PDA

View Full Version : Steelers coach Mike Tomlin's Take

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-19-2008, 09:16 AM
Steelers coach Mike Tomlin's Take
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, November 19, 2008

On if he has backed off as far as working the players because of the short week:

"You have to. We need to prepare, they need the in-helmet perspective as we prepare to get looks in all three phases, but at the same time, we have to cut down on the mileage that we put on the wheels as we prepare. It is a balancing act and it is a tight rope, one that we are walking."

On whether players can perform at a high level after a short week of practice and recovery time:

"My mindset, and the thing that I am trying to relate to the team, is that it is relative, meaning that both teams are dealing with the short week. When we were back in Latrobe at training camp, I called the team together at times and asked how they were doing, and I said it was important that they were doing relatively well -- relatively to the man standing next to them -- as they were competing for jobs. I think that same thing can be said when you are dealing with this situation being the short week."

On whether the Steelers' defense can be considered a great one:

"I think at this point that is a fair assessment. But it is an incomplete body of work. Great defenses are made in November, December and January and, hopefully, late January. Those are the true great ones. I think our unit has the mindset that they want to be great, and it is going to require them and us to continue to do what we are doing at this point."

On how Willie Parker played in Sunday's 11-10 win over the San Diego Chargers:

"Willie really ran the ball extremely well and hard for us. He gave us a Willie Parker-type performance. His health is his health. I think he is doing fine. Willie is the guy that wants the football and wants to be the reason why we win. I enjoy that part of dealing with him. In the short week, we will go out there and play again and proceed."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_599125.html