PDA

View Full Version : Players carrying guns for protection

PisnNapalm
11-18-2008, 07:39 PM
http://www.comcast.net/articles/sports-general/20081118/SPORTS-US-NFL-SECURITY/

Players taking security measures after murders
5 hours ago
Loading... Must Read?Thank YouYes

MIAMI — Frightened NFL players are carrying guns and hiring bodyguards as they seek to avoid becoming victims of violent crime which has already claimed the lives of two players.

Seven players told the latest edition of ESPN The Magazine, to be published on Friday, that the murders last year of Washington Redskins Sean Taylor safety and Denver Broncos' defensive back Darrent Williams, had raised the alarm among some of the country's toughest sportsmen.

"We are targets, we need to be aware of that everywhere we go," said Tampa Bay Buccaneers corner Ronde Barber.

Taylor was shot during a botched robbery at his home in South Florida while Williams was shot and killed outside a nightclub in Denver on New Years Eve, 2007.

This year, Oakland receiver Jevon Walker was robbed and beaten unconscious in Las Vegas and Jacksonville Jaguars lineman Richard Collier had to have his leg amputated after being shot and left paralyzed below the waist.

The response has been an escalation in security for the players and NFL Players' Association president Kevin Mawae, of the Tennessee Titans, estimates half his team mates carry guns.

"If I had to guess about our locker room, I'd say it's 50-50 when it comes to gun ownership," he told the magazine.

"I don't own a handgun. I have a hunting rifle. My job is to protect my family. If someone comes into my house? Game's on," he said.

Fred Taylor, a Jaguars team mate of Collier, said that not being able to carry guns at the team's facility makes him feel vulnerable.

ARMED ROBBERY

"I have all the security measures at my house -- systems, cameras, I can watch everything from my computer but I still don't think I have enough. Who knows what is enough?

"League officials tell us we need to take measures to protect ourselves. But the NFL says we can't have guns in the facility even in the parking lot. Crooks know this. They can just sit back and wait for us to drive off, knowing we won't have anything in our vehicle from point A to point B," says

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger told the magazine that he now has a bodyguard with him at all times.

"The one time I was scared the most, I didn't have anybody with me. I don't want to relive all the details, but this guy brandished a weapon in my face. I kept my cool and talked my way out of it. People showed up and helped get rid of the guy. That's when I decided to have someone with me all the time," he said.

Houston Texans cornerback Dunta Robinson suffered an armed robbery at his home, having a gun pointed in his face and being tied up, and says that was proof that even stay-at-home players, not just those who enjoy nightlife, can be at risk.

"It was the scariest moment of my life. You hear lots of stories of guys getting robbed and you say 'Man, what were they doing, how did they get into that situation? Flashy guys. Rude Guys, Guys who act like they're better than everyone. I don't roll like that and it still happened to me," he said.

Big salaries and high profiles, along with easily available travel schedules, make the players, easy targets but Dave Abrams, appointed as head of Denver's security following the murder of Williams, worries their families may soon be prayed upon.

"What's the next layer? Wives and children: a kid kidnapped for ransom, or some other kind of craziness. I'm scared to death that's where criminals perceive the next vulnerability is for our players: their families."

(Writing by Simon Evans; Editing by John Mehaffey)

stillers4me
11-18-2008, 07:57 PM
Ben knows the word "brandished"?

PisnNapalm
11-18-2008, 08:06 PM
He scored a 25 on the Wunderlich test. He is allowed to use multisyllabic words.

NJarhead
11-18-2008, 08:13 PM
I remember seeing something on NFL players also spending tons of cash to have their cars bullet-proofed. ....it's EXTREMELY expensive to do so.

In fact, here's one small article:

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/09/11/nfl-players-ordering-bulletproof-vehicles-after-collier-attack/

T.Richardson
11-18-2008, 08:13 PM
...I hate people who commit crimes. One of the reasons why I might become a Cop of some sort after I get out of the Navy.

tony hipchest
11-18-2008, 08:19 PM
ray lewis just carries a knife, although that is not as much about protection as it is 2nd degree homicide.

NJarhead
11-18-2008, 08:32 PM
ray lewis just carries a knife, although that is not as much about protection as it is 2nd degree homicide.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::thumbsup::drink:

That is just ****ing hysterical. I don't care who ya are.

Preacher
11-18-2008, 08:38 PM

:doh:

Only Tony could pull that post our of his butt

:chuckle::chuckle:

Polamalu Princess
11-18-2008, 08:39 PM
I am a lady that has a gun by my side 24/7. It is my right as a US citizen. I have had a gun by my bed, in my purse or on my waist for 15 years and I applaud those that choose to use caution, care and training to defend their Rights. The players do indeed need protection from the crazy people that would attempt to assault them.

tony hipchest
11-18-2008, 08:42 PM
:rofl::rofl::rofl::thumbsup::drink:

That is just ****ing hysterical. I don't care who ya are.

:doh:

Only Tony could pull that post our of his butt

lol. it worked for OJ... :noidea:

bungles carry guns to impress 15 year old girls. (and to jack room mates in college)

Preacher
11-18-2008, 08:44 PM
lol. it worked for OJ... :noidea:

bungles carry guns to impress 15 year old girls. (and to jack room mates in college)

Really? I thought they carried guns to protect themselves when the take back cars donated for raffles and give them to girlfriends. :hunch:

Maybe its both! :wink02:

tony hipchest
11-18-2008, 08:51 PM
Really? I thought they carried guns to protect themselves when the take back cars donated for raffles and give them to girlfriends. :hunch:

Maybe its both! :wink02:yeah, the bengals are dumb enough to carry guns to scratch their backs.

stlrtruck
11-19-2008, 07:58 AM
It's a shame the the players we follow and to some extent care about as if they were our family have to protect themselves because of the selfish acts of the idiotic few.

Leftoverhard
11-19-2008, 09:00 AM

:rofl:

TackleMeBen
11-19-2008, 05:08 PM
Ben Roethlisberger's public persona isn't limited to game days. The Steelers QB is a pitchman for Nike and a local car dealership—and his image adorns the bottle of his custom barbecue sauce. Which leaves Big Ben conflicted. Does his high profile give fans an invitation into his life? And if there's a line that shouldn't be crossed, where is it? With no easy answers, Roethlisberger, 26, is one of a growing number of players who uses bodyguards when going out. He says that, much like in a collapsing pocket, you sometimes can't tell what's coming until it's too late.

The one time I was scared the most, I didn't have anybody with me. I don't want to relive all the details, but this guy brandished a weapon in my face. I kept my cool and talked my way out of it. People showed up and helped get rid of the guy. That's when I decided to have someone with me all the time.

Early on, my teammates were like, "Who does that rookie think he is?" Now guys are like, "Man, that was one of the smartest things you've ever done." And some of those same guys have actually gotten security people themselves. Having a bodyguard doesn't make you weak. I'm sure 99% of the guys in the NFL could take care of themselves in a fight. The issue is protecting yourself and what you have: your name, health, money. You're trying to save your life.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?section=magazine&id=3710978

with it being the 1 yr anniversary of sean taylor's death i thought this article was very interesting.

nojobny
11-22-2008, 09:47 PM
A year after Sean Taylor was killed, NFL players talk about their own stories. Article features a segment on Ben. I posted Ben's portion, the link has the complete article with a number of other players.

ESPN Mag (http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3711336)

http://assets.espn.go.com/i/mag/2008issues/120108/LS_ben_roethlisberger.jpg

LIVING SCARED: BEN ROETHLISBERGER

Ben Roethlisberger's public persona isn't limited to game days. The Steelers QB is a pitchman for Nike and a local car dealership—and his image adorns the bottle of his custom barbecue sauce. Which leaves Big Ben conflicted. Does his high profile give fans an invitation into his life? And if there's a line that shouldn't be crossed, where is it? With no easy answers, Roethlisberger, 26, is one of a growing number of players who uses bodyguards when going out. He says that, much like in a collapsing pocket, you sometimes can't tell what's coming until it's too late.

http://assets.espn.go.com/i/mag/2008issues/120108/security_ben.jpg
Olugbenro Ogunsemore (top) and Rainer Hosch

The one time I was scared the most, I didn't have anybody with me. I don't want to relive all the details, but this guy brandished a weapon in my face. I kept my cool and talked my way out of it. People showed up and helped get rid of the guy. That's when I decided to have someone with me all the time.

Early on, my teammates were like, "Who does that rookie think he is?" Now guys are like, "Man, that was one of the smartest things you've ever done." And some of those same guys have actually gotten security people themselves. Having a bodyguard doesn't make you weak. I'm sure 99% of the guys in the NFL could take care of themselves in a fight. The issue is protecting yourself and what you have: your name, health, money. You're trying to save your life.

I do go to the younger, higher-profile guys on the team and just talk to them and tell them to be careful and to be smart. I keep my circle of friends real tight and real close and I don't just let anybody in.

You might go a whole lifetime and not encounter one thing. Or you may encounter 10 things in one weekend. You never know. Security doesn't mean a guy holding your hand as you're walking through a crowd. They're just there to keep an eye out. You've gotta interact with people. You have to shake hands, say hello, take pictures. You can't always be watching what people are doing behind you, and there's been more than one occasion when I was grateful to have a guy with me. Depending on the setting, you get guys who
just get really gutsy when they get a couple of drinks in them.

There's something about this that's so sad.

Steelman16
11-22-2008, 11:09 PM
I didn't know he had his own hot sauce. Dang, I gotta get me some!

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
11-22-2008, 11:14 PM
hummm? Do you think Packman Jones should get himself a body guard to take care of issues then he could just sit back when theres a conflict and not get in trouble

CanadianSteel
11-22-2008, 11:26 PM
Read this article a few days ago on ESPN. Not sure of the title.. as more likey living cautious and not scared.
I thinkl Ben's smartened up with nhis public appearances and such and realizes he is a target at times....

Hapa
11-22-2008, 11:38 PM

I'm sure Ben is smarter than most of us.

Hines0wnz
12-01-2008, 06:19 PM
I'm sure Ben is smarter than most of us.

Except for those of us who ride our motorcycles with a helmet on. :flap: