PDA

View Full Version : The closest book game.

Preacher
11-22-2008, 11:15 PM
Ok,

I saw this game on Facebook, and it is kinda interesting. Here are the rules

Rules:
* Grab the book nearest you. Right now.
* Turn to page 56.
* Find the fifth sentence.
* Post that sentence .
* Don't dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.

May I suggest you do this once a day, when you see the thread, if so inclined.

Here is my offering...

"Without raising the question of whether such variations can be related to hypothetical literary documents, we will turn directly to the question of the role these variations play in the composition of the Pentateuch."

The Pentateuch as Narrative, John Sailhamer (I had two books equally close and about as interesting. Dang, do I really have a life?)

steelersfanman92
11-22-2008, 11:18 PM
"Similarly, the inability of a substance to change into another substance is also a chemical property."

That is from my honors chem book, fun stuff...

Steel Duck
11-22-2008, 11:27 PM
Twice they encountered signals that manifested on the screen as coruscating patterns in vibrant colors.

From The Taking by Dean Koontz

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
11-22-2008, 11:37 PM
"Oh, God please...I spent the seventies in jail. I'm not Moloch anymore. I just want to be left alone. What do you want with me?" "The Watchmen" by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons

Preacher
11-22-2008, 11:41 PM
Twice they encountered signals that manifested on the screen as coruscating patterns in vibrant colors.

From The Taking by Dean Koontz

:yikes:

I was JUST staring at that book on my bookshelf, wondering if I should read it over Christmas break.

Borski
11-23-2008, 12:58 AM
None at all that I can see, if you are thinking of punishment in the police court sense.

Mere Christianity
C. S. Lewis

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
11-23-2008, 01:11 AM
Mr. Weasley took Harry's glasses, gave them a tap of his wand, and returned them, good as new

tony hipchest
11-23-2008, 01:42 AM
cephalosporins-cetazolin (ancef, ketzol- Ing: 500mg/50ml- IV: adults:3mg/kg/d. max: 5mg/kg/d in 3-4 doses as soon as clinically indicated.

:hunch:

sorry, closest book was PDR pharmacoepedia and dr. seuss "the lorax" didnt have 56 pages.

MasterOfPuppets
11-23-2008, 01:56 AM
will magazines work ??? i used all my books up lighting the grill......:alcoholic

tony hipchest
11-23-2008, 02:05 AM
will magazines work ??? i used all my books up lighting the grill......:alcoholic
lol.

correction- the lorax does have about 60 pages (just no numbers)Now all that was left 'neath the bad-smelling sky
was my big empty factory...
the Lorax
and I.

Steelman16
11-23-2008, 02:28 AM
- Dreamweaver 8 Manual

(page 56 was blank.... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: )

Crushzilla
11-23-2008, 05:39 AM
"I don't guess the State will call anybody since we're having such a fair hearing."

A Time to Kill

nojobny
11-23-2008, 08:29 AM
Add the eggs; process until the dough forms a rough ball , about 30 seconds.

[The Best Soups and Stews: From the Editors of Cooks Illustrated]

Polamalu Princess
11-23-2008, 10:28 AM
"His mind was trying to formulate a motive."

The Chase by Clive Clussler

GutterflowerSteel
11-23-2008, 10:35 AM
He remembered the initial shock: "Four of us got together in this room and started playing."
Jimmy Page, on Zeppelin's chemistry the first time they jammed.

from Hammer of the Gods: The Led Zeppelin Saga ~ Stephen Davis

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-23-2008, 10:41 AM
"His mind was trying to formulate a motive."

The Chase by Clive Clussler

I LOVE Clive Cussler!!!!!!!!

PisnNapalm
11-23-2008, 10:51 AM
"Only years later did further evidence come to light proving his guilt."

1776 by David McCullough

Makaveli
11-23-2008, 02:35 PM
"The reconciliation with Agamemnon and the Greeks was a mere formality to him, and he is still cut off from humanity, a prisoner of his self esteem, his obsession with honor-the imposition of his identity upon all men and all things."

-Introduction to Homer's-The Iliad (Translated by Robert Fagles)

xfl2001fan
11-23-2008, 04:25 PM
For example the letter n makes a sound as in the word no, but the letters p and n together also make the identical sound, such as in pneumonia.

- Medical Transcription Fundamentals

My wife is studying to become a medical transcriptionist to go with her STNA and EMT licenses/certificates. With us having 5 kids (and one on the way) this is the easiest way for her to continue to work in the medical field...especially with me being a Soldier...and the moves we often have to make.

Preacher
11-23-2008, 05:24 PM
"The writings of the leading men and women discussed receive close, objective scrutiny; evaluative comments are inlcuded, and stimulus is provided for further research"

An Introduction to Theological Research: A Guide for College and Seminary Students Cyril J. Barber and Robert M. Krauss. Jr.

fansince'76
11-23-2008, 05:36 PM
During the night, the lead had closed, and Gregory pointed out the solid ice between them and the shore.

Danger Stalks the Land: Alaskan Tales of Death and Survival - by Larry Kaniut

klick81
11-23-2008, 07:00 PM
"The third basic principle of development emphasizes that people have individual differences".

Understanding Human Behavior and the Social Enviroment.

43Hitman
11-23-2008, 07:10 PM
"The option occupied his consideration only for a moment."

Dean Koontz: Velocity

Polamalu Princess
11-23-2008, 08:05 PM
"The option occupied his consideration only for a moment."

Dean Koontz: Velocity

Great book. I have read many of his books and really enjoy the reading.

stlrtruck
11-23-2008, 09:36 PM
Brody simply shifted the box he held to one arm, took the key, unlocked the door.

Angels Fall by Nora Roberts (note to self, don't play games like this when you are visiting your parents)

Preacher
11-23-2008, 09:43 PM
Angels Fall by Nora Roberts (note to self, don't play games like this when you are visiting your parents)

:chuckle:

Let me guess, the only book available at that time? :laughing:

43Hitman
11-23-2008, 10:30 PM
I LOVE Clive Cussler!!!!!!!!

Me too!

GBMelBlount
11-23-2008, 10:47 PM
"Make sure the batteries are fully charged and no one is observing you as you press the record button..."

Bill Belichek - "You can win at anything"

SCSTILLER
11-24-2008, 09:19 AM
"Make sure the batteries are fully charged and no one is observing you as you press the record button..."

:rofl:

SCSTILLER
11-24-2008, 09:21 AM
"Without thinking twice, Cody, a five-nine former football player, vaulted the chain-link fence and charged the snarling dogs."

Decembers edition of Readers Digest, article called A Good Neighbor.

stlrtruck
11-24-2008, 03:17 PM
:chuckle:

Let me guess, the only book available at that time? :laughing:

What gave it away.

Preacher
11-24-2008, 04:20 PM
"In The Postmodern Condition: A Report on Knowledge, Lyotard sets the context of postmodernism within the cultural and ideological crisis of the Western civilization."

Alberbt R. Mohler, "The Integrity of the Evangelical Tradition and the Challenge of the Postmodern Paradigm," an article in The Challenge of Postmodernism: An Evangelical Engagement. Edited by David S. Dockery.

Dino 6 Rings
11-24-2008, 05:50 PM
"What is it, baby?" she asked as if talking to a small child.

Swimming to Catalina
Stuart Woods

Leftoverhard
11-24-2008, 09:07 PM
"This was the work that he proposed I do, to prepare a series of complex liquids and check if they obeyed Onsager's equation, which I accepted with indiscriminate enthusiasm."

Whew. From "The Periodic Table" by Primo Levi. Sitting on the desk - my girl is in Med school.

43Hitman
11-24-2008, 09:21 PM

:sofunny::rofl::toofunny: Epic post man!

Polamalu Princess
11-24-2008, 10:16 PM
I LOVE this thread! Great topic Preach!!!

Polamalu Princess
11-24-2008, 10:19 PM

:sofunny::hug: