PDA

View Full Version : Steelers have no problem with WR hit

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-22-2008, 09:45 AM
Steelers have no problem with WR hit
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, November 22, 2008

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said he didn't have a problem with the hit that knocked Santonio Holmes out of Thursday night's game with a concussion.

Cincinnati Bengals safety Chris Crocker drilled Holmes after the Steelers' wide receiver caught a 6-yard pass from Roethlisberger on a slant pattern. Holmes held onto the ball but staggered after getting up, and the Steelers held him out of the rest of the game.

"I don't think it was dirty," Roethlisberger said after the Steelers' 27-10 win. "It was a good, solid hit. I told (my teammates) not to retaliate on him."

There had been a question heading into the game as to whether the Bengals would retaliate for a Hines Ward hit last month that broke Keith Rivers' jaw and ended the rookie linebacker's season.

Crocker's third-quarter hit on Holmes will be reviewed by the NFL and could lead to a fine, but Ward said it was "clean."

"That's just the violence of the game," Ward said. "The guy read it right and made a huge hit on Santonio."

Holmes, who caught five passes for 84 yards against the Bengals, is expected to be OK for the Steelers' Nov. 30 game against the New England Patriots.

Walking wounded

The Steelers are hoping to get good news following a long weekend about two other key players who left Thursday night's game with injuries.

Coach Mike Tomlin said he thought Willie Parker just "tweaked" his knee, which caused the running back to leave the game in the third quarter. The concern is that Parker missed four games earlier this season because of a sprained medial collateral ligament in the same knee.

More worrisome may be the knee injury that knocked starting defensive end Brett Keisel out of the game.

"When somebody is on the ground and they are checking out their knee, that is not a good thing," Tomlin said. "We will see where he is when we get a chance to test it."

The players were off Friday and don't have to return to the team's South Side facility until Tuesday.

"We kind of need the rest to get our legs back underneath us," defensive end Aaron Smith said.

Miller time

The sprained ankle that sidelined Heath Miller for two games didn't hamper the tight end Thursday night.

Miller caught four passes for 44 yards and a touchdown.

"It felt good," Miller said of the right ankle he sprained in the Steelers' 23-6 win over the Washington Redskins on Nov. 3. "As far as I'm concerned, it's a thing of the past, and I'm moving forward."

Beating the rush

The Bengals used short drops by quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick and a quick passing attack to slow down the Steelers' rush.

They also may have provided a blueprint for opposing teams since the Steelers sacked Fitzpatrick just once Thursday night after dropping him seven times when the AFC North rivals met Oct. 19.

"I didn't like that too much," outside linebacker James Harrison said of Cincinnati's strategy. "I'm sure we're going to see that (again). That's the way to combat the rush."

What could have been

The Steelers are 8-3 and will be at least a game ahead of the Baltimore Ravens in the AFC North after this week.

Strong safety Troy Polamalu, however, couldn't help but wonder where the Steelers might be had they not lost tough games to the New York Giants and Indianapolis Colts.

"We feel like we should have been better at this time," said Polamalu who's tied for the NFL lead in interceptions with five.

But normally reserved Polamalu seemed excited about where the Steelers are in another sense.

"People don't like to play against us because we play kind of ugly, rough, physical," Polamalu said. "It's just the personality of this city, the personality of this team. It's just so blue-collar. That New York, Los Angeles, Hollywood mentality is not within us, and we like that."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_599626.html

Steel_Bus_24
11-22-2008, 10:14 AM
Beating the rush

The Bengals used short drops by quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick and a quick passing attack to slow down the Steelers' rush.

They also may have provided a blueprint for opposing teams since the Steelers sacked Fitzpatrick just once Thursday night after dropping him seven times when the AFC North rivals met Oct. 19.

"I didn't like that too much," outside linebacker James Harrison said of Cincinnati's strategy. "I'm sure we're going to see that (again). That's the way to combat the rush."

Of course you will........thats why we have such a horrible record against the "cheats".

NE and Romo are going to give them way more trouble...Our O better be able to step up and help out

stillers4me
11-22-2008, 10:57 AM
"People don't like to play against us because we play kind of ugly, rough, physical," Polamalu said. "It's just the personality of this city, the personality of this team. It's just so blue-collar. That New York, Los Angeles, Hollywood mentality is not within us, and we like that."

:sofunny: I can't help but see Jack Lambert smiling through his gums at that.

Edman
11-22-2008, 11:08 AM
Isn't a short quick passing attack a good strategy to beat any blitzing defense? Don't know why this surprises anyone. We'll see it again, definately. The Patriots have been beating our defense with that crap for years.

It's not the short passing attack that scares me, it's the fact that we've had a hard time adjusting to it and playing against it. You know that play Thursday when it looked like Ryan Clark just stood there and let the Bengal player run around him? That's why we've sucked against the Pats. Poor pursuit on the short pass.

fansince'76
11-22-2008, 11:10 AM
Beating the rush

Of course you will........thats why we have such a horrible record against the "cheats".

I think it has more to do with turnovers - we have historically had at least 3-4 a game against them and they usually wind up with zero. Taking care of the ball is the most important thing.

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
11-22-2008, 11:28 AM
What worries me more than anything is that for being the #1 defense in the league, I saw some horrible arm tackling and whiffed tackles during the last game.

LVSteelersfan
11-22-2008, 11:41 AM
I honestly don't think we can beat the Pats with our standard defense. They will dink and dunk it to death. I hope that Lebeau has enough sense to keep people back in pass coverage and not try to crunch the QB with Woodley and Harrison on every play. Cassell will have a field day running the ball if we play that way. He is pretty good at running it up the middle when the LBs attack from the outside.

lilyoder6
11-22-2008, 11:49 AM
we alrdy know that they are gonna do that with welker.. i see welker having a shit load of catchtes that are gonna be under 10 yrds...

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-22-2008, 12:05 PM
I honestly don't think we can beat the Pats with our standard defense. They will dink and dunk it to death. I hope that Lebeau has enough sense to keep people back in pass coverage and not try to crunch the QB with Woodley and Harrison on every play. Cassell will have a field day running the ball if we play that way. He is pretty good at running it up the middle when the LBs attack from the outside.

The Jets beat the Patriots with their Defense.......why cant the Steelers???

LeBeau can still blitz, have the CB's play press coverage to take away the quick pass and still keep Clark over the top on the side of Randy Moss to take away the long pass. The bubble screen's to the WR can hurt us, but the Pats are no Juggernaut offense.

Dizzle43
11-22-2008, 01:06 PM
The "cheaters" won't have to change their offense one bit when they play us. Yes the Bengals did a smart thing by having short drops and getting the ball out quick. That allowed us to only get one sack. On the other hand they did not get many yards.

I'm sure Lebeau will make adjustments for the Patriots defense. They throw 5 yard routes, run WR screens, and occasionally go deep to Moss. We will also have to keep Foote or Farrior about 5 yards from the line of scrimmage to make sure Cassell doesn't take off running like he has done in the past.

SunshineMan21
11-22-2008, 02:27 PM
The Jets definitely didn't beat the Pats with their defense . . . Cassel threw for 400 yards against them and rushed for another 60. The Jets' defense got manhandled, including giving up a game-tying fourth quarter scoring drive.

As for the hit, it was a good, clean hit, just like Hines' hit. It shouldn't be a fine.

NYC SteelersFan
11-22-2008, 03:14 PM
The Jets beat the Patriots with their Defense.......why cant the Steelers???

LeBeau can still blitz, have the CB's play press coverage to take away the quick pass and still keep Clark over the top on the side of Randy Moss to take away the long pass. The bubble screen's to the WR can hurt us, but the Pats are no Juggernaut offense.

The Jets beat the Patriots overall, not just with their defense, and if we can't do the same then I don't even want to bother seeing us in the playoffs. If it's a Giants or Colts type loss, whatever, I'll be annoyed and chalk it up as bad play+bad luck that could go differently if we play them again but if the Patriots beat us straight up and bad then something is too wrong with this team to survive the playoffs. I don't care what Cassel has done, it's still his first year and Steelers defense should put the fear of hell into him and make him pay.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-22-2008, 03:19 PM
OH NO.....The Sky is Falling!!!! Steelers are ONLY 8-3, the Juggernaugt Patriots Offense, in Foxboro.

Man, its gonna be a long week of worrying and I cant understand why :noidea:

RESPECT EVERYBODY........FEAR NOBODY!!

Preacher
11-22-2008, 03:28 PM
OH NO.....The Sky is Falling!!!! Steelers are ONLY 8-3, the Juggernaugt Patriots Offense, in Foxboro.

:chuckle:

Yep.

No reason to play the game. We will lose.

T&B fan
11-22-2008, 04:00 PM
:chuckle:

Yep.

No reason to play the game. We will lose.
:tt03::iagree: lets just stay home
oh no we have to play the Pats oh may :blah::blah::blah:
:sign11:

steelreserve
11-22-2008, 05:59 PM
Beating the rush

NE and Romo are going to give them way more trouble...Our O better be able to step up and help out

I'm not as worried about that against NE this year. Brady is an expert in the quick 5-yard dump-off that gets around the rush, but I doubt Cassell can do as well because he's mostly just a homo.

As for the hit on Holmes, yeah, it sucks that he got hurt, but mostly it was just unlucky. Since I don't consider myself a whiny bitch, I'm not going to complain and demand a fine, because it's just one of those things that happens every so often if you're not playing two-hand touch.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
11-22-2008, 06:12 PM
Thats because they are the steelers... You know any other team would have something to say...

I think it was a clean hit.

steel striker
11-22-2008, 08:29 PM
Here is my take on this if we can't beat the cheats without Brady we don't deserve to be in the playoffs.

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
11-22-2008, 11:07 PM
Here is my take on this if we can't beat the cheats without Sony we don't deserve to be in the playoffs.

Couldn't agree more!

Steelman16
11-22-2008, 11:14 PM
I guess nobody else got the feeling LeBeau was playing a softer defense in preperation for the Pats*?

The Jets defense is overrated. We'll see more zone, occasionally dialing up a blitz in key situations. I doubt LeBeau will throw the kitchen sink at Cassel (though I wish he would).

The defense is the last thing I'm worried about though.

SunshineMan21
11-23-2008, 12:46 AM

That isn't what I said.

You stated that the Jets beat the Patriots with their defense. I disagree, and I think just about anyone else who watched the game would agree with me. Don't put words in my mouth.

I happen to think we will beat the Patriots, but they're a well-coached team who have the personnel to play the dink and dunk style offense which could give us problems.

Again, I think we will win, but don't underestimate Matt Cassell. He's not Tom Brady, but he's also not Ryan Fitzpatrick.