PDA

View Full Version : Last Meaningful Game Of Year?

Atlanta Dan
12-10-2005, 09:02 AM
The most important game of the season was last Sunday's loss to the Bengals. With that loss any real possibility of a home playoff game, let alone a first round bye, went out the window. Someday some wildcard team is going to win three road playoff games to get to the Super Bowl (just as the Red Sox came back from a 3-0 deficit on the Yankees last year), but I wouldn't count on it happening this year.

That having been said, the season is not yet over. However, if the Steelers lose tomorrow and go to 7-6, I believe any playoff hopes will no longer be realistic. So as I watch tomorrow, it will be with the anxiety that with a loss it will be the last meaningful game of the year.

Too pessimistic or cold reality?

SteelCityMan786
12-10-2005, 09:58 AM
The most important game of the season was last Sunday's loss to the Bengals. With that loss any real possibility of a home playoff game, let alone a first round bye, went out the window. Someday some wildcard team is going to win three road playoff games to get to the Super Bowl (just as the Red Sox came back from a 3-0 deficit on the Yankees last year), but I wouldn't count on it happening this year.

That having been said, the season is not yet over. However, if the Steelers lose tomorrow and go to 7-6, I believe any playoff hopes will no longer be realistic. So as I watch tomorrow, it will be with the anxiety that with a loss it will be the last meaningful game of the year.

A little Of Both Atlanta Dan I hate To admit it. But We Can Still Make The Playoffs With a Cincy loss.

StillerPaul
12-10-2005, 11:15 AM
I'm kinda teetering on the "half empty glass, half full glass" myself. A big part of me believes that if we win sunday it becomes a whole new season. We all know how Cowher can motivate and drive once the team gets a little confidence. But should we lose? It's 4 in a row and a clear sign of the team not buying into it any more IMO. I guess time will tell.

SalukiSteelers
12-10-2005, 11:24 AM
Who cares about the loss to Cincy. It's over and can't be corrected so it doesn't matter to what happens from here on out. At that point in the season, it was the biggest game of the year but the NFL season keeps on moving.

Sunday's game against the Bears is the most important of the season. Win and next week is the most importatant. The Steelers aren't out of this, yet, and I don't see why they can't win out and make the playoffs.

As for wildcard teams winning it all, I think the '83 Raiders were the first to do it. I 99% sure that the '97 Broncos won three straight on the road, including the AFC championship game in Pittsburgh, to win the SB.

It's not impossible to do it. Is this the team that can do it again? I don't know, but I do know that playing at home has been no guarantee of success for the Steelers. All any team has to do to have a chance to win the SB is get in the playoffs.

You're right about losing, 7-6 is out of it. Unless you're in the AFC East. Screw it. This week's game is the most important of the season. And after the Steelers win, next week is the most important.

SteelCityMan786
12-10-2005, 01:37 PM
We Got More Things To Be Concerned about. We need To Focus on winning the final 4 Games that We Can possibly Get in the Playoffs.

Atlanta Dan
12-10-2005, 02:48 PM
Who cares about the loss to Cincy. It's over and can't be corrected so it doesn't matter to what happens from here on out. At that point in the season, it was the biggest game of the year but the NFL season keeps on moving.

Sunday's game against the Bears is the most important of the season. Win and next week is the most importatant. The Steelers aren't out of this, yet, and I don't see why they can't win out and make the playoffs.

As for wildcard teams winning it all, I think the '83 Raiders were the first to do it. I 99% sure that the '97 Broncos won three straight on the road, including the AFC championship game in Pittsburgh, to win the SB.

It's not impossible to do it. Is this the team that can do it again? I don't know, but I do know that playing at home has been no guarantee of success for the Steelers. All any team has to do to have a chance to win the SB is get in the playoffs.

You're right about losing, 7-6 is out of it. Unless you're in the AFC East. Screw it. This week's game is the most important of the season. And after the Steelers win, next week is the most important.

Raiders won it all as wild card in 1980 but beat Houston at home before beating Cleveland and San Diego on road

Denver beat Jax at home before beating KC and Steelers on road in 1997

Ravens won it all in 2000 by beating Denver at home and then winning at Tennessee and Oakland on the road

No team has won three playoff games on the road to make the Super Bowl.

SalukiSteelers
12-10-2005, 02:52 PM
My bad, AD. I guess this year will be the first. Here we go Steelers.

Koopa
12-10-2005, 02:59 PM
if we lose sunday then yes it is the last meaningful game of the year, cause there'll be no real chance at a playoff birth, but if we win the next week is the most important and so on and so on. we are gonna win out and i think get the last wildcard

SteelCityMan786
12-10-2005, 03:02 PM
We Need To Win and hope That Some how The Bengals Lose 3 Of Their Final 4 So We Can Take Back The Divison.

Koopa
12-10-2005, 03:04 PM
i could care less about the division, just making the playoffs is more important then worrying about a pointless division championship

SteelCityMan786
12-10-2005, 03:06 PM
Actually The Divison Can Wait Till Next Year. We Need TO WIN OUT AND HOPE FOR A TIE WITH SAN DIEGO.

Koopa
12-10-2005, 03:09 PM
i'm hoping the cowboys beat the chiefs tomorrow, and then i hope they lose to the giants. i haven't looked at the chargers schedule but i think they play the colts once so i think they'll lose at least one more time. we just go to take care of business and then hope everyone else loses

SteelCityMan786
12-10-2005, 03:21 PM
They Already Lost To The Giants. Unless Your Talking about the Playoffs.

Koopa
12-10-2005, 03:25 PM
no i'm talkin about the cheifs, they play the giants next saturday

fergusonat
12-10-2005, 03:51 PM
I think there's still a pretty good chance we'll get into the playoffs, all the teams we're in competition with for the wildcard have pretty tough schedules. But I don't think the Steelers should even think about other teams screwing up. They need to focus on just winning out the rest of the season

SteelCityMan786
12-10-2005, 04:00 PM
Bottom Line fergusonat just stated. We Need To WIn Out

Sharkissle29
12-10-2005, 05:29 PM
I'm more worried about KC than SD...basically bc they have the tie-breaker to us. if we win out, i think we will get it. believe it or not, their still would be a chance to get in with another loss but we shouldnt count on that. all depends on what SD and KC does. have faith steeler fans :bouncy: :bouncy:
:tt: :tt: :tt: :tt: :tt: :tt: :tt: :tt: :tt: :tt:
HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO!!!!

melroseplace
12-10-2005, 05:36 PM

a very good way to look at it...

clevestinks
12-10-2005, 07:42 PM
Every game now is the most important of the year. With a loss tomorrow, that wont happen, we would now be mathematically elminated. But it would be amlost time to plan winter vacations without a playoff bid. If we lose 4 in a row, then we might not be as good as we hoped

Koopa
12-10-2005, 07:46 PM
Every game now is the most important of the year. With a loss tomorrow, that wont happen, we would now be mathematically elminated. But it would be amlost time to plan winter vacations without a playoff bid. If we lose 4 in a row, then we might not be as good as we hoped

you're right, but we will not lose 4 in a row i guarantee that

BlitzburghRockCity
12-10-2005, 10:16 PM
if we lose 4 in a row then we definately arent as good as we hoped..

Yep this is 4 one game seasons now....each week its win or die... 1 game at a time and do our part to get into the playoffs.

SteelCityMan786
12-10-2005, 10:20 PM
BRC Has earned More Rep Points We Need To Win This Game. And we're capable of doing so.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-10-2005, 11:43 PM
back at ya.... :tt: :tt:

fergusonat
12-11-2005, 12:15 AM
Yep, the harsh reality is that each remaining game is absolutely critical. Losing 4 in a row would be humiliating I think. To think losing 3 in a row was the first time it's happened since '03 is sad enough, but four in a row? Come on Steelers! Pull a win for us!

...oh yeah, and then pull 3 more wins after that :grin:

Rotorhead
12-11-2005, 12:35 AM
Basically, our playoffs start today.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-11-2005, 01:34 AM
our playoffs should have started 2 weeks ago but we werent up to the task...now we have no choice !!!

Lets go STeelers !!! :tt:

Atlanta Dan
12-11-2005, 08:30 AM
I'm more worried about KC than SD...basically bc they have the tie-breaker to us. if we win out, i think we will get it. believe it or not, their still would be a chance to get in with another loss but we shouldnt count on that. all depends on what SD and KC does. have faith steeler fans :bouncy: :bouncy:
:tt: :tt: :tt: :tt: :tt: :tt: :tt: :tt: :tt: :tt:
HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO!!!!

Chiefs and Chargers play each other in KC on Christmas Eve afternoon (full slate of NFL games that Saturday) - so that is a loss for one of them.

Chiefs also have Cowboys & Giants on road and finish with Bengals at home.

Chargers have Dolphins today, followed by Indy & KC on road, with final game at home against Broncos.

As has been said in other posts, Steelers need to take care of business and win out their last 4. If they do that, I bet they beat out the Chargers.

I agree that I am more concerned about KC losing 6 games than the Chargers losing 5. As for KC losing 2 more games, I will start getting concerned about that if Chiefs beat Dallas today.

Steelers got themselves into this mess by going 3-3 at home and collectively botching the game in Baltimore.

Now they need to remember the first rule of holes - when you find yourself in one the first thing to do is quit digging.

Koopa
12-11-2005, 01:52 PM
it's all maddox fault that we are in this mess of having to play every game like it's our last

clevestinks
12-11-2005, 03:10 PM
Kicking butt and taking names today!

On to next week!

clevestinks
12-11-2005, 03:16 PM

Turn your pess, to opt.

The thread should say! " The last meaningful game of the year is the Superbowl" Thats where we ill be! Never say die. 21-3 right now. We are the Pittsburgh Steelers loyal backers!

SteelCityMan786
12-11-2005, 04:31 PM
Every Single Game Is A Meaningful Game. If It's Regular Season.

clevestinks
12-11-2005, 05:46 PM
The most meaningful is in Detroit, we can do this! We are only behind because of some big injuries!

Come On Steelers we can do this!

SteelCityMan786
12-11-2005, 05:54 PM
Clevestinks Is entitled To More Points To His Rep. We had some key injuries. Except at one time we had a QB Who Stepped Up For Big Ben. Maddox had a problem getting things going. So I just Hope Ben Plays Well as well as every other Steeler. We Got 1 Down 3 Wins To Go.

Koopa
12-12-2005, 02:18 AM
damn you must rep a shitload of ppl to be giving rep to the same two guys a lot of rep these last couple of days lol......i'll give you some for the hell of it

i can't wait for the vikes, should be a good game and now that will be the most important game of the season