PDA

View Full Version : Mock Draft-2009

RoethlisBURGHer
11-19-2008, 04:26 AM
I will be starting my Mock Draft of 2009. It will be updated throughout the season and in the offseason leading up to the NFL Draft. Also, for any wondering why my draft doesn't include Texas QB Colt McCoy, he has already declared that he will be back for his Senior year at Texas therefore unavailable for the 2009 NFL Draft. Also, I am going by a draft order on another website with small adjustments due to where I think a team would be drafting if the draft were tomorrow, so please don't take this as where I feel a team will be drafting in April.

Round One

1. Detroit Lions: Sam Bradford, QB Oklahoma
With the first pick of the 2009 NFL Draft, the Lions cannot pass up a franchise QB with a cannon of an arm. Yes, they have other needs along the offensive line and on the defensive side of the football, but they get the most value out of this pick with Bradford.

2. Kansas City Chiefs: Brian Orakpo, DE Texas
Do you know how many sacks the Chiefs have on this season? A total of six...six freaking sacks! They do have other needs and they could be looking QB, OL, and possibly RB.

3. Cincinnati Bengals: Michael Crabtree, WR Texas Tech
They will be losing TJ Houshmandazeh in free agency, and this is the best WR out there in FA or the draft to replace him. They have other needs, such as defense and even a RB because Benson isn't the answer there. But this offense runs through a high powered passing attack when Carson Palmer is healthy so a WR of Crabtree's caliber is the best choice for the Bengals.

4. San Fransisco 49ers: Michael Oher, OT Ole Miss
They need help on the offensive line as much as they need help at various other positions. Alex Smith isn't quite gone yet, though he could be this offseason so I am not sold on them taking a QB here. Oher is the best offensive tackle in the draft and the 49ers could build an offensive line around him.

5. Oakland Raiders: Eugene Monroe, OT Virginia
They have used their past two first rounders on QB JaMarcus Russell and RB Darren McFadden. It's time to give these two players someone that helps them. A left tackle that will protect the blind side of Russell and help open holes for McFadden is the best option for the Raiders here.

6.Seattle Seahawks: Jeremy Maclin, WR Missouri
These team doesn't have a lot of holes, but an upgrade is needed at the wide receiver position. Maclin would give them a great target for Hasselbeck to throw to. I really don't see them going anywhere else unless Crabtree is available here.

7. St. Louis Rams: Andre Smith, OT Alabama
Orlando Pace is always hurt and his career is nearing an end. They have nobody to protect their highly paid quarterback or make holes for their highly paid running back. Is there really any other choice here?

8. Houston Texans: Taylor Mays, S USC
The Texans need help at saftey. Mays is the type of player that would be a difference maker for their secondary. He can cover and he hits like a linebacker, so he has no problem coming up into the box and help stuff the run. He kind of reminds me of another great USC saftey currently playing in the NFL...Troy Polamalu.

9. Cleveland Browns: Chris Wells, RB Ohio State
While they have other needs on the defensive side of the ball where they can use two other notable Buckeyes (CB Jenkins and ILB Laurinaitis), I have the Browns taking the Best Player Vailable (BPA) in Chris "Beanie" Wells. This guy is Jamal Lewis in his prime, only with more speed. Speaking of Jamal Lewis, he only has two seasons left on his contract and the Browns have nobody whatsoever to replace him. Wells only concerns are durability, but his couple of injuries have been minor and he's played through them for the most part. He's also an instantly recognizable face since most Browns fans are Ohio State fans who love him already (or Michigan fans who hate him).

10. San Diego Chargers: Rey Maualuga, ILB USC
Their inside linebacker corps can use an upgrade, and while I feel Laurinaitis is the better ILB...Maualuga is more instinctive and makes a bigger hit. He fits their attacking style of defense very well.

11. New Orleans Saints: Aaron Curry, OLB Wake Forest
Their defense is a mess. They thought they upgraded at OLB, but then Dan Morgan retired before training camp leaving them at a loss. Drafting Curry would take this LB corps towards the top of he NFC with Vilma roaming the middle.

12. Jacksonville Jaguars: Malcolm Jenkins, CB Ohio State
While they also need help at MLB with the demotion (and soon to be free agent) Mike Peterson, they can get themselves a good MLB in the second round. What their defense really needs is a playmaking CB accross from Rasheen Mathis and that's what they get with Jenkins. He plays well in the clutch and has no problem popping a RB.

13.Green Bay Packers: Michael Johnson, DE Georgia Tech
With KGB playing horrible this season and then being cut, the Packers need an upgrade accross from Aaron Kampman. Michael Johnson is solid against the run and can get to the QB also, he'd be the perfect fit for the Green Bay defense.

14. Buffalo Bills: Greg Hardy, Ole Miss
The Bills started out the season 5-1 and now are at 5-4. Part of the reason is lack of a pass rush. I know Aaron Schobel has been out, but there isn't much pass rush opposite him on the defensive line anyhow. Greg Hardy will only make Schoebel better by taking some attention off of him...which is good for the Bills defense.

RoethlisBURGHer
11-19-2008, 04:27 AM
15. Denver Broncos: James Laurinaitis, ILB Ohio State
Lil Animal is a perfect fit for a reeling Denver defense. He makes very good reads, has very good instincts, is a ballhawk in coverage, and rarley misses a tackle because he wraps up instead of going for a highlight hit.

16. Chicago Bears: Everette Brown, DE Florida State
The Chicago Bears are a defensive team, so I don't see them going with a WR here. Instead, I see them going defense with Brown. They are lacking a pass rush this season and Brown would be a big help in that department.

17. Miami Dolphins: DJ Moore, CB Vanderbilt
They have collected used cornerbacks for a while now. It's time the Dolphins inject some youth in that position with their 2009 first round pick.

18. Indianapolis Colts: Sen'Derrick Marks, DT Auburn
The Colts have nobody at defensive tackle. Back in the Buccs heyday with Dungy under control they had Warren Sapp and Booger McFarland plugging up the middle on the run and getting to the QB in pass plays. Marks fits that mold of DT and fits Dungy's Tampa Two defense perfectly.

19. Minnesota Vikings: Matthew Stafford, QB Georgia
Stafford should have been gone a long time ago, but most of the teams on here don't have a screaming need for a QB. They either already took one (Lions), have one in place who's young but has hope (Browns, Raiders, Bills), or need one but don't quite know it (Chiefs). Tavaris Jackson is no better than a backup QB and Gus Frerotte is a journeyman who definatly isn't the future.

20. Detroit Lions (From Dallas Cowboys: Ciron Black, OT LSU
Taking a QB with the first overall pick, with the one they got for Roy Williams they take Black, an OT to help protect all that money going to Stafford.

21. Philadelphia Eagles: Duke Robinson, OG Oklahoma
With Joh Runyan and William Tron Thomas both hitting the market, taking offensive line makes the most sense for the Eagles. With Robinson's huge self at LG then Herramens can slide to LT.

22. New England Patriots: Vontae Davis, CB Illinois
The Patriots let their best CB walk in free agency last year and has filled that position with scrubs. Bellicheck's "lets fill that position with another team's castoff and make him look good" trick failed miserably. Davis gives the Pats a cover corner with good hands, something they badly need.

23. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Percy Harvin, WR Florida
Harvin gives the Buccs a deep threat wideout. Everyone thought that Tampa was going WR last year when they surprised everyone with taking Talib Aquib, a CB. This year Gruden doesn't pass up a WR and takes Harvin.

24. Atlanta Falcons: Terrance Cody, DT Alabama
Cody is a big DT, just what this Atlanta defense needs. The Falcons defense is having lots of trouble stopping the run and Cody would help solve it.

25. New York Jets: Knowshon Moreno, RB Georgia
Thomas Jones isn't quite washed up, but he is going to be 30...when a RB starts on the downside of his career. Moreno doesn't only protect against a talentless backfield if/when Jones gets bad...he creates a very good 1-2 punch for the Jets while Jones is still playing at a high level.

26. Washington Redskins: Tyson Jackson, DE LSU
Jason Taylor only has one more season left under contract then he's likley out of football and headed for the bright lights of Hollywood. Tyson Jackson upgraded the line in depth for a year and takes over for Taylor after the 2009 season.

27. Arizona Cardinals: Brian Cushing, OLB USC
While their offense is tremendous, the Cardinals defense still leaves a lot to be desired. They can get some of that desire with Brian Cushing, who is a very solid OLB and would sure up that defense quite a bit.

28. Baltimore Ravens: Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR Maryland
I am sure the Ravens have seen plenty of Heyward-Bey, seeing how he plays in their own backyard in College Park. He's a talented wideout that would give Joe Flacco, last year's first round pick a nice target to throw to.

29. Pittsburgh Steelers: Alex Mack, OC California
After ignorning the offensive line last year and signing a servicable starter in the offseason....this year they draft their future anchor of the offensive line. They can build around him and get back to the type of offensive line that helped them to a 15-1 season in 2004 and a Super Bowl in 2005.

30. Philadelphia Eagles: Brandon Pettigrew, TE Oklahoma State
They supposedly asked about the Browns Kellen Winslow at the trade deadline and were told he's not available. Pettigrew can catch balls and is a decent blocker (better than Winslow) and would seriously upgrade the Eagles offense.

31. New York Giants: Marcus Freeman, OLB Ohio State
When Osi Umenyiora went down, they had to move Kiwanuka back to DE. With the way he's been playing, I can definatly see him staying at DE when Osi comes back and Justin Tuck being moved inside to DE where he's still a terror. Freeman is a good OLB who can cover and is a solid tackler, always an upgrade to a defense.

32. Tennessee Titans: Trevard Lindley, CB Kentucky
Next season is 34 year old Nick Harper's final year on his current contract with the Titans. They need to find someone who can take his place, and Lindley is one of the better cornerbacks at this point in the first round.

Texasteel
11-19-2008, 04:41 AM
I would take that and be tickled, but I'm starting to get an uneasy feeling about Mack being there when we pick.

ShutDown24
11-19-2008, 07:19 AM
Hahaha... One correction...

1. Detroit Lions: Michael Crabtree, WR Texas Tech =p

J/k, but I'm not sure they go Bradford or even QB in the first round... Something tells me the powers that be in Detroit believe in Daunte Culpepper ><

KeiselPower99
11-19-2008, 08:22 AM
Ill take a center in the first rd.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-19-2008, 09:59 AM
I would take that and be tickled, but I'm starting to get an uneasy feeling about Mack being there when we pick.

I think Mack will be there at our pick. I just dont know that we dont look to OT first and think of trading up in the 2nd to get Luigs. I also think Philly goes OT instead of Robinson at G, because they dont really have any depth there either.

I love the first shot a mock draft, especially in November. :thumbsup:

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-19-2008, 10:32 AM
I think Mack will be there at our pick. I just dont know that we dont look to OT first and think of trading up in the 2nd to get Luigs. I also think Philly goes OT instead of Robinson at G, because they dont really have any depth there either.

I love the first shot a mock draft, especially in November. :thumbsup:

Denver sites are really talking up Mack now....they may take him before we get a chance...

The good news is that Tyson Jackson is slipping BIG TIME!!!...I would be very happy to have Mack slip to us in the first...trade our two thirds for a second..and then with the combined two second round picks...get OT Loadholt and DE Jackson..in the fourth I would love to see us get FB/Jarvorski Lane as the missing piece to our run game.

atlsteelers
11-19-2008, 11:27 AM
i have to disagree with my man stafford falling that far, the lions probally would take him. if not KC, SanFran, Seatle, and StLious would all jump at him. alex smith is gone in san fran. they owe him a huge roster bonus this spring. no way they pay him.

atlsteelers
11-19-2008, 11:29 AM
also if Cody comes out he goes top 10

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
11-19-2008, 12:10 PM
9. Cleveland Browns: Chris Wells, RB Ohio State
While they have other needs on the defensive side of the ball where they can use two other notable Buckeyes (CB Jenkins and ILB Laurinaitis), I have the Browns taking the Best Player Vailable (BPA) in Chris "Beanie" Wells. This guy is Jamal Lewis in his prime, only with more speed. Speaking of Jamal Lewis, he only has two seasons left on his contract and the Browns have nobody whatsoever to replace him. Wells only concerns are durability, but his couple of injuries have been minor and he's played through them for the most part. He's also an instantly recognizable face since most Browns fans are Ohio State fans who love him already (or Michigan fans who hate him).

Love that pick . I'm hoping if we get him, in the secound round we pick up a good MLB, or get one in Free Agency.

RoethlisBURGHer
11-19-2008, 12:36 PM
i have to disagree with my man stafford falling that far, the lions probally would take him. if not KC, SanFran, Seatle, and StLious would all jump at him. alex smith is gone in san fran. they owe him a huge roster bonus this spring. no way they pay him.

I see the Lions taking Sam Bradford with the first overall pick.

I can see KC taking him, but I think they are too stupid to do so. They'll probally think they have something at least servicable in Tyler Thigpen.

San Fransisco probally doesn't keep Smith, but they can do something with Shaun Hill as long as they upgrade the offensive line and form their offense around the run game. I don't think they are quite ready for another first round QB after busting on Alex Smith.

Seattle still has Matt Hasselbeck, no way they take a QB first round.

St. Louis just gave Marc Bulger a huge contract the other year, no way they take a QB in the first round either. Their offense wouldn't be that horrid if Jackson wasn't hurt and the offensive line could block for both Bulger and Jackson.

The Duke
11-19-2008, 02:17 PM
Only thing I don't like is you don't have the steelers picking at 32, lol

Alex Mack would be a great 1st pick. If tyson jackson is available at round 2 that would be a awesome

but it's too good to be true. they probably go BPA there

Seattle still has Matt Hasselbeck, no way they take a QB first round.

He's 34 and with back problems. they need to groom a new QB

atlsteelers
11-19-2008, 03:26 PM
hassebeck is no longer a franchise qb - he is old and beat up - stafford could come in and sit for season then take over

st louis has already benched bulger a couple of times this season for trent green. bulger had a couple of nice season but his production has nose dived. a big contract does not mean garbage look no further than deanglo hall and the raiders.

I am hoping stafford is still taking snaps at sanford stadium next season.

MasterOfPuppets
11-19-2008, 05:07 PM
I'M not so sure the bungholes go reciever , henry, if not in prison by next season, can move to number 2, and didn't they draft 3 recievers last year? their oline has been a joke , 36 sacks already, no running game , i think they look for a tackle.

SunshineMan21
11-19-2008, 06:01 PM
I doubt the Raiders do the smart thing and go OT . . . if there's a shot at grabbing someone like Crabtree I see Al Davis going crazy over him. Conventional wisdom says the Raiders just can't take another skill position player with a terrible line and terrible run defense, especially considering JaMarcus Russell hasn't exactly been brilliant so far.

But I would bet on the Raiders to defy conventional wisdom, more out of insanity than anything else.

And as for us, I would be thrilled with Mack, but I'm afraid he might end up like last year's Brandon Albert--a "darkhorse" who shoots up draft boards before the draft. I know there's been speculation that Mack can play tackle--IMO unless there's a crazy talent slipping at DB or DL, we have to go OT first round.

Texasteel
11-19-2008, 07:08 PM
Denver sites are really talking up Mack now....they may take him before we get a chance...

The good news is that Tyson Jackson is slipping BIG TIME!!!...I would be very happy to have Mack slip to us in the first...trade our two thirds for a second..and then with the combined two second round picks...get OT Loadholt and DE Jackson..in the fourth I would love to see us get FB/Jarvorski Lane as the missing piece to our run game.

Your not talking about trading a 3rd round comp pick are you? I don't think we can do that.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-19-2008, 07:33 PM
Your not talking about trading a 3rd round comp pick are you? I don't think we can do that.

Your right...it would have to be our 2nd and 3rd....leaving us with the comp pick in the third.

MasterOfPuppets
11-19-2008, 09:20 PM
I would love to see us get FB/Jarvorski Lane as the missing piece to our run game.
yeah no doubt. hopefully tomlin and company are starting to realize a big bruising back for short yardage is a good thing. not only can lane carry the rock, he's like having an extra lineman in the lineup. i've never seen the guy play, can he catch?

RoethlisBURGHer
11-19-2008, 11:02 PM
Do you guys really think Mike Brown is going to take an offensive lineman that high when Crabtree will sell tons of jerseys?

As for the Raiders, they did take Robert Gallery very high a few years ago, so Al can make the smart move. A

nd as for the "who cares about the salary cap, look at DeAngelo Hall"...it wasnt the smartest thing to do capwise, but don't expect teams to just cut players with huge salaries because not every team is run by Al Davis.

Marc Bulger was benched by his ex-coach because that coach was making an ill-fated attempt to save his job...and attempt that failed. He lost the entire locker room when he did that.

As for Hasselbeck, he was fine all of last year so there's no reason to think he won't be back next year and do fine.

MasterOfPuppets
11-19-2008, 11:13 PM
Do you guys really think Mike Brown is going to take an offensive lineman that high when Crabtree will sell tons of jerseys?

As for the Raiders, they did take Robert Gallery very high a few years ago, so Al can make the smart move. A

nd as for the "who cares about the salary cap, look at DeAngelo Hall"...it wasnt the smartest thing to do capwise, but don't expect teams to just cut players with huge salaries because not every team is run by Al Davis.

Marc Bulger was benched by his ex-coach because that coach was making an ill-fated attempt to save his job...and attempt that failed. He lost the entire locker room when he did that.

As for Hasselbeck, he was fine all of last year so there's no reason to think he won't be back next year and do fine.after seeing his 100 million dollar man get trashed......yes.....not to mention they used a 2nd on simpson, a 3rd on caldwell, and a 7th on uretha, just last year.

XxKnightxX
11-19-2008, 11:22 PM
yeah no doubt. hopefully tomlin and company are starting to realize a big bruising back for short yardage is a good thing. not only can lane carry the rock, he's like having an extra lineman in the lineup. i've never seen the guy play, can he catch?

The guy can run his ass off, questionable blocking at FB since he wasnt happy about his transition but setlling in, and yeah he can catch and throw bombs so the guys is athletic for his size.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-20-2008, 10:43 AM

I like Loadholt, dont think he is nearly as polished as the pro's would like to see though. Jackson scares me. He likes to stand up a lot and runs around people like Bruce Davis did at UCLA. He needs to drive into the OT and then make his move while the guy is on his heels. (something tells me that Tyson Jackson needs work in the weight room)

Jarvorski Lane seems as likely to me now as Jerome Felton did this past draft. Too bad, that kid is a freak!!

Texasteel
11-20-2008, 05:19 PM
I think I am going to pay a little more attection to Peria Jerry of Old Miss. He's right around 300 lbs. and is pretty quick for that size. I have not seen him play yet, but know he had 5 tackles, 2 sacks, and pressured the QB a couple of times in their win against Ark. I believe he has over 10 tackles for a loss so far this year. He seems to be haveing a very good year, and may be what we all hoped Jackson was.

Anyone seen him play yet?

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-20-2008, 10:46 PM
I think I am going to pay a little more attection to Peria Jerry of Old Miss. He's right around 300 lbs. and is pretty quick for that size. I have not seen him play yet, but know he had 5 tackles, 2 sacks, and pressured the QB a couple of times in their win against Ark. I believe he has over 10 tackles for a loss so far this year. He seems to be haveing a very good year, and may be what we all hoped Jackson was.

Anyone seen him play yet?

Here is a youtube video of him vs FLA. The vid looks good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3i9rzG6F-U
Stays low, drives forward and attacks downhill. Looks to have a good motor and at 6'2", is a bit short for a 3-4 DE, but being that size, agile and 2 time SEC lineman of the week......he could fit the bill.

Looks like a better 3-4 DE than Jackson ....IMO.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-21-2008, 03:40 AM
I like Loadholt, dont think he is nearly as polished as the pro's would like to see though. Jackson scares me. He likes to stand up a lot and runs around people like Bruce Davis did at UCLA. He needs to drive into the OT and then make his move while the guy is on his heels. (something tells me that Tyson Jackson needs work in the weight room)

Jarvorski Lane seems as likely to me now as Jerome Felton did this past draft. Too bad, that kid is a freak!!

I have been keeping an eye on Felton at Detroit....and still like him.

I think Jackson needs some coaching and a fire lit under his butt...he doesnt look like the same player that he was last year. He has the size and ability...and I am hoping he slides enough for us to take a amble on him.

Loadholt sorta falls into the same category...I have to scratch my head about how he can have perfect technigue on one play, then virtually stand up straight on the next...getting pushed back into the pocket.

With Jackson and Loadholt...it seems that the talent is there...but they may need to learn under a couple of Vets for a year.

Texasteel
11-21-2008, 05:37 AM
I have been keeping an eye on Felton at Detroit....and still like him.

I think Jackson needs some coaching and a fire lit under his butt...he doesnt look like the same player that he was last year. He has the size and ability...and I am hoping he slides enough for us to take a amble on him.

Loadholt sorta falls into the same category...I have to scratch my head about how he can have perfect technigue on one play, then virtually stand up straight on the next...getting pushed back into the pocket.

With Jackson and Loadholt...it seems that the talent is there...but they may need to learn under a couple of Vets for a year.

Like you I'm not ready to give up on Jackson either, and will keep a close eye on him the rest of the way. Another kid, if he came out, on the same team I like is Ricky Jean-Francois. The last 2 games I watched I thought he outplays both Jackson and Woods. There is still a lot of kids to look at.

I'm still not throwing in the towel on Boone either, seems like a lot of people are down on him which could push him to us in the 3rd round, and Boone in the 3rd could be very interesting for us. I also want to see Fenuki at Oregon again.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-21-2008, 11:03 AM
Like you I'm not ready to give up on Jackson either, and will keep a close eye on him the rest of the way. Another kid, if he came out, on the same team I like is Ricky Jean-Francois. The last 2 games I watched I thought he outplays both Jackson and Woods. There is still a lot of kids to look at.

I'm still not throwing in the towel on Boone either, seems like a lot of people are down on him which could push him to us in the 3rd round, and Boone in the 3rd could be very interesting for us. I also want to see Fenuki at Oregon again.

I'm with you guys in that I dont count out anybody. I know LLT likes Felton and I wish we picked him too as a FB. We dont get to interview these guys or their coaches to see what their personality and desire are like.

Jackson could be the energizer bunny that just doesnt come out straight ahead at defenders, Loadholt could be a guy that loses focus and falls asleep on some plays, Boone might just look bad this season because of injury, which doesnt discount his previous great years at OSU. If they can be "coached up" the scouts can determine that better.

I'm just going on what I see and admittedly dont get to watch as much NCAA as I used to before kids. I love TiVo. !!! Still a great first Mock of 2009.

Aussie_steeler
11-21-2008, 03:53 PM
I will be starting my Mock Draft of 2009.

Well Done RoethlisBURGHer. Awesome job for a November mock.

I love the Mack pick but I can see either Buffalo or Arizona maybe looking at him before us.

The more I look at possible scenarios the more I see an aggressive trade up in the first round for one of the stud OT's. I just dont see 9 picks being made - more like 6 IMO.

A question for everybody - The new climber on some boards at the OT position is Eben Britton out of Arizona. Has anyone had a chance to see him play? He has appeared out of the blue and is rated a late first rounder by some.

RoethlisBURGHer
11-21-2008, 11:47 PM
Thanks guys.

I like Boone a lot, I think his lumps have been thrown in with the rest of the Ohio State line.

It didn't help that Boeckman is a statue in the pocket and now he's being asked to block for a freshman quarterback who's not being asked to throw it much, therefore having to take off and run.

Texasteel
11-22-2008, 06:01 AM
Who do we need to be watching today? Isn't Okie. on later?

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-22-2008, 12:13 PM
Who do we need to be watching today? Isn't Okie. on later?

I'm recording the Sooners and Tex Tech, also Ole Miss-LSU. Gonna have more looks at Tyson Jackson, Oher, Loadholt, Robinson, Peria Jerry and others. That is after taking kids to soccer, swimming, birthday party, ...............I couldnt live without my PVR.

If you are interested in anybody else in those games let me know. I'll give them a look before deleting.

Texasteel
11-22-2008, 12:43 PM
I'm recording the Sooners and Tex Tech, also Ole Miss-LSU. Gonna have more looks at Tyson Jackson, Oher, Loadholt, Robinson, Peria Jerry and others. That is after taking kids to soccer, swimming, birthday party, ...............I couldnt live without my PVR.

If you are interested in anybody else in those games let me know. I'll give them a look before deleting.

You've pretty much got it covered, I was planning the same thing. I'm watching the Louisville game now, wanted to take a look a Wood the center. So far I've been pretty impressed. He looks stronger than I thought and drives the D-line off the ball.

Pat White looks to be playing himself into the 3rd round, I had thought we might take a look at him in the 4th.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-22-2008, 02:07 PM
You've pretty much got it covered, I was planning the same thing. I'm watching the Louisville game now, wanted to take a look a Wood the center. So far I've been pretty impressed. He looks stronger than I thought and drives the D-line off the ball.

Pat White looks to be playing himself into the 3rd round, I had thought we might take a look at him in the 4th.

Yeah, Wood was getting some run by Tony Pauline at CNNSI. Mack, Luigs, Caldwell, Unger, Wood look like the top prospects at C, (Unger to me is more of a guy that fits a zone block scheme. A taller Mike Pollack kind of player). Thanks for he heads up, I dont get that game.

MasterOfPuppets
11-22-2008, 02:10 PM

Louis Vasquez, Texas Tech
Herman Johnson, LSU
Al Woods, LSU
Marlon Favorite, LSU
Curtis Taylor, FS, LSU
DeMarcus Granger, Oklahoma
Lendy Holmes, FS, Oklahoma

Brandon
11-22-2008, 09:14 PM
Loadholt will be nothing more than a guard in the NFL. He is horribly slow for a tackle.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
11-22-2008, 10:21 PM
I would love to get the center in the first round and pick a nice OT in the offseason (jordan gross) will be a FA....may be too much but that would upgrade our line big time

Texasteel
11-23-2008, 07:02 AM

Didn't see the Tech game and didn't get the darn thing recorded.
Did Vasquez play? I thought he may still be hurt. Kids sliding because of injuries, could make a hell of a guard.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-23-2008, 09:30 AM
OK, got thu some of the games and watched a few players, will go back and look at more later too. Here are a few observations.

Alex Boone- dominant inline blocker. He locks on and moves people. Doesnt bend well at the hips and knees and sometimes this causes him to miss blocks at the 2nd level. His pass protection game reminds me of Max Starks, lack of lateral quickness and athleticism gets him over extended and quicker guys beat him. (2nd last play of the 3rd quarter the Michigan DE beat him terribly on a pass rush and it shows his slow feet) Solid RT and round 2-3 prospect.

Tyson Jackson, stands up and doesnt engage the OT in pass rush. Will plug up things in the run game, but not a real run stuffer. One play he showed a great rip inside which displayed some strength and power, but doesnt play with it all the time. Not quick enough to be a 4-3DE with sack potential, but not a strong enough run stuffer to be a good 3-4 DE. STrange tweener to me and a guy that needs work to be a 3-4 DE. Round 3 IMO.

Phil Loadholt- Big guy, good feet, uses his hands in pass protection well but doesnt punch. Locks on in run blocking and turns defender, but could get better leg drive. Tends to sit up too high in pass protection and it causes him to get flat footed. If he learns to sit down in pass protection and bend at theknees in run blocking....he can really be a great LT. Needs work, but to me a Jeff Otah guy without the nasty streak. Rd1-2.

Michael Oher- has it all, great feet, techique, strength. A top 5 pick.

Gerald McKoy-Oklahoma- Really stood out as a DT but doesnt graduate until 2011. Impressive athlete, strong, good motor and keeps attacking. Look for him down the road

Duke Robinson- A mauler in the run game, saw him get a bit high and flat footed in the pass protection game, but otherwise solid. Round 1-2 for sure.

Peria Jerry. Well built, solid player keeps low pad level and drives into the blocker. Athletic and has a good motor, always seems to be around the ball. Run stuffer and collapses the pocket in pass rushing. A good 4-3DT and could play 3-4 DE IMO. Round 2-3 I think.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-23-2008, 10:05 AM
Didn't see the Tech game and didn't get the darn thing recorded.
Did Vasquez play? I thought he may still be hurt. Kids sliding because of injuries, could make a hell of a guard.

Yeah, he played. What was his injury?? A few plays he got pushed back into the QB on pass protection, but for the rest of what I saw he was solid in pass protection. A strong run blocker that didnt get downfield on the screen pass really well. Overall, he looks as good, or better than anybody we have starting at OG for the Steelers right now.

Texasteel
11-23-2008, 10:30 AM
Yeah, he played. What was his injury?? A few plays he got pushed back into the QB on pass protection, but for the rest of what I saw he was solid in pass protection. A strong run blocker that didnt get downfield on the screen pass really well. Overall, he looks as good, or better than anybody we have starting at OG for the Steelers right now.

He had an ankle injury, I think it was the 1st game of the year, and its given him a few problems all year. I thought that I read he reinjured it but maybe not. I think its just one of those things that he needs to stay off the field till it heals. What you've just discribed tells me it is still bothering him.

Havik
11-26-2008, 10:47 AM
Here is my mock draft, each pick is the team's biggest need or best player available if there is no player available to fill need. Also shows some trades that I think are possible. I predict pass rushers will be the big thing in this draft, much like offensive linemen were this year.

1. Detroit (0-11) Michael Oher-OT-Mississippi
2. Kansas City (1-10) Brian Orakpo-DE-Texas
3. Cincinnati (1-9-1) Michael Johnson-DE-Georgia Tech
4. Oakland (trade up with St. Louis) (3-8) Michael Crabtree-WR-Texas Tech
5. Seattle (2-9) Chris Wells-RB-Ohio State
6. San Francisco (3-8) Eugene Monroe-OT-Virginia
7. St. Louis (trade down from Oakland) (2-9) Andre Smith-OT-Alabama
8. Houston (4-7) Taylor Mays-SS-USC
9. San Diego (4-7) Rey Maualuga-ILB-USC
10. Jacksonville (4-7) Malcolm Jenkins-CB-Ohio State
11. Cleveland (4-7) George Selvie-DE/OLB-South Florida
12. Green Bay (5-6) Greg Hardy-DE-Mississippi
13. Denver (trade up with Philadelphia) (6-5) James Lauranaitis-LB-Ohio State
14. Buffalo (6-5) Everette Brown-DE-Florida State
15. Miami (6-5) DJ Moore-CB-Vanderbilt
16. New Orleans (6-5) Aaron Curry-OLB-Wake Forest
17. Minnesota (6-5) Tim Tebow-QB-Florida
18. Philadelphia (trade down with Denver) (5-5-1) Duke Robinson-G-Oklahoma
19. Chicago (6-5) Jeremy Maclin-WR-Missouri
20. Atlanta (7-4) Terrence Cody-NT-Alabama
21. New England (7-4) Vontae Davis-CB-Illinois
22. Detroit - from Dallas (7-4) Matt Stafford-QB-Georgia
23. Arizona (7-4) Alex Mack-C-California
24. Indianapolis (7-4) Sen'Derrick Marks-DT-Auburn
25. Washington (7-4) Tyson Jackson-DE-LSU
26. Baltimore (7-4) Trevard Lindley-CB-Kentucky
27. New York Jets (8-3) Knowshon Moreno-WR-Georgia
28. Tampa Bay (8-3)-Percy Harvin-WR-Florida
29. Philadelphia - from Carolina (8-3) Ciron Black-OT-LSU
30. Pittsburgh (8-3) Jason Smith-OT-Baylor
31. Tennessee (10-1) Darrius Heyward-Bey-WR-Maryland
32. New York Giants (10-1) Brian Cushing-OLB-USC

lilyoder6
11-26-2008, 11:02 AM
if the vikings could get tim tebow.. that can/could solve a lot fo there problems.. and then in the 2nd rd get a good quality wr so he can throw 2 someone

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-26-2008, 12:47 PM
Sam Bradford dropping out of the first round?? :jawdrop:

I guess he's gotta declare.

MasterOfPuppets
11-28-2008, 01:45 AM
I REALLY just don't see tyson jackson going in the first. the guys been thrown into the 1st round based soley on his performance 2 yrs ago, and expectations.

SunshineMan21
12-02-2008, 11:47 PM
Sam Bradford dropping out of the first round?? :jawdrop:

I guess he's gotta declare.

+1

Bradford is the top QB on most draft boards I've seen.

ShutDown24
12-03-2008, 03:15 AM
Yeah, you need to fit Bradofrd in there somewhere in my opinion.

Is Tebow really going to go in the First round?

Dinger
12-08-2008, 06:16 AM
DJ Moore and Marcus Freeman are reaches in the 1st round. Neither is worthy of that grade

Stillers33
12-08-2008, 07:41 PM
so your saying the titans are gonna win the superbowl? comeon man

ShutDown24
12-10-2008, 01:13 AM
so your saying the titans are gonna win the superbowl? comeon man

Well, you never know what's going to happen in any given post season.

The biggest criticism I have with the draft is that Tebow isn't going in the first round. He might not even play quarterback at the next level.

MDSteel15
12-11-2008, 01:42 AM
Here is my mock draft, each pick is the team's biggest need or best player available if there is no player available to fill need. Also shows some trades that I think are possible. I predict pass rushers will be the big thing in this draft, much like offensive linemen were this year.

1. Detroit (0-11) Michael Oher-OT-Mississippi
2. Kansas City (1-10) Brian Orakpo-DE-Texas
3. Cincinnati (1-9-1) Michael Johnson-DE-Georgia Tech
4. Oakland (trade up with St. Louis) (3-8) Michael Crabtree-WR-Texas Tech
5. Seattle (2-9) Chris Wells-RB-Ohio State
6. San Francisco (3-8) Eugene Monroe-OT-Virginia
7. St. Louis (trade down from Oakland) (2-9) Andre Smith-OT-Alabama
8. Houston (4-7) Taylor Mays-SS-USC
9. San Diego (4-7) Rey Maualuga-ILB-USC
10. Jacksonville (4-7) Malcolm Jenkins-CB-Ohio State
11. Cleveland (4-7) George Selvie-DE/OLB-South Florida
12. Green Bay (5-6) Greg Hardy-DE-Mississippi
13. Denver (trade up with Philadelphia) (6-5) James Lauranaitis-LB-Ohio State
14. Buffalo (6-5) Everette Brown-DE-Florida State
15. Miami (6-5) DJ Moore-CB-Vanderbilt
16. New Orleans (6-5) Aaron Curry-OLB-Wake Forest
17. Minnesota (6-5) Tim Tebow-QB-Florida
18. Philadelphia (trade down with Denver) (5-5-1) Duke Robinson-G-Oklahoma
19. Chicago (6-5) Jeremy Maclin-WR-Missouri
20. Atlanta (7-4) Terrence Cody-NT-Alabama
21. New England (7-4) Vontae Davis-CB-Illinois
22. Detroit - from Dallas (7-4) Matt Stafford-QB-Georgia
23. Arizona (7-4) Alex Mack-C-California
24. Indianapolis (7-4) Sen'Derrick Marks-DT-Auburn
25. Washington (7-4) Tyson Jackson-DE-LSU
26. Baltimore (7-4) Trevard Lindley-CB-Kentucky
27. New York Jets (8-3) Knowshon Moreno-WR-Georgia
28. Tampa Bay (8-3)-Percy Harvin-WR-Florida
29. Philadelphia - from Carolina (8-3) Ciron Black-OT-LSU
30. Pittsburgh (8-3) Jason Smith-OT-Baylor
31. Tennessee (10-1) Darrius Heyward-Bey-WR-Maryland
32. New York Giants (10-1) Brian Cushing-OLB-USC

Ummmm, you do know he is a Running Back right? :popcorn:

Blonde Bomber
12-20-2008, 07:39 AM
I just thought I would give you guys some more reading to do.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Mock-Draft-A.php

ShutDown24
12-20-2008, 07:58 AM

That's one of the better mocks I have seen (Posted on SF anyway). The only few things that really stuck out to me as bad projection was Stafford going before Bradford. I definitely don't see that happening. Everyone is just in love with Bradford now.

The other pick I didn't like was Cushing going to Miami.

Oh, and in my opinion Pettigrew is definitely going to be the first tight end off the board.

The Duke
12-20-2008, 11:48 AM

That was a really good mock draft. thanks for posting

If kemo leaves then a guard would be an interesting choice, if not a tackle seems like the "smart" choice. Though if Alex Mack is available that's an option too

Don't know much about Duke Robinson, but he's a Duke so he's got to be great :cool:

Wow that draft thinks the Titans are gonna win the SB

They go by the current order of records

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-20-2008, 01:02 PM
Its a pretty good mock, but no way do I see Max Unger drafted that high, nor do I see the Eagles passing on an O lineman with Thomas and Runyan being older than Methusela.

I also doubt that Duke Robinson falls that far. He is by far the best OG in the draft class. If anybody picks Max Unger over Duke Robinson, I will post that I am the worst talent evaluator to ever sit at a keyboard......but you never know I guess.

Texasteel
12-20-2008, 01:10 PM
Its a pretty good mock, but no way do I see Max Unger drafted that high, nor do I see the Eagles passing on an O lineman with Thomas and Runyan being older than Methusela.

I also doubt that Duke Robinson falls that far. He is by far the best OG in the draft class. If anybody picks Max Unger over Duke Robinson, I will post that I am the worst talent evaluator to ever sit at a keyboard......but you never know I guess.

If Unger gos before Robinson, it won't be you that is a rotten talent evaluator.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-20-2008, 06:29 PM
If Unger gos before Robinson, it won't be you that is a rotten talent evaluator.

I dont know. Mayock seems to have Unger at #17 on his list. I just cant see it though, the games I watched Unger had a poor anchor and got pushed around by the NT/DT's. He is athletic, but looks strictly like a zone block center.

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story?id=09000d5d80d41b6d&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Texasteel
12-20-2008, 06:54 PM
I dont know. Mayock seems to have Unger at #17 on his list. I just cant see it though, the games I watched Unger had a poor anchor and got pushed around by the NT/DT's. He is athletic, but looks strictly like a zone block center.

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story?id=09000d5d80d41b6d&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

He also has Raji at 8 which I'm not buying, and Cushing ahead of Laurinaitis, which I personally don't agree with.
Its not that I don't like Mayock, I think he pretty decent, but I trust some of the guys on this board more.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-20-2008, 11:04 PM
Its not that I don't like Mayock, I think he pretty decent, but I trust some of the guys on this board more.

So True. Its pretty common to see Mayock change his rankings rather drastically after 1-End of Bowl season, 2. after the Combine, 3. after personal workouts.

MasterOfPuppets
12-21-2008, 05:29 AM
micheal oher falling to 16 OR the end of rd 1......:rofl: .......did this moron not see the fire sale on not so great tackles last year? if someone was willing to trade back into the 1st for the likes of sam baker.... then someone sure as hell should trade into the top 10 for a guy like oher.

Texasteel
12-21-2008, 05:37 AM
micheal oher falling to 16 OR the end of rd 1......:rofl: .......did this moron not see the fire sale on not so great tackles last year? if someone was willing to trade back into the 1st for the likes of sam baker.... then someone sure as hell should trade into the top 10 for a guy like oher.

Hell MOP, I hope Oher falls all the way to 32. That would make our 1st pick awfully easy.

MasterOfPuppets
12-21-2008, 05:49 AM
Hell MOP, I hope Oher falls all the way to 32. That would make our 1st pick awfully easy.
hell if he was still on the board at 15, i'd be screamin my fool head off at the TV for the steelers to trade up for him !!! :chuckle: