
Excuse me.

I am not worried about getting a few inches. I am worried about him getting hit after he gets the inches and hurt again, like happened in Washington.

And then we'd all get to go 'round the mulberry bush again.

Ben hurt. Must be Arians fault. Fire Arians. Fire Tomlin. Oh wait, we won...hold that thought another week... Ben hurt....

:chuckle:

Preacher
11-16-2008, 07:36 PM
And then we'd all get to go 'round the mulberry bush again.

Ben hurt. Must be Arians fault. Fire Arians. Fire Tomlin. Oh wait, we won...hold that thought another week... Ben hurt....

Yep.

Some of the very people that are crying for Ben to run that sneak,

Would be crying, "Why run Ben on a sneak with a bad shoulder? That is how he hurt it last time. What an idiot. Fire Arians!"

This places gets a little ridiculous at times.

stillers4me
11-16-2008, 07:39 PM
Yep.

Some of the very people that are crying for Ben to run that sneak,

Would be crying, "Why run Ben on a sneak with a bad shoulder? That is how he hurt it last time. What an idiot. Fire Arians!"

This places gets a little ridiculous at times.

Agreed. That's how Ben got hurt in the 'Skins game......by doing a Jerome imitation. He's capable of it, but right now it's not worth it.

SteelCityMan786
11-16-2008, 07:41 PM
Arians needs a FB though...I keep saying that!

He's got one in Russel!

Steelers & I
11-16-2008, 07:47 PM
Excuse me.

That's why the ass hat needs to develop a few short yardage plays for Dennis Dixon.

PisnNapalm
11-16-2008, 07:48 PM

They pulled it out of their asses alright. It stunk up the place something awful. :doh:

We lose the game if the defense didn't get that safety. Don't forget that. The offense did not win us this game.

steeltheone
11-16-2008, 07:48 PM
Russell is always going forward...legs keep moving

X-Terminator
11-16-2008, 07:50 PM
That's why the ass hat needs to develop a few short yardage plays for Dennis Dixon.

I have seen this mentioned many times. You do realize that if Dixon comes in, as the 3rd string QB, the starter cannot come back into the game? They CAN'T run any plays for him as a result.

SteelCityMan786
11-16-2008, 07:51 PM
I have seen this mentioned many times. You do realize that if Dixon comes in, as the 3rd string QB, the starter cannot come back into the game? That is why they don't have any plays for him.

Unless the No.3 gets injured.

Steelman16
11-16-2008, 07:52 PM
He's got one in Russel!

Russell ain't a fullback. If he was, why ain't he starting over Davis?

What I'm dreaming of is another Dan Kreider with reciever hands. Just think about that for a moment.

Yup, I hear it...it's there...there it is...

JOHN KUHN!

X-Terminator
11-16-2008, 07:53 PM
Unless the No.3 gets injured.

Exactly. And how many times does that happen? So there will be no plays for Dixon as long as he's the 3rd string no matter how many people call for it.

Steelers & I
11-16-2008, 07:56 PM
They pulled it out of their asses alright. It stunk up the place something awful. :doh:

We lose the game if the defense didn't get that safety. Don't forget that. The offense did not win us this game.

The defense has won most of our games for us. I did however see a few things from the offense that I liked today, shorter WR routes, running from the I-Formation, running on 3rd and short rather than passing from a 4 WR set.

I find it funny that "pro-Arians members" act as if the Arians bashers are supposed to jump in here and give him praise when the Steelers win. It's ridiculous at times.
Arians offensive play calls have been bad even in victory with the DEFENSE pulling out the win.

As I've already stated, I'm going to lay off of Arians this week, I did see a few things that I liked today, things that Arians bashers have been calling for since last season. Hopefully this becomes a trend.

Preacher
11-16-2008, 07:56 PM

ON the other side, we moved the ball up and down the field without a turnover.

We had what, over 423 yards between Ben and Willie.

Sure, we didn't get in the endzone today.

BUt with that kind of offense, moving the ball like that. Well, I don't want to change a thing. We are about to see our offense breakout, at just about the right time of the year.

SteelCityMan786
11-16-2008, 07:57 PM
Exactly. And how many times does that happen? So there will be no plays for Dixon as long as he's the 3rd string no matter how many people call for it.

Unless they use him in a Randle El Roll where he is doing gadget plays.

Steelers & I
11-16-2008, 08:00 PM
I have seen this mentioned many times. You do realize that if Dixon comes in, as the 3rd string QB, the starter cannot come back into the game? They CAN'T run any plays for him as a result.

Ok then, I'm sure that Leftwich could run a QB sneek.

missedgehead
11-16-2008, 08:01 PM
I will take the win, but the offense has to score more than 11 points to make any noise in the playoffs. JMO

BozMan
11-16-2008, 08:01 PM
Who decides on the snap counts? I didn't understand why we so frequently had such long snap counts. I think we already lead the league in delay of game penalties. Why take so many chances on adding to that tally?

SteelCityMan786
11-16-2008, 08:03 PM
Who decides on the snap counts? I didn't understand why we so frequently had such long snap counts. I think we already lead the league in delay of game penalties. Why take so many chances on adding to that tally?

Sometimes they want to draw teams offsides is my only guess.

Preacher
11-16-2008, 08:05 PM
its also about getting to the line and running the clock down to 1 before you snap it.

Eat up the clock.

Steelman16
11-16-2008, 08:07 PM

Attempting to draw the defense offsides. But my own personal opinion is that Ben likes it that way, goes with his laid-back mentality and allows him a little more time to read the defense.

Usually we get it off with 1-2 seconds left on the playclock, but today it bit us a few times.

SteelCityMan786
11-16-2008, 08:11 PM
Attempting to draw the defense offsides. But my own personal opinion is that Ben likes it that way, goes with his laid-back mentality and allows him a little more time to read the defense.

Usually we get it off with 1-2 seconds left on the playclock, but today it bit us a few times.

Came close to doing that once.

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
11-16-2008, 08:29 PM
I didn't get to see much of the game, just a the second quarter. What seemed to be the problem getting it into the endzone? From what I saw on some of the in game highlights it looked like we were moving the ball efficiently, what went wrong?

BozMan
11-16-2008, 08:36 PM
Regarding the 4th and Goal play: Didn't we have some more timeouts in our pocket? It seemed like there was a lot of confusion on behalf of our players, and they were rushing to get into the right position at the last second.

(Or am I not remembering correctly? Did we already call timeout before the play?)

Dino 6 Rings
11-16-2008, 08:46 PM
Breaking it down for Arians

1st 10, Run 4 yards
2nd 6, pass, 17 yards
1st 10, pass Inc
2nd 10, SACK
3rd 18, (Shotgun) pass 13 yards
Missed FG

1st 10 Run 10 yards
1st 10 (no huddle) Run 2 yards
2nd 8 (no huddle Shotgun) pass 7 yards
3rd 1 Run 4 yards
1st 10 (no huddle) Run 13 yards
1st 10 (no huddle) Pass (Penalty Formation 5 yards)
1st 15 (Shotgun) Pass 30 yards
1st goal Run 4 yards
2nd goal Pass SACK
3rd goal (Shotgun) Pass 7 yards
4th Goal Run Stuffed at the 1.

1st 10 Run 6 yards
2nd 4 Pass 9 yards
1st 10 Run 1 yard
2nd 9 pass 7 yards
3rd 2 (Shotgun) pass 4 yards
1st 10 Run 2 yards (HOLDING)
1st 18 Pass 4 yards
2nd 14 Pass 4 yards
3rd 10 (Shotgun) SACK
4th 19 Punt

1st 10 Pass 15 yards
1st 10 Pass INC
2nd 10 Pass 9 yards
3rd 1 Run 0 yards
4th 1 PUNT

1st 10 Shotgun pass 6 yards
2nd 4 (no huddle Shotgun) pass 2 yards
3rd 2 (NH SG) pass 7 yards Timeout
1st 10 Shotgun pass 14 yards
1st 10 (no huddle) Spike
2nd 10 (Shotgun) Pass 6 yards Timeout
3rd 4 (Shotgun) Pass 19 yards
1st 3, Field Goal.

Dino 6 Rings
11-16-2008, 08:55 PM
3rd Qt

1st 10 Rush 6 yards
2nd 4 pass 11 yards (Penalty Ward Block)
2nd 3 Rush 2 yards
3rd 1 Rush (Russell) 6 yards
1st 10 (Shotgun) Pass INC
2nd 10 Pass 11 yards
1st 10 Rush 3 yards
2nd 7 Rush 9 yards
1st 10 (No Huddle) Pass 5 yards
2nd 5 (No Huddle) pass INC
3rd 5 (Shotgun) pass INC
4th 5 Field Goal

1st 10 Run 3 yards
2nd 7 Pass 8 yards
1st 10 No Huddle, Run 9 yards
2nd 1 No Huddle, pass INC
3rd 1 Run 4 yards
1st 10 No Huddle Shotgun (Penalty Holmes False start)
1st 15 Run 4 yards
2nd 11 No Huddle Pass 11 yards
1st 10 PENALTY False Start
2nd 15 Run 2 yards.
3rd 13 Shotgun SACK
4th 14 PUNT

Last Drive
1st 10 Pass 13 yards
1st 10 Run 10 yards
1st 10 No Huddle Run 4 yards
2nd 6 Shotgun Pass 15 yards
1st 10 Run 3 yards PENALTY Ward Holding
1st 20 Pass 7 yards
2nd 13 Shotgun Pass 7 yards
3rd 6 Shotgun Pass 7 yards
1st 10 No Huddle Shotgun Pass 13 yards
1st 10 Run 6 yards. 2 min warning
1st 10 Run 6 yards
2nd 4 Run 5 yards
1st 10 Run 2 yards
2nd 8 Run 4 yards
3rd 4 Run 4 yards TD (PENALTY holding)
3rd 14 Field Goal (Game Winner)

Preacher
11-16-2008, 09:43 PM
TIME OF POSSESSION: 36:31

that's steeler football. run the ball, control the clock, play good defense

Not really, because today, the pass ended up setting up the run, not the other way around.

Richmondfan
11-16-2008, 10:07 PM
I only read the header and some posts but ...are some of you on crack...and dont discredit my post because I havent posted 3,000 times believe me I understand the game.
if your QB throws for over 300 yds and your Rb rushes for over 100 yds why are you kicking a field goal as time expires to get to 11 points. The continuity on the O is horrible. If you dont have a short yardage run game dont put yourself in 3 rd and short. I will give them credit for making adjustments at half for the first time all season. They have more talent on offence than the statistics indicate. A win is a win for sure but Arians sucks. He was a loser in Cleveland and he hasnt gotten any better. He is good working with receivers but not good a schematic coach. Regardling Tomlin, I like the enthusiasm but so you think the Steelers would be that undisciplined under Cowher and do you think they would have blown the Giants game or the Colts game. Before you give him credit look at the Defensive talent that continues to win game for them.

X-Terminator
11-16-2008, 10:29 PM
and dont discredit my post because I havent posted 3,000 times believe me I understand the game.

I'm getting real tired of reading this. What is so difficult to understand about coming here and making sense with your posts and coming here, make no sense, start shit and then demand to be taken seriously? The former is perfectly fine. The latter gets you called on the carpet. It really isn't rocket science, dude.

if your QB throws for over 300 yds and your Rb rushes for over 100 yds why are you kicking a field goal as time expires to get to 11 points. The continuity on the O is horrible. If you dont have a short yardage run game dont put yourself in 3 rd and short. I will give them credit for making adjustments at half for the first time all season. They have more talent on offence than the statistics indicate. A win is a win for sure but Arians sucks. He was a loser in Cleveland and he hasnt gotten any better. He is good working with receivers but not good a schematic coach. Regardling Tomlin, I like the enthusiasm but so you think the Steelers would be that undisciplined under Cowher and do you think they would have blown the Giants game or the Colts game. Before you give him credit look at the Defensive talent that continues to win game for them.

I personally would have attempted to go for the TD. But when you're at the 14, there's 15 seconds left and the other team has no time outs, why not just take the points and the lead? Only a miracle was going to give the Chargers a chance to win the game at that point, so I don't mind the decision. As for the comparisons with Cowher's team, first of all, we should stop doing it. Cowher and Tomlin are two different coaches with two different styles. And second, let's not forget all of the AFCC choke jobs his teams suffered when they were clearly the better team. So let's not make him up to be some infallible god - he was a great coach, but he had his "shake your head" moments too.

Preacher
11-16-2008, 10:45 PM
I'm getting real tired of reading this. What is so difficult to understand about coming here and making sense with your posts and coming here, make no sense, start shit and then demand to be taken seriously? The former is perfectly fine. The latter gets you called on the carpet. It really isn't rocket science, dude.

I personally would have attempted to go for the TD. But when you're at the 14, there's 15 seconds left and the other team has no time outs, why not just take the points and the lead? Only a miracle was going to give the Chargers a chance to win the game at that point, so I don't mind the decision. As for the comparisons with Cowher's team, first of all, we should stop doing it. Cowher and Tomlin are two different coaches with two different styles. And second, let's not forget all of the AFCC choke jobs his teams suffered when they were clearly the better team. So let's not make him up to be some infallible god - he was a great coach, but he had his "shake your head" moments too.

To be honest,

We OFTEN lost those type of games under Cowher, SPECIFICALLY because if we couldn't get the run game going, we were screwed. Only in 94 and 95, and again 10 years later was that different.

I love Cowher, enjoyed having him as our coach. But yep, he sure had his moments too.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-17-2008, 12:32 AM
Taking the short passes in football is like shooting the jumper in basketball. A defender will give you the jumper until you prove you can hit it. Especially if you are good enough to drive it down the lane and take a layup(which is a lot harder to accomplish with a half court defense). Big Ben knows how to drive it up the lane(passes that net more than 10 yards). The defenses are successfully taking that away from Big Ben and challenging him to make the jumpers. As soon as Big Ben starts attempting the jumpers with more frequency the lanes are going to open up again for the layups.

Dude, you just made an analogy that Layups = longer passes and Jumpshot= short passes ........that is backwards and wacked out.

Steelers cant run on 3rd and 1, so they have to throw passes. That is like Shaq having to shoot a jumper because he cant hit a free throw......its pitiful.