PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Steelers Draft: Big Bodies Needed to Protect Big Ben

mesaSteeler
11-23-2008, 03:41 AM
Pittsburgh Steelers Draft: Big Bodies Needed to Protect Big Ben
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/84713-pittsburgh-steelers-draft-big-bodies-needed-to-protect-big-ben
by Jeremy Kohlman (Contributor)

Yes, I realize that it is early. But in my opinion, it is never to early. The Steelers have glaring needs on the OL and in the return game.

Here is my strategy:

We extend McFadden, Kemoeatu, Washington, Batch or Leftwich, and Restricted Free Agents Colon, Davis, Madison, and Smith. This way we can have a little less of a need in more than one area. The area I plan on focusing on is the OL. I would actually plan on trading down.

2a. LT- Sam Young, Notre Dame

He is a massive OT at 330 lbs and 6'8" frame. Big time run blocker, but is athletic and a good pass protector. The biggest way to keep Ben healthy is by reestablishing a struggling running game. Young can do that.

2b. RT- Fenuki Tupou, Oregon

He is very similar to Young. Weighs in at 323 lbs and is a tall at 6'5". Another strong and athletic T to help reestablish the running game and provide efficient protection for Ben.

3a. DL- B.J. Raji, Boston College

He is a dark horse in this draft because of his inelligibilty due to his grades. He was a dominant at Boston College, and he has reportedly dropped 15 lbs to improve his stamina. Sounds like the next great NT for the Steelers. He will be just like Hampton.

3b. WR/RS- Derrick Williams, Penn State

Normally, I would never draft a return man this high. However, I would be high on crack to pass this dude up. He is electric in the return game. He is a threat to take it to the house every time and his WR skills could boost the depth.
Author Poll

3/4. CB- Mark Parson, Ohio

In my honest opinion, this dude is going to be a flat out baller. He has a good 4.4 40 time, 6'0" tall, and has great hands. He is the next Ike Taylor. Comes from a small school but is going to be able to shadow WRs all day long. He would be a steal this late.

4. WR- Jordan Shipley, Texas

Some would question my logic with this pick. The Steelers just drafted a WR in Limas Sweed. But here are the facts: no one knows how much longer Ward is going to be putting up numbers and Washington just cannot catch the ball frequently enough. I want another WR to challenge Washington's #3 WR spot. I am firm believer that Ward will get another contract, but I feel it will be to play as a underneath WR.

5. DL- Ron Brace, Boston College

Ron Brace has been a huge part of the success of this team due to Raji's bad grades. He has 6 sacks this year and is a quick penetrator. He will be just like Hampton.

6. C- Eric Wood, Louisville

Hartwig is not the answer, and I don't Stapleton is either. Wood has never missed a game and is a rock to field an OL around. Wood would get more attention if his team was living up to expectations. A rock I tell you.

7a. CB- Christopher Owens, San Jose State

He is yet another small school CB who will go unnoticed in the first five rounds. This kid has Ike Taylor written all over him, except he has hands with his 6 career picks.

7b. G- Rich Ohrnberger, Penn State

He is a huge reason for the success of this team. He is solid in every aspect of his game. He would make a good LG, putting Kemoeatu in at RG.

My thoughts regarding this draft are very centered.....fix the OL for love of Ben. Ben should not have to be running for his life against top defenses. Now I am not taking away from those defenses, more just trying to understand how the OL has gotten so bad. Bad drafting is the No. 1 cause.

Willie Colon, Tony Hills (jury is still out on him, let's see what he does in training camp), and then the lack of drafting OL. It is incredible that the Steelers organization has completely left the issue unaddressed these past five seasons. Hopefully, Tomlin and Kevin Colbert finally can put together a draft of great talent in the trenches.

I will be absoultely ticked if we draft a RB, TE, FB, or a QB. There is absolutely no reason to draft one. None. If it happens, it is a wasted pick unless extreme value is there.

Dinger
12-07-2008, 06:58 PM
It doesnt get bigger than Herman Johnson, Duke Robinson is better though

MDSteel15
12-08-2008, 12:29 AM
Dude, quit being a homer with those Penn State bums!

Shreveport Steeler
12-25-2008, 11:51 AM
Herman Johnson would be a great draft. Being an LSU fan, I have seen him play several games. We need some protection on the left side and I think he would be perfect.

lilyoder6
12-25-2008, 12:04 PM
well shipley as been granted his 6th season o he won't be declaring...

also bout derrick williams.. that is a good pick he is electrifying...

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-25-2008, 12:57 PM
Sam Young has been playing RT most of this season. He looks a bit stiff and not that athletic. I think he will project out at a RT in the NFL and might be around in the 4th or 5th round.

Oher, Monroe, Jason Smith, Andre Smith, Phil Loadholt, Eben Britton, Jamon Meridith, Russel Okung and Alex Boone will all likely be taken ahead of Young.

That and I would say no to Herman Johnson. No way that guy can ever get out to block on a screen pass. The fact that most here thought that Kemoateu was too slow to pull is funny, because Kemo is Usain Bolt compared to Johnson. Duke Robinson, yes. Dockery from Texas too would be fine.

Texasteel
12-25-2008, 06:05 PM
Dockerys injurys in the past may drag him down the board a bit. Could be a hell of a pick.
Johnsons 40 could be timed using a sundial.

millwalldavey
12-25-2008, 06:08 PM
Not a Lion fan, but I'd love to snake one or 2 of those OL from PSU. Thats a NICE line they have.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-26-2008, 12:20 AM
Dockerys injurys in the past may drag him down the board a bit. Could be a hell of a pick.
Johnsons 40 could be timed using a sundial. Yeah, not that the 40 is that big of a deal. Johnson is the proverbial "moutntain of a man", but he doesnt seem to be able to bend down and get low to get under defenders. It works for the most part in college, but solid DT's like either Williams in Minnesota will stand a guy like that up and make the tackle. IMO.

Texasteel
12-26-2008, 01:58 AM
Yeah, not that the 40 is that big of a deal. Johnson is the proverbial "moutntain of a man", but he doesnt seem to be able to bend down and get low to get under defenders. It works for the most part in college, but solid DT's like either Williams in Minnesota will stand a guy like that up and make the tackle. IMO.

I tend to agree with you. When people talk about Johnson you can bet they are talking about his size. Remember in the pros he will not be seeing to many 275 DTs. Most of the players he will be lining up against will be well over 300 themselves, and quicker than most he has seen, on a regular bases anyway.
You look at guys like Dockery, Feinga, Urbik, and Vasquez, these are not small people, and they very well could end up better pros.

kkeener16
01-27-2009, 09:47 PM
We need to get mack or unger in the first round.. Guys who can play the whole line and center.. Then get a monster guard in the second maybe even trade a player and a seventh round pick to move up in the second.. After that I would work on cb and maybe take a chance in the fourth on a rb like the kid from uconn... thanks

MDSteel15
01-27-2009, 10:57 PM
We need to get mack or unger in the first round.. Guys who can play the whole line and center.. Then get a monster guard in the second maybe even trade a player and a seventh round pick to move up in the second.. After that I would work on cb and maybe take a chance in the fourth on a rb like the kid from uconn... thanks

If we don't take Mack in the first, Unger will be there in the 2nd... BUT WHY would we take a RB???? We just drafted one in the first last year! :popcorn:

drizze99
01-27-2009, 11:26 PM
Raji won't be there in the 3rd.

I would like to get Mack at the 32 pick.

IronFan
01-30-2009, 07:56 PM
Yeah. Raji will be long gone by the third.

KeiselPower99
01-30-2009, 08:22 PM
I really think Doug Legursky is gonna be a solid guy for us on the O line soon. I wouldnt be suprised to see him seriously challenge Stapleton or Kemo next year at guard or even Hartwig at center.