PDA

View Full Version : A well called game by Arians.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-21-2008, 11:55 AM
Calling all haters!! Come on now, you gotta give BA some credit for that game last night.

Using McHugh as a FB in the I formation was a good move. He took his shots downfield to back off the safetys, he called some timely screen passes to slow down the rush and blitz. He even had some quick slants to nullify the blitz and beat the press coverage.

I personally dont like Arians offensive system, but love his double pulling leads that use the OG and Heath Miller to lead for the RB :thumbsup: (see the first play of the game). You have to give credit where due and he called a good game.

Or you can just say the players "executed" for a change and keep on hatin'.

stlrtruck
11-21-2008, 12:35 PM
What? Give Arians credit? That was all Ben

(seriously we need a sarcasm smiley)

Sharkissle29
11-21-2008, 12:37 PM
i cant believe i saw a screen pass last night...

fansince'76
11-21-2008, 12:46 PM
i cant believe i saw a screen pass last night...

Not only that, a screen that didn't get blown up for no gain. :thumbsup:

steelpride12
11-21-2008, 12:48 PM
The Arians hater's will be heard all season regardless. Ive always liked his play calling, yes some were shady, but the man knows what he is doing that why we brought him in the first place.

Steelers & I
11-21-2008, 01:00 PM
Calling all haters!! Come on now, you gotta give BA some credit for that game last night.

Using McHugh as a FB in the I formation was a good move. He took his shots downfield to back off the safetys, he called some timely screen passes to slow down the rush and blitz. He even had some quick slants to nullify the blitz and beat the press coverage.

I personally dont like Arians offensive system, but love his double pulling leads that use the OG and Heath Miller to lead for the RB :thumbsup: (see the first play of the game). You have to give credit where due and he called a good game.

I'm a hater and I said LAST week that I liked some of the CHANGES that Arians made to the play DESIGNS and CALLS. I promised to lay off of him last week and I did. As for the "execution" refererence, sorry man, that word was used as an excuse by the Arians supporters, they typically blamed the failures of the offense on the lack of "execution" by the players.

The game last night showed FURTHER evidence of the CHANGES, changes that I will speak of later in this reply. Utilizing a FB in the running game, MORE running plays from the I-Formation, shorter WR routes which enable Roethlisberger to get rid of the ball without taking sacks, the calling of more screen plays, and the calling of RUNNING PLAYS on those 3rd and short situations. Bravo Bruce Arians, keep it up man!

Now this last bit goes out to ANYONE who wants to "call out the Bruce Arians haters".
I would find it to be absolutely hilarious if long-time Arians supporters attempt to call out long-time Arians haters based on the Steelers 2 game streak of efficiently run offensive football.

Arians supporters, go ahead and call out the haters if you feel the need to but I would suggest that you first check the archive threads on the topic and REALIZE THIS: Over the past 2 games, Arians is doing PRECISELY what the haters have been calling for him to do ALL DAMN SEASON! "shorter WR routes", "the use of a FB", "calling screen plays", and "running the ball on 3rd and short as opposed to passing".

Now supporters, swallow your pride and ADMIT that the haters have been right ALL ALONG! I'm still not sold on Arians and probably never will be but at least for another week, I'll lay off the man.

X-Terminator
11-21-2008, 01:02 PM
I will certainly give BA credit for calling a good game last night. He mixed things up nicely and finally realized that having a lead blocker or using the FB dive play on short-yardage might be effective. And it was nice to see a screen pass that actually worked for a change.

But he will get no credit from the tried-and-true haters.

drizze99
11-21-2008, 01:11 PM
I'm a hater and I said LAST week that I liked some of the CHANGES that Arians made to the play DESIGNS and CALLS. I promised to lay off of him last week and I did. As for the "execution" refererence, sorry man, that word was used as an excuse by the Arians supporters, they typically blamed the failures of the offense on the lack of "execution" by the players.

The game last night showed FURTHER evidence of the CHANGES, changes that I will speak of later in this reply. Utilizing a FB in the running game, MORE running plays from the I-Formation, shorter WR routes which enable Roethlisberger to get rid of the ball without taking sacks, the calling of more screen plays, and the calling of RUNNING PLAYS on those 3rd and short situations. Bravo Bruce Arians, keep it up man!

Now this last bit goes out to ANYONE who wants to "call out the Bruce Arians haters".
I would find it to be absolutely hilarious if long-time Arians supporters attempt to call out long-time Arians haters based on the Steelers 2 game streak of efficiently run offensive football.

Arians supporters, go ahead and call out the haters if you feel the need to but I would suggest that you first check the archive threads on the topic and REALIZE THIS: Over the past 2 games, Arians is doing PRECISELY what the haters have been calling for him to do ALL DAMN SEASON! "shorter WR routes", "the use of a FB", "calling screen plays", and "running the ball on 3rd and short as opposed to passing".

Now supporters, swallow your pride and ADMIT that the haters have been right ALL ALONG! I'm still not sold on Arians and probably never will be but at least for another week, I'll lay off the man.

Great post!

I still hate the guy but what I have been screaming for has finally started to happen. I still don't understand why we can't make halftime adjustments. (I am still pissed about the Philly game)

Dino 6 Rings
11-21-2008, 01:12 PM
my favorite play was the run by Russell near the goal line where he went outside. that was a nice change.

Dino 6 Rings
11-21-2008, 01:16 PM
Also, I would like to Recognize the Old Ben, the one that when things broke down and nothing was open, actually RAN THE BALL for positive yardage.

Big Fan of that Ben.

TerribleSteelyMcBeam
11-21-2008, 01:24 PM
props to bruce, he mixed it up and showed poise throughout the game.

pittsburghp8baller
11-21-2008, 01:37 PM
Also, I would like to Recognize the Old Ben, the one that when things broke down and nothing was open, actually RAN THE BALL for positive yardage.

Big Fan of that Ben.

im a HUGE fan of that Ben

bradness113
11-21-2008, 01:38 PM
it was a well called game, by ben (who prob called 75% of the plays like last game).

it was nice to see Heath getting the ball alot, and seeing ben run was a nice sight too

drizze99
11-21-2008, 01:42 PM

Big Fan of that Ben.

Big +1

I miss that Ben... I hope he is back to stay...

Leftoverhard
11-21-2008, 01:47 PM
Patience was important here. I thought the play calling yesterday was great - it seemed like a real well-oiled machine for our super-talented team to display their teamwork ability.

revefsreleets
11-21-2008, 01:57 PM
So, wait a second. Let me get this straight.

The people on this board called for the changes to the offense, so that's why Arians game plans were better?

Oh boy...

DACEB
11-21-2008, 02:33 PM

I am a true Arians hater!!! But your absolutely right, he's getting better. He's obviously read my sig! LOL

Unlike you Gonzo, I actually like the system. I just don't think Arians makes good adjustments, and he runs random plays without ever setting anything up. I like the bunch formations, but not as 70% of the offense and not when it's obvious what we will attempt to do out of it.

The playcalling has been better, and it shows thru the simple fact that the hounds have backed off some. I would still like to see him gameplan and adjust to a teams weaknesses. Far too often something is working and he goes away from it. Far too many empty backfield sets. Sending FWP in motion out to the slot works for me in Madden, but c'mon. Isn't our QB still on the mend, do we have to show them it's a pass?

All the plays we like now are/were in 'the system', Arians just didn't know what they were for.

He mixed things up nicely and finally realized that having a lead blocker or using the FB dive play on short-yardage might be effective. And it was nice to see a screen pass that actually worked for a change..

Do you think it's possible Arians read our posts calling for the FB dive? I know that was the first thing I thought of. Great timed call!

But he will get no credit from the tried-and-true haters.

O.K., I'll give him an ounce of credit.

DACEB
11-21-2008, 02:39 PM

Great post alltogether!!!

DACEB
11-21-2008, 02:41 PM

The people on this board called for the changes to the offense, so that's why Arians game plans were better?

Oh boy...

Well, I hate to pat myself on the back, but....:flap:

Steelers & I
11-21-2008, 03:21 PM

Oh boy...

Oh boy? Is that it? No one said that the people on this board are taking credit for the changes in the offensive gameplan. We're only saying that the members who were SMART ENOUGH to IDENTIFY the problems with the offense, WE'RE RIGHT ALL ALONG!

And although we were HEAVILY CRITICIZED by members such as YOURSELF, we stood our ground on the topic and ULTIMATELY everyone IS NOW seeing that those NECESSARY ADJUSTMENTS, that WE called for all along, are now being incorporated into the Steelers offensive gameplan.

Is that saying that Arians took our advice? NO, that's your far-fetched take on it. All it says is that some members have better problem solving skills than others.

Read the archive posts man and tell me that some of us didn't call for the EXACT changes in the Steelers offense that you've seen for the past 2 weeks. And while your at it, tell me that you didn't tell us that we "didn't know what we were talking about". You blamed the problems purely on lack of execution and poor offensive line play.

Well, that offensive line hasn't looked too bad the past couple of weeks. It's funny how that works, huh? If a game plan doesn't require that "average offensive linemen" hold their blocks for 7 or 8 seconds, and in the midst of a blitz 50% of the time, then they seem to execute better.

I as an Arians basher am happy with how the "current offensive game plan" is evolving so I'll lay off of him for now. You as an Arians supporter, come off as if you're angry. Could that be because you were wrong all along?

Steelers & I
11-21-2008, 03:23 PM
Well, I hate to pat myself on the back, but....:flap:

LMAO Dude! Great! :toofunny:

X-Terminator
11-21-2008, 03:30 PM
Do you think it's possible Arians read our posts calling for the FB dive? I know that was the first thing I thought of. Great timed call!

O.K., I'll give him an ounce of credit.

I was not one who constantly bashed Arians, but I was fed up with him after the Colts game. Whatever he did, it was nice to see him making the right calls in the right situations, which is all anyone can really ask for. He has made a lot of boneheaded play calls this season that deserved criticism, but I'm not one who immediately calls for someone to be fired/cut when he screws up and gives him a chance to redeem himself.

Steelers & I
11-21-2008, 04:16 PM
Great post alltogether!!!

Thanks man, by the way, what system do you play your Madden on? I'm on the PS3, SmashMouthPlayer, look me up for a game.

steelpride12
11-21-2008, 04:16 PM
Thanks man, by the way, what system do you play your Madden on? I'm on the PS3, SmashMouthPlayer, look me up for a game.

Keep this in the gamer chat section please.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-21-2008, 04:49 PM

Dude....I wasnt calling anybody out. The last line of my OP was just a reaffirmation that haters...hate and supporters....slather praise excessively. I am neither, but somewhere in between as not everything is always black or white..........but sometimes grey.

I loved seeing a real FB and some screen passes though.

Preacher
11-21-2008, 04:56 PM
I can't give him too much credit... for changing. I think he called the same type of game.

Now before you all call me a hater... follow my reasoning, and it will make sense.

I think this was the NORMAL type of game Arians WANTS to call. So I am not going to make a big deal out of it. It was great to watch though.

What I think has happened, is that we now have a line that has settled in enough that they are giving Ben some good pass protection, at least against the Bungles. When Ben has time, he is able to do a couple things (as planned by Arians and Ben together, as Ben has said repeatedly). That sets up the plays that Arians wants to call to go for the jugular on drives.

For instance. I was SCREAMING, "Why are we running to the left on almost EVERY first down play?"

Answer, because they were setting up a DEEP thrown to Santo in the third quarter for a quick 6 on a first down play action (running yes, to the left). Sadly, I think Ben's shoulder held him back from putting the ball where it needed to go. You have to have some time to make that play happen. If the line doesn't give Ben the time, then that throw doesn't happen. If that throw doesn't happen, I am in here today wondering why Arians ran the ball to the left all night on first down and have no idea that his O line prevented him from calling the long ball, because he would be protecting Ben from another sack.

That is one example.

The screens are another. I think we saw more screens because his line was able to block better, so the D had to send more people. That allows the screen to be called, without LB's and DL'men sitting back for the screen.

Now that our line is playing a bit better, Ben is getting a bit healthier, and our TE's are coming back strong, I think we all will start to understand Arians playcalling a lot better.

So yes, it was a well called game for Arians, but I am starting to think, it really wasn't out of the ordinary for him. Execution of his game plan is what showed us how is game plan IS SUPPOSED TO WORK EVERY GAME.

Hamer
11-21-2008, 05:12 PM
Very very happy to see the return of the fullback position, not to mention running on 3rd and short.

I wonder though- how much Tomlin had to do with those changes instead of Arians or Ben.

Steelers & I
11-21-2008, 05:26 PM
I can't give him too much credit... for changing. I think he called the same type of game.

Now before you all call me a hater... follow my reasoning, and it will make sense.

I think this was the NORMAL type of game Arians WANTS to call. So I am not going to make a big deal out of it. It was great to watch though.

What I think has happened, is that we now have a line that has settled in enough that they are giving Ben some good pass protection, at least against the Bungles. When Ben has time, he is able to do a couple things (as planned by Arians and Ben together, as Ben has said repeatedly). That sets up the plays that Arians wants to call to go for the jugular on drives.

For instance. I was SCREAMING, "Why are we running to the left on almost EVERY first down play?"

Answer, because they were setting up a DEEP thrown to Santo in the third quarter for a quick 6 on a first down play action (running yes, to the left). Sadly, I think Ben's shoulder held him back from putting the ball where it needed to go. You have to have some time to make that play happen. If the line doesn't give Ben the time, then that throw doesn't happen. If that throw doesn't happen, I am in here today wondering why Arians ran the ball to the left all night on first down and have no idea that his O line prevented him from calling the long ball, because he would be protecting Ben from another sack.

That is one example.

The screens are another. I think we saw more screens because his line was able to block better, so the D had to send more people. That allows the screen to be called, without LB's and DL'men sitting back for the screen.

Now that our line is playing a bit better, Ben is getting a bit healthier, and our TE's are coming back strong, I think we all will start to understand Arians playcalling a lot better.

So yes, it was a well called game for Arians, but I am starting to think, it really wasn't out of the ordinary for him. Execution of his game plan is what showed us how is game plan IS SUPPOSED TO WORK EVERY GAME.

Execution is key, yes indeed, but I disagree with your insinuation that the last two offensive game plans have been status quo with what we've seen all season. I've seen changes in the past two weeks that allow for the players, specifically the offensive line, "to execute within their means".

For nearly half of this season, Arians play designs and play calls have required that an AVERAGE group of offensive linemen "execute far beyond their means". I truly do see the adjustments in the game plan. I just can't credit the two game-efficient like effort by the offense to the "players better executing the gameplan".

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-21-2008, 05:31 PM
I dont think this was the NORMAL game Arians WANTS to call.

He doesnt normally want a 250lb guy in the backfield as a lead blocker and I dont normally see him call many screen passes. I think they sat down and looked at what went wrong the past few weeks and tried some new things.

Hey Preacher.......did you see Stapleton get steamrolled by Peko around 2:45 min into the 3rd quarter? To his credit, there was no sack, but thats the kind of "lack of leverage" that I dont like from him. The kid needs more time in the gym.

Steelers & I
11-21-2008, 06:09 PM
Keep this in the gamer chat section please.

Yes Sir!

mdimart28
11-21-2008, 06:37 PM
Hello everyone, this is my first post but I have been a life long steelers fan.
The reason I am posting this is because I really do believe that Arians could cost us our season with his formation and play calling. Let me elaberate:
Anyone watching the Cincy game last night will notice that we put 14 points on the board fairly easily on the two drives where we used the I formation and strong I formation. We ran creatively and gained 3 to 7 yards a pop on most plays, with the one for a loss was when the fullback missed a block. We ran a couple of good screens and a couple of play actions mixed in. This is traditional steeler football and it seems to fit the personel we have great.
After scoring like that the first time we went back to our single back sets and did nothing, not suprising. Then we went back to traditional steeler footbal and scored easily again.
What I am saying is that we scrounged to put up 13 points running arians single back-two TE and single back Trips bunch sets and couldnt run the ball. We were getting runs of .5, 1, or 2 yards when constantly running the single back garbage and faired much better in the more traditional I forms. I dont understand why Arians continues to run all these formations that dont put points on the board. Our backs need the blocking fullback to gain yardage and our offense runs much better because it seems to suite our personel better. Yet Arians want to be a hard head and try to make us fling it all over the field with linemen that cant pass block all that well. Im not saying to always run the I formation, but to use it on a much more regular basis. More as our base set. Then sprinkle in a few single back sets that he likes. His play calling and formations just dont get the job done, but every once in awhile he calls a good series or two and then abandons it. Yes, the steelers are 8-3, but it is due to their defense, not there offensive fire power. I wish arians would understand what his men are capable of and call the plays accordingly. Otherwise, he will cost us when we cant run in the playoffs. Our offense has been inconsistant all year running his "spread offense and fling it all over the field" all the time. It has driven me mad. I cant remember a year where I was so frustrated watching my guys win, ever. Your thoughts

Preacher
11-21-2008, 08:21 PM
I dont think this was the NORMAL game Arians WANTS to call.

He doesnt normally want a 250lb guy in the backfield as a lead blocker and I dont normally see him call many screen passes. I think they sat down and looked at what went wrong the past few weeks and tried some new things.

Hey Preacher.......did you see Stapleton get steamrolled by Peko around 2:45 min into the 3rd quarter? To his credit, there was no sack, but thats the kind of "lack of leverage" that I dont like from him. The kid needs more time in the gym.

I saw that... and noticed two specific things. 1. He has the wherewithal to bring the guy down with him. He may need some more strength, but he has a lot of instinct and some skill to pull a veteran move there. 2. I also saw him take out some people on the run plays.

Lineman can ALWAYS use some time in the gym. But I am coming to the point where I believe that Stapleton, with some work, can be another diamond in the rough for us.

Rick5895
11-21-2008, 08:27 PM
Arians play calling is all over the map, he doesn't seem to have a plan. Running on every 1st down is too obvious for the defense, spread with no RB inside the 20 on first down is ridiculas. He seems to search for big plays and I am sure ben calls some of his own. He did a better job against SD but was too predictable ion the red zone.

DACEB
11-21-2008, 08:34 PM
I loved seeing a real FB and some screen passes though.

I'm still waiting for a decent RB screen, which we all know we ran so well...... ahh, good times..good times.

The TE screen to Heath was great, and well executed.

DACEB
11-21-2008, 08:40 PM
I saw that... and noticed two specific things. 1. He has the wherewithal to bring the guy down with him. He may need some more strength, but he has a lot of instinct and some skill to pull a veteran move there. 2. I also saw him take out some people on the run plays.

Lineman can ALWAYS use some time in the gym. But I am coming to the point where I believe that Stapleton, with some work, can be another diamond in the rough for us.

I liked this kid from the beginning. The instincts and savvy is what I noticed from the start. It's not about brute strength with this kid, so when he does get stronger he'll be a shutdown type player, IMO.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-21-2008, 10:15 PM
He has the wherewithal to bring the guy down with him. .

:rofl:

Peko clubbed him really good and ran over him so fast that he fell. Great wherewithall :chuckle: Stapleton doesnt maintain a strong base and if you look more closely, he gets pushed back often like Mahan did last year.

I like him and think he is doing a good job as a backup, but am not ready to anoint him as somebody to realistically start next season that will make our line better. IMO, Colon would be a better guard and even if we draft Alex Mack at center, Hartwig can slide over to guard to be an improvement.

Stapleton reminds me of a much smaller and lighter Keydrick Vincent. A guy that can plug in and play serviceably, but really doesnt show the strong game to be a valuable starter.

Steeldude
11-21-2008, 10:58 PM
does anyone know how many times the steelers were in 3rd and long situations?

MJ5150
11-22-2008, 08:31 AM
OK, so he pushed the right buttons against the Bengals. Good for him. I still do not like his approach with this team.

-Mike

stillers4me
11-22-2008, 12:01 PM
I'm taking a wait and see perspective. It WAS the Bengals.

Kudos to every player that stepped up to make sure we didn't become the next Jags or Eagles.

SteelMember
11-24-2008, 10:13 AM
Having Heath Miller back sure helps. I'm sure everyone, including myself, loves to yell Heeeeeath after a big catch, but his blocking helps this offense more than one may think.

markymarc
11-25-2008, 01:54 PM
Arians is 2 for 2 the past two weeks. He has called 2 very good games against the Bolts and Bungles. The big question is can he keep it going. With his history I say it won't happen. I don't care how well we do in the playoffs Arians must be terminated in the off season. Yes the OL has something to do with it and injuries, but you don't go from being very explosive to lethargic the next season without the OC taking most of the blame. I just think Arians is bad for this offense especially considering all of the talent we have. Also if you dump Arians then just maybe we can bring back a real FB. Although I do like what McHugh brings to the table.