PDA

View Full Version : In the Bengals' bull's eye

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-19-2008, 08:03 AM
In the Bengals' bull's eye
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Keith Rivers became an unwitting star in Hines Ward's growing collection of YouTube hits when the Steelers visited the Cincinnati Bengals last month.

Whether Rivers' teammates plan to exact revenge for the block that broke the rookie linebacker's jaw -- and cemented Ward's reputation as the kind of player opposing teams love to hate -- will soon become apparent.

But Ward had this message Tuesday for any Bengals defender looking to take out the Steelers wide receiver in Thursday's 8:15 p.m. game: he doesn't scare easily, and threats are about as foreign to him as Terrible Towels are to Heinz Field.

"Every game, somebody is trying to get me back," said Ward, who is coming off back-to-back 100-yard receiving games, "but I'm not going to change my ways. Nobody's going to apologize to me when they knock me out going across the middle, so why should I try to apologize to anybody?"

Ward, though, did try to reach out to Rivers through Bengals wide receiver Chad Johnson. Ward, who apologized for the outcome of his crack-back block but not for the actual hit, said he never heard back from Rivers, the Bengals' first-round draft pick.

The four-time Pro Bowler has more important things to worry about -- including whether a group other than Bengals defenders will target him Thursday.

Referees flagged Ward three times, twice for holding and once for a block in the back, in last Sunday's 11-10 win over the San Diego Chargers. The penalties, he said, were more than a source of frustration.

Ward became so wary of the officials that he pulled back on a block during a Willie Parker run because he didn't want to draw a holding penalty. Even on that play, which came on the Steelers' final drive, Ward said he drew a rebuke for not being aggressive enough.

"I put my hand on the guy and once I saw Willie get around (the corner) I pulled it off because I didn't want to get another holding call for something I didn't know what I was doing," Ward said. "One ref said 'Don't do that. You make it seem like we missed a call.'"

Ward, who doesn't think the NFL is singling him out because of his reputation as a fierce blocker, plans to get a clarification from referees before kickoff Thursday on what he can and can't do while blocking.

Hail to Hines?
Hines Ward may draw a lot of attention for his blocking, but the four-time Pro Bowler is quietly having one of the best seasons of his career. The 11th-year veteran is on pace to catch 94 passes for 1,211 yards and nine touchdowns. Here is how those numbers compare to what he did in the past five seasons:
G Rec. Yds TDs
2007 13 71 732 7
2006 14 74 975 6
2005 15 69 975 11
2004 16 80 1,004 4
2003 16 95 1,163 10

The 11th-year veteran needs no reminder from the Bengals when it comes to how they feel about him as a blocker.

Rivers, who is out for the rest of the season, said at the end of October that with Ward, what goes around, comes around.

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said Tuesday that Ward's block on Rivers was "within the spirit of the rules the way it is right now." Lewis, however, is on the NFL's eight-man competition committee, and he said he expects the group to discuss the legality of that kind of block during the offseason.

That echoed something NFL vice president of operations Ray Anderson said last month when he met with several Steelers players, including Ward.

"If I really wanted to hurt Rivers, I would have went low on him and tried to take out his knees," said Ward, who did not get fined for the hit. "For people to label me as dirty or (the hit as a) cheap shot ... you're worried about a little, 200-pound, 32-year-old wide receiver. I take that as a compliment."

Bengals wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh said he thought Ward's hit on Rivers was clean and he doesn't expect it to be an issue Thursday night.

"Maybe the guys on defense might feel different," Houshmandzadeh said, "but it hasn't been talked about thus far.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_599121.html

revefsreleets
11-19-2008, 08:44 AM
That's fine, as long as the refs make sure to throw the flag against the Bungs early and often. Ejections wouldn't be out of order, either...

Tankus_Maximus
11-19-2008, 09:32 AM
ooooh so scary...in the "bullseye" of a 1-8-1 team.

Leftoverhard
11-19-2008, 09:39 AM
Hines Ward may draw a lot of attention for his blocking, but the four-time Pro Bowler is quietly having one of the best seasons of his career. The 11th-year veteran is on pace to catch 94 passes for 1,211 yards and nine touchdowns.

Nice....Quietly - I like that.

kmsteelerwr15
11-19-2008, 09:49 AM
In the Bengals' bull's eye
"For people to label me as dirty or (the hit as a) cheap shot ... you're worried about a little, 200-pound, 32-year-old wide receiver. I take that as a compliment."
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_599121.html

There you go Hines :tt:

moedap
11-19-2008, 10:02 AM
I lmao everytime i see that hit. A big part of the fun of watching football is for hits just like that. "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

TackleMeBen
11-19-2008, 10:04 AM
hines knows that the refs will be watching his every move and will be itching to throw a flag against him.

but i am sure that hines isnt too worried.. i mean its only the bengals and we all know that the bengals suck!

stlrtruck
11-19-2008, 11:00 AM
The more they worry about Hines and try to exact revenge, the less attention they'll be paying on the RB zooming past them.

Good game plan guys! Focus on Hines forget the guy with the ball.

SCSTILLER
11-19-2008, 11:09 AM
Way to go Hines! I am surprised to see TJ Howsyomama actually defending Hines a little bit seeming somewhat classy in doing so.

atlsteelers
11-19-2008, 11:22 AM
Maybe we should let hines play a little safety.

The_WARDen
11-19-2008, 02:58 PM
If they focus on stupid things such as retaliation instead of football, it could explain why they're 1-8-1.

:noidea: