PDA

View Full Version : Do we fall apart down the stretch like we did last year??

Steel_Bus_24
11-21-2008, 07:10 AM
I gotta say Im worried. Not being able to run on the Bengals is pretty bad.

If our Oline doesn't get in gear I don't see us going very far in the playoffs despite our amazing D.

Heck Im not sure we'll hang on to the Division.

Last year I believed Ben could use his magic(See MNF Ravens Game) and still make this O proficient...which he did

This year his shoulder is gimped and he looks gun shy from all the hits.(Though theres a glimmer that hes coming out of it)

So if we can't run the ball against good Teams, and Ben isn't as spot on as he was last year...thats leaving us(Mainly Defense) with little to no margin of error.

And Now throw in this awful punter of ours:mad:.........the Steelers better not be resting on their laurels because they muddled through the 1-9-1 Bengals.......They have some serious retooling to do for this final stretch...

I dunno how they do it, but the attitude has to change in a big way IMO(along the lines of 05)

SCSTILLER
11-21-2008, 07:35 AM
I agree somewhat with you! We play some pretty good teams starting next week. The Brady less Patriots are still a good team, but defense has slowed down. The Cowgirls have some good pass rushers, the Ravens are the Ravens (divisional games are always tricky), and tennessee is hot right now. I thought that if you stopped TN's run, they were done, but Collins looks good. Could be an interesting stretch for us, I see us going 3-1 though, but that all depends on which Steelers offense shows up to the game.

stlrtruck
11-21-2008, 07:46 AM
First of all you've got to look at the field. I'm happy we didn't get stuff at the goal line for a third straight week.

I've got faith in our players that the running game will straighten out as soon as Ben gets back to form. Lately teams have been stuffing the run and asking Ben to throw the ball which the last 4-5 weeks has been nail biting. But now he's starting to get his form back and teams will have to recognize that and when they do the run game will open up.

I think we'll be fine down the stretch so much that by the time we play the ratbirds we'll probably have the division won.

jjpro11
11-21-2008, 08:07 AM
we were a holding call away from beating the giants and one int too many from beating the colts.. we came into the eagles game completely unprepared, yet still had a chance to win in the 4th quarter.

last year we fell apart because of injuries.. if we dont have any season enders, other than marvel smith, we will be a completely different team than last year at this time.

Steelcitygal87
11-21-2008, 08:08 AM
I gotta say Im worried. Not being able to run on the Bengals is pretty bad.

If our Oline doesn't get in gear I don't see us going very far in the playoffs despite our amazing D.

Heck Im not sure we'll hang on to the Division.

Last year I believed Ben could use his magic(See MNF Ravens Game) and still make this O proficient...which he did

This year his shoulder is gimped and he looks gun shy from all the hits.(Though theres a glimmer that hes coming out of it)

So if we can't run the ball against good Teams, and Ben isn't as spot on as he was last year...thats leaving us(Mainly Defense) with little to no margin of error.

And Now throw in this awful punter of ours:mad:.........the Steelers better not be resting on their laurels because they muddled through the 1-9-1 Bengals.......They have some serious retooling to do for this final stretch...

I dunno how they do it, but the attitude has to change in a big way IMO(along the lines of 05)

I have to agree with you. I am worried to. The Bengals did a good job stopping our running game, and this is a defense who isn't anywhere near the top, but to their credit, have been playing very well the last few weeks.

I don't see us going very deep into the playoffs either if the O line doesn't make some vast improvements. Ben didn't get sacked, which I am very thankful for, but like I just mentioned, our running game was poor.

You are right, we have no margin for error. Our D can not be on the field for 60 minutes or they will start to wear down no matter how great they are. They need to be able to REST. Against sub par teams you can maybe get away with not moving the ball as well, and letting the outcome rest mostly on your D. When you play against quality opponents though, you have got to score and keep it going. You can't keep handing them the ball back and expect to win.

And that horrid punter was making me cry and throw things at the tv at the same time:mad:.just torture watching him punt. Think about it, that was against the Bengals...could you imagine against the good teams we are going to be playing down the stretch... giving them that kind of field p. what they would do with it??? :banging:

GO STEELERS!!!!:tt03::tt03::tt03:

slippy
11-21-2008, 09:16 AM
guys, that was a sleepwalk win for us. we fell asleep last year at the jets and lost.

jjpro11
11-21-2008, 09:26 AM
guys, that was a sleepwalk win for us. we fell asleep last year at the jets and lost.

the 1st quarter they were sleep walking.. the rest of the game they played good football.

TackleMeBen
11-21-2008, 09:30 AM
the 1st quarter they were sleep walking.. the rest of the game they played good football.
unfortunely they cant sleep walk in the 1st quarter with the games we have remaining. they need to come out and be firing.. but to the question at hand. no i dont think we will fall apart like we did last year. we have seen that we dont need ben to be the hero and throw deep balls to make plays or keep the chains moving. take the short pass if its there, just keep the chains moving and score... no more getting stuffed at the goalline.... and definately make sure the players know what the rule is if there is a tie:chuckle:(sorry, i couldnt resist)

Edman
11-21-2008, 09:41 AM
No we don't.

Critical Injuries to key players on the Defense did the Steelers in last year. This year we have a healthy Aaron Smith, a healthy Polamalu in 2004-2005 form, and we didn't have Lamar Woodley.

We lost Willie Parker last year and the running game went with him. This year we have Moore and Russell. Wish Mendenhall didn't get hurt, then I'd really like our chances.

TackleMeBen
11-21-2008, 09:44 AM
No we don't.
Wish Mendenhall didn't get hurt, then I'd really like our chances.
you can thank good old ray lewis for that :wink02:

X-Terminator
11-21-2008, 10:02 AM
We'll be fine.

fansince'76
11-21-2008, 10:31 AM
No, not worried. We're a couple bad bounces away from being 10-1 right now. We can hang with anybody.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-21-2008, 10:31 AM
I hope we go all the way, but my gut feeling from this past summer training camp is that we will put up good offensive numbers all year (I was wrong). Then in the playoffs the lack of a short yardage running game will be the achilles heel.

We will see I guess.

steelpride12
11-21-2008, 10:36 AM
This season will b nothing of like last season due to the fact is last season down the stretch our defense fell apart not our offense. I don't see any of the defense falling apart which gives us a huge advantage since it's been 11 straight games without giving up 300 total yards of offense.

The Steelers managed on offense last night. Sure they didn't run well, but they did on that last drive for sure and Ben came out played well and threw and ran for a TD. We had offense tonight.

We will need better performance to beat teams like Dallas and the Pats, but im not worried about any of that. 2 game lead over the Ratbirds and 4-0 in the division bolds pretty well for us.

steelreserve
11-21-2008, 10:41 AM
OMG the sky is falling, huh?

No, really, as long as Ben keeps a clear head and doesn't do his Brett Favre impression -- by which I mean the ill-advised-scrambling, forcing-bad-passes Brett Favre from 2-3 years ago -- we'll be fine.

Fire Haley
11-22-2008, 09:34 AM
We are a speed and finesse passing team now - with a speed defense that relies on the rush from the edges.

Should have installed field turf, a slow track, cow-pasture of a field only helps the enemies.

Better hope it stays frozen the rest of the way and doesn't rain.

LVSteelersfan
11-22-2008, 11:50 AM
I am seriously hoping we can beat those Patsies in the next game, but I don't think the defense we run will work against the Patsies. Cassell is good at escaping up the middle and picking up huge yards which is our Achilles heel. He will get rid of the ball quickly and dink and dunk it down the field. I hope Lebeau does not play the defense the way he usually does or the Patsies will dink and dunk us to death. Ben better have a good game because I suspect we will not be able to run on the Patsies. I hate Bellicheat but he always seems to have a pretty good game plan against our very predictable offense. We need to be unpredictable or we will not come out with a win.

OneForTheToe
11-22-2008, 02:19 PM
We are a speed and finesse passing team now - with a speed defense that relies on the rush from the edges.

Should have installed field turf, a slow track, cow-pasture of a field only helps the enemies.

Better hope it stays frozen the rest of the way and doesn't rain.

Yep, that Casey Hampton is a speedster.:wink02:

Last year smash-t year. Remember our schedule at the beginning of last year was pretty easy. We probably were not as good as we thought we were. Couple that with the loss of Parker and Smith and we fell off at the end of last year. Of course, we were a holding penalty not called away from winning a playoff game (not cryhawking, just pointing out that in spite of things we almost moved on last year).

Finally, some here seem to think this is the BCS. The NFL is not a beauty pageant. There will be no swimsuit competition (a good thing for Casey:wink02:). All that matters is wins and looses, not how well you pine for world peace through botox enhanced lips . A win is a win.

Fire Haley
11-22-2008, 06:19 PM
Yep, that Casey Hampton is a speedster.:wink02:.

WTF???

Our speed rush comes from the outside - try and follow along.

A fast field will only enhance our speed rushers.

doofus.

OneForTheToe
11-22-2008, 06:45 PM
WTF???

Our speed rush comes from the outside - try and follow along.

A fast field will only enhance our speed rushers.

doofus.

doofus, really that is what you are going to call me? Wow, way to stay classy. I guess an earlier bedtime on school nights is in order.

I can read just fine, thanks.

This is a forum for different opinions. If you can't take a little jab with a :wink02: (which I guess you missed), I'll start the countdown clock until your inevitable blow-up with one of our more volatile members.