PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin Pushing Buttons

Preacher
11-16-2008, 11:50 PM
According to NFLNetwork,

Tomlin called a Saturday evening meeting, and called out the big players.

"Big players make big plays."

Willie Parker said that he was SPECIFICALLY called out. He was injured, and it was time to step up.

Same with Ben.

Wow.

I like this guy more and more.

NJarhead
11-16-2008, 11:53 PM
According to NFLNetwork,

Willie Parker said that he was SPECIFICALLY called out. He was injured, and it was time to step up.

Same with Ben.

Wow.

Very impressed, but not at all surprised. I can't wait to see what he does with another draft or two under his belt. :tt03:

Rek
11-16-2008, 11:53 PM
According to NFLNetwork,

Same with Ben.

Wow.

I always loved Tomlin. Although, the coat he was wearing on the sidelines made him look more like an extra in a rap video than an NFL coach but nonetheless, I think Tomlin excels when he pushes his stars.

ajs8207
11-16-2008, 11:54 PM
According to NFLNetwork,

Same with Ben.

Wow.

This guy continues to impress me. He walks the tightrope of being well liked while being well respected. I went to my first game in two years, and this guy is out there during warm ups playing cornerback at times. I'm not sure if there's a coach I'd rather have right now, including Cowher.

Rek
11-16-2008, 11:55 PM
http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/getty/2008/09000d5d80c8a6c3_gallery_600.jpg

I could see him rapping with his hands in the background with T-Pain or Chris Brown lol

NJarhead
11-16-2008, 11:56 PM
Having been a follower, then a leader myself; this is just the guy an organization always wants to have up front. I'd follow Mike Tomlin.

SteelersGirlTN7
11-17-2008, 12:09 AM
I always loved Tomlin. Although, the coat he was wearing on the sidelines made him look more like an extra in a rap video than an NFL coach but nonetheless, I think Tomlin excels when he pushes his stars.

What? You didn't know we have Omar Epps for a head coach? LOL

Rek
11-17-2008, 12:18 AM

I wish I could style my hair so perfect and pointy. And he rocks the coolest pair of shades in the league. Move over cut-off hoodie, I think the Tomlin-look is sweeping the NFL.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-17-2008, 12:36 AM
Juice was a great movie.!!!

For all the button pushing......11 points is weak.

Preacher
11-17-2008, 12:52 AM
Juice was a great movie.!!!

For all the button pushing......11 points is weak.

Oh Come on.

You expect everything to fall in place in one week?

Unreal expectations. Period.

Ben looked VERY good. They have a few things to put together, but he looked so much better.

You build on this next week, and the week after.

next thing you know, our offense AND defense are at the top of their game, around the middle to the end of December. . . and that scares the league.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-17-2008, 01:01 AM
Oh Come on.

You expect everything to fall in place in one week?

Unreal expectations. Period.

Ben looked VERY good. They have a few things to put together, but he looked so much better.

You build on this next week, and the week after.

next thing you know, our offense AND defense are at the top of their game, around the middle to the end of December. . . and that scares the league.

No, what I believe happened is the buttons got pushed.....but there was not a great reaction. Tomlin probably asked his guys to man up and Defensively they have been all season, but Offensively you have to score those TD's on the goal line and the end of the game.

Those tough yards come down to WANT TO and the Chargers WANTED TO stop the ball more than the O wanted to score a TD. I bet if you could ask Mike Tomlin if having the ability to convert on 3rd and half yard or score 2 TD's on the goal line are "UNREAL EXPECTATIONS" he wouldn't think so. Period.

Preacher
11-17-2008, 01:06 AM
No, what I believe happened is the buttons got pushed.....but there was not a great reaction. Tomlin probably asked his guys to man up and Defensively they have been all season, but Offensively you have to score those TD's on the goal line and the end of the game.

Those tough yards come down to WANT TO and the Chargers WANTED TO stop the ball more than the O wanted to score a TD. I bet if you could ask Mike Tomlin if having the ability to convert on 3rd and half yard or score 2 TD's on the goal line are "UNREAL EXPECTATIONS" he wouldn't think so. Period.

Ben came up with 300 plus pass yards without an INT. WIllie puts up 125 or so rush yards... and those were two that SPECIFICALLY were called out. So yeah, it DID have a great reaction.

The fact is, when we have a O line that sucks, to expect them to turn great in a week is unreal expectations.

Actually, that series is one of the few that I think was horrible. We KNOW we can't run it anymore. So why try 3 straight times? Put in a play action, put in a short screen to Ward. Our O LINE does NOT have the ability to get the push necessary.

jjpro11
11-17-2008, 01:14 AM
we moved the ball and ben didnt make any stupid mistakes.. his arm looks fine, just like it did vs the colts.. if he can keep playing smart, and CHECK DOWN TO THE RUNNING BACK, we may do some things this year.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-17-2008, 01:16 AM
Actually, that series is one of the few that I think was horrible. We KNOW we can't run it anymore. So why try 3 straight times? Put in a play action, put in a short screen to Ward. Our O LINE does NOT have the ability to get the push necessary.

I agree, where is the play action passing on the goal line. Also, why run left when you could pull Kemo to trap to the right.

On the 3rd and short near midfield in the 2nd it was blocked fine by the line, but Carey Davis couldnt block his LB. At the end of the game, not having a good blocker like Miller or a real FB keeps them from getting in.

The O line is not great, but they dont deserve all the "scapegoating" they get. A FB, short yardage back and some element of suprise in the playcalling could improve the 3rd and short results.

Galax Steeler
11-17-2008, 04:10 AM
I wish he would push there buttons more often but I would like to see them put up more points then what they have been putting up.

stillers4me
11-17-2008, 05:34 AM
I liked the coat. :noidea:

And the sunglasses........ :thumbsup:

Oh, yeah, he's a great coach. Me loves me some Tomlinator. :wink02:

theplatypus
11-17-2008, 06:03 AM
Oh, yeah, he's a great coach. Me loves me some Tomlinator

Call me crazy, but I wouldn't label him as great by any means. In time he might end up being a great coach, but not at the moment.

steelpride12
11-17-2008, 08:00 AM
He went into that meeting made it short and sweet, addressed the players who need to step up, they did and we won. Tomlin made a good point.

Edman
11-17-2008, 08:18 AM
Yet, people want him fired whenever we lose.

The Offense woke up after spending weeks in hibernation. We're starting to move the ball, now we have to start getting in the endzone. Overall it was inspired effort by the Steelers yesterday. Ben and Willie stepped up big time.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-17-2008, 08:55 AM
He went into that meeting made it short and sweet, addressed the players who need to step up, they did and we won. Tomlin made a good point.

My question is ....What if Rivers throws a TD pass instead of that fluttering INT and the Steelers lost the game? Then everybody will be writing that Tomlin called the guys out and they didnt come thru.

Gotta keep it in perspective. It was a 1 point win.

fansince'76
11-17-2008, 09:00 AM
My question is ....What if Rivers throws a TD pass instead of that fluttering INT and the Steelers lost the game?

And what if Greg Warren didn't blow his knee out forcing Harrison into long snapping duties? What if Ben didn't throw a pick in our end close to the end of the 1st half in a game we were leading 17-7 at that point? A couple more "what-ifs" and we'd be 9-1 right now instead of 7-3.

RoethlisBURGHer
11-17-2008, 09:03 AM
My question is ....What if Rivers throws a TD pass instead of that fluttering INT and the Steelers lost the game? Then everybody will be writing that Tomlin called the guys out and they didnt come thru.

Now you're starting to deal with things that did not happen.

I think we are keeping things in persepctive, you just need something to constantly bitch about. A win is a win be it by one point or 100 points, it counts the same in the standings.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-17-2008, 09:05 AM
And what if Greg Warren didn't blow his knee out forcing Harrison into long snapping duties? What if Ben didn't throw a pick in our end close to the end of the 1st half in a game we were leading 17-7 at that point? A couple more "what-ifs" and we'd be 9-1 right now instead of 7-3.

My point isnt that we should bring up all the hypotheticals.

The point is that we lose a close one to the Colts last week and everybody thinks this teams is terrible...........now we win a game by 1 point and Tomlin and Arians are Masterminds, Ben is a Pro Bowl QB and Gary Russell is the short yardage back of a new generation .... :rofl:

TerribleSteelyMcBeam
11-17-2008, 09:08 AM
Yeah a win is a win is a win. And to all those saying that tomlins button pushing didnt really have that much of an impact... check the box score.

Willie over 100 yards
ben over 300

we had 24 first downs in the game
held LT to just over 3 yards p/c
forced 2 INT's and a fumble for safety

The only thing i saw wrong in that game that led it to be a one point win was our 13 penalties for 115 yards. If you have any complaints about this post, bring that up... not the performance of our players.

nice post preacher

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-17-2008, 09:16 AM
you just need something to constantly bitch about. A win is a win be it by one point or 100 points, it counts the same in the standings.

Right you are...., its a win and they dont ask how, they ask how many.

I dont need to bitch. I just refuse to ignore the fact that this offense is inept at being able to move the ball in short yardage situations. It was the difference in the playoff loss to Jacksonville last year and will be the difference in a playoff loss this year if it cant be corrected somehow.

RoethlisBURGHer
11-17-2008, 09:29 AM
Right you are...., its a win and they dont ask how, they ask how many.

I dont need to bitch. I just refuse to ignore the fact that this offense is inept at being able to move the ball in short yardage situations. It was the difference in the playoff loss to Jacksonville last year and will be the difference in a playoff loss this year if it cant be corrected somehow.

And maybe Garry Russel is that correction. We had a few short yardage situations where he came up big. He's no Jerome Bettis, but he's probally the best we have for the role right now.

ajs8207
11-17-2008, 09:55 AM

WHAT IF we score on fourth and goal, and Troy's touchdown counts? 25-10. Pretty much an ass kicking if you ask me.

WisconsinSteelerMan
11-17-2008, 10:33 AM
Well, if he is indeed a "button-pusher", then I think he needs to push some SERIOUS buttons this week in gearing up for next weekend. We need to STOP the stupid penalties. Whether or not you think the refs were biased or not, we just CANNOT have stupid penalties like that! How many drives did you see yesterday that were seriously heading in the right direction and DRIVING that were STOPPED by penalties that forced us into LONG yardage situations?

Penalties need to be first and foremost in our minds next weekend!!!

Mike in La Crosse, WI

TackleMeBen
11-17-2008, 11:12 AM
Well, if he is indeed a "button-pusher", then I think he needs to push some SERIOUS buttons this week in gearing up for next weekend. We need to STOP the stupid penalties. Whether or not you think the refs were biased or not, we just CANNOT have stupid penalties like that! How many drives did you see yesterday that were seriously heading in the right direction and DRIVING that were STOPPED by penalties that forced us into LONG yardage situations?

Penalties need to be first and foremost in our minds next weekend!!!

Mike in La Crosse, WI
i agree. those penalties were awful.. we looked undisciplined out there with all those penalties..i know that our guys can do much better than that. (although part of me wants to think its all the refs fault and they just dont like the steelers..lol)

i think coach tomlin is a great fit for our team. he is on his way of becoming a great coach and hopefully he will become great with the steelers.

memphissteelergirl
11-17-2008, 11:52 AM
I agree the officiating in this game was crappy, but the truth is a lot of the penalties we got called for were justified. C'mon, guys...you're professionals. No excuses for sloppy, undisciplined play.

TackleMeBen
11-17-2008, 05:51 PM
i heard mort on espn sportscenter say that he believed that hines was a target for getting penalties called against him. i know that he had two that i can remember.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-17-2008, 05:59 PM
And maybe Garry Russel is that correction. We had a few short yardage situations where he came up big. .

Maybe Russell is the correction. Maybe its running to the right with Kemo trapping(the old Boss Right play), maybe its lining Mchugh up as FB with Essex, Miller, Spaeth as TE's?

I sure hope the short yardage plan isnt......status quo.

austinfrench76
11-17-2008, 08:54 PM
I agree about the rap video comment.

Preacher
11-17-2008, 09:11 PM
My point isnt that we should bring up all the hypotheticals.

The point is that we lose a close one to the Colts last week and everybody thinks this teams is terrible...........now we win a game by 1 point and Tomlin and Arians are Masterminds, Ben is a Pro Bowl QB and Gary Russell is the short yardage back of a new generation .... :rofl:

That's actually exactly why you usually see me posting the opposite most weeks.

I feel like I am sitting down, watching people fly back and forth over me from THEY SUCK to THEY ARE THE BEST EVER without any in-between.

That is also why I am happy with what I saw Sunday. Because it was a lot better then last week, which was better than the week before.

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
11-17-2008, 09:15 PM
They moved the ball efficiently and protected it. Something they haven't done in quite some time. The numbers their offense put up don't reflect in the score because of a lot of penalties, albeit one sided. Lose the penalties and they score 30+ points that game.

stillers4me
11-17-2008, 10:00 PM
They moved the ball efficiently and protected it. Something they haven't done in quite some time. The numbers their offense put up don't reflect in the score because of a lot of penalties, albeit one sided. Lose the penalties and they shore 30+ points that game.

Yep. I'm pleased with the forward progress. Keep it moving that way.:drink:

Steelman16
11-17-2008, 11:01 PM
Yep. I'm pleased with the forward progress. Keep it moving that way.:drink:

That's also the way I'm looking at it. :tt02: It was a step in the right direction. People will look at the boxscore and see no offensive TD's, but all I saw was no turnovers. THAT is a good game IMO.

I loved Tomlin's coat. It was awesome. I love his style. Belicheck should take some lessons. :applaudit: