PDA

View Full Version : Matt Spaeth

CanadianSteel
11-16-2008, 10:08 PM
Must admit been pleasantly surprised at how well he has played as #1 TE past 2 weeks. Made some nice catches and run after cathes the past couple games..... Maybe we should try one to him around the goal line with his height....

Can I get a hell ya !!

SteelCityMan786
11-16-2008, 10:09 PM
Must admit been pleasantly surprised at how well he has played as #1 TE past 2 weeks. Made some nice catches and run after cathes the past couple games..... Maybe we should try one to him around the goal line with his height....

Can I get a hell ya !!

He's pretty much stepping up and filling a big void left by Heath Miller. He's been a big asset and knows when to step up. I've been impressed with him. Hopefully he continues to get better and by Thursday he has another great game.

steelpride12
11-16-2008, 10:11 PM
When Miller is injured he is the guy. When Miller is around we won't see him much because he is in there primarily for blocking on running downs.
Last season Spaeth had a few nice TD catches and i think once Miller returns we should both lets this guys let lose and show what they got.
Spaeth played well tonight and got us some key first downs, can't ask for more.

stillers4me
11-16-2008, 10:14 PM
Any ETA on Miller returning?

HereWeGoSteelers219
11-16-2008, 10:28 PM
Any ETA on Miller returning?

Stan Savran said the New England game.

tyler289
11-16-2008, 10:30 PM
Guess he isn't such a terrible 3rd-round pick after all.

Came up big today and I'm glad to see him playing well.

SunshineMan21
11-16-2008, 10:44 PM
It's good for Spaeth to get an opportunity . . . if Ben has confidence in him then Arians' beloved multi-TE sets might start working better.

BozMan
11-16-2008, 10:52 PM
Spaeth has done a tremendous job filling in for Miller, both in blocking and receiving. That said, I still miss Heath.

MasterOfPuppets
11-16-2008, 10:59 PM
spaeth should always be the starter, trade miller for a big back...........:stirthepot: .....:chuckle:

Preacher
11-16-2008, 11:02 PM
spaeth should always be the starter, trade miller for a big back...........:stirthepot: .....:chuckle:

:buttkick:

Hapa
11-16-2008, 11:09 PM
When they're both back, that'd create AWESOME matchup problems for any defense. Two huge, potent receivers like that.

paw-n-maul-u
11-16-2008, 11:17 PM
I think it's safe to chalk up tomlins first draft as a success.

Woodley-huge

Timmons-showing signs, and i think he would be fine starting anyways, although foote is playing well.

Speath-i think we've seen a decent amount to show that he was well worth his draft spot. I bet he could start for a number of teams in the NFL too.

Sep- Starting punter

... so we nailed the first four picks. and william gay is making his first start too.

first five picks of last years draft had all made starts at some point in their second season. that is one helluva draft.

slippy
11-16-2008, 11:18 PM
why can't miller get the chance to catch six passes per game? you never throw to the TE until the backup comes in. i'm puzzled, mr arians.

Rek
11-16-2008, 11:23 PM
I was probably the only person last year who was cheering for Spaeth or Daniel Sepulveda as Rookie of the Year. :tt:

MasterOfPuppets
11-16-2008, 11:31 PM
why can't miller get the chance to catch six passes per game? you never throw to the TE until the backup comes in. i'm puzzled, mr arians.

element of suprise ? :noidea:

OneForTheToe
11-17-2008, 01:36 AM

Spaeth is taller. Ben will only throw to tall receivers because he hates short one's.:coffee::wink02:

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-17-2008, 01:37 AM
For all the size that Spaeth has.....I would hope he develops into a better blocker. He's still kind of weak in that area.

Rek
11-17-2008, 01:48 AM
For all the size that Spaeth has.....I would hope he develops into a better blocker. He's still kind of weak in that area.
Ooh I beg to differ. That little dump off pass to Ward for the 1st down was because of Spaeth not only lead-blocking one, but TWO Chargers. I think he is just fine blocking, and his height makes him a bigger target than Heath. I love how when he grabs the ball, he immediately gets two hands on it and lowers the hit. Great young player, very promising.

augustashark
11-17-2008, 01:51 AM
The thing I really like about the guy is one of the things I really like about Miller, when they make a catch they get straight up the field! No east west bs just north and south.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-17-2008, 02:23 AM
Ooh I beg to differ. That little dump off pass to Ward for the 1st down was because of Spaeth not only lead-blocking one, but TWO Chargers. I think he is just fine blocking, and his height makes him a bigger target than Heath. I love how when he grabs the ball, he immediately gets two hands on it and lowers the hit. Great young player, very promising.

Can you please name another play where Spaeth made another great block?? Please name another play where he blocked 2 DB's that he outwieghs by 60 lbs.

If we judge a players ability by 1 single play.....then that block Colon made on Williams should get him a pro bowl nod. :wink:

Watch Spaeth in 20 run plays, not just one and you will see he often gets too high on defenders and doesnt keep a wide enough base, so they slip off him and get in to make a tackle. Heath Miller, even Jerame Tuman are/were better blockers. Good player, but still needs a lot of improvement as a blocker.

jjpro11
11-17-2008, 03:00 AM
spaeth was a nice under the radar steal there in the 3rd round. everyone chalked him up as a wasted pick, but now look what he's done in his first two seasons. i am pretty sure we are set at tight end for the next 8-10 years with him and miller.

Galax Steeler
11-17-2008, 05:14 AM
Spaeth had a good game he stepped up and made some good plays hopefully he will continue to play well untill Miller can get back from his injury.

memphissteelergirl
11-17-2008, 10:11 AM
When they're both back, that'd create AWESOME matchup problems for any defense. Two huge, potent receivers like that.

:iagree:

Rek
11-17-2008, 12:31 PM
Can you please name another play where Spaeth made another great block?? Please name another play where he blocked 2 DB's that he outwieghs by 60 lbs.

If we judge a players ability by 1 single play.....then that block Colon made on Williams should get him a pro bowl nod. :wink:

Watch Spaeth in 20 run plays, not just one and you will see he often gets too high on defenders and doesnt keep a wide enough base, so they slip off him and get in to make a tackle. Heath Miller, even Jerame Tuman are/were better blockers. Good player, but still needs a lot of improvement as a blocker.

The kid has only had 2 or 3 games to prove himself. Give it some time, I'm in no hurry to rush Miller back or abandon ship on Spaeth. He'll be ok the more exposure he gets.

steelreserve
11-17-2008, 12:44 PM
I like what I saw, but I'll be glad when Miller is back. Don't know exactly what it is, but Miller just seems like a bigger threat to get open over the middle and turn some of those plays into 30-yard gains.

Don't get me wrong -- there's nothing wrong with catching 10- and 15-yard passes all day like Speath was, but after he caught the ball, it looked like he was mostly tentative with the anticipation that he was going to get creamed, not concentrating on making a big play. Still, if our tight ends have that kind of a day every game, I'll take it.

ShutDown24
11-17-2008, 12:54 PM
I love it when most people bash a draft pick... Then a season later topics come up like this about a player.

Michael Keller
11-17-2008, 01:04 PM
Use the guy on the goal line offense, Hell do anything but may it be different. LOL

Steely McSmash
11-17-2008, 01:07 PM
I think Spaeth is a good Arians type-of tool in combination with Heath.

Heath is a better blocker and has excellent hands. He looks natural running after the catch.

Spaeth is average with the hands (~70%) and looks a little wary running after the catch. He seems really upright when getting hit but is making an obvious effort to protect the ball. I think filling in is helping him improve overall.

Can we run a 2 TE I-formation package? so many options...

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-17-2008, 07:02 PM
Can we run a 2 TE I-formation package? so many options...

Great Idea!!! Put McHugh at FB in the I and it really opens up the game plan.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-17-2008, 07:04 PM
I love it when most people bash a draft pick... Then a season later topics come up like this about a player.

Even better....2 games later they go back to bashing the pick. :chuckle:

steelwall
11-17-2008, 07:09 PM
Spaeth was a sure handed reciever in college, and I think he can catch. His blocking ability was allways the question. Weather or not he could block in the NFL.

He's doing a good job filling in for "who I think" is the best tight end in football.

I am for Heath and Spaeth tandum in the redzone. Id like to see it used in the bunch formation.