PDA

View Full Version : Botched Steelers' call spurs debate

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-18-2008, 04:32 AM
Botched Steelers' call spurs debate
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The head of NFL officials is pushing for more flexibility in reviews of disputed plays to prevent the kind of calls that cost Troy Polamalu a touchdown at the end of the Steelers' 11-10 win over the San Diego Chargers.

Mike Pereira, the NFL's vice president of officials, said Monday he plans to talk to members of the league's eight-person competition committee individually about changing how the review rule is administered.

As it stands, once the referee watches video of a disputed call and confers with the replay assistant about it, he cannot contact the assistant once he returns to the playing field.

That is true even if there is still confusion, as was the case Sunday when officials in the Chargers-Steelers game were unsure of which lateral hit the ground on the final play and ended up making the wrong call.

The competition committee meets at the NFL scouting combine in February and proposes rules changes that owners vote on in March at their annual meeting.

Pereira said he is not proposing a rule change, which means the league could address the issue before the end of the season.

"Is this something you can talk about and implement for the playoffs, or is it something you want to discuss with the membership first before you do it?" Pereira said. "Discuss it with the owners. It remains to be seen what they may think."

Reviews already add to the length of games, which routinely run past three hours. As such, there might be some resistance to anything that could add more time to the review process.

Pereira, however, said the changes he hopes to make are minor.

He said he wants the replay assistant to be able to contact the referee if a mistake has been made on the field following a review. Pereira said the referee should also be allowed to talk to the replay assistant if something is still unclear following a review, which happened Sunday at Heinz Field.

Officials got the touchdown call right on the field and an official review confirmed it, but referee Scott Green ultimately made the wrong call because of a mix-up.

"He got confused and certainly handled it wrong," Pereira said.

Pereira said nothing in place allowed Green to double check with the replay assistant about the call or for the replay assistant to alert Green that the wrong call had been made.

"It's something the competition committee needs to think about it," Pereira said. "It just seems logical."

While the final play in Sunday caused an uproar in the betting community, the Steelers weren't exactly thrilled with the way officials called the game prior to it.

The Steelers were penalized 13 times for 115 yards. San Diego, by comparison, had just two penalties for 5 yards, and one of them came on the final play when the Chargers were flagged for an illegal forward pass.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin held his tongue about the officiating after the game, but the team sent a report to Pereira about calls it deemed to be questionable.

When asked about the disparity in penalties Sunday, Steelers nose tackle Casey Hampton said: "I ain't even going to go there. I'm going to let Tomlin take all them fines. I ain't got nothing to say about that."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_598952.html

Galax Steeler
11-18-2008, 04:48 AM
I thought the officiating really sucked in the game the interferance call that set up the chargers touchdown was really a bad call and the Troy touchdown at the end of the game should have stood.

steelwall
11-18-2008, 05:02 AM
Resistance because it could add lenght to the game?? Thats crazy, infact the way they do it now seems suspect.

Why is it that an educated fan at home watching the game on TV can see a few different angles of a questionable play and make a correct call in a matter of seconds, but it takes a crew of officials who have access to the same video forever to make a call? (and all too many times the wrong call)

The system itself needs to be changed. They are taking something that should be fairly clear 95% of the time with the angles we can see, and making it into rocket science.

fansince'76
11-18-2008, 07:33 AM
Resistance because it could add lenght to the game?? Thats crazy....

Agreed, not to mention being a complete copout. If they're so damned concerned about the length of games, maybe they should think about ending the practice of running 5 minutes (at least) of commercials immediately preceding a punt/kickoff followed by running another 5 minutes (at least) of commercials immediately after the change of possession. What a BS excuse.

stlrtruck
11-18-2008, 08:57 AM
One question:
How many rules have been changed over the years because of the Steelers?

T&B fan
11-18-2008, 09:06 AM
One question:
How many rules have been changed over the years because of the Steelers?

the coin toss ...

Hammer Of The GODS
11-18-2008, 09:10 AM
I just can't understand why the league can't get this fixed! It's almost as if they want these mistakes in the game. :mad:

Every other week the league sends the Steelers an appology for blown calls! WTF! :banging:

This is an elite game being officiated by subpar officials! :doh:

May as well get used to it. This is a league that lets 6 plus years of cheating go by with just a slap on the wrist! They will keep making appologies to teams that get the shaft on gameday and continue to look the other way when the patriots o-line is holding on every play.

We need a blind zebra smiley! :chuckle:

SCSTILLER
11-18-2008, 09:19 AM
the coin toss ...

Forgot about that one! I was screaming at that idiotic Icabod Crane looking referee that Thanksgiving. He ruined my thanksgiving that day!

steel striker
11-18-2008, 09:29 AM
It seems we end up with the short end of the stick when comes to getting fair calls. Now I know I saw about four holding calls that should have been called on the chargers. We still were able to win but, it is total BS.

stlrtruck
11-18-2008, 11:08 AM
the coin toss ...

don't forget the Donnie Shell rule - something about contact downfield. I'm sure there are a few others related to the Steel Curtain.

TackleMeBen
11-18-2008, 11:12 AM
We need a blind zebra smiley! :chuckle:

its not a smiley,but i am sure this will fit :thumbsup:
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f84/mickmk/Jim/clip_referee_blind_md_wht.gif

SCSTILLER
11-18-2008, 12:59 PM
don't forget the Donnie Shell rule - something about contact downfield. I'm sure there are a few others related to the Steel Curtain.

AAHH, the rule that basically made Swann and Stallworth more dangerous after it was implemented!

fansince'76
11-18-2008, 01:01 PM

Actually it was the "Mel Blount Rule" which brought the 5-yard "bump zone" for DBs into play.

stlrtruck
11-18-2008, 02:49 PM
Actually it was the "Mel Blount Rule" which brought the 5-yard "bump zone" for DBs into play.

Thanks, I knew it was one of them.

Steelers & I
11-18-2008, 05:30 PM
I've recently learned what the referees are doing when they go behind that curtain to "allegedly" view a replay. Sources have indicated that the referees are actually engaged in a video-conference call with the jurors from the O.J. Simpson murder trial. At that time, the jurors decide what the proper call should be.

As silly as that sounds, it would explain how these referees come up with some of their rulings.