PDA

View Full Version : Posloszny wins Bednarik

BB2W
12-08-2005, 10:39 PM
ORLANDO, Fla. -- Penn State linebacker Paul Posluszny won the Chuck Bednarik Trophy on Thursday night, given to the best defensive player in the country.

The other finalists were Ohio State linebacker A.J. Hawk and Maryland linebackers D'Qwell Jackson.

Posluszny led a resurgence at Penn State. The Nittany Lions (10-1) won the Big Ten and will play in the Orange Bowl after winning just seven games the previous two seasons.

Posluszny ranks fourth in the Big Ten with 111 tackles and an average of 10.1 tackles per game. He has 11 tackles for a loss and three sacks.

He is just the fourth player in school history to record more than 100 tackles in consecutive seasons.

Georgia defensive end David Pollack won the award last season.

link-----> http://www.latimes.com/sports/college/football/wire/sns-ap-fbc-bednarik-trophy,1,753498.story?coll=sns-ap-collegefb-headlines

SteelCityMan786
12-08-2005, 11:27 PM
Congrats Paul!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-08-2005, 11:53 PM
Linebacker U strikes again !!! Woo Hoo !!

SteelCityMan786
12-08-2005, 11:57 PM
The Linebacker U Attack is HERE TO STAY AT PENN STATE!!!!!

BB2W
12-11-2005, 02:01 AM
Poz wins Butkus!!!

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Penn State's Paul Posluszny, who helped the No. 3 Nittany Lions earn a share of the Big Ten championship, won the Butkus Award as the nation's best linebacker on Saturday night.

The award, given by the Orlando Downtown Athletic Club, is Posluszny's second national honor. He won the Bednarik Award as the nation's best defensive player on Thursday.

"They're both huge honors, but I'd have to say, as a linebacker, that this one means a lot more to me," Posluszny said. "Playing linebacker, to win the Butkus Award means you're the top person at your position and that's the biggest thing you can do."

Posluszny beat out Ohio State's A.J. Hawk and Alabama's DeMeco Ryans in becoming the second Penn State linebacker to win the Butkus Award in its 21-year history. LaVar Arrington won in 1999.

This season, Posluszny has 111 tackles, including 11 for loss, and three sacks.

link-----> http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2255300

Koopa
12-11-2005, 02:04 AM
damn i have no idea who this dude is but he seems good, is this dude a seinor??? and will he get drafted high?

BB2W
12-11-2005, 02:14 AM
damn i have no idea who this dude is but he seems good, is this dude a seinor??? and will he get drafted high?
He's a junior, and if he enters the draft he will be taken in the first round. He is a great linebacker!!! His game is very similar to A.J. Hawk's... he is very fast, and give it 110% every snap. He is one of the best linebackers to ever play at Penn State...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v332/lion4life/Penn%20State/292523.jpg

Prosdo
12-11-2005, 02:15 AM
Awesome job! Congrats to him!

Koopa
12-11-2005, 02:17 AM
He's a junior, and if he enters the draft he will be taken in the first round. He is a great linebacker!!! His game is very similar to A.J. Hawk's... he is very fast, and give it 110% every snap. He is one of the best linebackers to ever play at Penn State...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v332/lion4life/Penn%20State/292523.jpg

cool, shit if he'd fall all the way to the steelers i'd take him over lendale white (even though i really hope we go offense the first few rounds), hell i'd take micheal huff over lendale white, cause we also need an impact defender besides troy

BB2W
12-11-2005, 02:19 AM
Here are some quotes on Poz from former Penn State, and Steeler great Jack Ham...

"I truly believe," Jack Ham was saying the other day, "he's the best linebacker ever to play at Penn State."

"It's such a different game now than when we played," Ham said. "Today, you have to be half-strong safety, half-linebacker to play. We weren't asked to cover the way these guys are. They didn't stretch the field on us. There were no three- and four-wide receiver sets. A lot of linebackers have to go to the bench in passing situations now. Not Posluszny. He does it all."

"I can't think of a linebacker here who played the run as well as he does," Ham said. "Shane Conlan, maybe ...

"Watch him. He never gets knocked off his feet. He plays off blocks so well. He never misses tackles."

"I've always thought [Dennis] Onkotz was the best linebacker in pass coverage here," Ham said. "This kid might be better. He understands the passing game so well."

"I don't know how fast [Posluszny] is in the 40, but I'll bet you'd be amazed if you timed him for 10 yards," Ham said. "He has that burst to the football."

"He shouldn't leave early," Ham said. "He should take a page out of A.J. Hawk's book and stay for another year."

"There's too much of an upside for [Posluszny] to stay," Ham said. "He would get so much stronger, number one. He would become that much better. He would only enhance his draft status. I don't know where he'd be picked if he came out now, but he'll be a top-10 pick the next year."

"The best ever here," Ham said, knowingly.

"No doubt about it."

BB2W
12-11-2005, 02:41 AM
Hey Koop... he is in this "Linebacker U" video. He is #31. :cool:

link-----> http://media.putfile.com/Linebacker-U

BB2W
12-17-2005, 02:56 PM
Posluszny has filed paperwork with the NFL advisory board, a group of player personnel professionals who give college underclassmen an unbiased, non-binding evaluation of where they might go in the draft. The deadline for that is Jan. 4. The board tries to provide quick feedback because the deadline for underclassmen to declare for the NFL draft is Jan. 15. A player has 72 hours to change his mind after that.

link-----> http://pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/sports/college/pennstate/s_404911.html

clevestinks
12-17-2005, 04:37 PM
Would you see us needed ao wanting him?

BB2W
12-17-2005, 04:53 PM
Would you see us needed ao wanting him?
I would love to see Poz in Black & Gold. He will play on the inside in the NFL, and I don't know how we could get him on the field with Farrior and Foote. You could groom him to take over for James at the Buck position, but I think he is ready to play and will probabaly be gone by the time we pick. There are also probabaly too many needs to go ILB in the first round... Man, I would love to see him in a Steelers uniform.

hardwork
12-18-2005, 10:15 PM
Best LB ever at Penn State? That's saying something. Seems to me you could use him at safety also if you had to.

BB2W
12-18-2005, 10:41 PM
Best LB ever at Penn State? That's saying something.
He really might be HW... Ham said it himself. I've watched him for the last three years and he is an amazing linebacker. He's been the best player on the team for the last three years, but with the recent success he's just now getting some national attention. Not to mention, his whole career has been during a time when Hawk was regarded as the best linebacker in the Big Ten. Poz has kinda slid under the radar to people that don't watch every PSU game.

clevestinks
12-19-2005, 04:25 PM
I would love to see Poz in Black & Gold. He will play on the inside in the NFL, and I don't know how we could get him on the field with Farrior and Foote. You could groom him to take over for James at the Buck position, but I think he is ready to play and will probabaly be gone by the time we pick. There are also probabaly too many needs to go ILB in the first round... Man, I would love to see him in a Steelers uniform.
Yeah but the first round should be loaded with LB`s, shouldn`t it?

BB2W
12-19-2005, 05:10 PM
Yeah but the first round should be loaded with LB`s, shouldn`t it?
There are a lot of great linebackers in this years draft...

clevestinks
12-19-2005, 05:24 PM
BB2W who would you want the most Posloszny, Carpenter, or Hawke. I keep hearing that Carpenter might be the best pick for a NFL LB

BB2W
12-19-2005, 05:55 PM
BB2W who would you want the most Posloszny, Carpenter, or Hawke. I keep hearing that Carpenter might be the best pick for a NFL LB
I may be a homer, but no doubt in my mind I would go with Poz. He's shown me nothing in the last three years that makes me think he is anything short of the best linebacker I have ever seen play the game. Honestly... he's amazing, I hope he ends up in the right system to allow him to succeed. If you couldn't get Hawk or Poz... Chad Greenway, and Abdul Hodge are very special players. This draft is very deep at linebacker...

clevestinks
12-19-2005, 06:00 PM
BB2W Thats why I asked you, I am also a homer. If we listened to me, we would have a whole team of PSU alum on the Steelers! Besides nobody brings as much good info especially about the college players, as you do. Please keep up the great homework!

BB2W
12-19-2005, 06:04 PM
BB2W Thats why I asked you, I am also a homer. If we listened to me, we would have a whole team of PSU alum on the Steelers! Besides nobody brings as much good info especially about the college players, as you do. Please keep up the great homework!
Thanks Cleve, I would also put DeMeco Ryans from Alabama in the nation's elite linebackers... I forgot about him. It will be interesting to see how things play out in the draft. There will be many "hot" and "cold" players from now until then.

hardwork
12-19-2005, 07:43 PM
BB2W, I gota see this guy. I'll make sure I catch Penn State in their bowl game.

BB2W
12-19-2005, 07:59 PM
BB2W, I gota see this guy. I'll make sure I catch Penn State in their bowl game.
Please do!!!... I expect a big performance out of him and Tamba Hali.

You can see a couple clips of Poz in this "Linebacker U" video, he's #31...

http://media.putfile.com/Linebacker-U

and this "Hits" video...

http://www.personal.psu.edu/ejl167/Hits/hits2005.wmv

clevestinks
12-19-2005, 08:17 PM
You haven`t seen POZ play. He may be over shadow in the BIG TEN by Hawke and Carpenter. But he is one awesome LB

hardwork
12-19-2005, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the videos BB2W.

I have seen POZ play cleve because I've watched a few Penn State games over the last couple of years. However, I was too dumb to know what I was looking at apparently. You know us Patriot's fans, a little slow on the uptake.

clevestinks
12-20-2005, 07:47 AM
This was his biggest year by far. This kid can get the job done. I think he could fit into any teams defensive system!