PDA

View Full Version : JETS LOSS REMINDS STEELERS TO BE WARY

mesaSteeler
11-20-2008, 07:19 AM
JETS LOSS REMINDS STEELERS TO BE WARY
http://www.nypost.com/seven/11202008/sports/moresports/jets_loss_reminds_steelers_to_be_wary_139633.htm
By ALAN ROBINSONL, AP

November 20, 2008 --

PITTSBURGH - The Bengals are coming off the NFL's first tie in six years, the Steelers are only a few days removed from the league's first 11-10 game since, well, ever.

With little time for either team to recuperate or prepare, might something curious happen again when AFC North rivals Cincinnati (1-8-1) and Pittsburgh (7-3) play tonight? Like, perhaps, the Bengals actually making a game of it?

The NFL brags anything can happen on any given Sunday, but this is only Thursday, so maybe that's too much to expect.

Maybe not.

Recent history presents a reason for the Steelers to be wary. A year ago this week, Pittsburgh had a 7-2 record before playing another one-win team, the Jets, yet lost 19-16 in overtime.

With the Steelers up by a single game over Baltimore (6-4) in the division, attempting to coast against a team that recently beat Jacksonville and surprised the Eagles by tying them 13-all Sunday might be risky.

"It's a rivalry game and it's a division game, so it means a lot to us in a tight division," left tackle Max Starks said. "Baltimore is not too far behind. You look at last year when we took (the Jets) for granted, and you saw what happened in that game."

The Steelers own the advantage of playing at home for the fourth time in five games, yet they lost there to the Giants (21-14) and Colts (24-20) and went to the final minute before beating San Diego 11-10 Sunday on three field goals by Jeff Reed and a safety.

Despite having a 300-yard passer (Ben Roethlisberger), a 100-yard rusher (Willie Parker) and a 100-yard receiver (Hines Ward), the offense kept getting pushed back by penalties - 115 yards in all - and never reached the end zone. Overall, the Steelers have gone nearly seven quarters without a touchdown.

Steelers & I
11-20-2008, 08:53 AM
This little piece of history bothers me a bit, Thursday October 19th 1995, Cincinnati @ Pittsburgh. I attended this game and believe me, it SUCKED! Talk about a long drive home.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199510190pit.htm

Thursday, October 19, 1995

Cincinnati Bengals 27, Pittsburgh Steelers 9
1 2 3 4 Final
Cincinnati Bengals (3-4-0) 0 10 14 3 27
Pittsburgh Steelers (3-4-0) 0 3 3 3 9

stlrtruck
11-20-2008, 09:12 AM
This little piece of history bothers me a bit, Thursday October 19th 1995, Cincinnati @ Pittsburgh. I attended this game and believe me, it SUCKED! Talk about a long drive home.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199510190pit.htm

Thursday, October 19, 1995

Cincinnati Bengals 27, Pittsburgh Steelers 9
1 2 3 4 Final
Cincinnati Bengals (3-4-0) 0 10 14 3 27
Pittsburgh Steelers (3-4-0) 0 3 3 3 9

History is just that and it only repeats itself if people don't know it.

Well I'm sure people know it, they've already referenced last years game against the Jets. The only History being repeated at Heinz Field tonight is the whoopin' the Steelers are going to put on the bungals.

fansince'76
11-20-2008, 09:14 AM
Last year was last year. :coffee:

X-Terminator
11-20-2008, 09:56 AM
Games like this always make me nervous as hell. This is a team that the Steelers should beat with both hands tied behind their backs and their legs taped together, but there have too many times in the past when they have shit the bed against these teams, including each of the past 2 seasons (Raiders, Jets). And with New England looming, this game has "trap" written all over it. I just hope they don't come out and take this team lightly, or they'll be on the wrong end of an embarrassing loss.

Edman
11-20-2008, 10:16 AM
Didn't they say the same thing before the Jets game last year?

I think this "be wary, be careful, don't take them lightly" attitude is what actually causes the Steelers to play down to inferior competition, and on occasion lose. Meanwhile after losing to said sad sack team, we promptly watch them get their doors blown off the following week.

They suck. Take them lightly. Beat them. That's it.

TackleMeBen
11-20-2008, 10:20 AM
you shouldnt take any team lightly no matter what their record is.

but with this being a divisional game, i am sure that they will be up for it.

steelpride12
11-20-2008, 10:27 AM
Not gonna lie im still nervous about the game.
Sure Chad is out and the team is a disgrace, but thats all the better for them to go out and try. If Ben goes out and is profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfiltery and plays bad throws lets say 2INT's that could cost us the game.
We don't always play good against bad teams, but at least were at home.
With no mistakes and good defense the Steelers will win.

TackleMeBen
11-20-2008, 10:32 AM
Not gonna lie im still nervous about the game.
Sure Chad is out and the team is a disgrace, but thats all the better for them to go out and try. If Ben goes out and is profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfiltery and plays bad throws lets say 2INT's that could cost us the game.
We don't always play good against bad teams, but at least were at home.
With no mistakes and good defense the Steelers will win.
if ben goes out and throws 2 INTs and loses this game, the fans will be calling for his head on a platter. cant we move the game to Cincy.. since he plays better in Ohio???:chuckle:

RoethlisBURGHer
11-20-2008, 11:40 AM
A game against a division rival can never be called a trap game, IMHO.

X-Terminator
11-20-2008, 03:08 PM
A game against a division rival can never be called a trap game, IMHO.

It can be when that division rival is 1-8-1 and your next opponent is the New England Patriots*...

Galax Steeler
11-20-2008, 03:42 PM
We don't need to take them lightley we need to go in and play some good football.

TeeJay
11-20-2008, 06:11 PM
We don't need to take them lightley we need to go in and play some good football.

:tt03:

The D won't take them lightly, they'll take them hard, fast and unrelentingly unstoppable :thumbsup::wink02: I just hope their QB likes the taste of Heinz Field! :wink02:

Just let the D re-watch Houshmanwatsisname disgrace the towel before the game.............that should be enough!