PDA

View Full Version : NEW — Steelers to be shown on TV throughout region

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-18-2008, 03:46 AM
Steelers-Bengals game will be televised in limited local area
Tuesday, November 18, 2008
By Bob Smizik, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers-Cincinnati Bengals game Thursday will be carried on the NFL Network and also locally, in what is known as the Pittsburgh Designated Market Area, on WPCW.

The PDMA includes the following counties: Allegheny, Armstrong, Beaver, Butler, Clarion, Fayette, Forest, Greene, Indiana, Lawrence, Venango, Washington and Westmoreland.

Some nearby counties, such as Bedford and Somerset, are not included in the PDMA and viewers in those areas can see the game only on the NFL Network.

NFL Network games are bid out to stations. WPCW, a sister station to KDKA, won the right to carry the game locally. KDKA, which carried the NFL Network's coverage of the Steelers-St. Louis Rams game last December, did not bid on this game.

Chris Pike, the general manager of KDKA and WPCW, explained KDKA's reasoning.

"The reality is that this game is in November and we are still in original programming, and Thursday night is extremely strong for CBS.

"Last year when we did the game we could project to be in a re-run period."

Had KDKA carried the game Thursday, it would have preempted such popular shows as "Survivor" and "CSI."
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08323/928778-66.stm

stillers4me
11-18-2008, 05:14 AM
Here in the Cinci area, it's supposed to be broadcast on channel 5 HD, according to the Bengals official site.

warddj86
11-18-2008, 02:58 PM
two words, stoogetv.com

meelanova
11-18-2008, 03:44 PM
well, Im just glad the majority of the Steelers games have been nationally television this year (Im in NJ). *sheds tear*

T.Richardson
11-18-2008, 04:01 PM
Sweet, although I have NFL Network.

JEFF4i
11-18-2008, 05:32 PM
I don't have NFL Network. How's the stability of that StoogeTV? I really want to watch this game, and might have to hit up a bar and throw away some money in case of it.

The NFL.com one that airs it has horrid stability.

MasterOfPuppets
11-18-2008, 06:38 PM
I don't have NFL Network. How's the stability of that StoogeTV? I really want to watch this game, and might have to hit up a bar and throw away some money in case of it.

The NFL.com one that airs it has horrid stability.:pde: ....and thats a bad thing ???

MasterOfPuppets
11-18-2008, 06:41 PM
if people would stop paying for the damn NFL network, they'd fold and ALLLL ....THE GAMES WOULD BE ON !!!!......:banging:

devilsdancefloor
11-18-2008, 08:29 PM
ya i am in indiana dolts country so i wil not be able to see my black n gold it has been a good year for me to watch with the national games and actually got to see a couple others due to dolts playing sunday night or monday so i have been very thankful. i will be glued to my computer tomorrow night!

ben7
11-18-2008, 08:43 PM
I get the game in Toronto.

Preacher
11-18-2008, 08:47 PM
Um..

People./

It actually is being broadcast on the NFL website.

However, you need to log in early.

steelpride12
11-18-2008, 08:48 PM
Ill be there no worries. Ill try and get pics to post on the site.

Sharkissle29
11-18-2008, 08:52 PM
i'll be watching the game at my local buffalo wild wings.

Stu Pidasso
11-18-2008, 09:41 PM
if people would stop paying for the damn NFL network, they'd fold and ALLLL ....THE GAMES WOULD BE ON !!!!......:banging:

It's included in my Dish Network package. Although this week, it don't matter, because I'll be there!!!!

JEFF4i
11-18-2008, 10:17 PM
Um..

People./

It actually is being broadcast on the NFL website.

However, you need to log in early.

Everygame I have watched on there has had horrid upload stability. I get booted, or it slows down, buffering, etc.

I'm not saying it isn't my end, but I have no problem with nearly any other site. Because of this, I'm trying to find a good alternative. Its fine when its other teams, but not the Steelers!

smilz3672
11-19-2008, 02:58 PM
Yeah I tried to watch the pats game last week on nfl live and it would stop or skip. it sucked. any of yinz guyz who lives in the butler pa area the games on channel 19

Hines4ever
11-19-2008, 03:35 PM
Sweet, although I have NFL Network.

I have NFL network too so no problem right if what I'm understanding is correct. I live in York Pa area?:noidea:

KeiselPower99
11-19-2008, 03:41 PM
Ill be there for it so no worries for me. Thursday night games seem to be the ones I always go to. Hopefull itll be warmer then the -3 degrees 2 years ago against the Browns. On a side note I would hope the game would be on local tv in Pittsburgh cause the Jets game last week was on local NY channels.

Preacher
11-19-2008, 04:02 PM
Everygame I have watched on there has had horrid upload stability. I get booted, or it slows down, buffering, etc.

I'm not saying it isn't my end, but I have no problem with nearly any other site. Because of this, I'm trying to find a good alternative. Its fine when its other teams, but not the Steelers!

Once I am on, I don't normally have a problem. However, it gets SO overloaded.

T.Richardson
11-19-2008, 04:16 PM
Once I am on, I don't normally have a problem. However, it gets SO overloaded.

I didnt know NFL.com showed games on there site, I thought it was just like ESPNs Gamecast.

mesaSteeler
11-19-2008, 08:30 PM
NEW — Steelers to be shown on TV throughout region
The Tribune-Democrat
http://www.tribune-democrat.com/sports/local_story_324170359.html

It looks as though all of Johnstown-area Atlantic Broadband customers will be able to watch Thursday's Pittsburgh Steelers game after all.

The NFL said on Wednesday that it had reconsidered its blackout of the game against the Cincinnati Bengals, and would allow it to appear on cable channel 15 – WPCW.

“We decided that since those cable operators regularly carry the affiliate WPCW, it make sense that they carry the game as well,” said Dan Masonson, director of corporate communications for the NFL. “People are used to watching the Steelers on that channel, so the people who get WPCW on a regular, 24-hour-a-day basis, will get the game.”

The 8:15 p.m. game is scheduled for broadcast on the NFL Network, which is only accessible to Atlantic Broadband customers who purchase a higher level of service. That includes only about 35 percent of the cable company’s customers. Pittsburgh station WPCW, which is carried by Atlantic Broadband, will simulcast the game, but the NFL had required that the broadcast be blacked out beyond the Pittsburgh designated market area (DMA). That meant no Steelers in Johnstown and surrounding areas.

On Wednesday, the NFL changed its mind.

“The NFL Network has relinquished the restriction for the blackout, so Atlantic Broadband will now be able to show the game in Altoona, Johnstown, Clearfield and the New Enterprise system,” said Dan Feiertag, general manager of Atlantic Broadband in Johnstown.

“We’re ecstatic,” Feiertag said. “I think it’s great. We have been in communication with the NFL Network to lift the blackout restrictions, and we’re very pleased for our customers outside of the Pittsburgh DMA.”

Feiertag said his company had received a lot of comments about the potential blackout.

“There are many, many Pittsburgh Steelers fans in our markets,” he said. “They’ve been calling and asking ‘What do I have to do to get the game.’ Because the NFL Network is on our digital tier of service, many customers have come to our front counter to pick up digital boxes because they understood the blackout was not going to be lifted.

“We’re very pleased with what has occurred,” Feiertag said. “And, we’re very happy to be able to offer the game

stlrtruck
11-20-2008, 08:05 AM
The NFL is creating a MONOPOLY and the cable giants want in on the action.

Fans get screwed and the rich get richer!!!

CBennett
11-20-2008, 05:28 PM
I am hoping that here in Central PA I will get it since i DONT have NFL Network. but looks like im gonna be OUT OF LUCK!

TeeJay
11-20-2008, 05:46 PM
The Steelers-Cincinnati Bengals game Thursday will be carried on the NFL Network and also, in what is known as the Pittsburgh Steelers Designated Market Area

So, that'll be Worldwide then! :thumbsup::wink02::tt03::tt:

Fixed! :wink02::thumbsup:

SteelCityMan786
11-20-2008, 05:53 PM
I am hoping that here in Central PA I will get it since i DONT have NFL Network. but looks like im gonna be OUT OF LUCK!

If you have Atlantic Broadband or Comcast you're in Good Shape.

revefsreleets
11-20-2008, 06:49 PM
So I'm on NFL.com and Stooge. NFL is straightforward...and I expect net congestion.

What the haps with Stoogetv? It looks like there's a whole lot of nothing...

MasterOfPuppets
11-20-2008, 07:10 PM
i have atlantic but i only get wkla...not wpcw.....:doh:

CBennett
11-20-2008, 07:37 PM
If you have Atlantic Broadband or Comcast you're in Good Shape.

got Comcast and its 100% NOT on any channel..Comcast blows!

jjpro11
11-20-2008, 11:53 PM
i could never be watch a steelers game streamed.. preseason yes.. but regular season absolutely not. i would spend more time cursing at the stream stability than the game itself. its to the sports bar for me every time.