PDA

View Full Version : Da' turf Da' turf Da' turf

OneForTheToe
11-17-2008, 01:50 AM
First time this year it seemed to be getting torn up. Not that it was really bad. And not a surprise considering the weather. Moreover, both teams were able to execute their offenses, which is good enough. The only question I have is when are the high school playoffs at Heinz?

It would be nice if it was next weekend with the Steelers playing Thursday and then not back at Heinz until the 7th of December. I seem to remember thinking it was Thanksgiving weekend though. Which, if it is, would still be better than last season.

editted to add: Apparently it is this weekend. So, I believe Pitt is also away this week. Finally, a little break with the field usuage issue.

plenewken
11-17-2008, 06:41 AM
First time this year it seemed to be getting torn up. Not that it was really bad. And not a surprise considering the weather. Moreover, both teams were able to execute their offenses, which is good enough. The only question I have is when are the high school playoffs at Heinz?

It would be nice if it was next weekend with the Steelers playing Thursday and then not back at Heinz until the 7th of December. I seem to remember thinking it was Thanksgiving weekend though. Which, if it is, would still be better than last season.

editted to add: Apparently it is this weekend. So, I believe Pitt is also away this week. Finally, a little break with the field usuage issue.

I've voiced my opinion on the subject many times in the past and I'll voice it again. Our turf sucks, period. Pittsburgh's weather and the fact that Pitt and HS play on the same field makes it virtually impossible to have a good playing surface in December/Jan. If the Steelers could take advantage of it, that would be a reason to persist but it's not even the case so tear this "thing" down and put state of the art artificial turf like everybody else up North.

X-Terminator
11-17-2008, 07:24 AM
I've voiced my opinion on the subject many times in the past and I'll voice it again. Our turf sucks, period. Pittsburgh's weather and the fact that Pitt and HS play on the same field makes it virtually impossible to have a good playing surface in December/Jan. If the Steelers could take advantage of it, that would be a reason to persist but it's not even the case so tear this "thing" down and put state of the art artificial turf like everybody else up North.

It's not going to happen as long as the Rooneys own the team. They prefer grass and most of the players do as well, so grass it's going to be at Heinz. We're just going to have to get used to it.

steelpride12
11-17-2008, 07:58 AM
It's not going to happen as long as the Rooneys own the team. They prefer grass and most of the players do as well, so grass it's going to be at Heinz. We're just going to have to get used to it.

:thumbsup: Exactly as long as the owners the players, and the fans want grass, that's what it's gonna be.

SCSTILLER
11-17-2008, 08:11 AM
I understand that the field does get torn up alot, but I don't want to see turf in Heinz Field. For one, you get less injuries. Remember the Parker injury in St. Louis last year, if it would have been grass his foot/leg would have released and not been stuck in place, therefore not breaking his leg.

Besides, football was made to be a "dirty" sport. I just enjoy watching games on natural turf than on artificial turf.

plenewken
11-17-2008, 10:13 AM

Yeah, I know all that and I agree with you that grass (or lack thereof) is going to be at HF. This being said, it seems that the Rooneys were perfectly happy when the Steelers won 4 SBs and competed for a 5th one while playing on a cheap rug at 3 Rivers weren't they?

fansince'76
11-17-2008, 10:15 AM
Yeah, I know all that and I agree with you that grass (or lack thereof) is going to be at HF. This being said, it seems that the Rooneys were perfectly happy when the Steelers won 4 SBs and competed for a 5th one while playing on a cheap rug at 3 Rivers weren't they?

Yup - I remember the old TRS Astroturf. Might as well have played the games in the parking lot. :chuckle:

CanadianSteel
11-17-2008, 10:23 AM
It would be nice for once to see the home team take advantage of this !!! Why does it alawys seem the field affects the Steelers more thna the opposing team..... WR and RB slips when cutting, Ben yesterday planting when throwing.
The slips drive me crazy, specially when the other teams seem to do just fine for the most part.....

plenewken
11-17-2008, 01:56 PM
It would be nice for once to see the home team take advantage of this !!! Why does it alawys seem the field affects the Steelers more thna the opposing team..... WR and RB slips when cutting, Ben yesterday planting when throwing.
The slips drive me crazy, specially when the other teams seem to do just fine for the most part.....

Yep, I agree with you. It seems that the Steelers can't keep their balance on this junk they call grass.
Maybe it is because their practice facility uses artificial turf?
Sorry if I'm sarcastic but this whole field thing is such a friggin' joke ............

TailgateMel
11-17-2008, 02:05 PM
WPIAL playoffs this weekend.. then the last Pitt home game next friday...

After this Thursday, the next home game isn't until 9 days after that last Pitt game... hopefully plenty of time for the grounds crew to fix the field up.

The Rooney's went through a big review of the field last year & didn't change it.. it isn't going to change.. period. All we can hope for is for the timing to work out as well every year as it does this year.

Mel

steelreserve
11-17-2008, 02:48 PM
I thought I remembered this coming up last year after the teenagers ruined the field again, and it was decided that from then on, if they had any more high school games at Heinz, they'd always be on the week of an away game. So hopefully this is more than just a coincidence.

plenewken
11-17-2008, 03:18 PM
I thought I remembered this coming up last year after the teenagers ruined the field again, and it was decided that from then on, if they had any more high school games at Heinz, they'd always be on the week of an away game. So hopefully this is more than just a coincidence.

Poor HS kids, they're gonna play on that ...... hmmm...... grass ...... right after 2 Steelers home games in a row. <sigh>
No wonder Pitt can't sign any of them . :toofunny:

Rek
11-17-2008, 03:19 PM
Turf isn't what Steelers football is all about. I love pounding the ball and guys come up muddy and pieces are ground are lodged in their facemask. As long as Heinz Field uses some common sense, there won't be another slush bowl like there was vs. Miami.

plenewken
11-17-2008, 04:30 PM
Turf isn't what Steelers football is all about. I love pounding the ball and guys come up muddy and pieces are ground are lodged in their facemask. As long as Heinz Field uses some common sense, there won't be another slush bowl like there was vs. Miami.

Wanna bet there will be many more slush bowls at Heinz Field? Unless global warming evolves much faster than it is now <g>, I am afraid we'll see another one pretty soon. Maybe drainage is not the most efficient at Heinz Field but natural grass fields don't handle too well the rough climate of our region.

stillers4me
11-17-2008, 04:55 PM
I loved that shot of a Chargers player with the sod hanging off his facemask and his shoulder. :chuckle:

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-17-2008, 05:36 PM
Besides, football was made to be a "dirty" sport. I just enjoy watching games on natural turf than on artificial turf.

Amen to that !!!!!

I love the games in Dec on grass. No fieldturf at Lambeau, none in the house The Chief built either.

Michael Keller
11-17-2008, 05:45 PM
Our turf should be our advantage. Especially with Jeff Reid field goals. Frankly I am Ok with when the ground crew has time to fix up the field which they do this year. The NFL should schedule the Steelers such that they consideer the WPIAL play offs and Pitt.

X-Terminator
11-17-2008, 09:15 PM

True.

I used to be a big backer of grass at Heinz until last season's disaster, and I believe you and I went back and forth about it. Now I have to agree that they need to get rid of the grass and put down the fake stuff. The technology has come so far that you really can't tell the difference between real and fake grass if you're just looking at it. Grass just isn't going to hold up to the pounding it takes for 5 months and at least 20 games. It's pretty embarrassing to see our franchise consistently voted as having the worst field in the NFL.

Preacher
11-17-2008, 09:22 PM
Wanna bet there will be many more slush bowls at Heinz Field? Unless global warming evolves much faster than it is now <g>, I am afraid we'll see another one pretty soon. Maybe drainage is not the most efficient at Heinz Field but natural grass fields don't handle too well the rough climate of our region.

Nope. What happened in the Miami game will NOT happen again. There were too many coincidences that caused it.

1. The NFL came in and made them lay down a second layer of sod.
2. It then rained tremendously
3. The tarps leaked the rain onto the field
4. The drainage wasn't able to work, because of the second layer of sod.

I wouldn't worry about what we saw last year again.

Steely McSmash
11-17-2008, 09:56 PM
I think they could make the grass work if they really worked at it.

If the grounds crew had some kind of temporary roofing and grow light system they could turn the stadium floor into a greenhouse of sorts.

I don't expect it to happen though.

Preacher
11-17-2008, 10:00 PM

If the grounds crew had some kind of temporary roofing and grow light system they could turn the stadium floor into a greenhouse of sorts.

We're not talking about that kind of grass... :chuckle:

stillers4me
11-17-2008, 10:01 PM
We're not talking about that kind of grass... :chuckle:

:toofunny:

SteelCityMan786
11-17-2008, 10:06 PM

The Big Reason for that was that they had to consistantly adjust the stadium seating set up once September hit since they were sharing the stadium at the time with the Pirates. It was much easier to adjust the stadium playing field with turf then grass.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-18-2008, 12:01 AM

I bet groundskeeper Carl Spackler from Caddyshack could make that work. A little mix of Kentucky Blue Grass and California Sensimilia. "Best thing is you can go play 18 holes.....then get stoned the bejesus outtta ya"

OneForTheToe
11-18-2008, 01:00 AM
I bet groundskeeper Carl Spackler from Caddyshack could make that work. A little mix of Kentucky Blue Grass and California Sensimilia. "Best thing is you can go play 18 holes.....then get stoned the bejesus outtta ya"

LOL, Except you have to look out for the Gophers.

Well, actually, as long as he brought along Lacy Underall, I'd be all for it.:thumbsup:

plenewken
11-18-2008, 07:06 AM
True.
I used to be a big backer of grass at Heinz until last season's disaster, and I believe you and I went back and forth about it. Now I have to agree that they need to get rid of the grass and put down the fake stuff. The technology has come so far that you really can't tell the difference between real and fake grass if you're just looking at it. Grass just isn't going to hold up to the pounding it takes for 5 months and at least 20 games. It's pretty embarrassing to see our franchise consistently voted as having the worst field in the NFL.

Plus the fact that the Steelers practice on artificial turf so they're basically in the same situation as the visiting team on game day. Doesn't make sense to me.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-18-2008, 10:07 PM
LOL, Except you have to look out for the Gophers.

Well, actually, as long as he brought along Lacy Underall, I'd be all for it.:thumbsup:

Right you are.

I bet Carl is still caddy for the Dali Lama though......"Gunga galunga!"

OneForTheToe
11-18-2008, 11:55 PM
That movie had more great lines than just about ant other:

"Don't sell yourself short, Judge. You're a tremendous slouch."

"...mmm, I bet you were something before electricity."

"fifty bucks says the Shmail's kid picks his nose."

""...So we finish the eighteen, and he's gonna stiff me...when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total conscienceness. So I got that goin' for me, which is nice."

:applaudit:

MasterOfPuppets
11-19-2008, 02:49 AM

:uhh: ........:hunch:

randy06
11-19-2008, 09:58 AM
I love the grass and hope they never change it.....when the weather is bad its what steeler football is all about.

steelpride12
11-19-2008, 10:00 AM
Figures Santonio Holmes would want to keep the grass.

randy06
11-19-2008, 10:02 AM
Figures Santonio Holmes would want to keep the grass.

Hahaha right:toofunny:

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-19-2008, 10:03 AM
That movie had more great lines than just about ant other:

"Don't sell yourself short, Judge. You're a tremendous slouch."

"...mmm, I bet you were something before electricity."

"fifty bucks says the Shmail's kid picks his nose."

""...So we finish the eighteen, and he's gonna stiff me...when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total conscienceness. So I got that goin' for me, which is nice."

:applaudit:
A buddy of mine saw Bill Murray on a golf vacation in the Canadian Rockies and he never went up to him, so as not to bother him. My other friend is a huge fan and said he would have said to him "what you gotta watch out for is those manganese chinchbugs". Its the most obsucre Groundskeeper Carl quote I know of.

"straight into the lumberyard"

SteelMember
11-19-2008, 10:51 AM
A buddy of mine saw Bill Murray on a golf vacation in the Canadian Rockies and he never went up to him, so as not to bother him. My other friend is a huge fan and said he would have said to him "what you gotta watch out for is those manganese chinchbugs". Its the most obsucre Groundskeeper Carl quote I know of.

"straight into the lumberyard"
:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:
This is a hybrid. This is a cross, ah, of Bluegrass, Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent, and Northern California Sensemilia. The amazing stuff about this is, that you can play 36 holes on it in the afternoon, take it home and just get stoned to the bejeezus-belt that night on this stuff.

Cannonball!

GeneralRobinson
11-19-2008, 02:26 PM
Plus the fact that the Steelers practice on artificial turf so they're basically in the same situation as the visiting team on game day. Doesn't make sense to me.

Just to clarify, Steelers have an indoor and outdoor practice facility on the South Side. Only the indoor practice surface is Field Turf. The outdoor surface is grass.

Brandon
11-22-2008, 08:27 PM
In my opinion, I think it's time we go with fieldturf. It works well in Seattle, New England, Cincinnati, Baltimore, etc. so it'll obviously work here.

I love dirty football, but with the way this current team is constructed the chewed up field takes away from our team, specifically our running back who can't make his killer cuts.

If this horrible grass continues, the league will probably have no choice but to step in, for the safety of the players.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-22-2008, 08:41 PM
If this horrible grass continues, the league will probably have no choice but to step in, for the safety of the players.

The Safety of the players is never an issue with grass. Please cite some incidents where somebody slipping on a grass field has caused major injury.

Denver, Cleveland, Chicago are all similar climates with natural grass and I doubt the league has felt the need to step in at any of those sites and mandate field turf. St. Louis has field turf and that is where Parker ended his season last year with a broken leg.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
11-22-2008, 09:00 PM

Disagree.... i like the muddy dirty football weather that is played in the Burgh

SteelCityMan786
11-22-2008, 11:04 PM

Green Bay doesn't have turf either

I understand that the field does get torn up alot, but I don't want to see turf in Heinz Field. For one, you get less injuries. Remember the Parker injury in St. Louis last year, if it would have been grass his foot/leg would have released and not been stuck in place, therefore not breaking his leg.

You got that right. Grass is not as much of a torture on injuries either.

Get the jersey's dirty. I don't mind playing in mud at all

Yup - I remember the old TRS Astroturf. Might as well have played the games in the parking lot. :chuckle:

Astroturf sucks. :coffee:

Amen. Use the elements and field conditions to your advantage!!!

If the grass doesn't have the same trouble as last year draining out during a rainstorm, then really it won't be as bad.

True.

As a player, you can tell the difference quickly. Having that infill in your cleats gets VERY irritating.

SteelCityMan786
11-22-2008, 11:05 PM
Here comes the Steelers Annual tradition.
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08327/929934-66.stm
Steelers Notebook: Tuckahoe Farms to resod Heinz Field
Saturday, November 22, 2008
By Bob Dvorchak, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Grass doesn't grow on a busy street, and it doesn't grow in late November either. But a new layer of sod is ready to be applied to Heinz Field after the four WPIAL championship games today.

Crews and truckloads of sod have made their way from Tuckahoe Turf Farms, a family-owned business in Hammonton, N.J. Re-sodding with the Kentucky bluegrass hybrid should begin Sunday and will be completed in plenty of time for its first test -- the West Virginia-Pitt game the day after Thanksgiving. The Steelers won't need it until their Dec. 7 game against the Cowboys.

Tuckahoe Farms replaced the turf last year, but the paint wasn't dry before torrential rains began. By the time a Monday night game commenced after a lightning delay, the new sod was saturated to the point that a Miami punt burrowed into the spongy mess like a wayward nose cone.

It was the worst possible scenario, but the weather is supposed to be better this time around.

Heinz Field gets more wear and tear than any other NFL Stadium. The Pitt Panthers play their home games there, and the WPIAL championship games are an annual event.

"We're so appreciative of the Steelers," said Tim O'Malley, executive director of the WPIAL. "If we couldn't play at Heinz Field, it would have a very negative event on our football championships. We thank them for their consideration in providing the opportunity for us to play."

mesaSteeler
11-23-2008, 03:59 AM
Steelers' digs to get new grass for stretch run
http://forums.steelersfever.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=7

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- The Pittsburgh Steelers will play on a new field during their final two regular-season home games.

A new layer of grass will be laid atop the current playing surface at Heinz Field on Sunday, a few hours after completion of Saturday's four district high school football championship games. The new turf will be in place for the West Virginia-Pittsburgh game on Friday afternoon.

This is the second year in a row that the Steelers have paid to have new sod installed before the end of the season.

Last year, a new layer of grass was put down hours before two inches of rain drenched the field during a 3-0 Steelers win over Miami Dolphins on Nov. 26, a game played in ankle-deep mud. Only the nose of the ball was visible after it was buried in the mush during a Steelers punt that wasn't fielded.

Heinz's hybrid grass surface held up much better this season, with bare patches between the hashmarks becoming visible only when the Steelers played two home games in five days last Sunday and Thursday. Counting the high school games, six games were scheduled at Heinz Field in a seven-day span.

With more than two weeks between home games, the Steelers chose to put down a new field well before their Dec. 7 game against Dallas.

Because Pitt also plays at Heinz Field, the stadium's grass surface gets more wear and tear than most other NFL stadiums. As many as 12 games not involving the Steelers are played there every season.

Steelers chairman Dan Rooney has resisted installing artificial turf because his player strongly favor playing on grass.

Copyright 2008 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Galax Steeler
11-23-2008, 06:40 AM
I hope it ain't like last year when we played the dolphins that was one sloppy game.

T&B fan
11-23-2008, 07:15 AM
I hope it ain't like last year when we played the dolphins that was one sloppy game.

yes it was but it had one of the best shots in the game on the punt the just droped in 4" deep and never moved ... love seeing that in replays :laughing: and we won

Dizzle43
11-23-2008, 11:47 AM
We'll get a good idea of what the new sod is like after the WVU/Pitt game.

TerribleSteelyMcBeam
11-23-2008, 12:05 PM
yeah the wvu pitt game will make or break the field...

except i dont see how it will make it any better, im predicting another game like that dolphins one.

steelpride12
11-23-2008, 12:29 PM
The hybrid grass held up so far very well, when i was at the game Thursday even after the game except for the middle it looked just fine and as long as the players want grass, that's how it's staying.

Brandon
11-23-2008, 01:53 PM
Go to turf for Gods sake.

bigmaq
11-23-2008, 02:45 PM
Concern about the field is much ado about nothing.

I can't recall when we played a game in Heinz and the visiting team got to play on Field Turf.

If anything, this should enhance our "home field advantage".

If you feel otherwise, I suggest that you have just bought into the media story (always create controversy is their leit motif) about the poor conditions of Heinz. Next time you drink that Kool Aid, at least get the flavor since it went down so good.

markymarc
11-25-2008, 12:36 PM
Hey a sloppy field can only help us offensively. While it hurts our pass rushing demons, it also makes it more difficult for the opposing teams pass rushing ability. I still don't think it's right that high school games are played at Heinz Field. Makes no sense to me.

OneForTheToe
11-25-2008, 01:46 PM
Everyone wanting grass is one thing.. but if the feild is getting tore up.. then why let the high schools play? They haven't earned it yet. If they are tearing up the feild and injuring multi-million dollar players so some 16 and 17 yr olds can feel like NFL stars.

Well, if you guys remember back to the push to get financing for a new stadium (after the voters had already rejected it once before), having the field available for high school championships and sharing the field with Pitt were two of the selling points used by the Steelers and their allies to get the funding pushed through. Personally, I'm surprised that the high schools still want to play there considering most of their home fields are probably in better shape.

That said, don't expect the Rooney's to say squat about it. In a few years Heinz will probably need some work and they will be looking for public financing again for part of the bill. That is not meant as a criticism of Dan Rooney at all. At least he lives up to his commitments. If it had been Dan Snyder or Jerry Jones, they probaly would have taken the stadium and then tried to break part of the lease that requires access for the high schools and the local college team.

OneForTheToe
11-28-2008, 11:09 PM
I only got to watch parts of the second half of the Pitt Game. However, from what I saw the new grass looked pretty good. So, I guess as long as we can keep away from the "perfect storm" situation from last year (an actual storm, the high school games, Pitt, and a Steelers' home game all happening over four days), then the surface should be ok.

Pitt has some control over their schedule and maybe the NFL can "unofficially" always have the Steelers away the week before Thanksgiving.

markymarc
11-29-2008, 10:39 PM
I was able to catch highlights of the Pitt/WV game and thought the field look great. Let's just hope it stays that way until the Cowgirls come to town.

D.J.
12-16-2008, 07:34 AM
Wake up Steelers! The Steelers play much better on artificial turf. Period. They are a much faster team and perform in all aspects much better than when slipping/sliding at Heinz.. I don't understand why this seems to be brain surgery for this team. These new hybrid surfaces look and feel just like grass and it is proven fact that there are less season ending injuries on these new turfs. The concept of having slower surface to slow down the competition is ridiculous especially when it slows us down too. The Steelers' performance has been so much better on turf and they should consider doing what the Patriots did a couple of years ago and install the artificial turf right after the Brownies game in time for our first play-off game two weeks later. The Steelers need the speed and the playing surface makes all the difference in the world! Study the Steelers at New England, at Cincinnati and at Baltimore. Time for turf!

plenewken
12-16-2008, 08:36 AM
Wake up Steelers! The Steelers play much better on artificial turf. Period. They are a much faster team and perform in all aspects much better than when slipping/sliding at Heinz.. I don't understand why this seems to be brain surgery for this team. ............. The Steelers' performance has been so much better on turf and they should consider doing what the Patriots did a couple of years ago and install the artificial turf right after the Brownies game in time for our first play-off game two weeks later. The Steelers need the speed and the playing surface makes all the difference in the world! Study the Steelers at New England, at Cincinnati and at Baltimore. Time for turf!

Very good point, unfortunately, I don't think anyone from the Steelers organization will admit it.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-16-2008, 08:37 AM
Wake up Steelers! The Steelers play much better on artificial turf. Period. They are a much faster team and perform in all aspects much better than when slipping/sliding at Heinz.. I don't understand why this seems to be brain surgery for this team. These new hybrid surfaces look and feel just like grass and it is proven fact that there are less season ending injuries on these new turfs. The concept of having slower surface to slow down the competition is ridiculous especially when it slows us down too. The Steelers' performance has been so much better on turf and they should consider doing what the Patriots did a couple of years ago and install the artificial turf right after the Brownies game in time for our first play-off game two weeks later. The Steelers need the speed and the playing surface makes all the difference in the world! Study the Steelers at New England, at Cincinnati and at Baltimore. Time for turf!

Both teams have to play on the same surface, regardless of what it is. The players when asked, have said they prefer natural turf because it is more foregiving, results in fewer injuries and well........its more natural to play on.

I've played on field turf and its great(except for all those little rubber pellets), but still nothing is as good as grass.

plenewken
12-16-2008, 08:44 AM
I've played on field turf and its great(except for all those little rubber pellets), but still nothing is as good as grass.

I agree with you but we're talking about Heinz Field's surface here, which is basically mud with a few blades........ <g>

X-Terminator
12-16-2008, 11:22 AM

I agree with you but we're talking about Heinz Field's surface here, which is basically mud with a few blades........ <g>

It looked pretty good the last game they played after the resodding, and it should be in good shape when they play the Browns in 2 weeks. The next game is 2 weeks later, on January 10 or 11. So we shouldn't see the slop that we saw at the end of last season. I still vote for ripping it up, though.

D.J.
12-16-2008, 11:22 PM
This is a much BIGGER issue than is talked about. I think some the players my be scared of turf and feel that getting their uniforms dirty is more important than speed but this organization needs to recognize what is best for the team to win and NOT give in to irrational thinking. The Steelers will play 100% better if they go to a hybrid surface. It's obvious. The sooner the better. I'm not even going to talk about Pitt, who has been lobbying for turf for a long time.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-16-2008, 11:48 PM
This is a much BIGGER issue than is talked about. I think some the players my be scared of turf and feel that getting their uniforms dirty is more important than speed but this organization needs to recognize what is best for the team to win and NOT give in to irrational thinking. The Steelers will play 100% better if they go to a hybrid surface. It's obvious. The sooner the better. I'm not even going to talk about Pitt, who has been lobbying for turf for a long time.

Link please, to support the claim of these "irrational thinking" ..."players scared of turf".

Otherwise it appears to be a fabricated product of your imagination. :coffee:

plenewken
12-17-2008, 06:51 AM
Link please, to support the claim of these "irrational thinking" ..."players scared of turf"..........

Have you ever heard a former Steelers saying that he misses the natural grass of Heinz Field? I haven't. .

steelersfanman92
12-17-2008, 07:03 AM
I have always heard that a lot of players prefer natural grass over turf. Grass is a lot easier on your joints and I know with my school having a turf field I would much rather play on grass. With that being said there is no doubt that turf is a much faster surface, but the grasss is one of the symbols of Hienz Field and it needs to stay there

D.J.
12-17-2008, 05:25 PM
I just want to win and the Steelers play much better on turf but I as I've been reminded...they would rather play worse on grass so their joints won't hurt. Makes sense to me. :-(

SteelCityMan786
12-17-2008, 07:23 PM

They did wake up. And the realize that what their players want is more important. Just because the fans want Turf, doesn't mean the players do. Remember, they need to satisfy their employees first, then the fans. Plus, when it's raining, Grass is FAR MORE SLICK to play on.(I know this for a fact, my high school football stadium is a grass turf stadium) (You'll see another point later about better play)

Both teams have to play on the same surface, regardless of what it is. The players when asked, have said they prefer natural turf because it is more foregiving, results in fewer injuries and well........its more natural to play on.

Exactly. It doesn't make a difference. I can also back them on that. I played on an ankle injury My sophomore year of Football, and I felt some sort of giddy up type motion after a certain amount of time running on it. When I played on grass, it didn't bug me as much. Plus, the Rubber Fill is VERY IRRITATING.

You have proof they're scared of Turf? If so, show me.

Plus, the Steelers' grass surface(Not the sod, but the stuff they always start the year on is) is a HYBRID Grass Surface. DD Grassmaster is mostly grass with a partial fill of Artificial to it. The more Pitt whines about it, the more I feel they should get out of Heinz Field, and go back to Campus.

Also, for those of you who didn't know, since going to grass, the Steelers record at home is 49-18-1. Seem to be doing pretty well to me.

I just want to win and the Steelers play much better on turf but I as I've been reminded...they would rather play worse on grass so their joints won't hurt. Makes sense to me. :-(

The Steelers want to play on Grass because they know what's good for them.

D.J.
12-18-2008, 12:30 AM
I am one of those guys (and a former football coach) that believes that anything legal that can improve speed is good. Yes, Chicago, Denver and Cleveland all have natural grass BUT none of those stadiums have a multipurpose field like Heinz. Also it is very important to mention that New England, Cincinnati and Baltimore (all with similar weather to Pittsburgh) all tried very hard to keep natural grass like Pittsburgh but recognized the need for speed and a better, safer surface while maintaining a wise budget. What does Pittsburgh know that they dont? Also, there is a monetary issue. Is it wise to replace a field over and over and over just to maintain a slower, slicker surface or can that money be used more efficiently elsewhere? Keep in mind, none of those six cities have two teams playing at the same time like Pittsburgh from August through November plus the weather. Finally, if turf doesn't make a difference, why have so many major colleges gone to turf? While there are far too many to mention, former big natural grass schools like Michigan and Ohio State have gone artificial along with countless others who have made the switch since the newer, safer, grass-like turfs have come out. They see exactly what I am talking about that the Steelers won't except. Don't get me wrong. Natural grass has its place. In a different environment....the grass would be cool. If the Pittsburgh Steelers' field could look like the San Diego Chargers' field from August through the playoffs then more power to grass but it cant happen...and replacing it over and over again and watch it fall apart gradually as the weather dictates is a waste of time and money. Who wants to be the fastest on a slow surface? We should want to be the fastest on the fastest surface. Now that's speed! Those players who say they prefer Heinz's choppy grass would soon change their tune as the home winning record at Heinz becomes even better with turf.......and it would!

CanadianSteel
12-18-2008, 10:47 AM
I am all fro what the players want its just I wish that it could be used an as actual home filed advantage - grass or turf. I am sick of seeing mostly Steelers (mostly Parker) slip all over the place, while for the most part the grass (mud) seems to have less affect on the visiting teams...

:drink:

OneForTheToe
12-18-2008, 11:43 AM
I am one of those guys (and a former football coach) that believes that anything legal that can improve speed is good. Yes, Chicago, Denver and Cleveland all have natural grass BUT none of those stadiums have a multipurpose field like Heinz. Also it is very important to mention that New England, Cincinnati and Baltimore (all with similar weather to Pittsburgh) all tried very hard to keep natural grass like Pittsburgh but recognized the need for speed and a better, safer surface while maintaining a wise budget. What does Pittsburgh know that they dont? Also, there is a monetary issue. Is it wise to replace a field over and over and over just to maintain a slower, slicker surface or can that money be used more efficiently elsewhere? Keep in mind, none of those six cities have two teams playing at the same time like Pittsburgh from August through November plus the weather. Finally, if turf doesn't make a difference, why have so many major colleges gone to turf? While there are far too many to mention, former big natural grass schools like Michigan and Ohio State have gone artificial along with countless others who have made the switch since the newer, safer, grass-like turfs have come out. They see exactly what I am talking about that the Steelers won't except. Don't get me wrong. Natural grass has its place. In a different environment....the grass would be cool. If the Pittsburgh Steelers' field could look like the San Diego Chargers' field from August through the playoffs then more power to grass but it cant happen...and replacing it over and over again and watch it fall apart gradually as the weather dictates is a waste of time and money. Who wants to be the fastest on a slow surface? We should want to be the fastest on the fastest surface. Now that's speed! Those players who say they prefer Heinz's choppy grass would soon change their tune as the home winning record at Heinz becomes even better with turf.......and it would!

Funny you mention San Diego, New England, Cincinnati and Baltimore. What do all those teams have in common? We are 6-0 against those teams this season (3-0 at home). so, what's the problem?

D.J.
12-19-2008, 05:59 AM
We have two losses at home that can be partially attributed to the field. We were considerably slower in those losses. Look at how fast we were in those three games at New England, Cincinnati and Baltimore. We were a totally different team. That's the problem.

D.J.
12-21-2008, 03:59 PM
Ah, how did the Steelers look today? Think some of us are on something with this grass/turf theory?

SteelCityMan786
12-21-2008, 04:05 PM
Ah, how did the Steelers look today? Think some of us are on something with this grass/turf theory?

You can complain about the field surface ALL YOU WANT, but if they don't execute, then what good does a different surface do.

D.J.
12-22-2008, 12:01 AM
Hi Steel City man! I see you all over the place. Like I said before, I agree with you 100% about execution and I am not totally blaming the surface BUT if you watch the Steelers on turf and then on grass you cannot help but see they execute MUCH BETTER on turf. Period. Obviously in the NFL you must learn to play on both natural and artificial surfaces but the Steelers should recognize the one they play or shall I say execute better on and that is turf. Watch the film it you don't believe me. The team is as different as night and day as the move from natural to turf. Trust me, its no coincidence.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-22-2008, 12:22 AM

I think the theory of a second shooter on the grassy knoll is more plausable. Then again if it was a "field turf" knoll .......things would be completely different. :chuckle:

SteelCityMan786
12-22-2008, 10:43 AM
Hi Steel City man! I see you all over the place. Like I said before, I agree with you 100% about execution and I am not totally blaming the surface BUT if you watch the Steelers on turf and then on grass you cannot help but see they execute MUCH BETTER on turf. Period. Obviously in the NFL you must learn to play on both natural and artificial surfaces but the Steelers should recognize the one they play or shall I say execute better on and that is turf. Watch the film it you don't believe me. The team is as different as night and day as the move from natural to turf. Trust me, its no coincidence.

In some cases you are right. Considering the fact that all losses this year have been on grass fields.(Not to mention I believe Philadelphia plays on the same grass surface they start the year with. Which is DD Grassmaster)

Only thing is, it will take an adjustment period. When my high school installed turf back in 2004, we didn't get our first winning season at home until my Sophomore Football Season. I've now become a Senior since that time.

One type I'd like them to look at should they wish to go to turf, is the stuff IC Improvements puts in. Here's what my school's turf looks like.

http://www.icimprovements.com/hollidaysburg1.html

I've also liked the surface at WVU should the Steelers ever go Field Turf.

D.J.
12-23-2008, 06:14 PM
Hey Steel City Man. Merry Christmas to you! We're almost on the same page. Some teams are better on grass-some on turf. The Steelers have ALWAYS been a turf team whether they believe it or not. I have studied many games over the years from Three Rivers to Heinz and the Steelers are much faster on artificial turf and they certainly execute much better. It is a strange thing how this happens to some teams but recognizing this issue is crucial for the "total" success of any team. It is really a management issue that obviously starts at the top. I checked out the IC Improvements and that is some very nice stuff although I lean toward Baltimore's Sprinturf surface or like you said West Virginia's Field Turf, incidentally the surface that the Steelers seriously considered last year and the surface that Pitt really wanted. I just can't fathom why any professional team would rather slip, slide and run slower on sandy sod. It is really not an advantage to anyone. Watch the film. The Steelers loose their footing as much or more than the visiting team. What kind of advantage is that? They certainly could use the speed. Also, I think the Steelers transition time would not be an issue as they have artificial turf at their indoor practice facility and we have already seen how they play on it.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-29-2008, 12:46 AM
Heinz Field has a grass surface, which generally is more forgiving than artificial turf when a player's head strikes the ground.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3796148

plenewken
12-29-2008, 07:44 AM
Heinz Field has a grass surface, which generally is more forgiving than artificial turf when a player's head strikes the ground.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3796148

Yeah, that's the ticket! Natural grass reduces the risk of concussion. And the risk is lower if there's more mud than grass. LOL

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-06-2009, 09:11 AM
"I'm glad we weren't on FieldTurf," Roethlisberger said yesterday, speaking publicly for the first time since his injury. "That grass -- you know, the soft Heinz Field -- might've helped a little bit.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09006/939821-66.stm

tony hipchest
01-06-2009, 09:41 AM
grass surface is softer than the hood of a crown victoria ltd.

i heard a funny story how every gameday dan rooney does a walk through and always comments how great the grass and field look. :hunch:

case closed. i think it stays.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-06-2009, 09:46 AM
grass surface is softer than the hood of a crown victoria ltd.

i heard a funny story how every gameday dan rooney does a walk through and always comments how great the grass and field look. :hunch:

case closed. i think it stays.
I wouldnt rule it out yet Tony.....a team of scientific experts (who drank too much Milly Lite) has concluded that the Steelers execute better on Field Turf.

For the majority of fans, that execution means Colon false starts more often, Parker sucks worse and Ben holds onto the ball even longer. :chuckle:

D.J.
01-06-2009, 04:25 PM
Listen, this is nothing but plain FEAR! Field Turf as well as several of the new surfaces have proven to be as safe or safer than real grass! Period. Do we need to start documenting every time a player gets hurt on real grass? There is absolutely no proof or evidence that Field Turf or any other of the new generation artificial turf surfaces would have been more dangerous for Roethlisberger's injury. Injuries happen in football regardless of the surface and many, many athletes all across the country prefer the new turfs because they maintain grass-like feel while keeping their consistency which can also be a major factor for injuries as well as slowing the runners down. While it certainly is his prerogative to make that statement....it doesn't mean he was right.

tony hipchest
01-06-2009, 04:41 PM
Thou shalt not question Dr. Roethlisberger.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-06-2009, 04:53 PM
There is absolutely no proof or evidence that Field Turf or any other of the new generation artificial turf surfaces would have been more dangerous for Roethlisberger's injury.

While it certainly is his prerogative to make that statement....it doesn't mean he was right.

Just as there is absolutely no evidence that the Steelers "play better on artificial turf" or the "players may be scared of turf".

While it is certainly in your perogative to make the statment, "The Steelers will play 100% better when they go to a hybrid surface"..........it doesn't mean you were right either.

Thank you for discounting the opinion of a professional QB with 72 NFL games under his belt, that played 3 seasons at Miami (OH) on a home field that consists of, you guessed it..............Field Turf. I guess he is just scared of the speed of the stuff after playing on it for 3 seasons in college. :rolleyes:

D.J.
01-07-2009, 08:07 AM
What is the Steelers record on artificial turf this year? All of their losses were on what kind of surface? I am a film person. Go back an watch execution on the turf games and tell me that is not a totally different team. I said the QB is certainly entitled to his opinion but that's all it is. Obviously, the Steelers agree with it. Never the less, its all still based on fear.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-07-2009, 09:16 AM
Thanks, but I am a film guy too and have seen poor execution on artificial surfaces as well as natural.

The games the Steelers lost can easily be attributed to things other than turf. Giants-Harrison Snaps ball over head. Colts- cant score at goalline. Titans-turnovers. Eagles-giving up 9 sacks.

To what do you attribute 3 of the Steelers 6 losses last season on artificial turf? Patriots, Jets, Baltimore all had it. I think if you look at the film and see that all 4 teams we lost to run a 4-3 and our weak guard play might have more to do with the outcomes than whether we play on grass, turf, dirt or asphalt.

We can twist statistics all over the place to support turf or not, but as a guy that said he coaches, you must know that its more about what you do on the turf that matters instead of what the turf is. Sounds to me like you are a sales rep for Field Turf.

stillers4me
01-07-2009, 09:52 AM
Thank you for discounting the opinion of a professional QB with 72 NFL games under his belt, that played 3 seasons at Miami (OH) on a home field that consists of, you guessed it..............Field Turf. I guess he is just scared of the speed of the stuff after playing on it for 3 seasons in college.

Not to mention he's been slammed down countless times on all surfaces, so I'm sure he has his preference. :chuckle:

SteelCityMan786
01-07-2009, 07:13 PM
Hey Steel City Man. Merry Christmas to you! We're almost on the same page. Some teams are better on grass-some on turf. The Steelers have ALWAYS been a turf team whether they believe it or not. I have studied many games over the years from Three Rivers to Heinz and the Steelers are much faster on artificial turf and they certainly execute much better. It is a strange thing how this happens to some teams but recognizing this issue is crucial for the "total" success of any team. It is really a management issue that obviously starts at the top. I checked out the IC Improvements and that is some very nice stuff although I lean toward Baltimore's Sprinturf surface or like you said West Virginia's Field Turf, incidentally the surface that the Steelers seriously considered last year and the surface that Pitt really wanted. I just can't fathom why any professional team would rather slip, slide and run slower on sandy sod. It is really not an advantage to anyone. Watch the film. The Steelers loose their footing as much or more than the visiting team. What kind of advantage is that? They certainly could use the speed. Also, I think the Steelers transition time would not be an issue as they have artificial turf at their indoor practice facility and we have already seen how they play on it.

Sorry for the late response on this since I didn't see it until now.

You can NOT just blame the turf for the reason WHY the Steelers lost their 4 games this year. In the end there were other factors in the loss. Philly-The O-Line didn't give Ben Time, Giants-Harrison had a bad snap, Colts-Couldn't prevent a last second TD, Titans-Same as Philly.

The advantage of grass is SLOWING OTHER TEAMS DOWN. You know why some of them unfortunately do not? They either play on grass themselves, OR practice on it.

This year when my high school team was in the State playoffs, we went up to a stadium that had field turf. Their was a snow storm in the area, and ice patches began to form on the field(Felt pretty thick to. Those do NOT help footing at all.

Those were just examples of the work I stated in terms of potential products

Listen, this is nothing but plain FEAR! Field Turf as well as several of the new surfaces have proven to be as safe or safer than real grass! Period. Do we need to start documenting every time a player gets hurt on real grass? There is absolutely no proof or evidence that Field Turf or any other of the new generation artificial turf surfaces would have been more dangerous for Roethlisberger's injury. Injuries happen in football regardless of the surface and many, many athletes all across the country prefer the new turfs because they maintain grass-like feel while keeping their consistency which can also be a major factor for injuries as well as slowing the runners down. While it certainly is his prerogative to make that statement....it doesn't mean he was right.

It's not about fear ONE BIT. Do I need to remind everyone what surface Willie Parker injured himself on in 2007 that ended his season? Grass is a softer surface, and it's easier to recover from a hit on GRASS.

Also, have you even played in a Football game on any of these new field turf surfaces???? I have, and I tell ya, the crush fibers are very IRRITATING.

D.J.
01-08-2009, 12:42 AM
That's funny. I don't work for Field Turf but knowing it was a great and innovative product I tried to buy stock in their company a few years ago but they wouldn't let me in. There are several different artificial surfaces being used in the NFL and Field Turf is only one of them. Actually, I think Baltimore's Sprint Turf is more what I would like to see Pittsburgh have. Anyway, I never said that it was totally the field that caused the Steelers to win or loose. I meant that it played a factor. Those factors added in to everything else can make or break a game/season. The problem with the theory that the field at Heinz slows down our visitors is that it also slows the Steelers down also. I think that speed should be our number one concern. Adding in the factors of weather and multi-purpose use you would think this would be a no brainer. These new surfaces have proven to be as safe or safer than real grass. Maybe Ben would have been hurt worse or maybe he would have walked off the field on turf......we don't know. I also understand that some people don't believe the studies, etc. Obviously money talks. If Big Ben and Hines Ward don't want turf....the Steelers are listening. Whatever. I still say and many agree.....the Steelers play better and faster or turf. I won't even bring in how much better it would look or how Pitt has been trying to get it put in for some time.

steelreserve
01-08-2009, 02:46 AM
Not to mention he's been slammed down countless times on all surfaces, so I'm sure he has his preference. :chuckle:

Hey, Lambert used to tackle people in the gravel in no-pads drills and get up bleeding and not care. So if we have any kind of toughness, the difference between grass and field turf really shouldn't matter, now should it?

D.J.
01-08-2009, 08:55 AM
There are so many teams (Pro, College, etc) using the new turfs now that they speak for me. Your not going to tell me they all want a surface that is less safer than grass.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-08-2009, 10:00 AM
The biggest advantage of synthetic turf is the maintenance costs and it doesnt go dormant in cold weather like grass. It doesn't need watering or cutting. It just needs some periodic rolling by a proprietary machine that the turf manufacturers sell (its like a zamboni for turf). My buddy was trying to get it for the infields of their baseball complex so that there would be no odd bounces and it would reduce groundskeeping costs in the long run.

D.J. , you say you are a coach and a guy that likes film study. I assume that by being on this board that you are a football fan and a Steelers fan, but I find it odd that all of your 25 posts are about artificial turf or stadiums:noidea: That is why I said you sound like a salesrep for Fieldturf.....because you have no input on the Steelers other than they should switch to turf.

Sorry if I did in fact assume incorrectly, but it just struck me as odd. Even the guy hocking shirts in the classified section posts stuff about games and the team.

D.J.
01-08-2009, 05:39 PM
Yea, I know this conversation has certainly been one-sided but the discussion was the playing surface so I kept it there. I am not coaching at the moment although I have 8 seasons under my belt from 94 -02. I am a huge Steeler fan as well as a season ticket holder. I remember the turf arguments all through the yeas at Three Rivers especially after Rod Woodson hurt his knee trying to break down against Barry Saunders but after the new safer turfs came out and hundreds of teams switched to it I was sure Pittsburgh would be one of the first to support it. This has been an interesting topic. I must admit, after reading all my posts I am sure I would make a great sales rep for one of the turf companies. But I have a job. Whatever happens down the road with their playing surface, I wish the Steelers great success.

JackHammer
01-08-2009, 05:44 PM
Here's a story from back in November when the field was re-sodded: http://steeltradition.com/2008/11/pittsburghs-heinz-field-set-to-have-its-now-annual-resodding.html

When Rooney has asked his players what they prefer, a nearly unanimous choice is to continue playing on natural grass. Imagine that, an owner that does what his players wants. It's interesting that after injury issues and close games that the players want to remain on such a bush league field after last season.

I think that about sums it up.

D.J.
01-08-2009, 07:49 PM
That sums it up for January 2009 but the Steelers were very fortunate that the weather, schedule and Pitt's schedule didn't clash. But the luck in that department won't last. Eventually weather and usage will catch up to the so-called grass field at Heinz and the NFL not the Steelers will eventually facilitate a change to make the playing field professional.