PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' quiet grinders are heard By Jim Wexell

mesaSteeler
11-22-2008, 02:09 PM
11/22/2008
Steelers' quiet grinders are heard
By Jim Wexell , For the Herald-Standard
http://www.heraldstandard.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=20204822&BRD=2280&PAG=461&dept_id=468632&rfi=6

PITTSBURGH - Perhaps they're flying under the radar at 8-3, but the Steelers like it that way.

"It's kind of our thing," Troy Polamalu said after his interception ended Thursday night's 27-10 win over the Cincinnati Bengals.

"We're not a flashy team," he said. "We're not the Dallas Cowboys, where we have a lot of stars and draw a lot of attention. We grind 'em out and we play kind of ugly, rough and physical. And we win, thank God. But the personality of the city matches the personality of the team. It's so blue collar, none of that New York-Los Angeles-Hollywood mentality within us, and we like that."

The grind-it-out players stepped up to take a bow against the Bengals.

Tight end Heath Miller is one quiet guy who made his presence felt early. He made up for a holding penalty early in the second quarter by catching a 14-yard pass on the next snap. He finished the drive with a 3-yard touchdown catch near the right pylon to tie the game, 7-7.

"It was just a good play call and a good throw. I had the easy part," said Miller. "I was open in the flat and Matt Spaeth had a good pick route on the play."

Spaeth, sitting next to Miller in the locker room, laughed at the description. He'd caught 12 passes during Miller's two-game absence, but was blanked this week as Miller caught four passes for 44 yards and the touchdown. Miller also set up Gary Russell's 2-yard touchdown run with a 19-yard catch down the left seam after quarterback Ben Roethlisberger had checked down from the right side.

Russell's touchdown late in the third quarter put the Steelers ahead by 20-7 and sealed the win. It was the first career touchdown for Russell, another of the quiet grinders.

"I consider myself a power back. I'm not Willie fast," Russell said of Willie Parker.

Russell appears to have secured the short-yardage role Thursday. He converted a fourth-and-1 on the Steelers' first scoring drive and was the first and only option for the Steelers at the goal line.

"I'm only in my second year," Russell said. "Usually they call on guys who've been here awhile. When he called my number, it surprised me. It's something you dream of."

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin also called Mewelde Moore's number Thursday night when Parker aggravated his knee, and Moore responded with a workmanlike 56 yards on 15 carries to lead all rushers. Moore also took a screen pass 18 yards to not only establish a team-high for the play this season, it set up Roethlisberger's 8-yard touchdown run to finish the scoring.

"You could read the defense and see it was going to work," Moore said of the screen pass. "Saw it, liked it, hit it."

Of course, the bluest collar among these blue-collar Steelers belongs to defensive end Aaron Smith. He batted three passes, sniffed out a screen for no gain, and blew up several running plays Thursday night. The Bengals rushed for only 43 yards on 20 carries.

"To be 8-3 with these few days off is nice," said the quiet giant. "Coming off that short week is hard. It was hard to come back, so we'll get some rest and get our legs back underneath us."

CanadianSteel
11-23-2008, 12:32 AM
Rest up Boys, and then put the pedal to the metal down the stretch and get that first round bye !!! :tt:

Hapa
11-23-2008, 12:35 AM
Aaron Smith honestly is one of the best players on the team.

If the only stat that really mattered for DE's and Pro Bowls wasn't just sacks, he would have gone to multiple Pro Bowls

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
11-23-2008, 12:48 AM
With the injuries we have this season combined with our tough schedule....it is amazing that we are 8-3..

Great job Steelers....Take your 10 days to get healty and go get them Patriots

Galax Steeler
11-23-2008, 07:37 AM
With the injuries we have this season combined with our tough schedule....it is amazing that we are 8-3..

Great job Steelers....Take your 10 days to get healty and go get them Patriots

Agreed hopefully we can get our players back from injuries and everyone can get rested and we can go to foxboro and whip those patriots.

Fire Haley
11-23-2008, 11:42 AM
Heath Miller is a 'quiet guy" because Arians is an idiot.

Throw him the damn ball.

Preacher
11-23-2008, 11:51 AM
Heath Miller is a 'quiet guy" because Arians is an idiot.

Throw him the damn ball.

:rolleyes:

I am sure you were screaming for that all those years with Cowher as well right? Seems to me, we are throwing more to our TE now then we ever have before.

Dizzle43
11-23-2008, 12:35 PM
Our record with the difficutly of our schedule is outstanding!! I'm proud of the coaches and the team so far. We should be able to get a little more healthy before the game against the cheaters.

JEFF4i
11-23-2008, 12:46 PM
We are an ugly team!

Its why we are so beautiful!!!

The Steelers do not do 16-0, not since I've been a fan(around 2 or 3, only 22 now). However, we still get to Superbowls because when the going gets tough, we might make mistakes, but we dig in and tough it out in the trenches.

I love where we are, and wouldn't see it any other way.

In 3 games that we've lost, it is for a total of what? 16 points behind? 5 Eagles, 4 Colts, 7 Giants. Because of this, I'm loving where we are.

Fire Haley
11-23-2008, 01:15 PM
Seems to me, we are throwing more to our TE now then we ever have before.

Miller had 1 receiving TD all year? That's not what I would effective use of your #1 draft pick TE. Truth is, Ben's ego is having a hard time checking down to those measly 12 yard catches, when the voices in his brain tell him to throw the 70 yd bombs, that's what that is all about.

steelpride12
11-23-2008, 01:27 PM
Once again the Steelers flying well below the radar as they are a excellent 8-3 with injuries and not getting much recognition!

All i hear is the Steelers are lucky to have this record and they are a team destined to lose in the first round again. Well i love it.
Thats how the Steelers won the super bowl and once everyone is healthy and %100 we will be off and running again!

markymarc
11-25-2008, 01:26 PM
I've been a long time reader of this site and with encouragement from Mesa decided to start posting. Good article and thanks for posting it Mesa. Nice to finally find you again :wave: Anyway, IMO Heath Miller is the best all around TE in the entire NFL. We are lucky to have him. Also, Aaron Smith no question is the best 3-4 DL and 2nd place is not even close.

Dino 6 Rings
11-25-2008, 01:32 PM
Just keep playing hard and smashing skulls

As Conan Says "Crush your enemy, see them driven before you and hear the lamentations of the women."