PDA

View Full Version : Mike Tomlin's Mojo Has Helped the Pittsburgh Steelers Get Their 8-3 Record

mesaSteeler
11-22-2008, 01:53 PM
Mike Tomlin's Mojo Has Helped the Pittsburgh Steelers Get Their 8-3 Record
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/84659-mike-tomlins-mojo-has-helped-the-pittsburgh-steelers-get-their-8-3-record
by Eddie Rossell (Scribe)

November 22, 2008
NFL, Pittsburgh Steelers, Mike Tomlin, Editorial

When Bill Cowher left the Steelers two seasons ago, I felt that it would take a really long time to find a guy that could fire up a team and lead a team as well as he did for his many years in Pittsburgh.

No doubt, Cowher is a tough act to follow.

I kept hearing that it would be Russ Grimm or Ken Whisenhunt who would be the most likely people to take up the head-coaching job. But then, as a huge shock to many, the Steelers hired Mike Tomlin, a young defensive coordinator from the Minnesota Vikings, to coach the team.

Now, I had never heard of this guy, and I had my doubts going into last year. But in his rookie head coaching season, he led the Steelers to the playoffs with a 10-6 record.

He has done some magnificent things for the Pittsburgh Steelers, and is only 36 years old, one year older than the Steelers' oldest player Orpheus Roye, 35, and about half as old as the Steelers defensive coordinator Dick Lebeau, 70.

And he wasn't given the easiest job either, with the Steelers going 8-8 the previous year. But Mike Tomlin improved many of the things the Steelers had struggled with in the past.

Steelers Pass Defense

The Steelers pass defense has never been known to be as great as their rush defense, but when Mike Tomlin came in, he began to change that. And he couldn't have been a better fit for the Steelers since he was a defensive coordinator in Minnesota and a defensive back coach in Tampa.

He took what was once the downfall of the Steelers, not being able to defend the pass, and turned it into the one of the team's main strengths. The Steelers pass defense is currently ranked No. 1 in the league.

There is no doubt that Mike Tomlin caused this turnaround, and it has the helped the Steelers defense rank first in all the major categories.

Steelers Special Teams

It used to be that whenever the Steelers would kickoff, I ,and many Pittsburgh fans that I know, could not watch the kick because none of us wanted to see the other team return it for a TD. It was a distinct possibility on almost every kickoff, especially when a guy like Joshua Cribbs would be returning it.

And most if the time, the other team was given great field position, because the Steelers' special teams just could not tackle them.

I have noticed that now on kickoffs, the Steelers' special teams' players are quickly getting down field and are tackling better and stopping the opponent sometimes before they even reach the 20.

Mike Tomlin has really changed the Steelers for the better and I hope he continues to make good decisions and help the Steelers win another championship. I am starting to really like him as the coach.

And I actually think he could win coach of the year, but with other coaches like Jeff Fisher, Tony Sparano, and John Harbaugh, it will definitely be difficult for Tomlin to get the award.

Hopefully, the Mike Tomlin Mojo can take the Steelers to the Super Bowl in February.

IamTheSteelGod
11-22-2008, 04:53 PM
Nice post & I totally agree with what your saying. Although its a shame he can't sort out the o-line :-Z Oh well give him time though hey? He is deffonately worth a mention for coach of the year, but with the likes of Sparano knocking about and what he has achieved with the Dolphins, I agree its going toughy.

ricksteelers55
11-22-2008, 11:16 PM
Yeah but the thing is Dolphins,Ravens and Titans dont have a schedule as tough as we have with all the injuries that we have and still the number 1 D and a 8-3 record,no doubt that Tomlin is the man

Steelman16
11-23-2008, 12:04 AM
Now if we could find somebody to electrify the kick/punt teams we'd have a very formidable Special Teams.

The coverage has improved dramatically. It's nice to see Bailey and Madison stopping them around the 18-19 yard line, or even further back.

:tt02:

Edman
11-23-2008, 12:20 AM
Stay away from the Scout.com Steelers board. There are still fans out there that still want him booted after a tough loss. Barring no slip ups on the home stretch, Tomlin is on pace to improve on the Steelers win total from the previous season for the second consecutive year. Not bad.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
11-23-2008, 12:36 AM
Great article....
Thanks

Lets hope Tomlin can do something about our offensive scoring drives...
We have been winning games because of our defense... our offense needs to step things up down the stretch....giving our defense some rest on the sideline

mesaSteeler
11-23-2008, 04:46 AM
Great article....
Thanks

Lets hope Tomlin can do something about our offensive scoring drives...
We have been winning games because of our defense... our offense needs to step things up down the stretch....giving our defense some rest on the sideline

You are most welcome. Unfortunately I don't think we can do much with our offensive scoring drives until we strengthen our O-Line.

Galax Steeler
11-23-2008, 07:34 AM
Nice read hopefully Tomlin will continue improving on our record he is a great coach and only in his second year.

KeiselPower99
11-23-2008, 09:58 AM
I love Mikey T. Id run through a brick wall for this man. And not only a good football coach but a down to earth guy.

scsteeler
11-24-2008, 07:24 PM
I have been quite please with Coach Tomlin and had my doubts at first but I think this guy will turn out to be another great added to the list of coaches that the rooneys have picked. As far as the O-line I think Coach T will make work on improving that next season. If you are a Steeler fan you can see improvements each of the past 2 years.

markymarc
11-25-2008, 02:11 PM
Terrific article on Tomlin. Thanks a lot for posting Mesa. I really missed saying those phrases Mesa :laughing: I loved the Tomlin hiring and truly believe he has the "it" factor and will be another great Steelers HC. This is only his 2nd year and of course is still learning along the way. I also believe this next off season will say a lot about Tomlin's legacy. How does he handle the issues with Arians and LZ. How does Tomlin fix the OL issues. I really believe you can fix it big time in FA and the draft. I say you let Kemo, Smith and Starks all walk. I definitely make sure Simmons is either traded or cut. I make offers to Colon and Essex. I move Stapleton to LG and insert Colon at RG. Then you just need a LT and RT and depth for the interior line. That can easily be addressed through FA and the draft. Also, how do you make the defensive unit stronger.

vasteeler
11-26-2008, 11:31 AM
Terrific article on Tomlin. Thanks a lot for posting Mesa. I really missed saying those phrases Mesa :laughing: I loved the Tomlin hiring and truly believe he has the "it" factor and will be another great Steelers HC. This is only his 2nd year and of course is still learning along the way. I also believe this next off season will say a lot about Tomlin's legacy. How does he handle the issues with Arians and LZ. How does Tomlin fix the OL issues. I really believe you can fix it big time in FA and the draft. I say you let Kemo, Smith and Starks all walk. I definitely make sure Simmons is either traded or cut. I make offers to Colon and Essex. I move Stapleton to LG and insert Colon at RG. Then you just need a LT and RT and depth for the interior line. That can easily be addressed through FA and the draft. Also, how do you make the defensive unit stronger.

the only thing I will disagre on is Kemo I think he will soon be a BEAST:tt03:

lilyoder6
11-26-2008, 12:07 PM
it seems to me that kemo and stapleton are keepers for our o-line.. both are very young and they are playing real god 4 being back-ups

drizze99
11-26-2008, 02:03 PM
Nice read. Thanks for posting!

markymarc
11-26-2008, 05:44 PM
the only thing I will disagre on is Kemo I think he will soon be a BEAST:tt03:

You may be correct, but right now I am on the fence with Kemo. The more playing time he gets the better he can become. I still think his major weakness is pass blocking. I just don't want to throw ridiculous money at him in the off season.

Havik
11-26-2008, 08:43 PM
Mike Tomlin has done well so far. I like that despite being the youngest head coach not only in the NFL, but in all 4 major pro sports (NFL, NBA, MLB, and NHL), he has complete control of his team and is well respected by his players and peers. Did I mention unlike some head coaches who have been coaching before he was born, Tomlin has a winning record with his team?

steel striker
11-26-2008, 09:11 PM
I like Tomlin and, he seems to be brutally honest which is a good thing. He is a players coach because, you can tell he cares about everyone and tries to get the most out of everyone. He does show his emotions like in last year's playoff game vs the jags near the end of the game he hugged Hines. Hines played one hell of a game and, like Tomlin I love Hines effort. I think so far Tomlin has done a good job. You know following Cohwer is tough but, Tomlin is making his own footsteps and, in time he will lead us to the promise land and another sb.