PDA

View Full Version : Porter on Vick: "All it was was dogs"

fansince'76
11-22-2008, 11:01 AM
Who is this "They" Porter keeps referring to? :scratchchin:

Porter on Vick: "All it was was dogs"

Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:03 pm EST

Miami Dolphins linebacker Joey Porter commented on the possible reinstatement of former Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick and, as usual, Porter shot right from the lip, according to a report on EPSN.com. Vick was convicted for his role in a dogfighting ring and is serving time in a Kansas federal prison. He's scheduled to be released next summer.

"He's already been punished enough," said Porter (referring to Vick's possible reinstatement after serving his sentence), who owns a pair of pit bulls and a Maltese. "They gave him his penalty. He paid his penalty. What else should they do to him now?"

"All it was was dogs. They act like they don't even like pit bulls anyway. That's the funny thing about it if you want to get back on that topic. I got pit bulls, I got to put them under a different breed just to travel. So you can't even fly pit bulls nowhere."

"It's a breed they don't care about. It's not like he was fighting co cker spaniels or something that they like. They don't really care too much about pit bulls."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Porter-on-Vick-All-it-was-was-dogs-?urn=nfl,123957

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
11-22-2008, 11:31 AM
O.K., I usually like Porter. but that is just ridiculous. I think Vick should be made an example of, the NFL is started to fill up with convicts and shady characters.

Tankus_Maximus
11-22-2008, 12:28 PM
Damn Joey, I'm usually one of your biggest fans, even when you say something stupid like this (which lately is quite often), but please just enjoy that 64oz can of STFU, and leave the talkin' to the field.....usually right before kick-off when you're in your pre-game stretches.

The Patriot
11-22-2008, 05:31 PM
Vick won't be reinstated. He's a puppy-killer! That's like the ultimate evil cliche, right next to baby-eater.

steelersfanman92
11-22-2008, 05:41 PM
Damn Joey, I'm usually one of your biggest fans, even when you say something stupid like this (which lately is quite often), but please just enjoy that 64oz can of STFU, and leave the talkin' to the field.....usually right before kick-off when you're in your pre-game stretches.

I feel the same way, there is no need to say dumb stuff like that, I personally hope that Vick never makes it back in the league

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
11-22-2008, 05:49 PM
O.K., I usually like Porter. but that is just ridiculous. I think Vick should be made an example of, the NFL is started to fill up with convicts and shady characters.

he should be able to play again... he killed a dog... not a human... If he killed a bird noone would care

steelreserve
11-22-2008, 06:20 PM
Every now and then, you hear another player trying to do some explaining for Michael Vick. Yeah, we might say it sounds dumb or careless, but the point it seems like they're trying to make is that a lot of players grow up in basically a different world where unpleasant shit happens all the time. That doesn't mean dogfighting is right, or any less cruel, but it's just the way it is for some people. That part I can understand where they're coming from.

silver & black
11-22-2008, 06:25 PM
he should be able to play again... he killed a dog... not a human... If he killed a bird noone would care

It doesn't matter what you, or anyone thinks about what he did. The reality is, dog fighting is against the law. Vick lied about it and threw everyone around him under the bus, untill it was very apparent he wasn't going to get away with it... then he admitted it, and gave his (cough) heartfelt little speech and apology.

I agree that he paid for it. He served his time. I personally don't want him back in the NFL, but that isn't my decision to make. That falls on our illustrious commissioner. I can only hope he says no... but, he reinstated Pacman... again, so I would imagine that Vick will be allowed to play again.

MACH1
11-22-2008, 06:29 PM

Um Yeah...It was a federal charge. :doh:
Next up are the state charges.

Godfather
11-22-2008, 06:32 PM
I agree, it was a dumb thing to say. Especially this long after the fact.

I did find it interesting that he made a distinction between breeds.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
11-22-2008, 07:11 PM
Um Yeah...It was a federal charge. :doh:
Next up are the state charges.

I agree and that is why he is in jail... But once he does his time.... There is no reason why he can not return to his profession which happens to be football.

T&B fan
11-22-2008, 07:41 PM
I agree and that is why he is in jail... But once he does his time.... There is no reason why he can not return to his profession which happens to be football.

Mans gotta work :iagree:

Preacher
11-22-2008, 07:56 PM

There is however, another question that needs to be answered. If he is gambling on dogfights, are NFL players allowed to gamble on other sporting events. If the answer is yes, then Vick was involved in that and may not be allowed to come back. If he is not, or if athletes are allowed to gamble on other sports events, then he should be allowed to come back as he has served his time.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
11-22-2008, 08:01 PM
There is however, another question that needs to be answered. If he is gambling on dogfights, are NFL players allowed to gamble on other sporting events. If the answer is yes, then Vick was involved in that and may not be allowed to come back. If he is not, or if athletes are allowed to gamble on other sports events, then he should be allowed to come back as he has served his time.

Would dog fighting be considered a "sport" that Vic was gambled on?

X-Terminator
11-22-2008, 08:07 PM
I still can't believe there are people trying to defend Vick. What part of HE BROKE THE LAW doesn't Porter or any of his other apologists understand? I'm SO sick of people making excuses for people who break the law - it's one of the many reasons why this society is so screwed up right now. Accountability and dealing with the consequences of the stupid shit you do apparently isn't allowed anymore.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
11-22-2008, 08:11 PM
I still can't believe there are people trying to defend Vick. What part of HE BROKE THE LAW doesn't Porter or any of his other apologists understand? I'm SO sick of people making excuses for people who break the law - it's one of the many reasons why this society is so screwed up right now. Accountability and dealing with the consequences of the stupid shit you do apparently isn't allowed anymore.

I dont think anyone is making excuses for his actions.

I disagree with anyone who says Vic should not be aloud to play football once he serves his time and pays any penalties

missedgehead
11-22-2008, 08:35 PM
More idiocy coming from the mouth of Joey Porter......what else is new? Michael Vick should not be re-instated. Period. Poor role model for kids, even though I am not one to think that athletes should be made role models, but unfortunately, in our society, they are. Dog fighting is a federal crime. No way should this dog murderer be allowed on a football field.

missedgehead
11-22-2008, 08:38 PM

:applaudit::applaudit::applaudit:

Agreed. Too many people are willing to give excuses for law breakers these days if you ask me. Good post. :thumbsup:

Preacher
11-22-2008, 08:49 PM
Would dog fighting be considered a "sport" that Vic was gambled on?

Yes, as it is a contest between two entities to see who or what wins. In the same way that dog racing is a sport.

Personally, I think dog fighting is horrendous. But in the sense of gambling on a victor, there is no difference between that and baseball. You still win or lose money based on a victor.

If athletes are not allowed to bet on ... lets call them contests, not sport... then he should not be allowed back.

However, if they are, and this was his first "issue" with the league, then yes, he should be allowed back.

Problem is, it wasn't his first issue. Don't forget being caught with pot in an airport. This is his second issue, and this one a big one.

I have a feeling that if he is reinstated, it will be a zero-tolerance. ANY run-ins with the police outside of a simple traffic ticket and he is gone.

steelergirl07
11-22-2008, 09:19 PM
I say let him come back (on any team but the Steelers), so he can get laid out.

There is no excuse for what he did. None. I'm glad he was punished. I personally hope he never sets foot on an NFL turf ever again, unless he's part of the yard crew.

But if they do reinstate him, I would hope it would be zero tolerance.

The Duke
11-22-2008, 09:51 PM
I still think he shoud be put in a cage with 3 pitbulls.....and james harrison

see what happens :thumbsup:

If this moron wants to play football send him to the CFL. Goodell has to be smart for once here

Preacher
11-22-2008, 09:56 PM
I still think he shoud be put in a cage with 3 pitbulls.....and james harrison

see what happens :thumbsup:

If this moron wants to play football send him to the CFL. Goodell has to be smart for once here

It wouldn't be fair, to the pit bulls. Harrison would take care of Vick and the PB's wouldn't have anything to do.

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
11-22-2008, 10:59 PM

If it was a Bald Eagle (which is a Federal crime like dog fighting), people would care.

If the NFL reinstates this scum of a human being (I hazard to call him a human), it shows how twisted the organization is. If they let him back, it is only because they think he will be a moneymaker for them. Don't give me this "its because of where he was raised and the society he grew up in" bullcrap... When will people be required to be held accountable for their actions.

MasterOfPuppets
11-23-2008, 12:28 AM
Yes, as it is a contest between two entities to see who or what wins. so then argueing with the ole lady IS a sport........i win again !!!! :tt02:

rbryan
11-23-2008, 07:32 AM
Theres an interview with JP thats going to air on ESPN today I believe, saw a small clip. Talking about New England and how he still holds a grudge. He still feels very strongly that the Steelers were cheated in the AFCCG's

No matter what else Joey might say at least someone is keeping that subject on the table. Seems like every other talking head wants to sweep the spygate incident under the rug and act like never happened or suggest that anyone who believes it had an effect on the games is some kind of an idiot.

ShutDown24
11-23-2008, 09:22 PM
I'm one of the biggest dog lovers you'll find. Yet, I kind of get what Joey is saying. I don't agree in his supporting of Vick at all, that's completely wrong. However, society does look down upon Pit Bulls for whatever reason. The breed's reputation is far worse than it should be, even if they are more 'violent' dogs. So in Joey's criticism of public opinion, I strongly agree with him. But again, in his defense of Vick - no way.

Crushzilla
11-23-2008, 09:32 PM
I have come to expect my weekly Joey Porter commentary...

... He's like Andy Rooney with a touch of train wreck...

jjpro11
11-23-2008, 09:35 PM
im not quite sure i actually understand what he is talking about.

Godfather
11-24-2008, 01:35 PM
If the NFL reinstates this scum of a human being (I hazard to call him a human), it shows how twisted the organization is. If they let him back, it is only because they think he will be a moneymaker for them. Don't give me this "its because of where he was raised and the society he grew up in" bullcrap... When will people be required to be held accountable for their actions.

I don't know about a lifetime ban. Dogfighting is repugnant but Ray Lewis killed PEOPLE and still gets to play in the NFL.

RoethlisBURGHer
11-24-2008, 03:15 PM
Here is my opinion:

He bankrolled a large illegal activity. He took the money paid to him by playing in the NFL to bankroll this.

He is a felon, convicted on FEDERAL charges. He is about to be convicted on charges from the state of Virginia which could tack more jail time onto what he serves in federal prison.

And not only did he participate in dogfighting, the way he went about killing the dogs that didn't perform well enough is just horrible. Drowning the dogs, electricuting the dogs, hanging the dogs. That's a cruel and unusual way to kill an animal when a bullet to the head would be quicker and less work...which tells me he ENOYED doing what he did.

Not to mention, playing in the NFL is a privledge not a right.

He has every right to work, he can always flip burgers at McDonalds. Stock shelves at the local IGA. Maybe a gas station will let him run a cash register.

However, the NFL should not allow him back. It would be horrible publicity for the NFL.

GutterflowerSteel
11-24-2008, 06:42 PM
Here is my opinion:

He bankrolled a large illegal activity. He took the money paid to him by playing in the NFL to bankroll this.

He is a felon, convicted on FEDERAL charges. He is about to be convicted on charges from the state of Virginia which could tack more jail time onto what he serves in federal prison.

And not only did he participate in dogfighting, the way he went about killing the dogs that didn't perform well enough is just horrible. Drowning the dogs, electricuting the dogs, hanging the dogs. That's a cruel and unusual way to kill an animal when a bullet to the head would be quicker and less work...which tells me he ENOYED doing what he did.

Not to mention, playing in the NFL is a privledge not a right.

He has every right to work, he can always flip burgers at McDonalds. Stock shelves at the local IGA. Maybe a gas station will let him run a cash register.

However, the NFL should not allow him back. It would be horrible publicity for the NFL.
Well said.

He got off on killing those dogs - that's highly disturbing. A bullet would have been slightly more humane - but he tortured them. Some will say that since an animal's life is not on the same level as a human, then punishment for an animal's death should be less severe. But anybody who would torture an animal in such a sick and twisted manner is just one step closer to doing that to a person. People like that have no regard for life and are the true animals. I'm sick of hearing his fans' excuses for that human PoS - I hope he comes out of prison with a size 20 asshole and NEVER returns to the NFL!!

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
11-24-2008, 11:09 PM
I don't know about a lifetime ban. Dogfighting is repugnant but Ray Lewis killed PEOPLE and still gets to play in the NFL.

True, but two wrongs don't make a right. You think the NFL would hold its players/staff to a higher standard. Just goes to show you it is all about the money.

On a side note, you reminded me of something funny.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9XZDzOGFXts&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9XZDzOGFXts&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

TerribleSteelyMcBeam
11-25-2008, 10:58 AM
well Vick just pled guilty not too long ago.

and i hope he is made an example of

SteelerFan091472
11-25-2008, 09:40 PM
True, but two wrongs don't make a right. You think the NFL would hold its players/staff to a higher standard. Just goes to show you it is all about the money.

On a side note, you reminded me of something funny.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9XZDzOGFXts&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9XZDzOGFXts&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

In response to the video, there's no way Shannon Sharpe could actually speak that clearly.

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
11-25-2008, 11:07 PM
In response to the video, there's no way Shannon Sharpe could actually speak that clearly.

Clearly it was dubbed in English...lol:flap:

steelwall
11-26-2008, 01:24 AM
How many of us here can take a dog and hold it's head in a 5 gallon bucket until its dead?

How any of us could put household dogs in a ring and watch as a pitbull tears it to shreads....laughing all the way?

These are just 2 examples of what Vick did. Like it or not millions of children looked up to Vick. Should we forget this happened "just because they were dogs?" Tell our children "oh, it's only dogs dear....they deserve a brutal and torturous death".

F- that. It's not about lowely dogs, it's not about race, it's about a sadistic human being breaking the law.

I don't care if it were F-ing skunks, no creature deserves to be treated in this manor. I'm not a tree hugger, and I couldnt survive without meat in my diet. But these are animals of the food chain..

I seriously doubt those pets, and pitbulls were used as nutrition. I was an avid hunter but I never killed an animal illegaly, or without the intention of eating it.

Vick's actions cannot be justified, unless you have an agenda or you're just plain heartless.

What if it was your family pet? Torn to shreads while Vick laughed at your pet being mauled?