PDA

View Full Version : Joey who?

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-17-2008, 09:32 AM
Joey who?
By Chris Harlan
Times Sports Staff
Published: Monday, November 17, 2008 12:13 AM EST

PITTSBURGH — Don’t feel badly for the tight end asked to block James Harrison, “they had a running back there, too,” the Steelers linebacker said after another MVP-caliber performance.

Few noticed either.

What everyone saw was Harrison forcing another fumble — this one leading to a safety — during a second-quarter sequence that helped carry the Steelers to an 11-10 victory over San Diego.

And everyone asked: a tight end?

“I don’t know how they do their scouting report,” fellow linebacker James Farrior said, “but I haven’t seen a whole lot of linemen in this league that can block him. Putting him on a tight end is definitely an odd match. He took advantage of it today.”

From his spot at right outside linebacker, Harrison had four tackles, sacked the quarterback and grabbed his first interception this season during what might have been this defense’s best performance.

Harrison helped limit All-Pro runner LaDainian Tomlinson to 57 yards. His interception, well within field goal range, stole at least three points away from the Chargers.

And his fumble-forcing sack of Philip Rivers gives Harrison four forced fumbles and 12 sacks, just 1.5 behind former teammate Joey Porter who has 13.5 this season with Miami. Harrison said there’s no rivalry yet between the two. His teammates, though, are already having fun following the race.

“Are they tied now? No, wait, what did Joey have today?” asked Farrior, who said he still talks with Porter frequently. “One-and-a-half? Twelve. Thirteen. … I’m keeping track.”

Also in the race is LaMarr Woodley, the Steelers’ starter on the left side of the defense, who is third in the AFC with 9.5 sacks.

“When the top three sack leaders are all Steelers — or an ex-Steeler — that’s pretty awesome,” said safety Troy Polamalu.

Harrison said he hasn’t talked with Porter lately but admitted “I hear people tell me certain things he says.”

Where the two still differ is self-promotion. Harrison was asked Sunday whether he’s playing as well as any defender in the league. “I feel like I am,” Harrison said.

Porter rarely had five-word answers during his stay in Pittsburgh. Farrior, though, was willing to promote Harrison, saying his 30-year-old teammate is as good as Porter ever was.

“No doubt about it,” Farrior said. “He’s a terror out there. He makes plays that are similar to what Joey did. … He’s playing at a high level right now.”

At his current pace, Harrison is likely to reach a second straight Pro Bowl. He also could earn enough votes for another team MVP honor and should earn consideration for the league’s Defensive Player of the Year.

The best argument for Harrison might be that that Porter can be elsewhere leading the league in sacks and he’s barely missed in Pittsburgh.

“Joey’s doing his thing,” Farrior said, “but we like what we’ve got right here in Pittsburgh.”

http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2008/11/17/sports/steelers/doc4920fd21b9ef0085345528.txt

RoethlisBURGHer
11-17-2008, 09:39 AM
The only thing I miss about Porter was his trash talking to the other team. It got udner their skin and was always entertaining for the fans.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-17-2008, 09:44 AM
The only thing I miss about Porter was his trash talking to the other team. It got udner their skin and was always entertaining for the fans.

No doubt about that...he can still get inside an opponants head....ask Brandon Marshall.

PisnNapalm
11-17-2008, 09:47 AM
Imagine if you will.... the tandem of Porter (from 5 years ago) and today's Harrison. That would be freaking awesome.

steelpride12
11-17-2008, 10:03 AM
Porter atill has more sacks than Harrison, but everyone still agrees that he is the defensive player of the year.

DACEB
11-17-2008, 10:05 AM
Must say, Silverback has made it real easy to forget Joey. Add a healthy Woodley and it's almost criminal.

On a side note;

No doubt about that...he can still get inside an opponants head....ask Brandon Marshall.

Is Marshall insane for calling out Porter, or what?

LambertLunatic
11-17-2008, 10:16 AM
Imagine if you will.... the tandem of Porter (from 5 years ago) and today's Harrison. That would be freaking awesome.

Would it be that much better than Harrison and Woodley?

CanadianSteel
11-17-2008, 10:19 AM
Loved Joey when he was here, still keep his jersey as he was one of my favs.
That being said James Friggin Harrison is a beast.... and appears to be twice the player Porter was "at times". Porter would sometimes get taken away when faced against Tacles "ie Jonathon Odgen" but Harrison dominates versus Tackles, TE, Double teams he is a friggin beast and makes plays all over the field.

ajs8207
11-17-2008, 10:29 AM
Would it be that much better than Harrison and Woodley?

I don't think so. Woodley made a couple tremendous plays in pass coverage yesterday as well.

vasteeler
11-17-2008, 10:33 AM

I dont mis his mouth at all a lot of times it was quite embarassing

fansince'76
11-17-2008, 10:35 AM
I dont mis his mouth at all a lot of times it was quite embarassing

Me neither - I never liked his jawjacking.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-17-2008, 05:54 PM
I love Peezy and his sense of humour and trash talkin.

Now the real question is who will succeed Harrison in 2010 when his contract is up?? Steelers doubtfully gonna pay 32 year old Harrison what the market will demand. Bruce Davis?????

WWIIOwheelz
11-17-2008, 06:25 PM
I am going to openly weep when Harrison's contract is up. He's a really special player to watch.